@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm

Go down

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm Empty BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 pm

There are some games in a season that perhaps mean more than some other games. The BG at West game on Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm might be one of those. You could use the term, "Fork in the road game" for this tilt. Think about how both of these teams felt about their chances immediately after their respective holiday tournaments. BG was coming off a nice regular season victory over Central and a good showing in their Mass holiday tournament. West sent people scurrying to their programs and other sources to find out: "Just exactly who are these guys?"

The feel good aura of the end of 2011 has turned into rubber meeting the 2012 road for both teams. The D1 road has not been kind to the BG and West rubber this past week. They were a combined 0 - 4 and searching for answers. After BG lost to Alvrine Friday Coach Migs had this quote for the Telegraph:

“We have a lot of dysfunctional things going on on the bench and that has to stop.’’

The above quote isn't the type of thing you want to see from the head coach to start a new year. So, here we are with 6:30 pm on Monday coming at the West and Bg squads. Trust me. This is a very important game for both teams.The victor gets back on to a possibly smoother D1 road for 2012. The loser gets to look inside their basketball soul and question what happened to all the nice stuff that was happening near the end of 2011 on the basketball court.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm Empty Re: BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm

Post  The Observer on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I wouldnt say th dysfunctionality is on the bench. That takes place on the court.

I think there is a breakdown in communication between Migs and his players on the floor because they are not playing as a cohesive unit. The bench isn't the problem.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm

If I am reading the "coachspeak" correctly, I believe Migs' reference to the bench encompasses the team as a whole. Nobody knows the team better than the coach, and based on the results of the last couple of games, it seems as though he has to be looking for some of that all important senior leadership to show up. He had it in abundance last year, and there is still time to find it this year, but the window is short...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Correct on your post Hoopfan4. Migs is definitely talking about his senior leadership or lack there of this past week. Last year's BG team sucked it up when the tough got going on and off the court. This year's team has to go through a quick maturation process or the potential for "in fighting" will be high. This is what makes tomorrow night's game so big for BG and West. The loser could go into a tail spin (BG to 8th to 12th place and West 12th to 16th place) and quite frankly keep them there for a while if not good part of the season.

An associate gave me a quote today which is so perfect for the BG at West game:

"Drama is one of those intangibles that takes out a lot of talented teams."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 am

If Migs is looking for senior leadership I dont think he will find it with this group of seniors. They just seem to be about themselves and arent getting Migs' message.

BG has the talent to be the best team in Div. 1, but as you have both said they need there seniors.

I think there will be some surprise benching if things dont turn around quick.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm Empty Down and out in Beverly Hills.

Post  GNG on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 am

My kids left for college yesterday. They left a housefull of germs.

I never get sick. Never.

Well, almost never. SICK AS A DOG. Sad
coughing, wheezing, snifling. Sad

Gonna try to fight it, but if I feel like this tonight, won't be able to make it.

Back to bed. No

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Just read no Joe Mccarthy for tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 pm

McCarthy, despite how talented, has been a HUGE disturbance in practice. Not good for the Cardinals....

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 pm

West is up 33-28 at half.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:47 pm

West is up 51-40 after 3.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Joe Mc Carthy is not playing due to disciplinary reasons and BG is not looking good right now. 4:45 left West 54 BG 44

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm

1:20 left West 66 BG 59

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Final West 73 BG 63

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am

Once again I bring up the following line:

"Drama is one of those intangibles that takes out a lot of talented teams."

As soon as one walked into West's gym tonight and you noticed BG's leading scorer, Joe McCarthy, sitting on the bench in street clothes you knew drama was a definite intangible for BG tonight. Make no mistake about it. West earned this win tonight. The Blue Knights out hustled, out rebounded and in the end out scored the Cardinals. A BG asst coach said after the game, "Luckily we have some time to get our act together." This is true, but the thing that is ominous for BG is that they were going through this in summer league. They kind of put it in the back pocket in fall league. Now we are in January and there is attitude drama. At this point this team is a shell of what last year's team was. You don't see players working with one another for the team concept. Individuality will kill a basketball team. There are a lot of individuals on this BG team that can play. Put them all together and it becomes forces fighting each other.

For West, 2012 is looking a little brighter now. Aaron Martin and Jocarl Bureau looked like the 1 - 2 punch that was all the rage at the QCIBT. West plays at Exeter this Friday. It is a game West should win, but you can't be certain. On Friday BG entertains a Spaulding team that isn't playing well. This game is a must win for BG. I'm sure BG fans have had enough with drama and want to focus on good team basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:36 am

One can only hope this BG team will pull things together & work as a cohesive unit so we can see this "teams" potential.
I hate to see any team go through these struggles, yet so many important lessons can be learned on how to deal with adversity.

It is important to give kudos to the West Blue Knights who came out in the first quarter shooting well to take an early lead.
The hard work by Lunn, Corbin and Boykin in the first half kept BG in it narrowing the gap to 5 pts. At one point BG got it
down to 2 or 3 pts but BG turnovers that West took advantage of allowed the lead to grow again. Hard game to watch if you
were a Carindals fan and a promising one to watch if a Blue Knights fan.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm Empty "Dysfunctional" defined

Post  tarrier on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:09 am

I talked to coach Migs after the West game tonight and mentioned to him that some BG fans told me McCarthy wasn't playing because he was "benched". His reply? "It was just a coaches decision, that's all". Simple enough. When I asked him what he meant after last Friday night's loss to Alvirne when he told reporters...“We have a lot of dysfunctional things going on on the bench and that has to stop.’’ Migneault said calmly, "Um, you know, instead of listening on the bench to what we're trying to get through, we've got people talking back, and people thinking that they're gonna run the show." "That's all. No big deal. It's just something that you gotta work out sometimes and we're working it out right now."

You think the coach was trying to send a message to his team by sitting his star player in the midst of an early season losing streak that has dropped the Cards under .500?

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

BG at West Jan. 9th at 6:30 pm Empty BG/West

Post  tarrier on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 am

As far as the game itself...West won 73-63 behind 21 from Aaron Martin. Carl Jacques had 15, Travis Descoteaux 13, and sweet shooting soph Nolan Flynn had 10. Quiet night for Jocarl Bureau. For BG, bigman Jeff Lunn had 15 to lead the way for the Cardinals before fouling out with 4:45 to play. CJ Boykin returned from a thumb injury suffered in the XMAS Tourney to score 10 points. This kid is lightning fast with the ability to drive the lane and score over MUCH taller players. He's also a pest on defense. Logan Kesty chipped in with 9 points as did reserve F Jordan Corbin.

According to West coach Danny Bryson, the game was played on Monday night because with the West girls now playing in D2, there were a few scheduling conflicts at Quinn Gym which means the Blue Knight boys team will also be playing a Thursday night game or 2 later this season. That's just fine for people like me who want to see as many different teams as possible. Many coaches took advantage and were in the stands doing a little "scouting" during the game including Trinity's Dave Keefe, Merrimack's Tim Goodridge, Memorial's Mike Fitzpatrick, Exeter's Jeff Holmes and Spaulding's Tim Cronin.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 am

Mr Tarrier: Thanks for the insight on the "Fork in the road" game at the Quinn gym on the beautiful west side of Manchester last night.

The Quinn gym still amazes me every time I walk into it. The lighting still takes a while to get used to it. The shooting backgrounds are still awful. One side has dilapitated banners off center and some what ready to fall. The other side has the Blue Knight mural with a "Braveheart/Mel Gibson" art feel to it. You expect all the painted Blue Knights to start screaming:

FREEDOM !!!

Every time a shot is taken at that side. You have the roman colesseum feel to the upstairs where the team locker rooms are and the NH Notebook crew are doing their Spielbergian filming. The mid court netting is low and lurking ready to take away a key last second pass or shot and become a story in it's own right.

I told a few people last night the only thing that has changed in the last 40 years of the West gym are light bulbs and that is even suspect.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

Now that was funny T&F. It's funny because it's TRUE.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum