@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS - Page 2 Empty Re: D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Junior Brown lead Central with 14. Pelletier had 10.

Wenyin lead Memorial with 10. Akot had 9.

LaCount injured his shoulder in the 1st period and didn't return.

Sophomore Mike Plentzas was huge filling in for the injured LaCount by scoring 9 points.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 am

Here's the Spaulding bus crash story from Foster's:

Spaulding High basketball player taken to hospital after school bus accident

By ANDREA BULFINCH
abulfinch@fosters.com

Friday, March 9, 2012

MANCHESTER — One Spaulding High School student was transported to a Manchester hospital Friday evening after being injured in an accident involving the school bus transporting the boys basketball team to their playoff game in Nashua and a tractor-trailer.

According to Manchester District Fire Chief Jim Michael, a tractor-trailer truck glanced the rear left corner of the bus as it was merging from the Route 101 ramp onto Route 293 where the road merges from two lanes to one — an area Michael said sees frequent collisions.

The student injured was transported to Eliot Hospital in Manchester with injuries that were not life threatening. The unidentified youth was released from the hospital after being evaluated and sent home with his parents.

The other 20 students, two coaches and bus driver were transported back to Rochester in a Manchester school bus, as the Spaulding bus was not operable.

Rescue crews from the Manchester Fire Department along with State Police Troop B crews responded to the scene at 5:37 p.m.

Michaels said the bus driver was fantastic in keeping the bus upright during the collision.

"He did a great job to keep the kids alive and well," he said.

Michaels said the road was shut down only briefly while students were offloaded from the Spaulding bus and ushered onto transportation from Manchester.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:23 am

Box score from the Trinity - Alvirne game. Balanced scoring from Trinity. Beaulieu and Dunn combining for 10 for the Broncos was certainly a big key for Trinity getting the win.

Sylvere Aluko 4
Mabor Gabriel 15
Carmen Giampetruzzi 11
Jake Hamel 4
Andrew Lauderdale 13
Ian Sistare 8
Patrick Keefe 10

Alvirne
Antonio Beaulieu 6
Tyler Brown 13
Britton Doyle 0
Sean Dunn 4
Dan Kingsley 0
Tyler Livingston 7
Jim Tomaswick 10
Alec Yoksh 13

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am

That bus crash story for Spaulding is scary stuff Seacoastdad. If it's the area I'm thinking about they say it's where 101 two lanes turns into one on 293. It's supposed to turn to one, but the area is so wide for one lane. Drivers still try to make 2 lanes all the time.

Michaels said the bus driver was fantastic in keeping the bus upright during the collision.

"He did a great job to keep the kids alive and well," he said.

Very scary to read the above quote from the article.

Time is of the essence to get the North - Spaulding game rescheduled. The semis are this Monday . In all my years of following HS basketball I've never seen a circumstance like this.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS - Page 2 Empty Rules?

Post  Bert54the1 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 am

"Sophomore Mike Plentzas was huge filling in for the injured LaCount by scoring 9 points."

I guess that it doesn't matter if you play Varsity during the year, then play in the JV tournament, then play varsity again in the playoffs.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:25 am

I was driving back from the North game thinking where could have this happened,

and immediately thought of that area on 101 and 93 between exit 8 and 7 on 101 and 93 that is really bad merge.

But that is not 293? so I am not sure so are they describing the area right after the Bridge on 293 101 where you get the exit to the Everett Turnpike that is bad as well

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopsguy on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 am

Bert54the1 wrote:"Sophomore Mike Plentzas was huge filling in for the injured LaCount by scoring 9 points."

I guess that it doesn't matter if you play Varsity during the year, then play in the JV tournament, then play varsity again in the playoffs.
Many schools will have players that split time with both Varsity and JV.
But it was dissapointing to see multiple Central players that played 3or 4 qtrs of the JV tournament final against Winny, be the some of the first players off the bench and play alot of minutes in the varsity tournament the next night!

nhhoopsguy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopsguy on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 am

goldenbear wrote:I was driving back from the North game thinking where could have this happened,

and immediately thought of that area on 101 and 93 between exit 8 and 7 on 101 and 93 that is really bad merge.

But that is not 293? so I am not sure so are they describing the area right after the Bridge on 293 101 where you get the exit to the Everett Turnpike that is bad as well

A lot of times it is scary making the crossover from 293 to 93 to 101 heading back to seacoast, as well as heading 101 to 93 to 293 !
I know its not fun coming from Trinity HS, to 93, to 101, as it is a very short distance to make the left lane heading home!

nhhoopsguy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 am

"But it was dissapointing to see multiple Central players that played 3or 4 qtrs of the JV tournament final against Winny, be the some of the first players off the bench and play alot of minutes in the varsity tournament the next night!"
nhhoopsguy

FYI - The Winny JV roster had 6 juniors and 9 sophomores on it. The Central roster had no juniors with 7 sophomores and 3 freshman.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhssports on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 am

Glad to hear there was nothing serious with the Spaulding accident. It's amazing given the number of teams and the number of bus rides, and sometimes the amount of snow and bad weather, that stuff like that doesn't happen more often. Thank God it doesn't.

nhhssports
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:49 am

Spaulding High basketball team's bus in accident; one hospitalized, game postponed
By TIM BUCKLAND and MARK LABORE
New Hampshire Union Leader
Published Mar 10, 2012

MANCHESTER — A bus carrying a Rochester high school basketball team was struck by a tractor trailer Friday evening on Interstate 93.

The bus and truck were entering Interstate 93 South from Route 101 shortly before 6 p.m. Friday when they collided, said city Fire District Chief Jim Michael.

One student, Connor Noe, was taken to Elliot Hospital after being “showered with glass” and complaining of a shoulder injury, said Bruce Dumais, statistician of the Spaulding High School basketball team.

State police Trooper Stephen Puopolo said police are investigating the cause, though alcohol and speed are not considered factors in the crash, nor is mechanical error.

“It's a human malfunction,” he said. “We're trying to discern if the bus swerved into the truck or if the truck swerved into the bus.”

The passenger side of the truck's cab struck the left rear portion of the bus, the trooper said.

“Hats off to the school bus driver,” Michael said. “The bus got hit pretty good. I would say he did a hell of a job driving.”

Dumais said the bus's rear window was shattered and the rear seat was driven into the next seat when the truck hit the bus. Noe was sitting in a back seat nearest the collision, Puopolo said.

“Most of it was the surprise of what happened,” Dumais said. “The big question is how the kids will be feeling tomorrow morning.”

The team was taken to Beech Street Elementary School, where another bus picked them up to take the students home. A Division I quarterfinal game at Nashua High School North, which is where the team was heading, was postponed, Dumais said.

“The reschedule is not in the works yet, because we don't know how many of the kids will be OK in the morning,” he said.

Puopolo said the drivers of the truck and bus, whose names were not available, were not injured in the crash.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Spaulding at North will be played tomorrow at 7- Evidently Spaulding was told "Play tomorrow or forefit", by the NHIAA, although they still have some kids banged up.

Semi's have been moved to TUESDAY at UNH- I'll be in Nashua broadcasting live tomorrow if you can't make it out on a school night- the link is wtsnam1270.com Basketball

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Granitehoops40 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:"But it was dissapointing to see multiple Central players that played 3or 4 qtrs of the JV tournament final against Winny, be the some of the first players off the bench and play alot of minutes in the varsity tournament the next night!"
nhhoopsguy

FYI - The Winny JV roster had 6 juniors and 9 sophomores on it. The Central roster had no juniors with 7 sophomores and 3 freshman.

The Winny roster did have 6 juniors and 9 sophs on it...during the regular season. When the jv tourney started that roster was reduced to 3 juniors who were called up full time to Varsity. This should be the rule or put a cap on games played in/quarters played for varsity. Plentzas played in 15 of 18 games according to NH sports page stats plus much of the playoff game vs Winny. He was very good for central in the jv tourney scoring 12-15 of their points.

Programs and coaches should win the right way and not stack the deck. It's a JV tourney and it should just be Kids who played JV and freshman who get called up from freshman teams.

Granitehoops40
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am

"Evidently Spaulding was told "Play tomorrow or forefit", by the NHIAA, although they still have some kids banged up."
Justin Mc

Justin, I know it's a tough situation with the bus crash, condensed time problem for schedule and the psyche of the Spaulding team.

Did Spaulding ask for an alternative scheduling situation for their situation? Given the week's schedule at UNH was there 1, 2 or no other options to reschedule this as far as NHIAA went?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:13 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:"Evidently Spaulding was told "Play tomorrow or forefit", by the NHIAA, although they still have some kids banged up."
Justin Mc

Justin, I know it's a tough situation with the bus crash, condensed time problem for schedule and the psyche of the Spaulding team.

Did Spaulding ask for an alternative scheduling situation for their situation? Given the week's schedule at UNH was there 1, 2 or no other options to reschedule this as far as NHIAA went?

Oh I'm not saying they should've had the game any other day but today, as logistically it probably couldn't fit, (unless you played it tomorrow, and had the semi's on Thursday?) but given the NHIAA's track record of not making the best decisions, I'll lean towards "There was probably a better solution that they didn't bother to look at" Razz

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  waterwing on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 pm

There were no options presented by the NHIAA to reschedule despite numerous pleas by the Spaulding contingent. It was forfeit or play on Sunday as previously stated regardless of injuries, state of mind of the players and coaches, and no basketball for 3 days. Amazing that the governing body of basketball in NH has so little regard for the health and well being of these athletes, citing the scheduling dilemna as the determining factor.

waterwing
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS - Page 2 Empty Waterwing, are you new to NH?

Post  GNG on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm

The NHIAA is a poorly run organization. They are incapable of thinking outside the box.

If their is a wrong decision to be made, they will make it.

They are a joke that isn't funny.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  waterwing on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 pm

I have lived in NH my whole life, played basketball for a Seacoast HS team many years ago and attended approximately 30 games this year, yet still stand in amazement at some of the decisions handed down by this supposed lead organization over the years.

waterwing
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's QUARTERFINALS - Page 2 Empty Spaulding!!!

Post  Bert54the1 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Red Raiders have the karma despite the NHIAA.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Final in Overtime Spaulding 71 North 63

Paradis with 20 points leads Spaulding including going 10 for 10 from the ft line in the 4th quarter snd OT.

Noe with 17 and Roberts with 14.

Roberts banked in a 3 pointer with 4 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 55 and send it to OT.

North had Williams with 18 Mellin with 15 and Farmerwith 13.

Gauthier had 1 point in the first. 30 minutes of the game then hit a 3. He finished with 9 points.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Before I go off I want to here others opinion on the T that changed the whole game

my take was Spaulidng was trying to foul on purpose do to the back injury of a player

a foul was committed on Guatheir and then second later a Spaulding player was hanging on Mellin who shoved him off. Mellin is t'd up 47-40 lead goes to 47-45

I would like to have Justin take if he had a different view point

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

G-Bear, the Technical you are talking about happened with 4:20 left in the game and North leading 47 to 40. Gauthier had the ball outside the top of the key in the North offensive end. Gauthier was fouled. A couple of seconds later Mellin shoved a Spaulding player to the court at the extended elbow part of the court about 10 feet from where the live ball foul was commited on Gauthier. Instead of North taking the ball out on a possession foul in front of their bench Paradis goes to the other end and sinks both technical FTs to make it 47 - 42 North. Spaulding then inbounds the ball at center court and misses a 2 point attempt. Spaulding gets the rebound in the paint, kicks it outside the arc to Connor Noe who buries a 3 to make it 47 to 45 North.

Definitely the changing point of the game.

Now, in all honesty I did not see the shove on Mellin by a Spaulding player that happened seconds before in front of the North bench that precipitated the retaliation shove back from Mellin. A friend of mine told me afterwards that Mellin was definitely shoved by a Spaulding player before in front of the North bench. Mellin then carried the frustration of the shove/no call back towards the Spaulding player and shoved him back.

We all know, even when cave men used to play sports, the second shove or retaliation is usually the one seen by officials 90 to 99% of the time. It's a fact of sports, officials calls and the way of the game. This is not nothing we haven't seen before. Was North warranted in retaliating for a first foul or shove? Maybe. Was North warranted to do it when up by 7 in a quarterfinal playoff game with 4:20 left in the game and having possession of the ball?

You can give the answer on that one.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Spaulding 16 8 13 18 16 - 71
North 12 14 13 16 8 - 63

Spaulding - Paradis 20 Noe 17 Roberts 14 MacGregor 9 Juneau 4 Nevajens 4

North - Williams 18 Mellin 15 Farmer 13 Gauthier 9 Jamerson 4 O'Connor 4 Wilson 2

- Gauthier had one made FT in the first 30 minutes of the game. He finally hit a 3 with 2 minutes left in regulation for his first field goal.

- Mellin played an outstanding game scoring 15 points on 6 two's and 1 three. He ran the floor all night and would've been the MVP of the game had North won.

- Paradis was 12 for 12 from the FT line including 4 - 4 in the 4th period and 6 - 6 in OT.

- The Roberts 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds left in regulation was extended elbow and he banked it in. It was the second banked 3 he had in the game.

- Even though Roberts had 14 points Gauthier played great defense on him all night forcing Roberts into turnovers and making it tough for Spaulding to run their offense for long stretches of the game.

- 25 minutes before tap off the Spaulding fans out numbered the North fans 5 to 1. The Spaulding side was full of a red sea of shirts. Justin told me they were all there an hour before tap off.

- Javon Williams played an excellent game in his last career game finishing with 18. He had a couple of spectacular blocks and a boat load of rebounds and steals.

- The red sea of emotion between Spaulding players, parents, coaches and fans was evident after the game. There were many hugs of emotion. You could feel the gasp of air being let out with their tough and trying weekend which went downhill starting at 5:37 pm on Friday with the bus accident and finished with an unbelievable wave of emotion on the Titan court after the final buzzer sounded.

- Justin has a nice red ride of a car with the WTSN logo all over it. Hope he doesn't get a speeding ticket on Rte 3, 293, 101 or 125 on the way home tonight with all his Red Raider exuberance flowing through him Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Just got in! What a game. I didn't see the incident that resulted in the T, I was watching PJ Juneau, who committed a foul to get a stoppage, as on the previous North possession, he got hit in what we refer to in broadcasting as "The Mommy/Daddy button", and was just trying to get a stoppage.

I saw the SHS kid hit the deck, and I know that the ref was right on top of the play.

-- VERY Physical game, refs let them play on both ends. I commented that SHS and North would both need more ice after this one than Spaulding did after the bus crash!

-- First time seeing Gauthier play, SHS did a decent job on defense with him, but he clearly just didn't have it tonight. He didn't have a FG until the 4th quarter IIRC

-- Javon Williams kept North in this game. Spaulding got up by 7 or 9 in the 1st, and he kept answering back. I know T&F said his play has been "inconsistent", to put it mildly, but he was North's best player on offense and defense tonight. Also, he was inconsolable after the game

-- Can't say enough about Dominic Paradis at the FT line. I can't even remember how many games I've seen lost at the line, but Paradis hit 10 FT's in the 4th + OT.

-- Luke Roberts 3 was crazy. There was a 4 man scrum for the ball on the floor, I thought they would blow the whistle, but the ball had eyes and found Roberts

-- Connor Noe had a hell of a game for a kid that was nearly killed 2 nights ago. He was the SHS player that went in for a look at the hospital, but he had either 20 or 17 points off the bench, and made some clutch shots.

That's it for me, I've got to be at the station at 5- see you guys at UNH!!

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:04 am

"VERY Physical game, refs let them play on both ends. I commented that SHS and North would both need more ice after this one than Spaulding did after the bus crash!"
Justn Mac

Now, that is a good one Justin!!!!

I still can't get over the release of emotion from the Red Raider players, coaches, parents and fans after the game. It was almost "winning a championship-like." It will be interesting how they respond to the 6:00 pm semi final game with Merrimack on Tuesday after only having an under 2 day turn around. One thing I know for sure...... There will be a lot of Red Raider Red at Lundholm on Tuesday at 6:00 pm. I told GNG I might have a Red Raider basketball tee shirt overnighted to me for Tuesday. Any way you can help me out on this tee shirt situation, Justin?

XL fits me nicely Cool Cool Cool

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum