@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Need two out of the next three to make my prediction come true

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need two out of the next three to make my prediction come true

Post  GNG on Tue May 17, 2011 7:07 pm

BG edged out Pinkerton 4-3 on a craptacular day. First time I don't go to a game since I can't remember when.I love my boy but 2 days of standing in the rain is one day to many for me. I have no details of the game except my kid slipped on the wet field and needed to get his achilles taped { better not be season ending or I will be mucho pissed off}. Let's play some more games on rain soaked fields to see how many more injuries we can cause. 10-5 with 3 to go.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Re: Need two out of the next three to make my prediction come true

Post  JAF on Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Christian says Joe went 7 innings had 2 unearned against him. I missed it because I was supposed to have a 6PM game - got the rainout call at 515 on my way to the game... While I agree with GNG about "not" playing in those conditions - the alternative is make-up games that are increasingly difficult to schedule given existing schedules, conflicts (proms), and "end" of the season. So for that reason, I'm happy we played. There's going to be a lot of teams needing to cram 5 games into the next week (or so). I think the last game must take place by next Fri. although I'm not sure - it's buried in some procedures manual.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Kyle reported that ther were at least 8 errors. Grass was soaked, balls were soaked. He hurt his foot crossing home plate, he thought he blew out his knee, he will be fine.

Kudos to Coach Painter and Coach Sheedy on Guertin's first winning season in awhile. Even if they lose their next 3 games they will finish 10 - 8.

Any Salem forum members out there? I heard a rumor that the injury bug had bitten quite a few of the Blue Devils pitching staff.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 17, 2011 8:54 pm

JAF, your right. There are some teams with 6 games left. Exeter, and North. I am assuming North didn't play today. Merrimack and Salem still have 5 left to play. We need to find what the official last day of the season is.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  FullCount on Tue May 17, 2011 8:56 pm

GNG - I'd like to see BG take the last 3 and sacrifice your prediction.....

FullCount
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 17, 2011 9:05 pm

As would I my friend, as would I. They are going to have to play a perfect game if they want to beat North. NYK isn't it ironic that if the weather keeps being bad, that Thursday might be North's 1st game in 6 days, after playing 5 in 5 days. Feast or famine trying to get the games in.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I am so hoping BG finishes 10 - 8, 11 - 7 or 13 - 5, but not

AND I REPEAT, BUT NOT

12 - 6
Twelve and Six
Six losses and Twelve wins
12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 and 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Gotta go T@f. I am watching 2 movies THE DIRTY DOZEN, and SIX degrees of seperation. Laughing Laughing

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk on Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm

GNG wrote:As would I my friend, as would I. They are going to have to play a perfect game if they want to beat North. NYK isn't it ironic that if the weather keeps being bad, that Thursday might be North's 1st game in 6 days, after playing 5 in 5 days. Feast or famine trying to get the games in.

Tell me about it! We had a drought of games two weeks ago, then a flood last week, this week who knows. We were rained out yesterday, but did get our game in today against Central. I'll start a new topic with that game report.

See you guys Thursday (weather permitting).

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Good choice of movies, GNG, but I'll be watching:

Apollo 13 and Saw 5

Tomorrow I'll watch Ocean's 11 and Seven (Still one of the most disturbing endings in movie history)

This weekend I'll watch 10 (Bo Derek still rates) and 8 Mile

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 pm

What are you guys going to do when BG loses their 13 seniors after this year?? I've been to a couple BG games and haven't walked away "wowed" by either of them. They play sound, but the don't stand out in any one area of the game (from what I have seen- granted that is only 2 games). That being said, congrats on turning the program around to Coach Painter. It can only help to have another quality Nashua-based school do well- now if only Manchester could turn things around!

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 pm

"I've been to a couple BG games and haven't walked away "wowed" by either of them."
nhball9

Well, I guess BG is in the majority because there are a lot of teams in D1 baseball that I'm not "wowed" by either. The D1 baseball crown is TOTALLY up for grabs. A lot of teams could win the Ship because there are not too many "wow" teams.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Tues and Fri- totally agree...

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed May 18, 2011 4:40 am

Joe McCarthy junior bats 5th, leads the team in hits,rbis,home runs. Will be amongst the best pitchers in NH next year. St Anselms was looking at him this week.
Alan McQuarrie junior catcher. In my opinion will be talked about like the Salem catcher is talked about this year.
Nate Chartrand junior 2nd baseman, bats cleanup this year, big bat.
Dennis Abelleria junior shortstop, bats 2nd when Gilcrest pitches. Kid hits for average and an excellent bunter.
Nolan Cornell junior catcher,will probably play 3rd next year. Switch hitter who has gotten some good at bats this year. He will bat 5th next season is my call. He also pitches
Paul Liparie, junior of. My breakout candidate for next year, power plus. He also pitches.
Jeff Lund,soph, 6ft 4 in and growing. Power pitcher, real good bat.Will play first next year
Fabulous freshmen - The younger McQuarrie, and CJ Boykins. You will be in for a treat watching these two play.

nhball9 I hope this helps with your question. I think they will be better next year. These are just the kids I know off the top of my head, not counting what is coming up from jv. Guertin has athletes everywhere in that school and this coach knows how to use them. They will be a top 4 team for years to come with this coaching staff.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 am

Very generous evaluations of these players. If they are this good then Portsmouth should watch out over the next few years, the streak should be in jeopardy!
Relax. It is possible for people to have different opinions and be just as correct. Just making an observation, again, about the BG love-fest that tends to pop up in this forum. At the very least the team seems to be a bunch of good kids.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 am

People didn't give BG much of a shot this year at the beginning of the year... Think about this - the previous coach couldn't win with a group of players that he coached for 4 years with the "last" 2 years as the same varsity team (12 wins in 2 years). This year's varsity has 2 returning pitcher/starters and a couple of role players from those teams, but yet they're 10-5. Other than Carbs and Gilchrist, none of the current players saw Varsity pitching last year.

As someone pointed out to me prior to the season - this is a down year, especially hitting wise in D1. Not that players cannot hit, but there aren't too many that stand out as great hitters. That means you need some solid pitching and must be able to make the plays defensively. For this year, I think BG is positioned well. Do they knock your socks off - nope, but they've been getting the job done.

As for the future - I think they'll be fine. Beyond the two that GNG pointed out as pitchers (McCarthy and Lunn), they also have Matt Morais and are being coached in a system put together by Painter/Sheedy which has the JVs and Varsity together learning things the same way. Consistency and respect for the coaches is the key. I am optimistic for the future. BG will never reach Portsmouth's streak, but that's also not the goal of the program.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 18, 2011 8:42 am

nhball9, to tell you the truth, if it wasn't for the early BG baseball lovefest on this Forum the NH HS baseball talk would've been silent and filled with dust and cobwebs. I give a lot of credit to GNG for jump starting conversation for HS baseball with his initial posts at the start of the season. We have had a lot of new registered members in the last month looking and talking about HS baseball. The Forum welcomes different points of view and healthy discussion on all topics.

Kudos to GNG for getting out his verbal paddles a little over a month ago on the Forum HS baseball link and yelling:

"Clear because here comes my vocal chords !!!"

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NH Yankee Fan on Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 am

The younger McQuarrie on JV is a sophomore - SS who hits for power and pitches, also a sophomore outfielder Fontanella who can hit and is a speedster on the bases also pitches. Morais sophomore pitcher who also hits for power. In addition to these guys there are 8 juniors on JV - many of them can swing the bat. Painter had a tough situation this year and has done extremely well in getting and keeping kids throughout the program excited. My understanding is that he kept all the seniors and juniors who came back this year to try out. That is part of the reason why there are 8 juniors on JV. He cut several sophomores. He kept as many of the 35 freshman that tried out as he could - most play on freshmen squad with 2 playing JV. Also he has often had the JV and Varsity teams practice together so that he can develop a strong system for these kids. My hat goes off to him for what he has already accomplished and think that BG will continue to field competitive teams in the future. Hay this season for BG has been a lot more fun than it has been in years.

NH Yankee Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed May 18, 2011 8:59 am

nhball9 you asked a question, I gave and answer. Just because you don't like or respect my evaluations doesn't mean they are wrong, does it ? You were hinting with your comments that they were going to be a one and done program. They have a SOLID foundation for next year. You were also the one that brought comparisons to Portsmouth. Not me.
Is it possible that you are not as unbiased as you try to make yourself out to be ? I ask this question because in your 1st post "settle down it's early in the season" you seemed to diminish BG's early season accomplishments. Now that the season is almost over, your on here again insinuating that with the graduation of this years seniors they are in trouble for next season. Then when I tell you who is coming back and what they bring to the table you scoff at my evaluations.
This site tries to keep it positive, why don't you tell us who you like, we know who you don't like.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am

GNG I'm not trying to do anything. Please don't try to read into what I write. I didn't scoff at your evaluations, I said they were generous and they are. If they were spot on then they really shouldn't have lost a game. That isn't realistic. That being said they are set up nicely for the playoffs as it really is pitching and defense and BG is solid in both areas.
When a new coach comes in there is a level of excitement amongst the players that gives them a bump in performance. A recent example to support my point would be the Memorial program. Two years ago they didn't make the playoffs. A new coach who is very good comes in and they are the 5 seed with a bright future as a majority of thier foundation came back for this year. In fact they were a preseason favorite for the title. They didn't perform and are now fighting for a spot. I AM NOT saying this will happen to BG. BG has better athletes to draw from and I do think they will be solid. My point being it is very difficult to make concrete predictions when you are dealing with a teenage population.
Who do I like? I think Salem, even with all their injuries, will be there, North is tough, Concord is tough, Merrimack and YES BG!! I have never seen things this open to this point in the season. 1-16 has a real chance. Just because I don't drink the cool aid doesn't mean I don't like them.
My apologies to any who were offended with my comments, I really wasn't going for that.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 am

I can fully understand what was referred to as the BG lovefest early in the year.

We went though the same thing last year with MMHS going from 5 wins in 2009 to 13 wins in 2010. It was great to have something positive for the players, parents and the school. Hard not to be excited and happy when you finally get something to cheer about.

When I saw BG they played very solid. I haven't seen a team in D1 that can't be beat by several of the other D1 teams. If teams are playing well in the playoffs there are several teams that could win it.

Not sure why nhball9 is worried about 2012 already. Let people enjoy all of this season before worrying about 2012.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I understand bball9. Thanks for straightening that out . These are the teams I have been impressed with.
North- great pitching, solid defense{ except for Concord game} and some pop in their bats.
Concord- smoked BG. Hitters were very disciplined they had a plan. I don't know about their pitching depth, but their 5 losses are to quality teams.
Winnie- I know they have 6 losses, but they drilled BG at holman. They were hitting rockets all over the park. Big kids, once again I have no clue on their pitching depth.
Merrimack- 2 good pitchers,scrappy seniors everywhere, hungry for a title. They don't have a power lineup, they like to bunt,walk, make the other team beat themselves.
South- they have flown under the radar all season. They are rounding into shape at the right time.

I have big questions about Salem. More then one person has told me that they have injury issues with 3 of their starters. If that is true I don't feel they have enough hitting to make a run. If their pitchers are healthy then they get put right into the conversation with North.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum