New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

SENIOR NIGHT

+6
nyk
JAF
chicagokid43
Tuesday and Friday
EBlessNHSP
GNG
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty SENIOR NIGHT

Post  GNG Mon May 23, 2011 9:57 am

Just not the same in baseball. In football BG played Keene, good crowd on hand, it was fun. In basketball senior night was awesome. Playing Merrimack in front of a packed house,taking care of business. It was billed as Merrimack playing Merrimack, so much fun was had. That night will be remembered for a long time.
Tonight is going to have a different feel. When the parents are called to the field before the game, nobody will be left in the stands. Pretty funny. Onto the game.
Both teams have the same record 10-6, so it should be a good ball game. I know nothing about Central. That is what stinks about baseball, in hoops or football the blogs are full of people talking about teams and their players. I think nyk and JAF and myself have done a pretty good job talking about the players on our teams, but thats about it.
Today BG seniors are on a boat trip to lake Winnie, then play tonight at Holman. The green and gold could finish anywhere from 3rd to 12th this week. That about sums up division one this season. What team is going to go on a roll? Your guess is as good as mine.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty Re: SENIOR NIGHT

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 am

Probably the most ironic thing about NH baseball, and parents being the majority of the fans, is its the sport that NH puts the most talent into the professional ranks from. Just can't say that about the other sports. Yet from a fandom standpoint, just doesn't get the love. I do believe that will start to change however due to the abundance of information about kids. In the past you had to read the newspapers to know a player was getting looked at by scouts/colleges, just today we read of a player hitting 88 on the gun from a pro scout in the stands. Gotta love it.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 am

SEVEN OTHER GAMES THAT HAVE PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS

Exeter 8-7 at North 13-4. Exeter can finish 11-7, 8-10, or anywhere in between. I see North running the table the rest of the regular season.

Timby 6-9 at Spaulding. 4-11. If Timby wins out 9-9 moves them up the standings. Spaulding has been in playoff mode since last week. Every game is a must win game.

Salem 12-4 at South 9-7. Who wants to play South in the playoffs, not me. I keep hearing how Salem's pitchers are all hurt, yet they keep on winning. Game of the day.

Merrimack 10-4 at Londonderry 8-8. Merrimack players might have to reintroduce themselves to each other, it has been 11 days since they have played a game. They play 4 games this week, and if they win out 14-4 would be top 2 or 3 seed. If they split 12-6 puts them with alot of teams. Lose all 4 and they are middle of the pack. I see them winning 3 out of 4. Londonderry likes the sound of 10-8 if they run the table. This will be another good game.

Memorial 5- 11 at Keene 7-9. Must win for the Crusaders, simple as that. Keene wants to move up in the standings.

Trinity 5- 11 at Concord 10- 5. Trinity see Memorial. Concord wants a top 4 seed, if they win out they get it.

Alvirne 4 - 13 at Dover. Alvirne has to win and needs help from other teams. Dover wins out they finish 12 - 6.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon May 23, 2011 8:24 pm

God, I love it when GNG has a caffeine filled day off when he's all a-flutter on the Forum.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty Fandome

Post  chicagokid43 Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Fandome for baseball will always be small because of game times. If there were more baseball games played at night I would agree. I hate that this new job keeps me late as I would love to be smelling the freshcut rain drops.. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm

So there we are out on the field and the light rain turns into steady rain. Had a half hour delay, I didn't think they would play, but they did a good job getting the field ready. Bad news was I had a coffee on the way to the game { i never drink coffee at night}, then Donna Chartrand got me a coffee. So I was flying around talking to everyone. Onto the game.
BG 8 CENTRAL 1 Pat Clapp was the man. The senior closer got the start and was lights out. One run in the first inning, and then he was on his game. Fastball had good zip, curveball was buckling knees. I believe every starter but Joe Mac had at least one hit. It's ok Big Joe has been carrying this team for awhile, tonight it was some other kids turn. Psycho had a couple of real nice plays in right field. This was a big game for Clapp, he got stretched out just in case Cody Gilcrest can't go in the playoffs. My call is Cody is ready for Wednesday. Alan McQuarrie had a big 2 out 2 run double early to get BG the lead. The ss for Central made several nice plays.

I can't remember the last time BG played a game and it wasn't crappy out, been at least 2 weeks.

T@F, I think I am going to bed at TWELVE and waking up at SIX.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am

Last night was very bittersweet for a number of reasons... As Coach Johnson mentioned before the game - for the Seniors this is a special season especially considering what they suffered through the last couple of years. Lots of great memories already made this year and truly this is a special and unique group of kids. I know GNG is sticking by his prediction, but it's not like he did a Tim Thomas guarantee on that number. We all thought before the season we should have a winning record. We all hoped to get 10 wins, but to be where we are is unbelievable.

Usually I'd expect GNG to have already run the numbers.... Consider this at 49 points, BG sits in 5th right now with 5 points at stake Wed in Exeter. Concord and Merrimack are 3rd/4th with 44 points each. They each have 2H and 1A game. If both go 2-1 in their remaining 3 and BG wins, then all three would be 12-6 but if I've done my math correctly BG would get the #3 seed based entirely on the points system against two teams that both beat BG. Both Concord and Merri could get at most 9 points if they went 2-1 which would leave both at 53, while BG could have 54. Did I ever say how much I dislike this points system? Earlier this year, Concord had a big lead on Merrimack only to lose late.

On the other end of the spectrum - Alvirne started a Freshman who went 6 strong innings yesterday and beat Dover 2-1. They have Keene on Wed - they could win that and make the playoffs. Something I wasn't sure was possible. If Memorial loses their final 2, they won't have enough points for 16th place. Let's hope the weather plays nice and we can sit back and watch the baseball!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 am

JAF, I was being selfish, running my kid's numbers first, but it definitely ties into senior night I remember how you said at the begining of the season how these seniors had not seen varsity pitching {detering, don't get me started}. I dismissed it, knowing what a good hitter my son had been at every level.You were right, and I was right. Check these splits out.

1st eight games of the season, 1 hit in 17 at bats for a.050 average. Throw in 8 strikeouts and zero walks and my kid was lucky to have a job. Granted he had hit some good ropes right at people, but bottomline is 0-3 is 0-3 in the boxscore.

THE PAINTER DIFFERENCE

Last nine games of the season, 9 hits in 15 at bats for a .600 average. One strikeout,3 walks, 3 hit by pitches. That makes for a pretty good on base percentage. My son couldn't go to right field his whole life, dead pull hitter. Painter worked with him all season, he has at least 3 hits to the right center including last nights double. My call is he will be coaching college within 3 years. He is that good.

Even TOJO mentioned how much these seniors have endured last night. Kyle was backup to a firstbaseman who Detering didn't let hit{yes our old coach used a designated hitter for the 1st baseman}. Even after I type it I still can't believe it. My boy is batting .312 on the season with one game left. I wonder what his average would have been if given a chance last season. I wonder what his average would have been if Painter had been coach last season.

Painter doesn't get division one coach of the year I will be shocked.

NOTABLY ABSENT FROM THE SENIOR NIGHT FESTIVITIES---BROTHER MARC

Last edited by GNG on Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 am

JAF and I had an interesting talk with TOJO. He says that the games out of state don't count in standings in division 1. He also said the out of division games don't count in the standings. I believe he was mistaken. Wouldn't it be great if we actually knew the rules. He was sure of himself, so it will be interesting when the OFFICIAL nhiaa standings get posted when the season ends.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 am

GNG wrote:JAF and I had an interesting talk with TOJO. He says that the games out of state don't count in standings in division 1. He also said the out of division games don't count in the standings. I believe he was mistaken. Wouldn't it be great if we actually knew the rules. He was sure of himself, so it will be interesting when the OFFICIAL nhiaa standings get posted when the season ends.

The Senior Night recognition ceremony you guys had was nice. Great sendoff for the kids.

I have a feeling those out-of-state games do count but I don't think it matters for North and Salem since they both picked up 0 points against Andover. What is weird though is that North with a win against West will wind up with 68 points and Salem with two more wins winds up with 69 given the Blue Devils the #1 seed. They are of course a good team, but the head-to-head result in which North won doesn't count for anything. It's all the more confusing when you consider that both teams could end up 15-4.

C'est la vie.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty MMHS Still alive after Senior Day

Post  bb603 Tue May 24, 2011 10:02 pm

The Memorial Senior Day game started with beautiful 82 degree weather and MMHS got out to a 3 - 0 lead over Winnacunnett after 3 innings.

Sullivan was pitching a very efficient game with only 48 pitches after 4 2/3. Then came the lightning and then the torrential rain. After an hour delay the game resumed and MMHS was still up 3 -0 in the sixth when a walk and the first Winnacunnett hit of the game scored a run. With the game still at 3 -1 with one out in the seventh the second delay (lighting only this time) started. This one only lasted 30 minutes. After the second delay Sullivan allowed a walk and 2 hits around an out which tied the game (not sure they should have brought him back after the second delay, nothing against him, but tough for any pitcher to come back after 2 rain delays) . Brandon Stevens came in and got the 3rd out on a grounder to first.

The MMHS 7th started with an out on a bunt attempt. After Jacob Boylan got a single, the next batter hit a deep out to right. Zach Beckwith then singled moving a runner to third. Now the reliever Stevens is set to bat. The coach reenters Sullivan, with the count 2-2 he singles up the middle to bring in Boylan from 3rd and end Senior Day on a high note.

It was nice to watch a cleanly played defensive game. MMHS played well today. They travel to Keene on Thursday to play the game that was postponed from Monday.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue May 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice to see the Crusaders building some Big Mo before they enter the tournament. I'd love to see them knock off one of the top seeds in their prelim game.

Beware the Crusader !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue May 24, 2011 10:36 pm

I better get to bed soon to get my 8 hours of ZZZZZsssss, because If I go to bed by........

11 then I get up at 7

Wonder if the Hawks will be pitching their ace vs the Cardinals in the Bird Game on the C-Coast?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 pm

GNG wrote:JAF and I had an interesting talk with TOJO. He says that the games out of state don't count in standings in division 1. He also said the out of division games don't count in the standings. I believe he was mistaken. Wouldn't it be great if we actually knew the rules. He was sure of himself, so it will be interesting when the OFFICIAL nhiaa standings get posted when the season ends.

He had better projecting an air of confidence. If he does not know, that is not a good sign. As the AD it is indeed his job to know this. What any of us think we understand is not relevant, but he had better know all this so he can keep his coaches fully informed and they can make appropriate decisions such as keeping top pitchers out of game that do not count.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Congrats bb603, sounds like an exciting game. I believe with the Crusader victory Guertin gets to host a home playoff game. For a 15 or 16 th seed Memorial is going to be the team that nobody wants to play in that 1st round.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 pm

BG only plays division 1 teams in baseball.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty Senior Night?

Post  fivehole Wed May 25, 2011 1:51 am

Here is question for the group. Wednesday night (today) last game of regular season, and home. Some of the players, (they eat dinner at my house after game Tues, I over heard the conversation), were talking about Senior night. They were asking the captain if all the seniors were going to start the game. Then the dicussion began, do you start them all, or start the best nine players? This game could move the team six positions in the standings. They win seed 11, lose seed 16. Those seeds are based on projections of games. We have six seniors, only three are starters. What should the coaches do? I haven't spoken to coach or another parent about this, but I'm guessing some parent is going to be upset if there senior doesn't start the game. Your thoughts?

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Wed May 25, 2011 7:34 am

GNG wrote:BG only plays division 1 teams in baseball.

No offense but the schedules are what they are. They are all approved by the AD's, who have the right to say "no". Though I do concede that the teams that play teams that are not even close to competition of D1 should really take a long look in the mirror. For example, North/Salem plays Andover- a quality opponent. Londonderry plays Goffstown, a school that missed the cut off from D1 by something like 16 students and a top 3 D 2 team- a quality opponent. Keene plays Brattleboro, VT, not a quality opponent. Alvirne played Windham, a very young D2 opponent and not good- yet. The point being it goes both ways. Would it be great if the NHIAA were consistent and made it so each team in D1 could only play other D1 teams (and all of them), absolutely but that, for some reason, hasn't happened.
One could take it to mean you believe BG is better than teams like North and Salem (the top two teams) because they don't only play D1 teams. Is this your meaning? These type of comments regarding other teams schedules that were already approved by both the AD's and the NHIAA just aren't necessary. We can complain all we want, but they have to play the games that are on the schedule.
And depending on how badly the team needs the game it is more important to go with your best 9 and make sure all the seniors get in the game somehow IMO.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed May 25, 2011 7:46 am

nhball9, nope,not what I was trying to convey. My issue is 4 teams playing 19 games and the rest playing 18 games. TOJO assures me those out of state and out of division games don't count, and when the brackets come out we will see that.{I think he is wrong, I believe those games count}.

Yesterdays results, partial

Merrimack beat Keene- Hudon left game in 2nd inning with sore shoulder.

Trinity beat Concord- huge win for the Pioneers. Guertin wins today top 4 seed

Senior night. I go with my best 9. The Guertin coach did manage to get all the seniors in the game, and win it.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 am

nhball9 - read the wrong way one could infer all the AD's approve the schedules for all the teams - just as much as you misinterpreted GNG's post.

Playing your 18 *in division* D1 games and then extra game(s) against out of division competition is fine by me. The problem I have with Keene & Dover is they won't play each other. They replace their matchup with a more local matchup against a lesser division team and then Keene adds another against a weaker VT team. Sometimes these moves backfire, but generally the D1 team wins (I think Keene lost a game like this a few years ago and it cost them a few spots in the standings). Alvirne playing Windham or Campbell for that matter isn't such a big deal to me. Sure they're lower division, but there's other reasons for playing such as the Father/Son thing w/ Alvirne/Windham or the Post48 thing w/ Alvirne/Campbell. Seeing North and Salem playing a solid team from Andover, MA - that's a good thing if only for exposure to better competition. Having an out of state game "count" in the standings - not sure if that's the right thing to do, but it is what it is. I don't think it should be part of any positional tiebreaker to make playoffs though.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed May 25, 2011 8:30 am

What is funny about this argument is that the exact same thing happened in basketball this past season. Our basketball bloggers went back and forth about some teams getting extra points by (un)intentionally scheduling weaker opponents while other teams had stronger schedules. Even though the sports are different there is one under lying theme in both sport scheduling arguments:

NHIAA

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for the clarification. It is just a pet peeve of mine as this topic seems to come up every year. I am in line with JAF in terms of my opinion. As long as you play all 18 other opponents, and you have the right to schedule up to 2 more games, then that is on the coach/AD (whoever makes that call). It is within the rules to have up to 20 games.
I dont' know how hard it would be to set up another game, but if it isn't why not play as many games as possible? The Dover/Keene thing is just stupid. Isn't Spaulding farther away than Dover?

No disrespect to your AD, but all regular season games count. It is in the NHIAA rules and procedures.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 am

I posted in the bleachers section this morning yet another NHIAA fiasco involving a double forfeit in girl’s tennis that caused a major change in the seedings for their championship.

People here in NH NEED to checkout how Mane has handled the entire issue of teams playing odd schedules, teams not in the same division, and keeping the standing up to date and official. The heal system as ME has implemented it is the BEST solution for the issues NH schools face in scheduling teams above & below their division. Maine has more teams to deal with and they manage to keep on top of it all. Economics is always going to cause schools to try to schedule as many local games as they can as opposed to traveling on long bus rides. The heal system will account for a team who decides to play 3 or 4 games locally against inferior teams. It will also reward you for playing up (if you are not already in the top division).

Here is the link to the ME heal standings – Very professional looking pages with to date data!

http://www.schtools.net/membersnew/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=hpstdg&newsport=1&Org=MPA

Please go there and take a look how a state organization with people who really care can provide a great solution to this issue.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

SENIOR NIGHT Empty Schedules

Post  fivehole Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 am

I don't know how it is at your schools, but at ours the AD makes the schedule and never asks the coach for his input. He gets what he gets. Our AD attended a lower division school than ours and always schedules a home and away with them, we ten run them every time. Also I know that all games count in state or out of state. There is an advantage for lower division teams playing upper division teams, they get more points if they win. Lower division team get 6 points for away win and 5 points for home win.

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 am

That doesn't apply to division 1. 5 points and 4 points. It's going to be interesting to see who is right and who is wrong about if the out of state, and out of division count in the final standings in division 1. Where in the rulebook does it clarify it? I can't find it anywhere.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next