@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Tony Johnson Done As Coach at BG

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tony Johnson Done As Coach at BG

Post  GNG on Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 am

Chi kid good to hear from you. Here is the deal with TOJO. He is a millionare, he turned some inns and hotels around, flipped them ,cashed out at the perfect time. His wife is a high powered attorney. He does this because he loves it, and he loves the kids. That is why I told him to get the hell out, go someplace where he is appreciated by the administration.
The school administration doesn't care to be known as a jock high school. With moves like this they will get their wish, much sooner then anybody would have thought.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 10, 2011 8:39 am

I don't want to get into an argument of why you choose one high school over another, but it will be interesting to see if any good BG football players transfer out of BG because of this situation at BG. If I'm a parent of a player that made the decision to go to BG with ToJo as the football coach being one of the top 2 or 3 reasons, then I might be thinking long and hard if I want to continue to travel to 194 Lund Rd. Merrimack High along with a couple of other schools (In the city of Nashua) might reap some residual benefit in the the next couple of years for their football programs.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:I don't want to get into an argument of why you choose one high school over another, but it will be interesting to see if any good BG football players transfer out of BG because of this situation at BG. If I'm a parent of a player that made the decision to go to BG with ToJo as the football coach being one of the top 2 or 3 reasons, then I might be thinking long and hard if I want to continue to travel to 194 Lund Rd. Merrimack High along with a couple of other schools (In the city of Nashua) might reap some residual benefit in the the next couple of years for their football programs.

You might be right - but I would hope that a parents decision to send a child to a particular school was, a. not solely based on 1 person (the football coach) and b. not centered around athletics.

But who knows maybe I'm way off base. I suppose if you've got a young kid who's got a chance to play DI ball and want exposure, BG is the place to do it around here...at least it was.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am

Asst, I'm not saying a parent's/child's decision is based solely on a coach, but let's call a club a club and a heart a heart and say if you have a child who is very good at one or two sports then what coaches a school has is obviously going to play a part in what school they go to. BG being private and costing $$$ is a unique situation compared to a lot of other high schools. With college costing so much these days parents really have to think 3 times before opening up the check book to a place like BG. Every thing has to be rounded and perfect for them to send their kid to BG in this day and age. For a football player going to BG or considering going to BG, the rounded and perfect scenario is a lot less rounded and a lot less perfect this week.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 am

It was for us. Stay in Merrimack, and don't play, or go to Nashua and play for a legend. Sports and academics is why ALOT of these parents chose BG for their kids. It was/is the perfect mix. The perfect mix.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 am

GNG wrote: It was for us. Stay in Merrimack, and don't play, or go to Nashua and play for a legend. Sports and academics is why ALOT of these parents chose BG for their kids. It was/is the perfect mix. The perfect mix.

So it actually wasn't just about sports GNG. It was about the perfect mix. Sports can certainly be the deciding factor, but I guess in my lala land I'd think everybody would make the academics the priority first.

99% of NH HS kids are going to move on after high school and not pursue sports. The 1% that do still should consider academics a priority since 0.9% of that 1% be playing DII or DIII ball (in any sport) - and likely find a career in something other than sports. The 0.1% that will be playing DI ball might make a case for choosing a HS (like BG, Trinity, or a Prep School) based solely on sports and potentially improving their college choices.

Sports AND academics is a great reason to choose BG or some other similar school though.

And to T&F...

Tuesday and Friday wrote:I don't want to get into an argument of why you choose one high school over another, but it will be interesting to see if any good BG football players transfer out of BG because of this situation at BG.

Oops

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

A slightly different angle... Let's say there's 400 boys in the school and 100 play football. Of those 25 came specifically because of the football program. All hypothetical numbers - I have no knowledge of real numbers, but conservatively speaking there's probably 5-10 in any given class (GNG being 1 this year). These children took the test, got in, and have parents forking over almost $12G a year now. Does it make good business sense to alienate 6.25% of your existing/potential customer base? How about alienating some percentage of your alumni base/donations. A large amount of money has been brought into the school because of athletics - sure BAE donates to the science lab and there are other academic benefactors, but like it or not, sports contributes a lot of money. Again, I have no idea of actual numbers - just speculation for the pure enjoyment kind of like GNG betting on the horses this past weekend... The counter argument is that there are those that don't like the football coach and want to see him out. They won't donate or be involved because of him. The question is - with him gone - will they fill the void? Only time will tell, but if you're running a business it's rarely a good idea to tick off or alienate part of your existing customer base without already having some other plan to CYA. Considering BG is looking to expand their athletic complex inventory - as of last year there's a parcel of land near the Nashua Airport that BG was looking to purchase and develop fields. That to me says they understand the value of the athletic base and what money it can bring into the school, which makes this decision all the more perplexing.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 am

JAF, a similar situation occurred not too long ago at UCONN. If you recall, a donor had pledged several million to the building of a new Football stadium at UCONN, and had asked for his donation back along with removing his families name from the stadium name/plaque. The controversy centered around the ADs search for a new Football coach. In this case, the donor wanted to be kept abreast of the search happenings and give his two cents, which he felt he'd earned for forking over 7 million for the stadium.

Now it's a little different obviously - but its an example of an administrations actions pissing off contributors and donors to the point where they don't want extend their generosity - and in this case, take it BACK. The football program at BG, especially with its success in the last decade, has almost certainly gained the backing of a large group of alumni and donors.

If I were the BG Administration, I certainly wouldn't want to piss any of them off.

On a side note - how big are the shoe's that his replacement will have fill? Probably be a little awkward...seeing how you're replacing your (very successful) boss at his former post.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 am

JAF wrote:Considering BG is looking to expand their athletic complex inventory - as of last year there's a parcel of land near the Nashua Airport that BG was looking to purchase and develop fields. That to me says they understand the value of the athletic base and what money it can bring into the school, which makes this decision all the more perplexing.

It may also be that the donors have specifically indicated what the money is to be used for (as in the UCONN situation). There is most likely (pure speculation) a nice little pot of money from various contributors deemed specifically for the expansion of BGs sports complex. I don't want to get too far off with speculation, but hypothetically, a donor who's provided funds specifically for football purposes, may be inclined to want that money back since a new coach is in place now, without reason.

Again - not sure if that's how donations work at the private school level, but I could see how I might be a little upset if a coach was fired (after winning 5 championships in 6 years or whatever it is) and I'd just given a bunch of money specifically to his program.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 pm

The more I think about this, the more I think he will resign {100 % speculation on my part}. He was still in shock yesterday, and what comes next, anger. I honestly don't believe Brother Marc has any clue to the amount of money that won't be coming into the school due to alumni dissatisfication over this decision.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I hear you GNG. After thinking about this situation and hearing other things that might have fueled this BG fire storm, I have this to say very simply:

Open memo to Tony Johnson,

You have built up a very respectable foundation of a football program that is the model for other schools to follow. Some would say there are other factors, but you know and others do, the sweat, toil and passion you have put into the program. You earned the right to end things YOUR OWN WAY and not be forced into a compromising position. Why should you stay on and watch some one else enter your kitchen, use your utensils and try to cook something while you smell the odor of it. The only odor you will be smelling is the stench of politics and adults using power to adversely affect you and as an end result adversely affect the BG kids. If there was ever a time to change the course of your working and coaching career, now might be the time to do so. Give it some time and come up with a decision with great thought. You deserve the right to do what's best for you. Good luck.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 am

Unbelievable, go read The Telegraph's story on BG'S explanation on the recent events. What do you get when you mix bs with damage and spin control? This story.
His mission is to make ALL sports over there GREAT,meanwhile make ALL student athletes feel WARM and FUZZY about their expierence , and if you don't remember we have these evaluation forms {little Jimmy didn't play enough,he' a bad man} and we will send you packing.
I can't comment on this anymore{until its over} except to say there are several groups being formed right now , and that this story is not ending it has just started. TRUST ME.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed May 11, 2011 10:36 am

The article GNG referenced.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sportshighschoolsports/918884-221/official-bg-football-coach-stepping-down-was.html

Devils advocate time...

I'm a complete outsider, to both BG, and NH Football in general. I will say this, after reading this article (which may or may not be skewed or being taken out of context) it appears that this was the plan all along. One might even assume Coach Johnson knew that this inevitably was going to happen, and it was part of the prerequisite for him to take the AD position? (speculation).

I can understand how one would be reluctant to give up such a post after such success, and I can certainly understand the uproar that friends, family, parents and donors might have removing one of the States most successful active coaches.

If this WAS the plan all along - I see no problem with transitioning the coach to what they initially planned for him to do. The fact that he's had such success makes the decision much more difficult to swallow, however. Being up front with the public from the beginning may have been a smart step for BG, but it is apparent they weren't.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Asst: If you only knew .......... Evil or Very Mad

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed May 11, 2011 8:54 pm

He was given the choice , I know that for a fact, football or AD

he choose AD

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 pm

The non football players parents wanted him out, he angered a lot of people on Lund road including coaches that work for him.

Students were told not to play certain sports,

The truth will come out over time it is not as one sided towards Tojo as some one here would like you to believe.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 pm

You are partially correct, Golden Bear.......

The TRUTH will eventually come out

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Hey Golden Bear

Post  Interested NH Hoopfan on Wed May 11, 2011 11:46 pm

You seem to have a lot of "inside information"; how did your team do in the AAU state tournament last weekend?

Interested NH Hoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I noticed this thread has run quiet...seems like the real story has finally come out. BG should keep in mind it's only high school...do what's in the best interest of all kids.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat May 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Crazy Carl: What is your version of the "real story?"

Just curious.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Trying to be delicate here...forced hand...BG was in a compromised situation if a change was not made. I think Tony had overall ownership of an issue.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat May 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I would probably use the words/terms:

Betrayed
Forced Out
Politics As Usual
Blind Sided
Stabbed in the Back

Just to name a few......

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Sat May 21, 2011 10:39 pm

You are obviously closer to the situation than I. The issues in question I heard about about involved two situations. I hate being cryptic. I have no dog in the fight, but at the end of the day, I think he should be happy to have what he has left and the media spin is total BS.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Please, If you actually know something, just say it. If you are working on 3rd or 4th hand info, don't bother saying anything at all. It is rather foolish to insinuate that you know the real story and then back off it. Especially if you do not have a real stake in it.

If you want to keep players names out of it, refer to Player A or B instead of John or Joe.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett on Sun May 22, 2011 12:13 am

This post has been deleted by Moderator.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Sun May 22, 2011 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Very serious allegations. Not type of info posted on this Forum.)

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum