@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

I have thrown in the towel, the nhiaa wins. T@F was right

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I have thrown in the towel, the nhiaa wins. T@F was right

Post  JAF on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:27 am

Logic and sense are two words not in the vocabulary of those in charge of the NHIAA. It's all about how you look, good sportsmanship, and status quo.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

One more time

Post  GNG on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:23 am

I know they won't adopt our model of less divisions this cycle. With that in mind I give you this.

DIVISION ONE 10 TEAMS. Exeter, BG, Pinkerton,Londonderry, Salem, North, Central, South, Memorial, and Concord.

DIVISION TWO 9 TEAMS. Keene, Bedford, Spaulding, Dover, Winnie, Timberlane, Portsmouth, West, and Merrimack.

DIVISION THREE 9 TEAMS. Alvirne, Goffstown, Trinity, Milford, Hollis Brookline, Souhegan,Conval, Pelham, and Pembroke.

Division one would only have 1 out of division game.

You could switch Alvirne and Portsmouth, but Alvirne wants to be in d3.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

What is this print edition that Mr. Thaler refers to?

Post  GNG on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 am

Marc reports in today's Union Leader what we wrote about last week? BG stays in 2, Exeter in 1, Bedford 2, and Trinity 3.

Ever notice The Forum is usually 2 or 3 steps or in the Telegraph's case 100 steps of the traditional news outlets for breaking high school related sports news.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Schools are going in to plead their cases as to this latest proposal. Bedford is going in loaded to stay in three. Trinity wants to stay in 4.

Is it true that Bedford has two feeder programs in the 8th grade?

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes bumper bedford has an AYF team the Bedford Jaguars which always has high numbers, and they have a GSYFL team the Bedford Bulldogs.

Back to top Go down

Bigman don't misunderstand me...

Post  boxout on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:28 am

I am not trying to put Milford down at all. But I hope you see my point. I don't remember Milford kicking a FG this season. So that in it self makes me wonder how this team is chosen. I am starting to agree with the louder the coach the more votes. You can't tell me that teams that are higher than Milford (6th place in DIII), didn't have someone kicking XP's for them as well. I bet they rarely missed as well. Not to mention someone may have kicked a FG on some other team.
If you go back to the season we discussed here on the forum, no one, me included, ever stated did you see that FG that Milford kicker kicked? Not one. As a matter of fact I complained about Milford never kicking FG's. I wanted her to kick more because she does have a foot. There were drives that Milford would be 1st and goal at the 5 and would get 8 chances to punch it in and wouldn't, well she is not kicking FG's in that situation. Also and you know this, Milford goes for two a lot, seeing they play from behind so much.
I am going to confirm this with my source with the team, I don't believe she was there opening day. At that time I believe soccer player Richie Moore was doing the kicking and something happened with that. So I am pretty sure that she missed at least that game. I am not sure how close you are to this team, I am not, be the first to admit it. But Milford's roster sheet had mistakes in it most of the season. There were players who weren't wearing the numbers according to the roster sheet. If you are close to this team, can you find out how many FG's she kicked this year? I would be curious to know.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

^ Not sure how this relates to restructuring the Divisions

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 pm

I think it should have been posted in the D3 football thread but I don't know how to move it.
I figured out how to split into a new thread, but not move it to an existing thread.

Perhaps Boxout could copy it and repost it in the correct thread and then delete the post in this thread?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:28 am

Finally took the time to listen to the podcast's from Thaler/Brown's radio show last weekend - there was some interesting conversation as it pertains to realignment. I think they missed an opportunity to "get into" a fix though. Both were discouraged by the number of teams petitioning down and the two teams that got "placed" - Trinity to 3 even though they asked for 4 and St. Thomas to 4 instead of 5. Interesting that both are private schools where the committee tried to push/place. I'm sure both draw the ire of others in their division (just like BG in D2) due to their ability to draw from more than just one small defined area. Brown's focus was his 3 Division proposal and how it would eliminate some of the niggling that takes place between teams that are on the cusp of a division in the current format. He did concede that the smaller schools in the larger divisional format would be challenged the most. Thaler's focus was a bit of play up and challenge yourself rather than being content with winning in your division. He called out Plymouth & BG for football and also noted how content Portsmouth is in baseball in D2 now that they are winning. Both also prefer to have "most" games be competitive - Roger notes it was discouraging to have a game be 42-6 in the 3rd so many times this year.

Anyway, what I think they were around the edges on and I wish could have been discussed was what if the committee forced continually successful programs like BG, Souhegan, & Plymouth to "play up"? Perhaps those schools that are petitioning down wouldn't have cause any more. With BG & Exeter out of D2 - I doubt Alvirne would be petitioning down. Nor would Bedford be attempting to petition back down to D3 if they also had Souhegan joining them in D2. With Bedford and Souhegan out of D3, you probably have a Plymouth and Trinity that may be OK in D3. You may even see a Laconia and/or Kennett try to stay with them. The problem of the comfort level of these programs in winning year after year in the end is probably what drives the other schools to petition down. I don't doubt now at all that Plymouth looked ahead a few years ago and saw Souhegan would be too good so they decided to "stay" in D4.

One other topic they broached - "I wonder how BG parents feel seeing Exeter be so successful so quickly in D1". I would say there is some envy - I have heard more than one say they miss the Exeter game (except for the home town DPI call :-)). The "next" group of parents though have no idea unless they have older children. Next year's seniors would have been freshman the last time BG/Exeter played (a 42-0 BG win). That was the Fall09 game with the group of seniors that destroyed all NH competition and crushed CM that year. So the reality is most of the current parents have no idea. I miss it because it was the one game the coaches worried most about and the atmosphere surrounding those games was always great. For the years I've gone most were played either on Senior Night and/or as the Championship game. Nothing beats a full Ball or Stellos Stadium - always funny to hear the announcer say the 50/50 pot is over a $1K...

So what do others think? Do you force teams up? I know how most feel about BG, but think about it... Do you force Souhegan, Plymouth, Trinity, StThomas, ILM up because they've been winning championships or they have continually successful programs? Would that punish successful programs while rewarding those that are content with being mediocre or do nothing but complain how unfair it is for some other program to be so successful? What happens in 2 years if those schools don't fare well up? Exeter winning so quickly is a testament to their program and players, no doubt. Is 2 years too short of a cycle? Does the population really shift that much?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 pm

I have a lot of associates with ties to BG, so what I'm about to say should be taken with this:

I think it's utterly ridiculous for the BG football program to remain in D2. They have won 4 D2 titles in a row and 7 of the last 8. Any team that does this who ISN'T A D1 TEAM should move up a division. I give praise to BG when they do things right in sports. In this instance I will call them on the NHIAA carpet and say:

Man up, football up and move up to D1. Staying in D2, especially after what Exeter did in the 2011 season in D1, just makes you look very questionable to the HS football fans in NH.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 pm

I have no issues with your feelings, but let's be honest - did you really expect BG to win this year? This year probably should have been Keene, but Boulay went down early and changed their season. Last year with Mike Kelly - BG would have won every game even easier. Without him though, Winnacunnet should have won it. In fact they had it won, they just bad coaching moves and a re-injury to their top RB/LB midway through the game. I do agree - BG should have been D1 the last two years. But that's the difference - over the last two years BG has been able to withstand a couple of injuries to key players while other schools cannot.

Part of the problem lies with the football committee.... Right now they seem stuck on having divisions of 9 for the top 3. According to what I listened to today, they floated a plan with 10 in the top 3 tiers, but they always ended up with a problem team. Two years ago from what I remember - Tojo did try to get moved up. Yes it was a bit late, but they tried once they found out the groupings put Exeter up. At the time the option was BG or Exeter. That would have been wrong IMO. Both was the better answer for D2 and NH football. The problem was - who would take BG's D2 slot? And whomever moves up into D2, who takes the D3 spot. I think in the end that's where things fall apart. The larger D4 schools aren't necessarily the stronger programs. I say you go with strength - pushing Souhegan up to D2 and Plymouth & Laconia up to D3, while dropping Pelham back to D4. The other part of the problem lies with the schools/programs... Souhegan would have complained since they aren't one of the larger D3 programs (Goffstown was the largest). Plymouth probably knew they were going to struggle in D4 last year, but be very competitive this year. Lebanon had a single super season with a very good player (Patch), but has come back to earth. Laconia has struggled through injuries. Both probably would indicate they'd prefer to stay with their natural rivals *and* would prefer to keep their travel costs down. Trinity would have been the natural D3 choice then, but they would have played the size card - further proved by their complaint over the next cycle's placement.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 pm

JAF, you just made Tuesday and Friday's argument for why BG SHOULD be in D-I - because last year they lost Mike Kelly and they STILL won the title. This year they had Crane and Carper transfer, they lost Brody for the year, they had a new coach and they STILL won the title. Yes, the Boulay injury hurt Keene, but they didn't even make the playoffs without him, do you really think they would have won the title if he was healthy? No way! What this shows is that no matter what happens (injuries, guys transfer, new coach), even when they're in a 'down year' they STILL win the title. Not only have they won titles last 2 years but they have been a top 3 team in the entire state in the end of season rankings. Why? Because it's a football factory, they just have so many good football players who come through the school, year after year. They belong in D-I, no question about it.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Jeremy please take a picture of my next comment and have it blown up into a 20 X 30 linen backed framed keepsake to put in your sport's memorabilia room:

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Jeremy Leveille said in the above post.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 pm

JAF, with it being the holiday season and all, if you want the same linen backed framed print, just let me know Twisted Evil

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:43 pm

lol! I never thought this day would come, T&F

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Jeremy, if I could just get you to agree with me 100% about the rules of basketball and their interpretations, well..... I would be as happy as................................

................. George Bailey running around Bedford Falls on Dec. 24th wishing every one a Merry Christmas !!!

santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:24 pm

I think we're all in agreement here about BG. The kool-aid I drank a few years ago about staying in D2 has long since been digested Wink

BTW: Do I think Keene would have won with Boulay. Tough to say - that kind of 1-2 punch (with Parenteau), a QB that could throw/run, and a coach that seems to have BG's number - well who knows. They would have made playoffs for sure - after that as we all know - it's a crap shoot. It would have certainly changed the order of teams.

So let's move off of that... What about 10 team D1? Would it be "fair" to trade Exeter/BG - no way. Not this year and certainly not 2 years ago. Exeter would have 3 championships instead of BG. Should the NHIAA force successful programs up? Yes, I think so. Another interesting point from Thaler/Brown was a general agreement that there should be 1 state champion - everyone else is playing for their division crown. Interesting concept, don't you think?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 pm

They could easily do regulation like soccer in Europe but do it on a one year cycle instead of three, top 2 teams move up bottom 2 move down, but I also think thy should count non division games if they are played in the state for something

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 am

BG staying in D2.

JUST PLAIN WRONG.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down