@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Time for Joepa to leave.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Time for Joepa to leave.

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 pm

I hear you Jaf. This latest alleged information would blow any cover on this story and expose this Penn St scandal as the worst one in sport's history. I was just talking to GNG about this. I brought up Ohio St from last year, the SMU death penalty, the BC basketball point shaving scandal from 25 to 30 years ago and the CCNY point shaving scandal in 1950 and 1951. Take your pick on which one would finish 2nd to this Penn St scandal. The chasm between Penn St and what scandal you'd pick second would be so great it wouldn't even be close.

I have come to the conclusion Paterno has had dementia for the last few years or is so warped by his power at Penn St he doesn't realize what real life is like beyond the walls of Happy Valley.

The press conference given last night by the Penn St Board of Trustees announcing the firing of Paterno was incredibly surreal. If you haven't seen it you should. It almost reminded me of the atmosphere of the Dallas press conference in 1963 when the police authorities announced they captured Lee Harvey Oswald who shot JFK. Just surreal.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:25 pm

This story has legs. We are going to be reading in the coming weeks about UNIMAGINABLE horrors. I really feel it might be time to give the NCAA some real power and clean up the sewer that is college sports.

Jaf mentioned Urban Meyer to come in and coach. I believe his team had 40 arrests his last year at Florida. How tragic is it that I can't come up with one quality name.

The SEC . Dirty as dirty can be. Everyone is EXPECTED to cheat in that conference.

USC- Lane Kiffin,dirty.

Oregon,Chip Kelly, dirty.

Texas, Mack Brown, graduates kids who can barely read.

College hoops makes the football teams look like choir boys.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Jay Bilas and Pat Hayden

Post  GNG on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Bilas hates what is happening in college hoops. He played at Duke. Put him in charge of the NCAA hoops division.

Hayden is the AD at USC. He is clean. Put him in charge of college football.

Give them adequate staffs to investigate the schools.

Give them the power to enforce the rules.

I am starting to be like boxout's dad. I am losing faith in the joke that is college sports.

It's hard to find a feel good story in college sports anymore.

I know I am just dreaming it will never happen. I can't even get the NHIAA to get 3 divisions in NH football.

I usually feel good after blogging , getting stuff off my chest, it just seems like nobody is listening to the real fans.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 pm

I hope Penn St gets sued a plethora of times by families of the victims.

I hope Paterno has a good attorney because his coaching nest egg will be in some serious trouble in the next few years if he lives that long.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Read these quotes by Barry Switzer on the Penn St situation....... Very interesting:

“Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,” Switzer said. “Everyone on that staff had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time.”

“You think that a 13-year assistant … hasn't told someone else?” Switzer said. “His wife? His father? People knew. The community knew.”

“There are more people culpable than just Joe Paterno and the athletic director,” Switzer said via telephone while traveling in Texas. “There are so many other people that have thought, ‘I could've done something about this, too' that didn't come forward. That's the tragedy of it.”

“There's no university immune to this,” Switzer said. “No one is immune to what happened at Penn State or what happened at Oklahoma. It happened years ago, and it'll happen years in the future.

“People make poor decisions, poor choices, and this is what can occur.”

“I'll tell you how it happens — it's the American sports phenomenon,” Switzer said. “I've seen it happen all my life; we've made coaches and players and athletes more than what we are. It's what happens in American sports. Because of that, they've gotten away with more than they should have."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 pm

It is rumored that those "in the joint" don't take kindly to anyone coming in that's harmed a child. Go figure - some of the most deranged criminals in the world have more common sense than a man who's been coaching 18-22 year young men for years. Paterno may have dementia, but that only accounts for a few years. We're talking 1998 here... I did get to see that conference last night - you are right, very bizarre. Gotta love the first question - "so who's going to coach on Saturday". WOW!

Like I originally said - there is just so much wrong on so many levels in this situation.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm

I don't know who was more moronic last night. The students rioting in support of Paterno or the people firing questions at the Board of Trustees. I'll go with the people asking questions because they were older and allegedly a little more mature. The guy running the press conference showed an extreme amount of patience and judisciousness dealing with the rabid brainless questioners.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 pm

This entire Penn State scandal is becoming something beyond anybody's worst nightmare. I was listening to Dennis and Callahan this morning on the way to work when the Pittsburgh reporter dropped the bombshell of the investigation into "pimping out boys to big time donors" or something to that effect. I literally almost drove off the road. It really makes you wonder how far people can fall in terms of basic humanity. How McQueary (the grad student that witnessed the incident in the shower) was able to walk away from what he saw without doing anything to help the boy is beyond comprehension - I would have found the nearest football helmet and bashed the s.o.b. Sandusky right over the head with it. There are moments when preservation of one's self has to take a back seat to doing not just the right thing, but the only thing any decent human being would do. How he could walk away from that, put it in the rearview mirror and find a way to sleep at night tells us all everything we need to know about him and the entire culture that has been created by Paterno and his cronies at Penn State. The fact that McQueary is still part of the program today, and watching the way the reporters and students responded to the announcement of Paterno's firing tells us that the entire Penn State community has a very, very long way to go - they just don't get it; watching the act put on by the Penn State community over the last 48 hours does not do much to give one hope for their future. I am in complete agreement with T&F - if these latest allegations prove true, the NCAA needs to blow the whole thing up for a good long time, if nothing else to let the entire Penn State community figure out how to get their priorities in order...disgusting...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:25 pm

The Board of Trustees have said they won't be firing Mike Mcqueary...Which is disgusting how they can let him get away is mind boggling. Like hoopfan said how he could've SEEN it not even overheard, wasn't told it, he saw it with his own eyes and didn't stop it or even try and report it to the police makes me sick. I can no longer be a fan of a School that can keep a scumbag like that stay on the staff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Exactly 100%. This situation is too big for any one or any entity in the state of Pennsylvania to deal with or do any impartial fact finding. The NCAA needs to step in and issue the death penalty. The Feds need to step in and handle the investigation of what Paterno knew and when he knew it. The legal counsel of Penn St will be very busy in the near future.

The community and culture of "WE Are Penn St" nurtured and looked the other way in this situation of the last 15 years. For doing this they will pay dearly with financial hits and it will be richly deserved and appropriate.

The one thing that bothers me is another timeline. They say this whole thing started in 1996. Sandusky became an asst coach at Penn St in 1977. Seeing what a perverse, warped and demonic thing he is you can't tell me there were no incidents that happened between the thing known as Sandusky and other vulnerable people in those 19 years between 1977 and 1996. I think back to the times when Penn St was really good in the 1980s when they won their 2 national titles. I remember the camera focusing on Sandusky and Bob Griese or some other college football commentator at the time would talk about him. They would always say he was one of the best asst coaches in college football. It was always brought up how he could easily be a head coach of some other program, but his love of Penn St and his association with Paterno is what kept him as a long standing Nittany Lion asst coach. I remember those words and video vividly.

Fast forwarding to today, now one knows why he continued as an asst at Penn St for all those years. It is Hannibal Lechter - like chilling to remember the previous comments of Griese etc and see how this incomprehensible situation came to fruition.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 am

This just reported by NBC news:

Joe Paterno has reached out to a prominent Washington criminal defense lawyer to represent him in the Penn State sex abuse case, a source close to the case told NBC News.

J. Sedgwick Sollers, who once represented President George H.W. Bush in the Iran-Contra affair, was contacted by Paterno's advisers on Thursday. But Sollers has not yet met with Paterno, and a formal retainer agreement has not been signed.

A source close to Paterno said that in addition to the investigations by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office, the former coach is concerned about the likelihood of civil lawsuits by Sandusky's alleged victims and their families.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 am

This also just in The Board of Trustees has definitely ruled Mcqueary out for the game against Nebraska due to the fact he has received numerous death threats.

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am

I feel so friggin mad, and helpless. The last time I was this steamed was when my youngest was in the eighth grade and we found out that a person had been hired by Urda to help coach Merrimack football. A coach who had one purpose, make sure his son plays, no matter what. I had witnessed it firsthand thru pop warner and middle school baseball. I wasn't gonna watch it in high school. At least with that anger I could do something. Orchastrate,organize,plot,plan,scheme. Next thing you know some pretty good Merrimack student athletes are finding their way to BG thanks to yours truly.
BG won 3 football titles in four years, Merrimack zero playoff appearances in the same time frame{and a program that has no light at the end of the tunnel}. That anger I was able to do something constructive with, well constructive from the BG point of view.

This anger just keeps festering. I might have to put a punching bag in my garage.

When the catholic priests scandal broke out I had an easy answer I stopped going to church. Not that I went more then 2 or 3 times a year anyway. I was like that's it I'm done until they let the priests get married.

I feel worse then I did on the priests scandal. It's almost that I expected it from priests, but not from coaches. How wacked is that?

Is anyone else feeling as pissed and helpless, or is it just me?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

How about the epically stupid move by Ashton Kutcher with his tweet that was critical of Penn St firing Paterno? Talk about the perfect example of someone in the younger generation not being informed and then going to a social network to rant about something he doesn't even know about. How about checking out the news every once in a while Ashton?

I don't know who looked more stupid this week, Rick Perry with his debate brain freeze or Kutcher with his uninformed tweet?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

There should be no games...

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am

for PSU. I strongly feel that they should not play out the rest of the season. They have no one to coach the team. The person who has been assigned to coach this weekend Tom Bradley has been on the staff for 33 years, clearly he knew something was going on. I think the younger Paterno should also be dismissed. Is anyone else a little surprised at the Board of Trustees? I would be absolutely shocked if no one from this board didn't know what was going on. I know these jobs are coveted and once you get on a Board of Trustees, you stay there. How many on this board have been on the board for say, more than a year? They all also should be fired. Letting Sandusky run camps at PSU is something this board allowed. Can them all.
GNG I hope this doesn't upset you and it is not my intent. I may argue with you till I am blue in the face, but I respect you as a man, father, and sports fan. However, you brought it up so I have to ask. I have a good idea about the player you are talking about at Merrimack, you can see daddy on the tube at 11. So I can understand trying to recruit for BG out of Merrimack. You also mentioned you stopped going to church when the sex abuse scandal rocked the Catholic Church. Here goes, this Catholic church scandal was present in NH and more specifically at Bishop Guertin. Whether it was Labbe, Beaulieu, Cyr, or McEneneny. These people were accused and accused again. But the sickest part is that some of them still get to be related to the church. The Brothers of Sacred Hearts has a list of child molesters bigger than PSU. I guess I don't understand why you would send your kids there. Please I be you to help me understand. It is like the PSU victim whose sister attends PSU to this day. That absolutely boggles my mind.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am

How about the news item with regards to the car company that has pulled it's sponsorship of the next 2 Penn St games on ABC. I have a feeling this will be the tip of the financial iceberg for Happy Valley.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 am

It's too bad an alum couldn't step in and coach for the rest of the season.

I hate to penalize the kids on the team, but NO ONE on that damned coaching staff should be there.

There are enough alum who played some pro football before retirement.... Yes, it would hurt their competitive chances... but it would send a great message.

This entire situation makes me sick

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Tulley

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 am

At this point, I don't even trust ex-players. They obviously heard grumbling and talk. They saw Sandusky running around with children. I don't trust anyone at PSU.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:11 am

I have to admit I am crossed between not playing the game and playing the game for the seniors who put in all the hard work and are the innocent bystanders in this.

The game is at Noon tomorrow. I despise the probable chants, signs and other things that will support Paterno in the 100 plus thousand of the Happy Valley Stadium tomorrow. This will be a nation wide forum for the insulated Penn St fandom to show their appreciation of a man, coaching staff and institution that looked the other way when confronted with a moral intersection.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 am

I'm torn, too.

But I mean - bring in a HS coach and let them play - but play without the taint.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

T@F

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:18 am

With all that has been going on, are you going to be naive enough to believe that these so called innocent Seniors, never saw strange behavior at PSU. Sandusky has been on campus all along. These players never spoke up or made waves about him being around children. I am not so sure any of these players are innocent. Innocent of crimes, guilty by morals.
It has also been reported that Sandusky made the commencement speech in 2009. Is that sick or what. So to me everyone from the President to the students (including athletes) are guilty of moral codes. Can you imagine in the year 2009 and all that Sandusky had already been accused of and no one made a stink to 60 minutes or 20/20 about him making speeches at school. I would bet that Sandusky has made pre-game and half-time speeches to these players.

Last edited by boxout on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more thoughts)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 pm

I don't think I'm being naive, Boxout.

Believe it or not there are innocent people to this situation somewhere on the Penn St campus. Seeing Sandusky was not part of this team for a while I'm sure the majority of the seniors, if not all of them, never even gave Sandusky a thought.

Perhaps if they didn't play the game, then it would give more credence to the power of Paterno as in they can't play without him. In some way I think it might be part of the healing process for this program to go on without Paterno and playing the game tomorrow without Paterno in the stadium might be a step in the right direction.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:13 pm

I think the only way to take a step in the right direction would to be get rid of the whole staff. Every single one of those coaches have been there for at least 8 years with a few of them being there for 20-30+. There's no way that they all didn't know some of the details of what as going on (probably knew a lot but they at least knew something) So I'm not saying give the death penalty for a few years, but I'd cancel the remainder of this season to get rid of all the coaches, and start the hiring process.

I also don't think you can get a former Penn State assistant, I've heard Greg Schiano of Rutgers, Al Golden and other guys that are former Penn State guys. I don't think they can hire these guys because nearly all of them were at PSU while Sandusky was committing these crimes.

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02 pm

No boxout I actually like the Kings. Different coach,doesn't matter.

I am at the BG game at 1 pm at Stellos up top standing next to the announcer's booth, so I won't be watching Penn ST.

Lost power today. Amazing how much calmer I am after not watching espn and all the other sports shows. Time to go watch and get caught up, and get all fired up.

Boxout it never even crossed my mind about the Brothers. Should of, but it didn't.

Last edited by GNG on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

BIGMAN, We got to find you a new team.

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:14 pm

How about STANFORD? Smart kids, great school. They play physical football, They might not win it ever, but they will be a top ten team.

They are my new team.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: