New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NBA Lockout

+2
Tuesday and Friday
Hoopfan4
6 posters

Go down

NBA Lockout Empty NBA Lockout

Post  Hoopfan4 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm

In yet another example of professional sports ruining things for the fans, the NBA braintrust (I use that term loosely for both the owners and the players) seems pretty close to calling the season off. It's hard to believe the two sides can't reach an agreement - millionaires vs. billionaires - disgusting, especially considering this is all taking place when the economy continues to take its toll on the average worker just trying to make ends meet (not that anybody on either side gives a care about that). I hope the fans respond to this ridiculous situation in a way that both sides will understand - stay away from the games when they finally decide to get going and hit them in the wallets....yet another case of the fans being taken for granted...enough is enough...as a lifelong Celtics fan, I am very close to calling it quits myself...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

NBA Lockout Empty Re: NBA Lockout

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I've been disenchanted with the NBA for a few years. The 2008 Celtics' title kind of re-energized me, but really, I don't watch too much NBA until the playoffs. If they don't play this year it'll be no leather off my basketball. I'll just concentrate more on college and HS hoops which is more pure anyway.

The NBA could set themselves back a few years if the season is cancelled. The Celtics will be one of the biggest losers along with the Heat. The Celtics aren't getting any younger. The wounds from the playoffs are still festering for the Heat players.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NBA Lockout Empty enough

Post  8992 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 am

Who cares about the NBA, because we have the NFL, NHL, and collge hoops.

NESN was showing some of the old Celtics games, 80's, and that was a great time for the NBA. Probably the best time.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 am

The 1976 triple OT game against the Suns was on last night. I can still remember the gutteral scream of the announcer when Garfield Heard hit the buzzer beater at the end of the 2nd OT.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NBA Lockout Empty Greed......

Post  boxout Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 am

This is starting to get sick. I don't really back either side, but there is about 80% of NBA players that are completely overpaid. See Brian Scalabrine for example. Every team in the league has at least 3 players that are completely overpaid. I understand the take the money and run mentality. This league also needs to contract.
As far as what we have left, NCAA hoop, NFL, and NHL. The NHL is a lot like the NBA, the season stinks, and every team pretty much makes the playoffs. Only in hockey do you see 7 and 8 seeds winning it all.
I am starting to hate all professional sports. Let's not let the NFL skate either, they were locked out all summer.
You know what else bothers me other than the fans getting shafted? These business owners, like pizza parlors, that complain the strikes are killing their businesses. I also think, good. You are as guilty as these leagues. You charge $5.00 for a slice of pizza and $6.00 for a beer. You price gouge all the time and then complain when teams go on strike. Not to mention you decided to open a business that relies on games being played, not my problem.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 am

Unfortunately it's the people that work in those businesses or at the concessions that really get shafted. Imagine seeing beer being sold for $7-10 per cup, hot dogs for $5-8, etc. and probably not making much more than minimum wage. You have your tip jar out there and then some "business owner" says it doesn't look good for you to put a tip jar out...

I understand the get what you can while you can mentality and the hey if they're going to pay it, then we're not going to say no, but now all that take, take, take is coming back to bite them. The fans can no longer afford to go to games. Corporations can no longer subsidize the teams and networks. Who watches commercials any more? We Tivo our games, skip the commercials or if we're watching live, we annoy our spouse(s) and change the channel on the commercials.

I would say in general professional sports is at a crossroads - every major league has had issues recently with everyone wanting a piece of the pie. To call what the players have a 'union' does a disservice to "real" union employees that have to fight just to get the minimum working standards. To expect them to spend their hard fought earnings on some other union which is fighting literally over millions of dollars - does that make sense? The magnitude of their indulgences is truly unfathomable for the majority of union workers. Imagine teachers with their special skills asking for $500K/year instead of $50K?

No small wonder I stopped going to games years ago.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  8992 Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:43 am

Yes it is all greed, players owners, those businesses that make money from the sport selling food, t shirts, jerseys.....etc.

I can't feel bad for any of them and to me the NBA is made up of the worse offenders. Just look at those players coming out, or going to the meetings...what a bunch of thugs.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHHoopsFan Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm also ticked off about the NBA season, but I don't blame the players for not agreeing to one sided ultimatums. Thankfully, there is plenty of great college ball to enjoy!

NHHoopsFan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I have to say that in this one, I'm a little more on the side of the owners. The players in the NBA are ridiculously compensated on average compared to the other pro sports. It all came to a head for me last summer watching Lebron and the over the top "Decision" saga - that was so bad in terms of slapping the franchise and fans of Cleveland right in the face on national television. Then to watch Carmelo pull his antics to force a trade out of Denver and the subsequent rumors of other players looking to do the same things to form their own all star teams in bigger markets - no wonder the owners felt like the system had to be drastically overhauled - it was out of control in favor of the players; and now faced with coming back to reality (I wish I could live in that type of reality), they pull this one. At least the NFL had the good sense to get things wrapped up before the season started.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum