New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Final spot on the 12 man roster

+5
nhhoopsguy
GNG
rwvogeley
Tulliver
HaleyNHsports
9 posters

Go down

Final spot on the 12 man roster Empty Final spot on the 12 man roster

Post  HaleyNHsports Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Ok I'm going to the forum members on this one;

In my last Thursday Thoughts column every year I name the 12 seniors I would select to play Vermont (if the game were actually happening), I've got 11 guys set...I'm going to the forum to tell me who should be the 12th guy as I write the article.

My two guys to choose between are;

Aaron Martin of Manchester West
&
Joe McCarthy of Bishop Guertin

Love to hear your thoughts/arguments. They're both very good so no bad mouthing either kid obviously..

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Final spot on the 12 man roster Empty Re: Final spot on the 12 man roster

Post  Tulliver Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

I go Aaron Martin because I think that West had a harder road to travel than BG and Martin was a steadying force.

Nothing at all against McCarthy but I think BG should have gone farther and I'm a little disappointed about their stalls.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Final spot on the 12 man roster Empty 12th Player

Post  rwvogeley Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree that Aaron Martin is the player to select. In playing against BG he was featured in their offense and I was impressed at how he developed this past year. He game a total ;presence to the game, backdoor cuts, leading the break and not turning over the ball, shooting and leadership. He seemed to fit into a team structure that their coach established.
Joe is a good player but I think that Aaron has more to offer in a team concept.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I hate to pick one over the other when I haven't seen the other play. Seen Joe numerous times. Never saw Martin. I am interested to read who your other 11 are though.

Remember I picked Joe as my player of the year, Lunn as my breakout player of the year, and Lafond as key mid season pickup of the year. I wish Lafond would have stuck around. Very few in the state realize just how good he was defensively. Very few. It would have been something to see him matchup with Floras.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Final spot on the 12 man roster Empty 12th Player

Post  rwvogeley Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

I too would like to see the 12 players picked for a game that ,I guess, isn't going to happen. I get sick and tired of the political right thing of some of the players that are chosen and they lose year after year.
Now to get to GNG

Thank you for your substantial effort this past winter ont he lottery. You comments were 'choice' pearls of wisdom....However...
I understand that you bleed green and gold, and in the past have asked if there are 19 players in the state better than McCarthy.....
Both Martin and McCarthy needed to lead there teams this year. I think Martin did it by playing all facets of the game, defense, offense being a leader and following a system.
If I was sstarting a team I would look for a multi dimensinal player who improved this year, than a player who really missed a great opportunity for a great senior year.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopsguy Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:23 am

Picking a player for the 12 spot sometimes comes down to what players are around you.
Could most forum menbers name other players on West?
But we know a lot of Bg players, based on transfers, and a lot talk of a top tier program.
I had not heard one thing about Martin,preseason, but few times I did see him play, he was outstanding!
Mcarthy, had a lot of talent around him, including Holler and Kesty.
So I would pick Martin.

nhhoopsguy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Final spot on the 12 man roster Empty It was fun

Post  8992 Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 am

It's a shame that this game doesn't take place anymore.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 am

It really is a shame. It's a game that went back 30/40 years and I'm dissapointed it was discontinued.

My column clocked in at just over 6,000 words so I broke it up into two parts with part I coming tomorrow morning. I hope people enjoy it.

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 am

1) Tully, please clarify the following statement:

"BG should have gone farther and I'm a little disappointed about their stalls."

2) I would go with Martin because he has a better overall game. He can hit the 3, medium range jumper and slash to the hoop to create offense. He is very good defensively and makes his team mates better. He is coachable and adapts to the changes in a game with the skill set he brings to a basketball game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Aaron Martin it is. He's in there.

Thank you very much for the feedback everyone. I appreciate and respect all of the opinions.

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:1) Tully, please clarify the following statement:

"BG should have gone farther and I'm a little disappointed about their stalls."

2) I would go with Martin because he has a better overall game. He can hit the 3, medium range jumper and slash to the hoop to create offense. He is very good defensively and makes his team mates better. He is coachable and adapts to the changes in a game with the skill set he brings to a basketball game.

I think BG had more building blocks as a team and they had more experience as a team. West got farther than my original expectations, in large part from Martin, and I thought BG would have been to semis. I don't Blame BG on McCarthy - I just thought they fell short thus my vote.

But I am PM-ing you a snarky clarification - man to man

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Can't wait to get home and read this "man ti man" PM!!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 am

HaleyNHsports wrote: It really is a shame. It's a game that went back 30/40 years and I'm dissapointed it was discontinued.

My column clocked in at just over 6,000 words so I broke it up into two parts with part I coming tomorrow morning. I hope people enjoy it.

That was a thoroughly enjoyable read this morning, especially the Groveton/Littleton section. In a few words, you really captured the feel of small-town New Hampshire basketball. Nicely done.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 am

SeacoastDad wrote:

That was a thoroughly enjoyable read this morning, especially the Groveton/Littleton section. In a few words, you really captured the feel of small-town New Hampshire basketball. Nicely done.

I told Dave the same thing...felt like I was eating popcorn with the old-timers sharing stories of players past and listening to the squeak of the sneakers. Here's NHSportsPage's article SeacoastDad and I are referring to.

http://nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=822
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down