@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

North beats BG 6-2

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

North beats BG 6-2

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 7:01 am

That is what it says in the NHIAA standings this morning. Just goes to show you don't believe everything you read. The coach who put in the Pinkerton - North score {Pinky won 6 - 2} must have made a mistake when entering the scores.

NYK, doesn't it stink to play games in those conditions? I hope they cancel tonight's game until Saturday or Sunday . I realize North already has a game Saturday. Here is my question nyk, would you rather play 1 game in these conditions, or play a double header on a nice day? The downside to the double header for North would be playing 2 different teams, so they would be the only team playing 2 games.

Don't tell me weather doesn't affect your mood. I have been down in the dumps, gloomy gus, pissed off since Sunday. I need to see blue skies again, and soon.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Re: North beats BG 6-2

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 am

They just fixed it.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 am

GNG wrote:They just fixed it.

The weather really has been pretty bad. It did affect an error my son made last night as the ball slipped out of his hand on a throwover to first. Other than that, I'm not sure how much the weather affected our game. Our starting pitcher, Matt Lipkind, did a nice job in 5 innings of work giving up 2 runs and inducing a lot of ground balls.

What hurt us was only 3 or 4 hits and a costly base running error with our #3 batter at the plate.

Pinkerton struck first for 2 runs in the 2nd inning on a single, triple, and squeeze play. North threatened with runners in scoring position in the bottom half of the inning, but that was all as the base runners were stranded.

In the 4th, with a runner on 2nd, pinch hitter Shannon Martin (who regularly makes good contact), drove in the first run of the game. Our 2nd run came on bases loaded walk. What hurt after that was a base running error with the #3 batter up.

Pinkerton then plated 4 runs in the 6th, two earned, two unearned and that would prove to be enough as they held on to win 6-2. The Pinkerton pitcher, a lefty, went the distance. In fairness to our hitters, we had several balls hit well, but right at fielders. This has been our luck the last two games.

Today will be another lousy night for baseball. Our game yesterday was moved up to 4 p.m. and played at North instead of Holman. If we do play today, I wonder if they'll move the game to BG.

The North-BG matchup will be a good one. I believe Turner is going for us, I'm guessing Ferlan for BG (given that Gilchrist & McCarthy have pitched this week already).

I hope the weather is not a factor in today's matchup.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 am

GNG wrote: That is what it says in the NHIAA standings this morning. Just goes to show you don't believe everything you read. The coach who put in the Pinkerton - North score {Pinky won 6 - 2} must have made a mistake when entering the scores.

NYK, doesn't it stink to play games in those conditions? I hope they cancel tonight's game until Saturday or Sunday . I realize North already has a game Saturday. Here is my question nyk, would you rather play 1 game in these conditions, or play a double header on a nice day? The downside to the double header for North would be playing 2 different teams, so they would be the only team playing 2 games.

Don't tell me weather doesn't affect your mood. I have been down in the dumps, gloomy gus, pissed off since Sunday. I need to see blue skies again, and soon.

I would rather play this game on a nice day since it's meaningful to the overall standings for both teams, probably isn't going to happen though.

Yes the weather can be mood-altering, but at least the kids are still playing baseball and there is no snow on the ground!

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 am

Unless my umpiring gig gets canceled (likely considering the weather and every other game this week was canceled), personally I'd prefer the night game if it's going to be played today! That way I can see my son pitch. The schedule has both JV & Varsity at Holman today - that field has got to be in better condition that the BG field. There's already a couple of teams playing on Saturday (Lond/Trin & Exet/Spauld), but that's the day after prom for both BG & North. I'd be OK if they moved the game to Sunday evening...

Never happy about playing games in wet conditions - too much risk for injury and it's miserable for the spectators. The kids don't care - they just like to play. I wonder what it's like to play HS baseball in Seattle? or worse Anchorage! I understand the desire to "get the games in"; however, the NHIAA has a built-in fall back because the championships won't be played until 6/18 - a FULL WEEK after the semifinals. So make the adjustment now and think safety first. Strange how the regular season is 3 games a week, but playoffs are 2 games the first week, 1 game the second, and 1 the third. I don't understand why things have to switch up so much for playoffs. With the rules in place you cannot pitch more than a certain number of innings anyway so it's not like you're doing the layoff because of the innings/game rest requirement.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 am

The good news is 2 pitchers who throw strikes so it won't be a 3 hour game. Both teams need to tighten up their infield defenses for this game, especially BG because Ferlan pitches to contact whereas Turner is more of a power pitcher.

I would much rather watch these 2 teams play on a dry field, on a beautiful night. Cest la vie.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm

GNG wrote: The good news is 2 pitchers who throw strikes so it won't be a 3 hour game. Both teams need to tighten up their infield defenses for this game, especially BG because Ferlan pitches to contact whereas Turner is more of a power pitcher.

I would much rather watch these 2 teams play on a dry field, on a beautiful night. Cest la vie.

So would I, unfortunately, I don't think the NHIAA will accommodate us, no more than them accommodating our proposed playoff formats!

The weather will affect this game on another dimension too, the ball will be heavier so the pitchers' velocities and break stuff won't be the same. Also, any hard hit balls likely won't carry as far, which probably translates to more fly ball outs in cavernous Holman Stadium.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

game moved to north 4 pm

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 2:52 pm

My son just texted, of course his stuff is at home. I have 3 cars and they are all gone. Not a fan of the switching of the game time an location at the last minute. Not a fan at all.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Thu May 19, 2011 3:07 pm

GNG wrote: My son just texted, of course his stuff is at home. I have 3 cars and they are all gone. Not a fan of the switching of the game time an location at the last minute. Not a fan at all.

GNG is right. Game is now at North. The brightside is that the North Varsity field isn't bad. The downside: overthrows can lead to extra runs scoring, just ask my son!

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu May 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Not happy about the changes, but I guess we have to roll with the punches. I get to take my frustration out on the PA & South Freshman :-) Whaddya mean that was a strike blue - what do you have a date or something? Ever seen a Freshman game get done in 30 minutes... Very Happy

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm

OK , got my kid off to the game with his stuff, now I can VENT.

When I woke up this morning Guertin was playing a home game at 7pm against North at Holman. I thought home field advantage would be minimal because North also plays their games at Holman.
Now BG is playing North at North High School, and BG is considered the home team. confused confused Confused yet, BG is playing an away game as the home team. Only in NH baseball. So if BG manages a win they will receive 4 points because they are the home team{even though they are playing on the road}. This is yet another reason why I am not a fan of the 5 points road win, 4 points home win system.

OK I feel better now, not like T@F the sunshine kid, but a little better. affraid

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu May 19, 2011 8:23 pm

I like being called "The Sunshine Kid."

I think it might stick, like peanut butter to the roof of my mouth. sunny sunny sunny sunny

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 pm

North 4 BG 0

Turner as good as advertised. He struck out at least 10. One bad innining did in BG

The second inning North scored 3 runs on 1 hit. I counted 5 errors on the infield in that inning, and it was 5 different people. Those poor kids couldn't catch a cold that inning, never mind a baseball. Easily the worst inning of the year{nyk now I know how you felt against Concord}. The only error that could be attributed to the wet field is when Tim Lunn slipped on his butt when fielding a bunt,it was pretty funny and he still managed a throw.
North played solid in the field, nyk's son made a few nice plays in the hole. The WOWSER MCBOWSER play of the game was when this kid from North hit a bomb to dead center,Garret Kelly turns and runs and retrieves the ball, there were no fence so I don't know how far he was when he threw it to third but I am sure nyk will agree he was in deeeep left center field. He one hops it to third, if Timmy Lunn catches it the kid is out. The ball skips by him and Ferlan is backing up but he is out of bounds, so the kid gets home. It was kind of justice cuz there is no ballpark in NH that holds that hit.
BG was playing without SS Cody Gilcrest for a second straight game. Resting his back as a precaution.
Ferlan also pitched really well.
nyk that was my first time seeing your coach so animated. I felt bad for that luis kid who made a baserunning blunder. Wow he really lit up that kid.
I have seen him ref BG hoop games before, he is not a bad ref.

Need to win 2 next week to make it to 12.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 pm

South beat Merrimack 10 -7 . South is playing some good ball. I feel there are going to be alot of teams sliding up and sliding down the standings in the next week. So many games so few days to play them.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  NH Yankee Fan on Thu May 19, 2011 10:29 pm

GNG who played short for Cody Gilcrest tonight? Do you know if there were a lot of substitutions going on throughout the game?

NH Yankee Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser96 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:40 am

Jr. Dennis Abelleira.
Pretty stable lineup until bottom of 7th.

Mauser96
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  NH Yankee Fan on Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks - heard he had called up several JV players and wondered if he played around with the lineup hoping to spark something.

NH Yankee Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 am

Saw some scores on on the bottomline this morning on WMUR. Saw BG beat North 11-0 and was shocked. Then I realized it was Tennis. Being up at 4:30 (after going to bed late after Bruins game) with a baby apparently has an adverse affect on brain function.

Sounds like these cross-town rivals could be an interesting matchup should they meet in the playoffs.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri May 20, 2011 8:26 am

My guess it was or would have been situational stuff for the call-ups.... I only got there in the B7, but saw CJ Boykin and Paul Lipari in the mix after the game... CJ was probably there for speed and Paul for hitting. If there were more I didn't see them, but I also wasn't looking for them. Both have been on the varsity bench before - I doubt there's much more than that to it.

According to the Telegraph both pitchers had a complete game 5 hitter - the difference being 4 unearned runs. Hate to see the errors, but I know they affect both teams at different points of the season. My son was at least pleased with how he did and wasn't grumpy that long even though the team lost. The pitching depth will be tested on Monday - I hear Pat Clapp will get the start and they'll go from there. Cody is being skipped due to his Beckett like soreness/tightness. Rather have him there for playoffs anyway. It's Senior Day and a Senior is starting which is how it should be.

Should be an interesting and wild finish to the D1 baseball season because the top 10 seeds are still very much so in limbo. The difference between placement could very well be road wins and those non divisional contests. It's not total points that matters - it's the rating. The value on the NHIAA website is not be correct since it doesn't take into account out of division point differential. The Alvirne, Keene, Dover, and possibly Londonderry wins against D2 teams will/should count for one less point in the standings. If North loses to Andover like Salem did that could hurt them in the end because of the extra game that gets divided to generate the rating.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 8:31 am

I think your wrong JAF. In hoops it was the same situation. They counted the wins as 4 points for home and 5 for the road. I remember because Keene did the same thing playing Con Val and didn't get less points.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am

Who knows for sure - the NHIAA website says it's not the official standings. I guess we'll "see" if there's any differences once the official playoff brackets are posted after the season.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 am

I said earlier in the season there could be 10 teams within 1 game of .500, and there very well could be. There is so much parity in the division. It's comparable to the nfl. bball9 asked for darkhorses yesterday, and the more I think about it you could make a case for at least 10 teams on why they could win it. I could also make a pretty strong case on why those same teams won't win it. At the very least it should be a crazy last week to see how it all shakes out.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am

I thought both pitchers did a very good job, and they showed their effectiveness in different ways. Turner really is as good as people have heard. He throws hard, has a nasty slider and curve. It's not uncommon for him to rack up 7+ Ks a game. I think Turner has two losses this year, but in both cases it happened when the defense made mistakes. If our defense plays well, like they did yesterday, and Turner's on the mound we have a good chance.

Christian does a very good job keeping the ball down in the zone and appears to hit his spots. He seems to get a lot of near misses, I'm guessing he's got some late movement on his pitches as we hit a lot of ground balls. He's also capable of sending some gas your way when he needs it.

I don't remember which inning North scored 3 runs, but it was, as GNG remarked earlier, the result of a few errors. Take away that one bad inning, and it's a very close game.. Kelvin Rodriguez hit a moonshoot over Garrett Kelly's head and Garrett just about nailed him at 3rd. I think even had Christian not been out of play backing up the base, North would have gotten Kelvin home on a suicide. Henderson and Painter are similar that way in that they'll manufacture runs when needed.

Painter did intentionally walk Joe Breen twice, which paid off yesterday, but in general, having Leith up with the bases loaded is a good thing for us.

Regardless of who won or lost, both teams will end up with at least one home playoff game.

South beating Merrimack yesterday should be a wake-up call to the Division in that it shows that South is a good ball club and can go deep into the bracket.

I'm repeating myself, but I still don't see a clear cut favorite and the D1 Championship really is up for grabs. It will come down to consistent pitching and defense.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 am

nyk, what time is your game Saturday? I want to go. Is North's prom tonight? BG''s is. Usually with one week left you can kind of figure out who is going to finish where to see who will play who in the first round. Not this year.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Fri May 20, 2011 10:01 am

GNG wrote:nyk, what time is your game Saturday? I want to go. Is North's prom tonight? BG''s is.

Hi GNG,

Our game is at 1, at Holman. North's Junior Prom is tonight and it's held at the high school. Is tonight BG's senior prom? By the way, what number is your son and where did he play in the field. Just trying to attach some names to the jerseys. I know some of the kids, but not all of them.

Is your son pursuing an athletic career this fall in college?

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum