@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Tarrier's Take...Central crushed Memorial 42-13

Go down

Tarrier's Take...Central crushed Memorial 42-13 Empty Tarrier's Take...Central crushed Memorial 42-13

Post  tarrier on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm

My game story for NHSportsPage.com...

Manchester Central bounced back from a 2 game offensive funk with an impressive 42-13 win over city rival Manchester Memorial on Saturday afternoon at Chabot-McDonough Field. Quarterback Riley Cote had a huge 1st half with 220 yards passing and 2 TD’s as the Little Green jumped out to a 26-6 lead at the break. Cote threw 2 more touchdowns in the 3rd quarter to up the lead to 42-6. He finished the day 13 of 21 for 237 yards and 4 TDs before being relieved by sophomore back up Richie Greely midway thru the 3rd quarter. Hector Velez was asked to carry the load for Central on the ground with fellow running back David Weekly out sick for the game. Velez responded with 148 yards with 2 touchdowns on 14 attempts. Troy Pelletier caught 2 of the 4 Cote touchdown passes. Abe Madra and Jeme Aguilar had the other 2 Central TD grabs as the lopsided score turned it into a “running clock” for most of the 2nd half. By rule, this happens when a team goes up by 35 points or more in the 2nd half.
Jared Ombati, who ran for nearly 300 yards last week in a win over Londonderry, led the Crusaders in this one with 70 yards on 15 carries. QB Stephen Deane threw a 12 yard TD pass to Deon Ball that made it 12-6 late in the 1st quarter. Deane also shoveled a short pass to Pierre Noel who raced up the middle for a 52 yard score making it 42-13 Central with just over 8 minutes left in the game.
Talking to Memorial coach Peter Colcord after the game, he told me that part of the problem defensively for his team was that leading tackler Umear Sheikh likely sustained a broken hand early in the 1st quarter and never returned. Sheikh also plays left guard on offense for the Crusaders who were also without another starting offensive lineman who didn’t play at all because of disciplinary reasons. Colcord admitted that at 1-3 in the division the Crusaders playoff chances are probably out the window, but this is not the time to give up on the season. “I told them that we still have 5 games left and we still gotta play ‘em all and we’re still playing for Turkey Bowl and who knows what’s gonna happen.”
On the Central sideline after the game, coach Ryan Ray was happy to see the return of the high scoring Little Green offense which can beat you with both the run and the pass. When asked by Union Leader reporter Jim Fennell about the luxury of having 2 quality running backs like Weekly and Velez to compliment the potent passing game of Riley Cote and company the coach said, “It’s awesome! I mean, it makes my job as the offensive coordinator a whole lot easier knowing that if we’re not throwing the ball real well we can turn around and give it to 2 real good tailbacks and a real good fullback in Andrew Slingsby.”. Central, now 3-1 in the division, takes on 2-1 Nashua South on Friday night at Gill Stadium. The winner of that game has the inside track on 1 of the 4 playoff spots in D1.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum