New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Prep School Basketball in our backyard

+2
EBlessNHSP
Hoop Fan
6 posters

Go down

Prep School Basketball in our backyard Empty Prep School Basketball in our backyard

Post  Hoop Fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 am

Did anyone see the article in the Hippo several weeks ago about NH prep school basketball? It is amazing the amount of high school talent that is in our own backyard, with teams like Tilton, Brewster, and New Hampton. The article states that the NEPSAC (New England Prep School Athletic Council) is the most competitive high school basketball conference in the country.

Several former NHIAA players are thriving at the prep level. Former Nashua South player Kaleb Joseph has turned into one of the top point guards in the country, with offers already from Tennessee, Maryland, BC, and Providence. Of course, Claremont's Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the top big men in the country and already committed to Arizona. Hopkinton's Mike Auger is at New Hampton Prep and has improved tremendously, getting looks from several D1 schools.

Former BG player Connor Green is tearing it up at Phillips Exeter, averaging over 20 ppg for the 7-1 Exeter squad. Green is coming off a 32 point/8 rebound perfomance against Maine Central Institute, the defending Class AAA prep champion. MCI has 5-6 D1 players, including 6'8 Xavier-commit, James Farr.

Other former NH players doing well are Mike Lombard (Proctor), Devin Gilligan (KUA), Jamie Holder (Notre Dame Prep), and Richard O'Brien (Brewster).

Hoop Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Prep School Basketball in our backyard Empty Re: Prep School Basketball in our backyard

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Definitely no secret that the Prep Schools in NH are some of the best for Boys Hoop. We are the newest hotbed area of talent and the NEPSAC is arguably the best league in the country. That said - it doesn't get a lot of press around here (the Hippo wrote an article - wow!) mainly because there is not a lot of homegrown talent on those teams. These are kids from all over the country/world looking to get that extra year of education/athletics to further their collegiate dreams. A lot of the talk on this board tends to be somewhat negative (although I have a feeling there will be less of that now) towards Prep Schools as some have felt its an unfair advantage to those that have the ability to do it.

MANY NHIAA graduates have moved on to Prep and now are successful DI, DII and DIII hoops players. Go check the NH Players in College forum and you'll find many of those kids went Prep for a year or two to get that extra year of experience and college prep.

Brewster Academy won the National Championship a few years ago, and Thomas Robinson from Kansas, the leading candidate for POY in the NCAA is a Brewster Alumn. Many many many talented players in our regions with spectacular coaches and programs. It would be worth your time to go to one of the Invitational weekends hosted by these various schools and catch as many games as you can, lots of entertaining games many of which will include future DI talent and likely some NBA talent as well.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Prep School Basketball in our backyard Empty Re: Prep School Basketball in our backyard

Post  Hoop Fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:21 pm

yes Assistant, it was actually a front cover article in the Hippo about 2 weeks ago. I was a little surprised to see it too. It did a nice job covering some of the local kids, including some female players as well, such as Maddie Blais at New Hampton.

Hoop Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 pm

My point is you won't find a lot of articles in the other papers - Union Leader, Telegraph, Herald etc. Probably mostly b/c those Prep schools are not in their coverage region, but you really only see small articles on some of the lakes regions papers or down in the Boston papers. The Boston papers actually do a better job of covering our Prep sports than NH's 3 largest papers do.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm

I also think the preps dont want hug crowds at the games

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm

You're right Asst, the reason they don't get more coverage is because for the most part these aren't home grown kids on these teams. Hoopfan mentioned Tilton, New Hampton and Brewster. Well Tilton doesn't have any NH kids that I know of, New Hampton has 2 (Mike Auger and Matt Dean) and Brewster has only 1 (Richard O'Brien). The rest of the kids on these teams come from places like Indiana, North Carolina, etc. and go to school up here for a year or 2 before heading off to the big time D-I college of their choice. It's great basketball yes, but local fans don't has much of a personal connection to these guys like they do with the home grown products in the NHIAA.

That being said, one of the best high school/prep school girls basketball games I've ever seen took place on Saturday afternoon between New Hampton and Tabor. For New Hampton 7 of their top 8 players are local kids from NH while tabor had 2 girls from NH come off their bench. Oh yeah, and there actually was a really good crowd on hand for this game and a great atmosphere. Many of the New hampton boys players were there to cheer on the girls, and there was also a lot of girls hoops junkies there as well as NHIAA players there supporting girls they play AAU with, etc. Check it out: http://www.nhnotebook.com/2012/01/new-hampton-girls-over-tabor-in.html

The NH Notebook's prep school tour continues this Saturday with Tilton vs. Governor's (girls) featuring local players like Katharine Fogarty, Alex Cohen, Kaley Marston a nd Savanna Butterfield. Then the Saturday after that I'll I'll be at the St. Paul's vs. St. Mark's game as 7'0" Kaleb Tarczewski squares off against his former high school teammate at Stevens High in 6'6" Kevin O'Connor.

Last edited by Jeremy Leveille on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 pm

I had some home town friends and their young brothers go to New Hampton in the early 90's to early 2000 on ski scholarships and they would talk about the talent at the schools but how the gyms were empty, I went so See MCcants play there around 2000 and it was full of students and that is it.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Prep School Basketball in our backyard Empty Back yard is right

Post  Saberattler Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:05 am

I was at Hampshire Hills in Milford tonight grabbing a quick workout and swim when I walked by the basketball court and looked in to see what appeared to be a college team working out. I walked inside and noticed Mr Holder standing there watching them practice. I then saw his son Jamie on the floor and realized it was the Notre Dame Prep team working out. He told me this was their first practice back from vacation and that they were trying to get everyone back into shape after a three week layoff. I couldn't help but notice this monster of man with a claw mark tattoo on his chest he told me his name is Steven Adams and that he just got here from New Zealand. I asked him how tall he was? He said seven feet maybe seven one he was all that and more. I couldn't believe how well he moved for that size he made a inside out dribble move by one of their guards and windmilled a left handed thunder dunk that nearly caused an earth quake. The scarey thing is he's right handed. Mr Holder told me he's predicted to number two in the 2013 NBA draft. All I know is I got to see some incredible basketball talent tonight and talk about right in your back yard wow!!!

Saberattler
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhssports Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 am

Part of the reason newspapers don't cover the prep schools is for just what Jeremy said - the kids aren't from the coverage area. But what that really means is that covering those teams won't sell enough papers to justify it, especially when there are already a dozen other schools to cover with kids who are from the area, with parents who could likely buy the paper. A paper like the Telegraph can cover a school like Bishop Guertin because there are kids at the school who are from the coverage area. That's also why the Eagle Tribune or Lowell Sun will occasionally cover BG.

As for Steve Adams - so glad Jamie Dixon found out about him several years ago. I just hope he stays at Pitt longer than Khem Birch.

nhhssports
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down