New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

+10
E.I.R.
bumper
dadncoach
SeacoastDad
clippafan23
JAF
Tulliver
GNG
Hoopfan4
NHhoops
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 pm

There is an interesting article on NHNotebook.com about the NHIAA decision to deny Paige Parkinson eligibility to play for the BG girl's basketball team. The article even illicited a response from old friend Mike Mitchell in Alabama! Paige Parkinson is a sophomore at BG who transferred from Nashua North this year. Apparently, the AD of Nashua Schools, with encouragement from the Nashua North girl's basketball coach, refused to sign Parkinson's transfer affadavit at BG, denying her the opportunity to play both volleyball in the Fall and now basketball. Presumably, Nashua North was able to convince the NHIAA that Parkinson transferred to BG for STRICTLY athletic reasons, and athletic reasons alone, because that is the only possible way that a transfer affadvit can be denied by the "sending" institution. I know for a fact that BG, led by the Principal, Linda Brodeur, fought this decision hard, attending several meetings with the NHIAA, but obviously were not successfull in overturning the decision.

I have several questions relating to this matter. The first is, why would Nashua North and the NHIAA fight so hard to deny a student-athlete the opportunity to fulfill themselves by participating in athletics at their chosen institution? Parkinson is no superstar, just a normal high school girl who loves the sports of volleyball and basketball. She is a very good student, and entered BG through all the correct channels. Participating in high school sports provides memories that last a lifetime (not to mention in Parkinson's case a potential vehicle for acceptance into certain colleges, because she does have that type of talent), and it astounds me that a bunch of adults sitting on a committee can use a "loophole" in an affadavit document to deprive a young lady of her dreams. Yes, I am sure athletics was a partial factor in the family's decision to transfer from North to BG (it is for any student-athlete who decides to transfer from one school to another, let's be realistic). But who is to say the Parkinsons didn't value the academic program at BG, the smaller classes sizes (vs. North), the college placement track record of BG, the more disciplined, structured school environment? I'm sure there were a number of reasons why they decided to have their daughter transfer.

My second question is that of precedent. Think of all the transfers that have taken place in the state over the last several years. Madol from Trinity to Memorial. Green from Bedford to BG. Majong from Central to Trinity. Descoteaux from Trinity to West. Floras from Kimball Union to Merrimack. Alex Hall (girl's hoop) from Trinity to Pembroke. The list goes on and on. Do you believe for a second that "athletics" weren't a major determinant in these transfer decisions? All these students needed transfer affadavits signed by the AD's of their old schools. Why didn't any of those affadavits get denied, and why didn't the NHIAA rule any of these students ineligible? What is so "unique" about the Paige Parkinson situation at BG that the NHIAA (and Nashua North) felt compelled to ban her from not one sport, but two sports, in her sophomore year at BG? Is there something going on, politically, between the Nashua Public School administration and Bishop Guertin? I wonder if the Nashua "educators" involved in the decision get satisfaction when they play against BG, and they see Paige Parkinson sitting there on the bench in her street clothes. What is really being accomplished here?

I know we will never get an answer from the NHIAA on this, but I'm curious what other forum-ites think about the "fairness" of this decision.

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Re: NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

Post  Hoopfan4 Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm

From what I read here and on NH Notebook, this doesn't seem right at all. It looks like she transferred into BG over the summer; if it happened while the school year was in session, I could see room for this decision, but certainly not in this case. If she and her family feel its better for her to go to BG and they have followed all of the proper channels to get her there, why anybody would want to block her from partcipating in athletics is beyond me, especially in light of all of the other transfers noted in the above post. This one seems as vanilla as it gets. The NHIAA has a very strange way of priortizing things...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Welcome nhhoops

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Just to let you know I reside in Merrimack and my son graduated from BG.

GNG stands for green and gold so I tend to tilt towards BG on most decisions.

I can't believe Fitz or King haven't picked up on this story yet. Oh wait, they probably don't even know about this. Sounds bogus to me.

The North girls hoop coach and Nashua AD are now on my list. People on my list tend to not like it. affraid affraid

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Re: NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:25 pm

It seems like the NHIAA is becoming more and more like the NCAA.

Different rules for different programs.

I usually don't go around advocating lawsuits, but I think this young lady's parents should consider a lawsuit against North for not granting a waiver. The backlash against North's girls hoop coach and the athletic director would be something.

Let the girl play for Pete's sake.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Question -

Does she or has she played for Hazelton through AAU?

If so, they are probably arguing she followed the coach.

(Don't flame me, throw things or sign me up for Fruit of the Month Clubs - I'm just posing it as their reasoning)

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:59 pm

I don't know that answer.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Google is really a wonderful tool sometimes...

http://www.nhnotebook.com/2011/05/nh-girls-basketball-aau-state.html

and

http://www.nhnotebook.com/2011/08/whos-going-where.html

Looks like she played for the Shooting Stars.... The head coach listed is from Goffstown...

Last edited by JAF on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added second link...)

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Honestly do not care!

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Honestly do not care who she played for over the Summer,Spring or Fall. This is a simple matter of the Nashua AD saying if I cannot get her to play for me you will not either. She made the choice over the summer,she has been enrolled at BG since day one of the school year and she is paying tuition to have all the benefits of the BG education, and wether we want to admit it or not sports is part of the educational process. If it is not I want my tax dollars lowered and have the Portsmouth Gym removed. This is just ludicrous in many ways. She is not playing in one school zone while living in another. She is attending private school and paying for the education. This is not a even the business of the NHIAA. This group is by far and away the most incompetent organization I have run into in many many years or high school sports.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Competely agree! This story gets more and more fishy as more information gets posted. If it turns out that political favors or back room dealings had anything to do with this (why would anybody think that?!) then some major housecleaning is needed at both Nashua North and NHIAA. This girl has already lost one full season (volleyball) and coming up on half of another. Unbelievable that "adults" would get in the way of a student-athlete's ability to participate out of what appears to be pure spite...if I were this girls parents, I would not drop this one until every last bit of the truth came out regarding what made this so different from all of the other transfers the NHIAA has let go through...just unbelievable...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty To me the NHIAA

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 pm

To me the NHIAA should not be involved in this unless it is a border dispute or a residency situation. The student is in her area,she is paying tuition and she did this before the school year began. As much as we want to believe that kids are just going to school for education they do make choices based on sports and why shouldn't they? With the cost of an college education being what it is if there is even a slight chance that the move to BG helps her in that area she has every right to make that move. Again BG has no designated area,it is a private school,she is paying tuition. The only way the NHIAA will correct this is if the Nashua AD is put under so much scrutiny that he makes the call and offers to sign the waiver. The waiver that should not even be in use in this situation.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Not to hijack but Clippafan what did you think of the Portsmouth game last night?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Did not make it

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Did not make it, Rec team practice was at 6 and dinner was my second priority. Sorry I missed it looks like it was a great game.

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Not currently offering an opinion, but in case you are interested and haven't read it, here is a link to the NHIAA web site and Article II of the By Laws which addresses eligibility:

http://nhiaa.org/PDFs/2708/4ByLawArticleIIEligibility.pdf

Section 4 is the Transfer Rule, which starts at the bottom of the second page.

Here are some excerpts:

[BEGINNING OF EXCERPTS]

C. A student who transfers enrollment without a corresponding move into a new school district by his/her parents or guardians shall be required to be in attendance in the new school for one (1) year from the date of enrollment in order to establish athletic eligibility. This includes those students who transfer from a non-member school (i.e. prep school, etc.) back to the local school and those students who change schools as a result of change in guardianship (i.e. move to live with different parent/guardian without parent/guardian changing residence).
…..
These requirements may be waived, if all the following conditions are met:
1. The student has not transferred for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics and there has been no recruiting of the student for athletic purposes.
2. The Transfer Rule Affidavit is completed and submitted to the NHIAA and approved in writing by the Executive Director.
3. All other eligibility requirements are met.
…..
DEFINITION OF TRANSFER FOR PRIMARILY ATHLETIC PURPOSES:
A transfer for primarily athletic reasons includes, but is not limited to:
1. A transfer to obtain the athletic advantage of a superior, or inferior, athletic team, a superior athletic facility, or a superior coach or coaching staff;
2. A transfer to obtain relief from a conflict with the philosophy or action of an administrator, teacher, or coach, relative to athletics;
3. A transfer seeking a team consistent with the student's athletic abilities;
4. A transfer to obtain a means to nullify action by the previous school.
Rationale for the Transfer Rule: A transfer/residency requirement: assists in the prevention of students switching schools in conjunction with the change of athletic season for athletic purposes; impairs recruitment and reduces the opportunity for undue influence to be exerted by persons seeking to benefit from a student-athlete’s prowess.
A transfer/residency requirement: promotes stability and harmony among member schools by maintaining the amateur standing of high school athletics; by not letting individuals other than enrolled students participate and by upholding the principle that a student should attend the high school in the district where the student’s parent(s) guardian(s) reside.
Sect. 19: Deviations from Eligibility Rules
Deviations from the NHIAA Eligibility Rules may be granted after consideration of the following criteria:
A. The merits of the individual case.
B. Whether or not the granting of the deviation from the rule would be inconsistent with the purpose of the rule.
C. Whether or not the individual concerned caused or contributed to cause the existence of the factors, which result in ineligibility.
D. Hardship Eligibility – [SeacoastDad note: too long to paste here. Does not apply in the current discussion]

The request for an eligibility deviation must be given in writing to the Executive Director of the NHIAA by the school principal only. The aforementioned criterion needs to be addressed in detail. The information submitted may be considered confidential at the request of the principal if involving sensitive information or personal information. Although every attempt will be made to offer a timely written response, the Executive Director will have 14 days to rule a decision. Following the decision of the Executive Director the school principal may appeal said decision per the due process procedures found in By-Law Article V, Sect. 1:B.

[END OF EXCERPTS]

Note that it the school principal that submits the eligibility paperwork to the NHIAA, not the AD, although the AD would in all likelihood be involved.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Paige

Post  dadncoach Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Newbie here.

Regarding AAU, Paige played for Shooting Stars this past year. Her team played this past Fall and will likely play in the Spring under the Rivals, run by Hazelton and his wife. Scott is a great coach, and is also a GREAT RECRUITER. That said, the NHIAA has no stake in this game, in my opinion. Sounds completely like axe to grind by Ricky Oliver, Nashua Coach (and also an AAU Coach) and the school district.

dadncoach
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Who is North's girls hoop coach?

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Any info?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I will just start by saying I am not an NHIAA fan at all. With that, my guess ( backed by some inside info) is that the NHIAA is denying the eligibiliy becasue they have evidence of the big "R". That is correct. Another accusation with recruiting and BG. I also believe in the first line of the transfer rule mentions recruiting. This could be as little as the coach saying " hey come play here".

When are they going to go after the Manchester schools for all of the inner City recruiting? I am sure you have not heard all of the info concerning the Alosa's either.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't know specifics of this situation and am not going to take a position....

I will say that not all the transfers that have occurred in the past few years have been as seamless as many might think. Just because it hasn't been reported doesn't mean they were Kumbaya moments.

Some - I know of - I think the kid(s) should have been allowed.
Some - I think the kid(s) was/were recruited.

I'm not going to slam schools for protecting their programs.
I'm not going to slam kids/parents for wanting their personal best.

And frankly, that is where the NHIAA should come in - to fairly and consistently mediate situations for the most fair resolution.

Personally, I think they need to decide on a system and sac up and stand by it.

Also, Athletic Directors and Principals each sign off on the forms - I know that firsthand.
However, it is a gray area if "both" signatures technically need to be on the form. Some would argue it's a gray loophole the size of Alabama, but I don't have enough personal knowledge to term it that. I do know people I respect believe that to be the case.

Regardless of how this ends up - I was impressed with Hazelton's response about the situation.

BTW I know some great people who work at BG and some great people who work at North.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 pm

How does the telegraph not run with this story? Oh yeah I forgot it's the Telegraph Sleep Sleep Sleep

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Nhiaa is not a fan of free press

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

I posted a rather satirical comment on the Notebook about this but my opinion is that if BG is so notoriously good at recruiting wouldn't they have a way to bypass this? (I'm not much of a believer in the notion that they recruit heavily)
That being said the NHIAA disgusts me here. Let the girl play. From what I read on the Notebook, she may not be able to play next year as well? How is that right? I agree with Tulliver though, I was impressed by both her and Coach Hazelton's response to the situation. I'm glad for her sake that she's chasing this down through all the right avenues, although if this keeps up she could very well have a case on her hands as GNG suggests.
I pose a question to everyone on the Forum...Does this girl's waiver get denied if BG wasn't having such a strong year in girl's hoops?

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:35 pm

There is no accusation from the NHIAA, or Nashua North, that Parkinson was "recruited" by Hazelton. That is not the issue here. They refused to grant the waiver because they felt they had sufficient evidence that Parkinson transferred PRIMARILY for athletic reasons, and for some reason they decided to pursue this particular case and deny this girl the opportunity to participate in sports at BG. What a shameful decision for a bunch of adults to make, many of whom probably never excelled in athletics themselves, or know what it is like to be part of a high school team experience. As far as those who are going to jump on the "BG always recruits" bandwagon, I know for a fact that Parkinson was contemplating transferring to BG all the way back last winter, when Hazelton wasn't even part of the BG girls basketball picture. Hazelton didn't even know who Parkinson was when he took the BG job. By the way, Parkinson scored 18 against BG last year as a Freshman at North. I wonder if that's why Ricky Oliver tried so hard to keep her from playing at BG. He didn't want her to turn around and score 18 against his team this year!

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:39 pm

That sheds a little light on this issue. I was struggling to understand why she had been denied all along. Where is there grounds to even do this? BG is a private institution how does Nashua North have any say in which sport a BG student (who's parents are paying for her to go there) plays?

What right does the NHIAA have to move in and make a call here? Its all very odd to me. Doesn't add up. I feel like we're missing a piece to this story that may never come out.

BG certainly is the center stage for controversy in New Hampshire in the last 12 months eh?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Assistant, I think the NHIAA "transfer affadavit" form applies to schools like BG and Trinity as well. So, the Principal (or AD, not sure) of the "sending" school has to sign a release form allowing the student to participate in athletics at their new school, even if it is a private school. So in essence this is really an issue between the Nashua Public Schools and Bishop Guertin. I'm sure the NHIAA is only involved because the Parkinsons and BG appealed it and requested a hearing.

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA, Nashua North, and the Paige Parkinson decision Empty Live Free Or Die?

Post  clippafan23 Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I guess Live Free or Die starts at 18...

clippafan23
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Taking out the fact that I feel bad for the kid... I gotta say -

it's happening because it's the rule
C. A student who transfers enrollment without a corresponding move into a new school district by his/her parents or guardians shall be required to be in attendance in the new school for one (1) year from the date of enrollment in order to establish athletic eligibility. This includes those students who transfer from a non-member school (i.e. prep school, etc.) back to the local school and those students who change schools as a result of change in guardianship (i.e. move to live with different parent/guardian without parent/guardian changing residence).

Like it or not - it is the rule and in a way - it's a better life lesson if rules are enforced fairly and consistently.

I am in no way arguing that the NHIAA does that, however, but let me say -

A lot of people speed.

I sometimes speed.

If I get a ticket - I'm not getting anywhere with the judge by saying I should be cleared because other people speed and weren't caught.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next