@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Why do coaches continue to kickoff to kids that run it back for a td?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do coaches continue to kickoff to kids that run it back for a td?

Post  GNG on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:49 am

I always wondered why coaches would kick the ball to Mike Kelly. Didn't the coaches know if he wasn't running it back for a score ,he would at the very least get great field position.

Why would any coach kick the ball to Federick the rest of the season? Isn't it better to have them start at the 35 yard line{not sure} rather then give up 6 points. If your PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME { love Herm Edwards} that kid doesn't see a kickoff or punt the rest of the season. It serves 2 purposes. One your not giving up a td, and two it frustrates the other team knowing your taking away a major weapon.

It's not rocket science. The more touches a stud gets, the more chances he has to score. Limit his touches, and you limit his chances to score.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON, NH high school coaches. No thanks are needed. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do coaches continue to kickoff to kids that run it back for a td?

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 pm

All you need to know about SOME football coaches is when Bo Schembechler decided to kickoff a 2nd time to Rocket Ismail in the 1989 ND - Michigan game. Rocket returned a kick for a long TD run. Michigan (Hard headed football coach) decided to kick off again to Rocket on the next chance to kick to ND. Rocket retuned the 2nd consecutive kick for a TD also. In the press conference after the game, when Schembechler was asked about the reasoning to kick off a 2nd time to Rocket after the 1st TD, the crusty coach glared at the reporter and gave a "Bobby Knight" like response that questioned why the reporter had the temerity to ask the question. He also said some garbledeegook about how his team should've been up to the challenge to stopping the Rocket on the 2nd kickoff.

Some times football coaches put their teams in a position to win and other times they put their teams in a position to lose. Schembechler was so enraptured with his rock football coaching mindset that he couldn't even see that he put his team in a position to lose, which they did, by "hard headingly" kicking off again to the Rocket.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Anybody read NH GAMEDAY today. Where does Marc Thaler come up with these great questions? He must read the NH SPORTS FORUM. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Federick ran back a kickoff for a td against memorial. I hope Memorial loses now. Any coach that kicks off to him doesn't give his team the best possible chance to win. When will you coaches learn??????????????????

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:58 am

Memorial was up 34-30 with less then 2 minutes to play. Now subtract the kickoff return by Federick and Memorial would be up 34- 23 with less then 2 minutes to play.WAY TO GO COACH.

Ignorance is one thing, stupidity is another. I would love to hear why he kicked to the most dangerous back in NH high school football.

Cost his team,BIGTIME Mad Mad

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:01 am

Further evidence football coaches are the most hardened and stubborn coaches there are. There is no excuse at this point for ANY team to have a kickoff returned for a TD against them by Fedrick for the rest of the season. The only excuse I would accept is if all 11 members of a kickoff team experienced cramps in their legs just as Fedrick picked up a bouncing ball about to go out of bounds on a kickoff. Other that that scenario, the onus would be on the narrow minded stubborn head coach of any team that chooses to kickoff to Fedrick for the rest of the season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:35 pm

We have a winner. Pinkerton chose not to kick to Federick. See that's what GOOD coaches do. By limiting his touches, you limit his chances to score.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:09 am

Maybe, this is one of the reasons why Pinkerton is the consensus #1 football team in the state right now.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Kick Returners

Post  boxout on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 am

I agree with all of you, but I think you guys are thinking too much NFL and not HS. The biggest problem with coaches not being able to keep the ball out of a kick returners hands falls on the Kicker. If a kicker can't boot it out of the end zone, then there will be a return. I have seen maybe a handful of kickers in the last 15 years that can kick a ball out of the end zone. Out of those 5 maybe two can do it habitually. Now I know you are thinking, well kick it out of bounds. That can be dangerous too, do you really want to put, where the ball went out of bounds in the hands of officials? I am not the greatest sideline referee, but there are times when I think a ball goes out at the 35, and some official will put it at the 40. I know they have a better view than I do, but I am far from blind, no glasses. I know that kicking it out at the 40 is better than a TD, but to completely blame coaches is a little out there, these coaches aren't stupid.
Many kickers and punters in HS are not strictly kickers and punters, they play other positions. Those other positions are more focused on then kicking. I know many schools are implementing taking soccer players and making them kickers and punters, works in theory. But many soccer players with a booming kick, can't score goals, they are the players who take shots in a soccer game and kick the ball ten feet over the net or 10 feet wide of the net. Here is news for you coaches, just because a kid can kick a ball 40 yards on a soccer field does not mean they do it accurately. So if they can't shoot a goal on a soccer net, what makes you think they can kick FG or punt?
All you Patriots fans must remember on of the most over rated coaches in the history of the NFL also had the same attitude as Bo at Michigan. He decided to kick to Desmond Howard in a Super Bowl and paid dearly.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:51 pm

It's better to make the team go 60 yards by kicking it out of bounds than watch the scoreboard operator click 6 more points on the scoreboard after a 70 to 100 yard kick off return. I'll take my chances with making a team go 70, 65, 60 yards etc.

I would prefer to use the word "stubborn" to describe some football coaches with the kickoff issue as opposed to "stupid."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

You would rather at the 40....

Post  boxout on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Again actually a good idea in theory. The problem with taking the ball at the 40 is you don't get the choice (kicking team), you get flagged. Then the receiving team has the choice to take it at the 40 or to MAKE THEM KICK IT AGAIN, 5 Yards back. So then you can kiss the end zone kick out the window too. You might say kick it out again, go ahead and we will do the same thing, you can back up another 5 yards after the penalty. Repeat as needed.
Kick Returning and Punt returning for Td's is 99% the kicking teams inability to tackle and fill their lanes. Maybe teaching players how to take a players legs out to tackle is a better method, than just saying, kids, "you can't tackle this kid, lets just give up, and kick the ball out of bounds".

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Understood about the penalty, but coaches can figure out a way to keep the ball away from good kick returners. Pinkerton did it against Salem. There's always the option of pooching it so it falls in no mans land and there is a longer onside kick to make a team go 50, 60 or 70 yards as opposed to a 13 to 20 second easy TD. There are other options to kicking it directly at a good kick returner. There are a lot of reasons why Pinkerton is at the top. Coaching is one of them. There is a reason why Team A or Team B is 1-3 or 0 - 4 right now. Coaching is one of them. Coaches who make the choice to constantly kick it off to good kick returners either can't coach correctly or just don't have their teams prepared correctly for that game. This is why practices are held during the week, to prepare your teams for Fridays and Saturdays.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Practice

Post  boxout on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I agree with most everything you are saying T&F, but I think you are using bad examples. Pinkerton is a bad example, there is a reason why they are number 1. They have talent. Not every team can put their Defense out there and be confident.
Is Federick 12 out of 12 KR for TD's? If he is not perfect then some team is stopping him. Why a team is 0-4 or 1-3 has more problems than just KR coverage.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm not focusing on just the kick coverage, but using it as one of the reasons why a team is 1 - 3 or 0 - 4. Talent certainly has something to do with it or lack thereof. There are a lot of reasons why some teams continue to wallow in the lower depths of their respective divisions. This is a thread of kicking off and the decisions or stubborness to continue kicking off to good kick returners. There are other ways of strategizing the kickoffs. Football coaches can be stubborn. It's a fabric for the sport.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum