New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Week 5 Thoughts

+5
thecreed
SofaKing
E.I.R.
JAF
MaxSportsNH
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 5 Thoughts Empty Week 5 Thoughts

Post  MaxSportsNH Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Figured it was time to start a new thread and get away from the all the sillyness and back to talking some football again.

Week 5 shows some good matchups on Tap.

D1
Pinkerton @ Exeter
Can coach Ball plan and execute with this group against a monster astro team?
Might be closer than people think @ Home for the BlueHawks.
Pinkerton 28 Exeter 13

South Vs North
Thursday night parade @ Stellos for the Panthers, North cant hang.
South 56 North 34

Salem @ Timberlane (SO)
Does Fredrick return from hip shot that took him out of game early last week ? Is Timby back on track?
When I saw Timberlane early this season i thought they showed alot of potential, Could be one of the games of the week, both teams always play each other tough in this border battle.
Timberlane 24 Salem 22

D2
Merrimack @ Keene
Im not GNG and I still like games not in the Top5 , Early week game, less prep for both teams, and both teams coming off
2 weeks of tough losses. Is King back for this game ? Merrimack lost a couple more players playing Timby so it could be ugly.
Keene is imploding right now, Boulay gone, Line is playing week. Loupo is being described by many as a "punk" on the field and not a leader(15yard Unsportsmanlike, jogging, going thru motions etc) Merrimack has a young but tough team. This could be the pinnacle game for one of these 2 win and stay alive, lose and its all practice until next august.
Merrimack 13 Keene 7

BG @ Dover
Last year Dover came into Nashua and beat up the golden boys and blanked them for the first time in ??? 7-0, was a true turning point for BG as they ended up keeping the D2 crown and playing better football. Coach Osborn is a tremendous planner and gets his kids to buy in to the system and they truely believe they can win(and do) , My bet is Coach Osborn
has had a sip of tiger blood from the challis of winning in his life and goes for it. Which BG team will show up friday night on the coast? The quick pursuit, edge stopping, tackling team on defense we have seen in some of the games so far or will it be a an unprepared to win, lifeless team we saw friday @ stellos . Will we see a BG offense put points on the board against a real defense? or will they 3 and out or absolutely kill themselves with flags over and over like they have thus far against any decent team that can contain the outside. This is the game of the week for fans and possibly the game of the year for one of these teams.
BG 24 Dover 14

West @ Spaulding
Why ? becuase ......Spaulding is not a bad football team this year, good blocking up front, good play calls, they play with heart and passion. West is rebounding from years of low numbers and something else I havent put my finger on as of yet, but both teams playing better than have in previous what ? 4 years?
Spaulding 36 West 19

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Thoughts Empty Re: Week 5 Thoughts

Post  JAF Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 pm

I'd be surprised if the EX/PA game is that high scoring. Both teams like those long ground game control the ball affairs. Sounds like EX will be missing one of their backs too, so that could be a big factor. If EX has speed on the DE's, then it'll be up to Davies and Coombs to provide the offense here.

North scoring 34? Wowsa! I realize D1 teams haven't been playing defense much and this is a "rivalry game", but that's a lotta points. I don't doubt South will win though...

Is Bidgood back? I think both sides play that game very conservatively. Salem probably tries to rest Fedrick...

MMK *at* Keene - does anyone need to say anything more? If King is out, expect an Alvirne like score 31-7. Keene will be pass happy.

BG/Dover ought to be good game. I have a feeling it will be high scoring - it could come down to last possession.

Who woulda thunk Spaulding could be on a 2 game winning streak after this weekend!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm

not sure if King is back or Not, Myers is a great runner though and can get down the field quick. I think MMK Fullback Mcarthy is also out, hes very good.

you really think High Scoring in the BG Dover game ? I am not sure BG can put up 24 with the offense unless they go to the air alot, if Fahey is back they may have the option game you were talking about ? I Put BG with 24 points because something has to click with these kids, i think it really will come down to how the teams practice this week. and if BG can get UP emotionally.
I am excited to see the Dover QB Tyler A. he has decent numbers so far ans has a good amount of rushing yards.

Dover did let up 20+ to Merrimack but that was week 2, Dover ALWAYS seems to get better each week and they have to be pumped up for the home game against BG.

should be great. you making the trip JAF?

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree JAF. Dover has shut out the last 3 weeks (albeit against "iffy" offenses) and with the exception of BG-CM, BG has allowed more than 1 TD to be scored on them ONCE, versus Pinkerton. My bet is, close game, low scoring, down to the last possession.
When I saw Spaulding-BG, I actually liked that Spaulding team a lot. They play tough and hard every week because no one expects any talent. Defensively, to quote Remember the Titans, they "BLITZ ALL NIGHT!!!" and its tough to defend 8 guys with 5 blockers. Offensively they just go for 3 yards a carry, all the way down the field.They wedge their line and run behind it until the mosh pit collapses or the back can break outside. Boring style, but it was relatively effective against BG, and I expect this team to be a playoff caliber team within a year (keep in mind they have ANOTHER new coach, and he seems to be turning them around). They roll against West.
I agree Max, do or die for Keene and Merrimack. This win could mean the #4 seed the way D2 has been this year.
JAF called the North-South game. Look for little to no defense and South to romp. These two teams are notorious for bad defensive play though, even in D1 which has 2 good defenses...
Which brings me to Pinkerton-Exeter. I think they both play a tough game but let's face it, Pinkerton goes undefeated this year.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

High scoring is in the eye of the beholder. Last year there were 7 points scored... This year, I think Dover will score more than 14... I don't think we'll be in the 30's, but more in the 20's... I doubt BG will go option - Coach Cote is really trying to run the wing-t. The boys seem to be getting more used to it. Does Dover have quick DE's or DB's? Could be the difference whether those end arounds that Boykin ran against MMK will work or not. CM certainly sniffed them out. If Fahey is back, the vertical passing game will be back in play.

Dover is not unlike any other D2 team which gets pumped up for BG. I have no doubt Coach Osbon and crew will have them ready to play and understanding the keys they have to read and execute. Your question about BG's practice is a good one - I have to believe the coaches will be impressing on the boys the importance of the game and this week they'll at least be better prepared.

I'm hoping to be at the game. Depends on baseball schedule for my youngest son. Last I heard was they were going to try and makeup DEVO league games on Friday night. I'm kind of hoping they aren't though...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:25 pm

The Milford / Bedford game could be for the 4 seed in D3, depending on how Souhegan recovers from a tough start.

I think Keene beats Merrimack in a close one. I don't think Merrimack is experienced enough yet to handle "big games," and King hasn't really performed well this year without other backfield mates (and last year's O-line) to take the heat off of him.

Pinkerton will beat Exeter in the battle of 2 of the best coaching staffs in the state.

Dover is a talented, well-coached team who always gets up for BG. That being said, BG is still the class of the division and will win a close battle against the Wave.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Thoughts Empty dover v bg

Post  thecreed Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Bg will win game on athletic ability alone, unless dover stems the defensive fronts and blitzes gaps. If dovers defense does that than BG young line will not handle it and their offense will stall, however if dover plays static they will lose by two touchdowns.. Bg would be smart to go no huddle have the kids memorize 6 plays four runs and two passes and gas dover and keep the from changeing defensive fronts and blitzing, but i doubt that is their gameplan. Should be because winner will probably get homefield advantage. By the way a different set of 6 plays should be used in second half easy to do and very efective and dover will never expect it.

thecreed
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Thoughts Empty dover v bg

Post  thecreed Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Bg will win game on athletic ability alone, unless dover stems the defensive fronts and blitzes gaps. If dovers defense does that than BG young line will not handle it and their offense will stall, however if dover plays static they will lose by two touchdowns.. Bg would be smart to go no huddle have the kids memorize 6 plays four runs and two passes and gas dover and keep the from changeing defensive fronts and blitzing, but i doubt that is their gameplan. Should be because winner will probably get homefield advantage. By the way a different set of 6 plays should be used in second half easy to do and very efective and dover will never expect it.

thecreed
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I got Pinkerton big 35-14, South bigger 42-14, and Keene biggest 49-7.

Coach Ball will file every nugget of info from this game for the next time they meet this year.

South wants to make a statement.

Keene loses this one, and it's better luck next season.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Week 5 Thoughts Empty BG REST OF SEASON

Post  thecreed Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 pm

BG shouldnt lose again this year, winni is down keene too alvirne and west cant hang . As far as playoffs go i will wait to see injury reports, but as long as they win friday nite and dont let dover confuse them on defense than bg will be one seed and win a 7th title. If they do then congrats to those kids and get ready for next year for it will probably be in division one where they will be competitive too, but not as dominant unless they go back to the option game than that would even the field a bit.

thecreed
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:05 pm

God Bless The Creed, If only that vast amount of football genius could be passed thru a headset..........

CUE Edith.......Those were the Days.

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Stead Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:59 pm

I think PA will handle Exeter 35-7 but as GNG mentioned it will tighten up when/if they meet in the playoffs, O'Reilly vs Ball with good teams, doesn't get any better than that unless... well let's not get that conversation started. I have posed this question a couple of times and have yet to see a response, what would Exeter look like in D2 this year. I know they would be at the top somewhere but I have not seen them play yet, so I can't compare them to BG, Dover etc. They have had a soft schedule so far. Salem beats Timberlane with or without Jeri. South beats North because North was decimated by graduation not because South is that good. They have excellent skill players on offense but they still haven't shored up that D. BG/Dover, I will leave that to the experts. On another note, if you get a chance to see PA play, keep your eye on Ryan Coombs, Davies, Smith, and Lattimore get most of the press but Ryan is a freakish athlete. Last week 5-6 extra points kicking, 74 and 80 yard punt return td's, and a 75 yard recieving td all while playing the entire game at corner, reciever, kicker, and punter.

Stead
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 am

Great job Stead. That is the type of insight that the forum is known for. Coombs, I will remember the name.

I answered you on another thread , you must have missed it. Exeter would be the class of d2 this season . They have been very consistent all season long. Those Exeter-BG matchups were UNBELIEVABLE.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 am

Unbelivable. If memory serves me right at BG'S post season banquet the award that the linemen covetted was a trophy presented by a certain high profile asst. coach. The name of the trophy was THE CREED.

I have no proof who THE CREED is{ although I have a strong suspicion}, but he sure seems like a guy with a ton of football knowledge, and insight on how to win.

WOW, it's like you won't call me so I will tell you what I would do to beat Dover on the forum. I love it.

You don't get this on any other forum in NH.

Time to make the call.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am

Watch it GNG. You are treading water in the Forum ocean and there are sharks close by. You don't want to draw any more sharks by opening up old wounds and letting blood flow into the Forum ocean. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am

Interesting comments on NH football report this AM in his "state of football" , another great NH site.

"South is the best team in Nashua this season, and that includes a certain school that competes in Division II."

Isnt it time for a certain game on a certain holiday to include a certain School that competes in D2? , North really is struggling and i bet it would be a game for sure. Call your senators now folks !! haha

Dover 21
Bishop Guertin 14

Stunned by BG's performance last Friday. Catholic Memorial isn't that good.

I agree, but BG was that bad.

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:21 am

I wish he'd compare CM to someone in NH, but I do agree with the sentiment. BG was plain horrible last Friday night. CM was big up front and BG spent some time "trying" to arm tackle their RB, very unsuccessfully. BG may have held Merrimack and Timberlane to lone scores, but I think Dover is better and it's why I think they'll score more than once. A big pass play, followed by a gut run. You have to believe Osbon asked Timby and Merry for their BG game tapes. I cannot imagine he didn't have a scout at Spaulding... probably has tape from there too.

Please no Turkey Bowl games - that's another "holy war" that inflames the citizenry of Nashua... When I was a student and in college, I loved those games - especially coming back from college. However, as my oldest son pointed out to me - who wants to get up at 7A, be at Stellos around 8A for taping, and play a game after having played in a State Championship game the previous Saturday. Ask recent Souhegan kids - they hate their milk jug game for the last couple of years. Merrimack was resting and planning for 3 weeks, while Souhegan was coming off championships.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:33 am

Just a thought. I know in the eyes of some BG supporters Coach Cote didn't have his team ready to play CM. Fair point, but also a fair point to suggest Coach Cote put more energy and team resolve into prepping for the Dover game which is a heck of a lot more important than the CM game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am

@T&F i guess that answer will be known for sure about 9:15pm Friday night.

I think the Turkey bowl Battle of BG vs Nashua is more of a pipedream for the old folks that grew up with it as a tradition when there was a rivalry.

Ive asked my own kid about it and his answer was always flatly ....No way, WHY would we?

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm

You're right MaxSports. I don't think there will ever be the passion or interest in Turkey Bowl games like there was 10 to 30 years ago. I get the feeling most players would rather roll out of bed later on Thanksgiving, get on facebook/texting on their phones and find out what every one is doing later on.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Pinkerton 21 Exeter 3 Near Half

South 34 North 0 Half

If you have twitter you can get the updates from the nhhssports twitter page or marc_thaler.

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 pm

47-0 South
42-16 Pinkerton

Ouch! Hard to believe PA will lose this year. Maybe on a day with 4" of muck and a driving rain! I've seen it neutralize the fastest teams (BG @ Keene a couple years ago).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:28 pm

If Pinkerton loses this year I will carry GNG on my shoulders from the entrance of The Jade to the entrance of BG.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Stead Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 am

Nice win by the Astros and was never close, Davies had a monster game but these stats from Marc Thaler's twitter feed regarding Emmitt Smith's performance are jaw dropping. "Here's a tough-to-top Week 6 performance: RB Emmitt Smith runs for 288 yards & 3 TDs -- on 8 carries. No. 1 Pinkerton 42, No. 2 Exeter 16" It was a thing of beauty, watch out Boxers.

Stead
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 am

Pinkerton is done playing the hard part of their division 1 schedule. Except for out of conference Brockton, it's nothing but marshmellows and cupcakes until the playoffs.

They are a complete team on both sides of the ball, and special teams.

They are destroying teams in one half of football. Destroying them.

Pinkerton 16 BG 0 will be the closest any NH team gets to the Astros this season. This is a special team.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next