@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Portsmouth And The Record!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Portsmouth And The Record!

Post  BJNashNo on Sat May 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Just wondering if Portsmouth is still undefeated and how many more games they need to break the record. Thanks!

BJNashNo
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Re: Portsmouth And The Record!

Post  Guest on Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes they're still undefeated. They currently are on a 74 game win streak and they can tie the National record (75) Monday against Sanborn. If they beat Sanborn they can break the record Wednesday (if those games don't get rained out) @ Pembroke.

Back to top Go down

Post  BJNashNo on Sat May 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the update. That will be something. I don't care about any "yea butts" here. This is an accomplishment. You don't win that many games in a row unless you're doing something right. Kudos to the coaching staff and all the boys involved in that streak!

BJNashNo
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat May 14, 2011 8:36 pm

This will be really cool if it happens. Portsmouth with the baseball record and Plymouth with the football record - quite an accomplishment for our state.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  fivehole on Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 pm

First of all Portsmouth has a great program, question: Are other schools throwing their number one at them or saving them for winable games? Maybe at this point with some many wins teams are going in thinking they can't beat them and don't give the effort? Question: Before this season the class were done away with and turned into Divisions, why wouldn't Portsmouth move to D I, better yet why didn't the NHIAA move them?

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Sun May 15, 2011 3:14 pm

they were in d1 or class l in 2005 i believe its all about the enrollment not how well you do. look at goffstown this year they went down to d2. they were always atop or pretty well when they played in class l so it doesnt really make a difference they won at both levels

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  fivehole on Sun May 15, 2011 3:40 pm

True, the Division are bases on enrollment, but any school can petition to be moved up or down a Divsion. In D1 Bishop Guertin and Trinity should be in lower division, Guertin in D2, and Trinity D3. In D2 Brady and Kearsarge should be D3. IMO Goffstown shouldn't have moved, they are 15 students below the 1250 they would need for D1. I bet the 15 students they lost, none were baseball players. Bedford is 27 students shy of D1. Portsmouth, Bedford, and Goffstown are the top teams in D2, Portsmouth beat Bedford last year in the finals, this year Bedford and Goffstown will fight for the spot to play Portsmouth again in the finals. There has to be a way to make the division equal, come playoff time no one is going to touch those three teams.
Guertin looks pretty good, lets move them to D2 were they should be by enrollment, and let them play Portsmouth. IMO Guertin would dominate D2 and Trinity would do the same in D3. I have to give someone credit in those schools to have the kids playing were they should, and not playing down to win.

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Sun May 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Very good points. I think if you took the top 3 in d2 and put them in d1 they probably would be up in the top 7 or so. Behind the likes of north salem and bg this year. And i agree with you on goffstown they shouldnt have moved down. no need for it. they were a powerhouse in d1 they should be a top of d2 for a while. and i also agree with you on the trinity and bg if they went downn they would dominate. i dont know its very weird how some teams are in certian divisions. I remember my freshman year 06 when portsmouth was still in class L i played varsity as a freshman and they killed us that year. I dont think they should have movevd down at all. They were always good in L or D1 now they are just dominating in D2.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sun May 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Given that Portsmouth has won championships along the way - I guarantee they've seen other teams' #1 pitchers - no question about that. Do they see one every game - no. BUT if I'm Portsmouth's opponent - I have easy fuel to get my players up for the game. Don't you want to be *the team* that knocks them off their perch? To have to live under than pressure year after year cannot be easy on the Portsmouth players. Would you want to be known as "the team" that lost? Every pitch, every at bat, every play, that pressure exists. These are 15-18 year old's playing a game very well, very consistently, for a long time.

Given all the reasons to lose a game - defense lets you down, bad umpires, bad day for the pitcher, couldn't touch the opposing pitcher, fluke plays, etc. etc. winning that many games in a row is an unbelievable achievement.

As for the up or down a division issue - I still say "something" could have happened over the course of that last 70+ games, BUT it didn't. Credit goes to the Portsmouth program for being able to do what it takes to win on the field.

I "get" the division argument - I think if you want to be the best you play the best, but that's not how it works all the time. Would anyone believe that Winni and BG would be near the top of D1 this year? That Goffstown would lose in D2 after being so dominant in D1 - probably not. It really is too bad that NH decides to go with large team divisions solely based on school size rather than regional conference play that would allow such match-ups between what we know as inter divisional foes. I'm not talking about Alvirne going to Windham and beating a 1st year program that has no seniors, a couple juniors, and a few sophomores - rather I'm thinking about Portsmouth being able to schedule Winni because they had only 6-7 teams in their conference and got the choice to play 4-8 out of conference games before playoffs start. The argument works pretty well in other sports too. The hard part is "knowing" who will be good any given year. Schedules are usually driven in 2-year cycles (home/home). Portsmouth beating Winni last year probably wouldn't shock anyone, but this year - perhaps a different story.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

re; Portsmouth and the record

Post  a fan on Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 am

I've been watching high school baseball in NH(,mostly the seacoast ) for some dozen yrs or so. I've thought about d2 baseball often since Portsmouth began playing in d2/class i. i was set against them dropping down, enrollment or not. They went 20 yrs without a home playoff game. I liked playing the Manchester's,Nashua etc. But something most of the state doesn't see or know, is what it's done to the culture of the school/community.

It has brought school pride back to the community. not just in baseball, Portsmouth now competes in all sports. That has changed the feeling in the school and the community. I know every one turns to BG, and Trinity as far as petitioning up, but they can recruit players.

I have watched thiese kids for a few years now, no one would ever think they would be undefeated this long. while it may be tainted in some peoples eye's...............it has brought some much needed notoriety to the state. that can't be all bad..........can it?

a fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  NH Yankee Fan on Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 am

What I don't understand is why BG doesn't petition up for football - doubt with Tojo staying on as AD that the new football coach will do so - but that makes the most sense.

NH Yankee Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 am

Let's try to stay on topic w/r/t baseball and in particular Portsmouth. Put your other "thoughts" into a different place in this forum. The recruiting and football in particular are going to take us down a path that doesn't belong here.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Mon May 16, 2011 11:11 am

I do have to laugh when I hear these arguments about what class/division a school ‘should’ be in due to their success.

If Somersworth continues to win this year should they be made to move up to D2? After all they have only lost one game in 2 years. Shouldn’t Milford be made to move up in basketball for next year? Then of course there is always Plymouth in Football a few years back.

One thing I never see tossed into the discussion is the fact that in baseball and basketball, people always forget that when you talk about pulling the boy’s team up to a particular level, you are also bringing along the girl’s teams.

The BGs & Trinitys also have the ability to have their athletes come from anywhere, this is not so for the public high school. GNG has been one here who had his own reasons for sending his son to BG. If Trinity had to pull only from a certain section of Manchester, they would not be in D1 either.

Should teams be made to drop a division because they go years without being successful – example – Spaulding Football. (from what I understand, they may now be considering it)

It is easy to say a team should move up when a streak like this occurs, but the issue is never as simple as those thinking that way.

“There has to be a way to make the division equal,”

Based on what criteria? Are we going to constantly bounce schools up and down based on some arbitrary definition of success and failure? Who s going to set the criteria? The NHIAA? - Please they go out of thier way to screw up a system for athletic standings - Do we really want them setting some discrete criteria for too much success or failure at a particular competitve level?Also, does the softball team have to move because the baseball team is so successful? Is a school going to be forced to pay more money to transport a boys basketball team to D1 games while its girl’s teams play D2?

Even better what happen when a school dominates the highest division? Indeed what would people say if Portsmouth had done this in D1? There will always be people looking to discredit/criticize any achievement like this.

There are many more real world problems in this issue than simply saying a school ‘should’ be in a different level of competition due to success or failure in games.

“this year Bedford and Goffstown will fight for the spot to play Portsmouth again in the finals. There has to be a way to make the division equal, come playoff time no one is going to touch those three teams.”

If you understand baseball and the use of a single elimination playoffs, you should know that making this kind of statement is walking on thin ice. Every year top teams get beat or pushed to the brink when they face a top pitcher. This why college tournaments are double elimination.

Bedford just lost to Laconia and Goffstown lost to STA and Souhegan. STA has already taken Portsmouth to the brink losing 4-3 a couple of weeks ago. Portsmouth was the #1 seed in ’07 and lost to Hollis-Brookline in the quarter-finals. HB went on to win the tittle as the 8th seed if I recall correctly. Last year Bedford was the #7 seed and beat #2 STA in Dover. A high seed is NOT untouchable!

If the STA coach had used some real thought, there would not be a streak nor 3 consecutive titles. STA had the lead in the title game 2 years ago before he decided to pitch the best hitter in the state with a base open and the go ahead run on the bases.. Mike Montville hit a titanic HR that provided the final score of Portsmouth 10, STA 8.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  fivehole on Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 pm

I just got some info on the Bedford team, the word is they have trouble with the off speed pitch, Portsmouth did it, and Laconia got word did same thing. Also their top pitcher throws hard but flat over the plate. Word spreading fast on this scouting report.

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Yes, Maher's strength is his fastball. I will give him a lot of credit though, the only time I have seen him throw was the victory over STA in the playoffs last year. The Saints pounded him pretty good (9 runs in the first 3 innnings), but the coach left him in there and he battled and fought. Bedford was able to get scratch away and get the win.

The thing people have to remember is that Portsmouth's kids play in 'big' games from an early age. The big stage really does not get to them and we have seen it now with more than a single group of players. Little League, Babe Ruth & AAU have provided these guys with a wealth of high level competitive games as they have grown up.

As good as they are right now, imagine how good they would be if STA's Jordan Bean had stayed and attended Portsmouth HS.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Article about the game and tying streak

Post  Guest on Tue May 17, 2011 4:14 am

They won but sure was close. 2-0 only the only two runs unearned, the article goes into more depth of the game and streak. Wednesday (weather permitting) the Clippers try to break the streak in Pembroke (7-5). I forget where I read it but I guess Espn.com or some part of the espn network will have people/camera's at the game.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110517-SPORTS-105170393

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 am

"One thing I never see tossed into the discussion is the fact that in baseball and basketball, people always forget that when you talk about pulling the boy’s team up to a particular level, you are also bringing along the girl’s teams."
JT_nh_hs_fan

Not true JT. This past season the West's girls basketball team competed in D2 while the West boy's team played in D1. NHIAA changed the rules for teams moving from division to division so teams could find a better competitive balance. This worked out well for the West girl's program as they were able to be competitive in a lot more games in D2 while the boys continued to keep their tradition of playing in D1.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Transportation

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Actually I think it is true as the softball and baseball teams travel together. Unless of course the program has the funds and the ability to do independent schedules for both. Otherwise it would be an issue.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Probably depends on facility and teams. If a facility has 2 baseball or 2 softball fields to play at, then the boys and girls go in different directions. I suppose if there were only 1 field each, then boys and girls would travel together with Varsity playing at one site and JV at the other. So I think you're both right in a way.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Tue May 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Actually I know that both West and Trinity softball are D2 while the baseball teams are D1...

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu May 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Portsmouth got 5 runs in the 2nd to build an early lead. Pembroke got 2 back in the 4th to narrow the gap 6-2.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 pm

The Clippers added 3 more in the 5th stretching the lead 9-2.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

They added another, now 10-2.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu May 19, 2011 7:35 pm

It's official the record has been broken! Portsmouth over Pembroke 10-2 to extend the streak to 76.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum