@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

North beats BG 6-2

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: North beats BG 6-2

Post  JAF on Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 am

It looks like 8 losses will get you a first round home game and 5 or even 6 losses could get you a second round home game - that's crazy... Even if you have a home game it doesn't mean anything. I think we'll even see a lot of top tier seeds starting #1 in the first round. Usually you can get away with #2 or even #3, but not this year. Survive the first round and then hope your #2 can get you to the semis.

Based on results "posted" here's what's left - no one really has it easy. I think Exeter will have a very tough time - 6 games in 7 days will not be easy on the pitching staff. Even the bottom teams could sneak into that first round. Spaulding may have mostly JV's playing, but they're "in" every game and cannot be overlooked. Alvirne has some good hitters and if you choose to try and go with a lesser pitcher against them, it could be a bad decision.

North has 3 left - Andover, Exeter, West
Salem has 4 left - Dover, Winni, South, Lond
Merri has 4 left - Winn, Lond, Keene, Spauld
BG has 2 left - Cent & Exet
Conc has 4 left - West, Trin, Exet, Timb
Cent has 3 left - Alv, BG, Dover
Winni has 3 left - Merri, Salem, Memor
Exet has 6 left - Dover, PA, Spaul, North, BG, Conc
South has 2 left - Timb & Salem
Dover has 5 left - Exet, Memor, Alv, Salem, Cent
PA has 3 left - Exet, West, Trin
Lond has 4 left - Trin, Merri, Salem, Goffs

Everyone else has 9 or more losses and probably will be on the road. Fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy ride.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 am

JAF wrote:
North has 3 left - Andover, Exeter, West
Salem has 4 left - Dover, Winni, South, Lond
Merri has 4 left - Winn, Lond, Keene, Spauld
BG has 2 left - Cent & Exet
Conc has 4 left - West, Trin, Exet, Timb
Cent has 3 left - Alv, BG, Dover
Winni has 3 left - Merri, Salem, Memor
Exet has 6 left - Dover, PA, Spaul, North, BG, Conc
South has 2 left - Timb & Salem
Dover has 5 left - Exet, Memor, Alv, Salem, Cent
PA has 3 left - Exet, West, Trin
Lond has 4 left - Trin, Merri, Salem, Goffs

Everyone else has 9 or more losses and probably will be on the road. Fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Based on these match-ups, no one has it easy. All of these teams will be in the playoffs, may be some minor reshuffling of the seeds. Whoever ends up with the #1 or #2 seed will have their hands full with Memorial and Tim Sullivan.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 10:31 am

BG prom tonight. My son plays first base. He was one of the five errors{his first all year}, when Alan threw him that ball on the bunt he should have jumped for it. He thought he could catch it without coming off the bag {he knows better}. He is going Johnson and Wales in Providence. He is going to major in Security Management,{computer hackers, internet fraud,etc..}.
Not sure yet about if he is going to play any sports yet. Their hoop team is pretty good, I'm not sure they have room for a 5' 10" defensive minded guard. Migs said he was going to talk to their coach, we will see. We met the baseball coach on tour he seemed like a real nice guy. I would say he was a definite maybe to play something. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on their vollyball team

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 am

GNG wrote: BG prom tonight. My son plays first base. He was one of the five errors{his first all year}, when Alan threw him that ball on the bunt he should have jumped for it. He thought he could catch it without coming off the bag {he knows better}. He is going Johnson and Wales in Providence. He is going to major in Security Management,{computer hackers, internet fraud,etc..}.
Not sure yet about if he is going to play any sports yet. Their hoop team is pretty good, I'm not sure they have room for a 5' 10" defensive minded guard. Migs said he was going to talk to their coach, we will see. We met the baseball coach on tour he seemed like a real nice guy. I would say he was a definite maybe to play something. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up on their vollyball team

He plays football too, right? The errors happen and at the high school level it can be part of the game. Good luck to your son at J&W. I think David Webster from Alvirne is headed there too to play baseball.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for the headsup with the kid from Alvirne. Our very own T@F has his son over there as well my older son Reid. They don't have a football team at JW, he thought about some other d3 schools for football, but couldn't find right fit. He wants to be in the city, and Providence isn't to bad of a college town.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Points system was change 10-28-2010

Post  bb603 on Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

The original point system awarded 4 points for an away win for a D1 team vs a D2 team and 3 points for a home win.

NHIAA shows it was changed on 10-28-2010 to award 5 points for an away win for a D1 team vs a D2 team and 4 points for a home win.

The points only change if a D1 team plays a D3 or lower team.

But, how are points for games with out of state teams determined?

Keene played Brattleboro and North and Salem have Andover.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri May 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Wow - missed that change. Guess I was going by the assumption that they would be able to keep to the same system all year - silly me Embarassed

So they changed the point system in the middle of the football season... Interesting - I wonder if that had anything to do with the feedback they got over forced matchups between D1 and D3 schools this year in football (Portsmouth v. South and Central v. Souhegan come to mind quickly). Of course it all became moot when they decided to scrap the point system for football altogether. I think there was a D4 team that may have been affected, but that was too long ago.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Fri May 20, 2011 2:27 pm

JAF wrote:
Wow - missed that change. Guess I was going by the assumption that they would be able to keep to the same system all year - silly me Embarassed

So they changed the point system in the middle of the football season... Interesting - I wonder if that had anything to do with the feedback they got over forced matchups between D1 and D3 schools this year in football (Portsmouth v. South and Central v. Souhegan come to mind quickly). Of course it all became moot when they decided to scrap the point system for football altogether. I think there was a D4 team that may have been affected, but that was too long ago.

They did scrap it for D1 football (I don't know about the other divisions) since the schedule was balanced in that everyone played everyone else once. The out of division games were tantamount to a scrimmage because they didn't count in the standings, in fact they haven't counted in a couple of years.

Because the games didn't count, and because D1 had 8 teams, it meant that some teams were going to have more away games and score more points. I'm glad the scrapped it and used the standings and head-to-head play to determine the play-off seedings.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri May 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Remi jr. could find his way on the JWU basketball roster, if things work out with numbers, fit etc. Matt Couture, who was a productive point/shooting guard at Memorial 2 years ago tried out for the Roger Williams b-ball team this past season and made it as a freshman. He received very good playing time the first third of the season and then had reduced minutes in the 2nd half. Roger Williams plays in the same conference as JWU.

Thank God they have RIPTA for the JWU students, which is a free bus system in RI. I can see one of the bus drivers looking at Remi Jr and saying:

"Your usual ride down to Salve Regina, Kyle?"

I presume the lad will be wearing down a beaten path to see Goody at Salve Regina. After all, SR is like 80% girls so Remi Jr will have to help Goody balance out the gender gap at the College by the Mansions.

Here I thought I was going to experience GNG withdrawal and now with GNG's sons going to JWU with my son GNG will be like a piece of gum on the sole of my shoe Razz

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 9:13 pm

We are like that rash you can't rid of, no matter what you put on it.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat May 21, 2011 9:02 am

Tom King wrote a nice article today about the Titans :

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sportshighschoolsports/920200-221/pitching-d-are-titans-bread-and-butter.html

Could be an interesting discussion point - especially the part about emphasis on defense by Henderson. Being part of youth baseball for a while in my recent years - I can certainly understand where he's coming from. Way too much emphasis on hitting and putting a pitcher on the mound that either blazes by the batters or throws enough curveballs to get more strikeouts than grounders/flyballs. Then those same coaches get upset when horrors a batter actually hits a ball at a poor fielder who has no clue what to do with the ball and then gets yelled at for a physical or mental error. Most successful teams my kids have been on hone their defensive skills in practice and/or have a coach that talks to the team when they come in between innings about those mental aspects.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum