New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

+10
E.I.R.
bumper
dadncoach
SeacoastDad
clippafan23
JAF
Tulliver
GNG
Hoopfan4
NHhoops
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty Re: NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 pm

NHhoops wrote:Assistant, I think the NHIAA "transfer affadavit" form applies to schools like BG and Trinity as well. So, the Principal (or AD, not sure) of the "sending" school has to sign a release form allowing the student to participate in athletics at their new school, even if it is a private school. So in essence this is really an issue between the Nashua Public Schools and Bishop Guertin. I'm sure the NHIAA is only involved because the Parkinsons and BG appealed it and requested a hearing.

This definitely sounds like a hearing at which point evidence had to have been or will be presented (I'm guessing hearing already occurred) to show it was primarily for athletics.

I don't know what such evidence would look like - but I would guess since we're into the second season of sports - the hearing happened and was lost.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty It is a rule?

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Then what is the waiver for?

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty Re: NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Circumstances that are not primarily motivated by athletic reasons.

Examples
- kid goes from Private school to public school because mom or dad lost income and cannot afford tuition.
Waiver

Kid needs ELL support and private schools don't provide it and grades are showing decline in testing -
Waiver

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Tulliver wrote:Taking out the fact that I feel bad for the kid... I gotta say -

it's happening because it's the rule
C. A student who transfers enrollment without a corresponding move into a new school district by his/her parents or guardians shall be required to be in attendance in the new school for one (1) year from the date of enrollment in order to establish athletic eligibility. This includes those students who transfer from a non-member school (i.e. prep school, etc.) back to the local school and those students who change schools as a result of change in guardianship (i.e. move to live with different parent/guardian without parent/guardian changing residence).

Interesting...so hypothetically Exeter gave BG a waiver when Brad Holler transferred allowing him to bypass the required 1 year. I don't feel bad for the kid if this is the written rule, it is what it is and they should have (or maybe did) know that this was a possibility going into the season.

We see a lot of transfers every year, especially with Trinity and BG and other Private NHIAA schools, just seems odd this hasn't come up before. Does it boil down to Nashua North is going against standard practice of providing a waiver to allow the student/athlete to play immediately?

I can think of so many instances recently where the player was allowed to play immediately...

BG - Logan Kesty, Brad Holler and others
Trinity - David Madol situationand others
Merrimack - Dmitri Floras

Those are just the higher profile instances in recent memory where players have moved on and played immediately.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Tulliver wrote:Circumstances that are not primarily motivated by athletic reasons.

Examples
- kid goes from Private school to public school because mom or dad lost income and cannot afford tuition.
Waiver

Kid needs ELL support and private schools don't provide it and grades are showing decline in testing -
Waiver

That explains a few of my examples...I don't know the whole story on the BG kids but seems like their move could have been athletically motivated.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I think this has just become more high profile because they talked to the Notebook about it.

There are a lot of transfers that haven't gone down so easily or have been VERY contentious at a variety of schools throughout the state.

I would suspect that the allegations about Pembroke definitely have turned up the heat on all instances as well - or will.

This has been - in my opinion - a simmering issue for awhile and we might now be seeing the boiling point for the NHIAA.

Or maybe someone had sour milk in their cheerios one morning and are making this issue personal.

Strangely enough - I hope it's that they're going to try to be consistent with a system that hasn't been. And, I have heard about other non-related NHIAA issues that suggest they are working on getting some things together.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty Confusion...

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 pm

So do we know if the waiver or the lack of the sign off from Nashua was the determining factor or is this NHIAA talking to the student and feeling this was just athletics? Either way I still remain steadfast that a student owes a school nothing. I mean I think it is silly when college athletes have to sit a year without losing a year of eligibility. This is even more silly with a school or the NHIAA stopping a player from making a life choice by punishing her this way. I understand the need to make things fair and be consistent in the rules and laws but maybe it is time for the NHIAA to get out of our family decisions and just run the athletic programs. The decision that has been made benefits no one and only punishes a person who is paying for the chance to be educated and the extra curricular activities that go with it.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Well - I think the fact that you have private schools who are not bound by geography and public schools who are bound by geography competing against one another you need the rule to make things fair.

Unless the private schools - including Trinity and BG - were to split with other private schools to have their own division I'm not sure how you'd make things fair without some sort of rule.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm

I have 2 hunches on this situation:

1) I have a hunch this is a vindictive personal thing going on between North and BG. Once again a kid/youth/teenager takes a fall from adults not acting like mature adults.

2) I have a hunch it will be very interesting to be in attendance at the Feb. 17th BG at North girl's varsity game. You might want to check the score on that game. It has the potential to be an interesting result.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty Size of School

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I have always been under the impression that BG and Trinity who are both smaller schools than many of the d1 schools in their division were forced to play up because of open enrollment and no geographical borders.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Now with the petitioning for changes in divisions that isn't so effective any more.

PLUS that ALWAYS was in conjunction with this rule - which MANY have found ways to get around.

BTW I'm not saying this rule IS the best thing to do - but I do think the fairness to all schools needs to be considered. I respect them for trying to do that and would not be so easy to write off the rule as not having any merit or at least intent of merit.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty What Ifs?

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 pm

How about we do a what if? What if this family had planned to send this girl to school at BG all along, she had been promised for years and the year before her freshmen year her parents fell on hard times and could not afford to. Year two comes around dad is doing better money is better.. she wants to do wht she has always planned... and cannot because another adult has a say in where she pays to go to school. I just do not get this at all.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:39 pm

clippafan23 wrote:I have always been under the impression that BG and Trinity who are both smaller schools than many of the d1 schools in their division were forced to play up because of open enrollment and no geographical borders.

I don't think that is the case. If it were, the same would apply to St. Thomas, who I believe only petitions up in ice hockey.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Then that would have been presented at the appeal review board.

I don't know what was presented, but something was to have been presented and without viewing the evidence myself - I'm not going to assume that either side was right over the other. My mother taught me a long time ago about assuming.

I guess the other interesting thing to me - is that - according to the Notebook the girl is disappointed but respects the rules and review decision.

Sounds like her family has chosen to respect the process and move along - so I applaud them for exercising the avenues open to them and support their decision to respect a ruling that was made.

The merits of the rule can and will clearly be debated by people, but I respect parents who fight for their kids appropriately and then respect the consequences that come with being parts of organizations where rules and regulations are made for the greater group and not individuals. That's hard to do but I bet they are going to have one heck of a great woman in that girl.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision - Page 2 Empty By interesting result, do you mean????????

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 pm

That TOJO will give the green light to Coach Hazelton to score as many points as possible while holding Coach Oliver's team to as few points as possible for the entire athletic contest.

In other words, run it up baby.

Know what blows. I was looking forward to going to the boys game, now I gotta go see Mehgan Green hang 50 on North.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Tulliver, I"m not sure I follow you. You are citing the NHIAA wording that if a player transfers to another high school, they should be forced to sit out a year of athletics. And you're saying "the rule is the rule". But does this rule many any sense whatsoever? We're talking about high school kids here, not college scholarship athletes who are "redshirted" and forced to sit out a year. Think about it, most high school athletes only have a chance of playing at the varsity level their junior and senior years. If you declare a kid ineligible to play one year, just because they decided to transfer to another school, you are severely limiting their opportunity to play sports at all. Why not just let the high school kids play whenever they want, transfer or not? They could be doing alot worse things with their time than participating in sports.

And if "the rule is the rule", how do you explain the 99% of the other athletes who transferred schools and played right away? Other than this Paige Parkinson case, can we think of one other athlete who has been banned from playing a whole year, because of a transfer? I can't.

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes, I know of some kids who sat out - some who ended up actually ending careers early as a matter of fact.
I'm not outing anyone because I feel very strongly about individual privacy.

If the rule isn't valid, then schools need to do something about it.

But what do we teach kids by just breaking them?

That's my point.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 pm

I think the reason that most transfers are given the opportunity to play at their new school, is that the Man or Woman that is the Principal of the "sending" school, who is sitting at his/her desk looking at the transfer waiver form, are thinking to themselves "this is just a high school kid, why in the world would I prevent this kid from playing a sport just because they decided to leave my school and go to another?" Apparently someone in Nashua had a different thought process.

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:07 pm

"Apparently someone in Nashua had a different thought process."
NHhoops

So true and so shameful.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Not providing a transfer has happened before from BG to Alvirne (in football 3-4 years ago). So it does happen - it's gamesmanship between AD/coach...

Something interesting perhaps - the head of the NHIAA (Corbin) used to be the Principal at North.

It does stink for the player, but it's only 1 year - Sophomore year at that. Sounds like the family is OK with moving on.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 pm

You're right about Corbin, but (I believe) there is a panel that deals with the appeals/reviews so it is not a unilateral decision.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 pm

"Not providing a transfer has happened before from BG to Alvirne (in football 3-4 years ago). So it does happen - it's gamesmanship between AD/coach..."
JAF

Gamesmanship?

I would call it using politics through sports as a way of undeservingly depriving a teenager of one of the truly great experiences of their life.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Stop acting like BG does not recruit and stop acting like Hazzelton does not recruit, I know for fact that he does, and I know for fact that BG does recruit in other sports as well. As a teach in the Nashua middle schools I have had a parents approach me to what they think of their kids going to the school and that they were approached by a coach. I usually tel them it is a great school with great coaches and if fits their budget and want they what to do go for it. But they do recruit and everyone that says they dont as their head in the sand.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm

They are wrong not to let her play because it is just HS school basketball and we want want is best for every kid and Paige going to BG does not hurt anyone.

Last edited by The Assistant on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed names)

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm

JAF, I'm not sure I buy the "it's only one year, no big deal" line. Parkinson would have been a significant contributor to the BG team this year, a starter as a Sophomore. So I'm sure it's killing her to be sitting on the sidelines, and she's not looking at it from the perspective "it's only one year". I know you had sons who played high school ball - would you have felt the same way if one of your boys were forced by some high school administrator to sit out an entire year?

Also, don't assume for a second that the family has given up and are ready to move on. This is just the first stage of this incident, and expect to see a lot more information come out about what really went down behind the scenes!

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next