@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Floras back in town

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Floras back in town

Post  JAF on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:01 pm

bb603: if you mean the bg player from bedford with a brother on the team and is a qb... perhaps they thought he just wouldn't be ready. redshirt years are standard operating procedure for D1 schools... I really don't know, but I do know sending or requesting a player do a PG year helps out the recruiting process. Perhaps done more in the SEC too!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

People are upset...

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:40 pm

First off my apologies to you Jeremy, personally I am sorry. I thought you might have gotten the rhetorical question I asked, about why you covered it or the forum. It must not have been that obvious. Jeremy it is also disappointing to see you using, "sources close to the family", as your source. This is half the problem with sports media today, you all hide your sources, leaving the reader wondering if there is a source or not. To be honest, I often wonder if you writers make up your sources.
Jeremy I also feel for you about the student who moved from another town or state and took over your starting job. It is not the same thing. If that student had been a teammate of yours, left your school, then went back, I would take the analogy, so your analogy, though good is not really comparable.
I am really shocked that as many of you gave me the lecture of the LIFE ISN'T FAIR speech for the 12th or 13th man position. In my opinion all of you who have this idea and would give this speech in this situation are wrong. All of you clearly support sports over academics.

Laslty, someone asked me about a 5th year student going for Post Grad. The problem I have with it is simple, they have already graduated HS, they are going to Prep school on a scholarship, to repeat something that they already have. We already paid for this child to graduate and he did, do we really need to keep putting him through school? Not all STUDENTS in the world get to go to Post Grad, on a scholarship. See the 4.0 student is not going to Prep school, when they are allowed, I will support it. I know they are allowed, but when they can get a scholarship, I will support it. Just because you play sports doesn't mean that you should be treated any different than any other student. These schools are for athletics when it comes to Post Grad, once again these students already have a HS diploma.

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Derogatory comments towards a player)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Thank you GNG...

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm

GNG we really disagree a lot. But I think in this situation we may actually have differences,but we are on the same page. I completely agree that education should be number one in this entire situation. I keep hearing people say that he can make up these classes. I agree, when he does, he can play basketball. Catching up on classes isn't going to take two or three weeks. This is going to take at least a year, and probably includes summer school.
One last thing, I do respect all of your opinions in this matter. But GNG you brought it up and I will re-iterate it. Jeremy is trying to tell us what is personal and what is not. I would think being "homesick" is a personal problem and should not be published all over the web. I also feel being 'secluded" is also personal, not really anyone's business. Jeremy as a professional writer, I am very surprised that you are telling us what is what. You wrote initial story and to be honest it lacked any kind of substance.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

oh no one more thing...

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:24 pm

If I am reading the dates of the schedules for both Kimball U and Merrimack, can a student be a student at two schools at the same time? You guys aren't telling me that he was attending Merrimack and taking finals at Kimball U? Anyone see any problems with this situation? It is not the norm, that is for sure. How can a student be at both places at the same time? Obviously, if he is taking finals at one school, he is not going to class at a another school.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Boxout, I don't believe anyone said on the Forum that Floras was attending KUA and Merry High at the same time. When people, like GNG, was posting Floras was back in town I believe he meant he was back in town of Merrimack, but not attending Merry High. It makes sense what Tully said with him finishing up his tests for the first trimester at KUA.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Even if he transferred back before the tests - they wouldn't count against him ... he'd have averages for all coursework done up until that point and they'd be averaged by merrimack according to their policies.

Yes, T&F I think that's what we guys meant about the Merri town to KUA school back to Merri town and transfer into Merri school

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 pm

One thing is for sure, there used to be a time when people had to live with the consequences for the choices they made. Nowadays, with this generation and this sport in particular, you see kids moving around more and more frequently because they think things are better somewhere else, they don't want to be challenged or find themselves in a situation against better competition and learn that maybe they aren't quite as good as they think they are. It's a shame, really, because I don't think bending rules, or catering to "elite" athletes sets them up for long term success in the game of LIFE. Sometimes the absolute best wake up call is having to suffer the consequences for a bad decision - taking responsibility for one's own actions - what a concept. If there is no clear cut way for his ACADEMIC eligibility to be determined, I sure hope the right decision is made and he sits. Could be the best LIFE lesson he ever receives and come at a time when it could really make a difference.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Prep for a 5th year of HS plus redshirt

Post  bb603 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 pm

JAF, The point I'm trying to bring up is the decision for a college ready student to delay and/or extend college primarily to play sports in college.

I do not personally know the player I used as an example, but I'm willing to bet he was academically ready to start college right out of high school. He is now in his 3rd year out of HS, but has 3 years of sports eligibilty left. I have nothing against him, he is just a convenient example.

I bet Floras would have had no problem graduating from Merrimack in 4 years. We don't know if he went to KUA as a Junior or if he reclassified in order to get another year before college.

Maybe the rule on college sports eligibilty should be changed? Kids whose familys can't afford prep school (even many of those who go pay a good portion out of pocket) should get extended eligibilty in college too.

I'm also curious as to how much a year of prep school improves the college a player goes to. I would love to see some examples of before prep and after prep options for specific students.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

floras back in town

Post  Twinemusic on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm

one must question the thought process of the entire Floras family !!! Basketball over education whether at merry or kua is not the example to be setting or allowing. Clearly Basketball related and clearly not happy with Basketball situation over at KUA as it pertained to DimitrI. Should not play for above reasons alone, bad. I hope he does play things tend to iron themselves out over at the merry -go - round anyway as this im sure will be as well. but if anybody tries to even suggest that this is good for even the kid or that an education at the merry - go - round even touches the quality of education coming out of KUA. ITS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT. Homesick? Really !! ... absurd definetely !!!!! obviously Dimitri wears the boots in the Floras household. My kid would get a royal kick in the fanny. KUA WAS FREE !!!! Basketball related !!! What ever happened to education ??? UNH, Please.. then what Dominoes Pizza........LET HIM PLAY !!! HE GETS MY VOTE !!!!! Let's see if he can even stay on the court for a full season at the prestigious Merry - go - round !!!! at the count of three....everyone take the rose colored glasses off and look in the mirror.

Twinemusic
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Boxout

Post  basketballtime on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 am

How do you know this kid has never heard that speech? ,(( I bet the STAR player returning to Merrimack has never heard that speech. It may be time.)) Did you know about his issues last year? And the price he paid for it? Did you see him sit the bench during aau tournaments this summer after being screamed at or not starting at all? Do you know his parents and how they handle him? Do you know if he was going to sit the bench this year at Kimble academy because there were older and better kids in his position that would get the not first? How much do you know about this kid boxout? I guess if you don't know those things you really can't bet he's never heard that speech. So there are plenty of kids that don't ever get to play for many reasons and just because Floras is going in a different direction again you can't jump all over him for that he's trying to do what's best for him so sorry that's life. And when it comes to a 4,0 doing a fifth year isn't it pretty clear they don't need one? Most of these kids that do need it are ones who struggle with school and would like to continue on with it and raise their GPA or SAT scores and the only path for them is sports. So like i said if you feel they shouldn't go on well that's where you lost me? confused

Last edited by basketballtime on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

the never ending excuses....

Post  boxout on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 am

basketballtime...I don't really even know how to start with you, I think you need to read all threads related to this topic. You keep singling me out, like I am the only one who feels this way. I am going to try to break this down for you as simply as I can.
First off, I did not know of any of his problems from last year. Nor do I really care. It is none of my business. The subject was brought up and I expressed my opinion.

I am not sure that you really understand Prep school. I agree with you that the 4.0 student doesn't need it, but does the 3.5 non-athlete need it? Does the 3.0 student non-athlete need it? Does the 2.5 need it? Or 2.0 of course non-athletes. Why should some kid get a 5th year of school because he can play a sport? There are plenty of kids who struggle in schools and graduate with a 2.0 and never get a sniff of Prep school. Why? because they can't get a scholarship, a scholarship that an athlete can get. Also,why because they can't afford it. You also need to understand that I don't really have a problem with these schools, I have a problem with the PG year, these people have already graduated from HS they are repeating things and learning the same things. What I am starting to think from the opinion you are expressing and I am understanding from you is that these student-athletes should not of graduated HS. If that is the case, we have a bigger problems than I can even imagine.

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Again, speculating about a player, one you admit you know nothing about)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 am

boxout, I have no idea who you are. I have no problem with you having a difference in opinion to mine, but if you are going to come on here and call me out like that for everyone to see at least be man enough to sign your real name. I know GNG personally and I know Tuesday and Friday personally. I consider them both friends so even though their opinions may differ from mine I know they still respect me. However I don't know you personally, so you're out of line to call me out like that and criticize me. You say I hid behind an anonymous source? Well guess what, you're hiding behind an anonymous username on this forum! Anyone can call themselves "boxout" and go around bashing whoever they want and there would be no consequence because no one knows who you really are. Whereas with me, no matter what I say, whether it's on here, on my site, on NERR, WGAM, WTSN, on Tarrier and Thaler's radio show or whatever other media outlet I've appeared on I sign my name to it, my name is said on the air, etc. I don't hide behind anything, thank you very much. Ideally, yes I would prefer to not have anonymous sources in my articles. But in this situation, it was big news so I wanted to report it, and a source that is VERY close to his family gave me confirmation on his transfer and told me the reason for it. They also asked me that I leave their name out of the story, so I respected their wishes.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:50 am

Jeremy and Boxout:

Enough with flinging verbal salvos at each other. Time to get back to the issue at hand. If the verbal salvos continue at each other I will have no choice but to edit both of you.

I respect both of you and your opinions, but when you start going at each other it doesn't send a good message to high school athletes who are reading the Forum. It has a tendency to send you both down a gutter instead of taking a high road.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:59 am

Tuesday and Friday: I tried to send my my last message to boxout in a private message rather than a post in this thread. But for some reason I got a message saying "Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages." So I had no choice but to post it in here.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:08 am

Point taken Jeremy.

We will have some civil decorum take place from now on in this thread.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 am

I think we all need to have the basketball season start. Here's some nice games to look forward to in the early part of the season:

Friday Dec. 9th Girls Game Memorial at Trinity 7:00 pm Girls Game Winny at Central 7:00 pm

Friday Dec. 16th Boys Game BG at Central 7:00 pm Girls Game Central at BG 7:00 pm Boys Game Trinity at Dover 7:00 pm

Tuesday Dec. 20th Girls Game BG at Londonderry 7:00 pm

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:58 am

Merry-go- round. Twinemusic I believe that one is gonna stick like glue. Very clever.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:18 am

Jeremy - I PM'd The Assistant to let him know you received an error message when trying to PM Boxout. Hopefully that can get resolved.

Boxout - I think you make some interesting points about Prep and would urge you to consider starting a new thread about the concept of doing a 5th year. In the future, it might be better to address concerns with Jeremy's blog over there than here. I've emailed him a few times over there and we have been able to express our viewpoints quite cordially.

Basketballtime - would you do me a favor? Would you re-read your last post and consider if there is anything there that doesn't belong?

Many colleges and universities now employ people in their admission office to check out some applicants through social media. This is becoming more and more common. They even scout facebook AFTER school starts to see, if students are overwhelmed and might benefit from support services!

I would never want speculative posts to become and issue for a student athlete attempting to enter a school.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Boxout???

Post  basketballtime on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:39 am

Boxout it just seems like you have the biggest beef with this situation for some reason? So if it seems like I'm singling you out I'm not it's just what I've been taking in from your posts. But I'll try and break it down as simply as i can for you. Number one all i said is did you know about his troubles last year? So when you come out and say he had so many issues and problems and then you say nor do i care. From your own comments it sures seem like you do. I would imaging boxout you probably made a few while in school also right? That doesn't mean he nor you should be removed from the school system does it boxout? So no i don't see a pattern here? Maybe he was home sick and at age16 i would imagine that happens all the time.Maybe it's easier academically in Merrimack? Maybe it's easier for him to be on the floor in Merrimack? My point boxout is if he feels like he's not going to do well at Kimble and feels comfortable at Merrimack why then should he stay at Kimble and most likely fail? I don't get where your coming from at all? I believe with any kid you try and put them in the best possible place they can succeed in right? Now when it comes to playing time you obviously haven't a clue about Prep school basketball but again i will break it down for you as simply as i can. Players come and go all throughout the year in prep school and yes its very hard to know if you are better than some of the kids that are there most of them are from another neck of the woods. And the only way to find out is go out on the floor and see. And no it doesn't matter if they are older or not because again if you knew anything about prep school there are tons of younger kids that play ahead of older kids because they are just flat out better so there goes that theory. So when you said i was insinuating he left because of basketball you were wrong again, what i was saying is there may have been many different reason why he left. And another thing i don't understand from you is for some reason you seem to have a problem with a kid using basketball as a tool for furthering their education? You do understand a lot of these kids have to do that because they have academic struggles and have not obtained a high enough GPA or SAT scores to get into Division one or two even though they made it through high school. so that's where a PG can help them achieve that goal. You can't possibly have such a problem with that can you? And if you really thing they're saying i only go to school because of basketball which is what you seem to be insinuating i have to laugh. They all know they have to better their grades to move on. Now getting back to the fifth year issue of yours. Because there happens to be this avenue for athletes to better their academic future, you seem to be all bent out of shape because the non athletes don't have one? And your pointless rambling about a kid who has a 2.0 and doesn't get to go to prep school is so phony! How about all the great athletes that drop out of school because they too can't achieve high enough grades do they get to go to prep school or are they not in the same boat at the non athlete 2.0? It all balances out in the long rung. Get real boxout you tear up Crying or Very sad about him going back in fourth even though it's most likely the best thing for him to do.And then you tear up Crying or Very sad how it's not fair to be able to have PG year. And you tear up Crying or Very sad about the littlest things like poor little johnny won't get to play this year because someone better will be taking his spot. Let me guess your the type who thinks everyone should get a trophy and nobody loses right boxout?Look boxout Its called reality and it's also called life you might want to try and get used to it it's not going away anytime soon.

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:51 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Derogatory comment deleted. Please refrain from further comments like this.)

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:49 am

ENOUGH with the namecalling on other posters - or I will lock the thread.

Agree - disagree whatever - but be respectful.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Some great posts

Post  boxout on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am

Twinemusic excellent post, I also enjoyed Hoopfan4. BB603 another good post, and a subject that many media outlets ignore. It boggles my mind that a student can graduate HS, where they get a HS diploma, then go to PG school and repeating HS, then Red Shirting as a Fr. in college. Some kids actually graduate HS at 19, can you imagine that a player can be 21 before he even puts a basketball uniform at college. Folks please don't bring up the 25 year old student who went on a religious mission, it is not the same. So leave BYU out of it, or even our prestigious military institutes, that obviously have other things to worry about in this WORLD than sport. I am hardly the type who advocates winning for all, and if you have read my posts in the past, you would know that. The hidden agenda maybe that you went to a prep school. My point is and will always be that 75% of kids who graduate HS are not ready for college. So why can't the 3.0 GPA student get a scholarship for PG? They certainly have shown the ability to learn, and may just need another year to really succeed. I don't know any college student who wouldn't take a year of PG if they know there grades in college would be higher. Let's say a 2.5 student can become a 3.5 student in college. Of course they would have to pay for this luxury.

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Speculation about a player)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 pm

I will re-post what I said last night to Boxout and Jeremy. This is now directed at Boxout and Basketballtime:

Enough with flinging verbal salvos at each other. Time to get back to the issue at hand. If the verbal salvos continue at each other I will have no choice but to edit both of you.

I respect both of you and your opinions, but when you start going at each other it doesn't send a good message to high school athletes who are reading the Forum. It has a tendency to send you both down a gutter instead of taking a high road.

This thread is dangerously close to being locked down. It is now up to the aforementioned parties to show some maturity or else...

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 pm

C'mon T&F - this is better than the NBA sunny

I find it interesting that this one issue really got people motivated to post and get their basketball fingers ready for the season. Regardless of individual or program, I think it really boils down to for many is whether or not it's right/good to head off to a prep school and those schools role in college athletics. It's been a hockey phenomena for years locally and now it's becoming more and more of a basketball issue. Not really a football thing around here, but in "football country" it is and I bet for many of them it's a year to get their grades up to be eligible. So to say a program at a prep school is more academically challenging that one at a high school may not be right either. Those schools have catered to athletes for years. If like colleges a good athletics team brings in donations from (now) wealthy alumni, then it's behooves them to make sure the athletes stay eligible - right or wrong in the rest of our eyes or for what we consider is best for the athlete. If an athlete didn't do well at one of those schools, then colleges wouldn't suggest to go there - think about it - it's a big business.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Sometimes, I get the feeling it's a business for prep schools just like AAU programs.

Promises Promises Promises...... Some made and some broken.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Quick graduate already.

Post  basketballtime on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:49 pm

It seems that someone thinks you need to graduate high school and college before you turn 21 with degree in hand? However most of us know the reality and that most kids change their mind about a hundred times over and change schools and majors and so on.I mean really look at the percentage of kids that graduate college and are still living at home. Most people out there also know there are a ton of kids that PG or red shirt or both and it's been going on for a long time and won't change because a handful of people don't know about it or like it. In fact i would be willing to go way out on a ledge on this one and bet that all the schools and coaches know what's better for the student than a handful of people out there that have an issue with it. Now when it comes to leaving Merrimack i would guess he saw other top players going that route and decided to give it a try. Is that such a bad thing to try something else that might give you a better experience? It did not work for him for whatever reason however there are kids out there that it seems to be fine for. Either way its up to each individual to try and do whats best for them isn't it? Now if anyone really thinks they know all the players coming into a new school and situation and how they play even when they come from all over the country has to be a little delusional. Prep schools can be a revolving door of players moving from one school to the other never mind the amount of kids out there playing ball you have no idea how you will compete until you actually step on the floor with them ask anyone who goes to a prep school and they will tell you the same. Now when it comes to athletes thinking they can do anything they want last time i checked there are tons of non athletes that also go private schools for other reason but maybe your not aware of that simple fact. Kids change schools for academics, sports, bullying and so on. So again not sure where your coming from with that one? (( So why can't the 3.0 GPA student get a scholarship for PG? They certainly have shown the ability to learn)) So why can't a finger painter paint a Picasso why can't a mail man be a navy seal? Why can't you play in the NBA even when their not playing? Look like i said earlier there are paths out there for all kids and not everyone can take the same path. Don't you think all these PG kids would love to have a 4.0? again not a path they get to have so they do what they can. One last thing i don't think anyone would have problem with you starting a PG school for kids out there that don't play basketbal and need moneyl. In fact since you feel so strongly about this issue maybe you can tell us what you've personally done to help all these kids out there that didn't get a scholarship for Prep or college because their not athletes who can do anything they want. Have you donated money? or helped in any other way? Or is this all just hot air????? bounce

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum