New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Early in the season, settle down

+9
Crazy Carl Everett
GNG
Mauser96
abball
FullCount
JAF
Tuesday and Friday
EBlessNHSP
nhball9
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Early in the season, settle down - Page 2 Empty Re: Early in the season, settle down

Post  GNG Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

The right fielder doesn't fall down they shut out Merrimack. Beating Salem 2 outs, 2 strikes 7th inning of 1 hit ball. I stand by my 12-6 T@F.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Early in the season, settle down - Page 2 Empty Re: Early in the season, settle down

Post  JAF Tue May 03, 2011 9:54 am

When you're 6-2 and in 4th place it's highly possible the teams that you've defeated will have worse records that yourself... At the very least one can say BG is winning the games they should. Dover was a good test considering the hype of how good they were supposed to be. They beat South, Londonderry, & Spaulding. Yes, they're currently on a 4 game losing streak and we didn't see their #1 yesterday, but nonetheless holding them to 3 hits is pretty good. Alvirne may not have a great record, but they were also held to 3 hits - one of their two runs Friday shouldn't have counted - the BG LF'r picked up a ball clearly past the cones without raising his hand first to indicate the ball was past the cones. That allowed a runner from first to score on what should have been a ground rule double. We beat Trinity who beat Salem. We had Salem, but couldn't muster enough run support against their #2. Merrimack threw #1 and #2 against BG - for them it was a good win as they got their timely hits and made a couple of catches on balls easily hit over 350'.

In the end it's all about pitching and right now I'd say BG has some pretty good pitching - which of the 3 do you want to face? Two of them can go the distance and keep their pitch counts down. The third needs time to learn how to build arm strength to last longer than 5 innings and he's an imposing figure - 6'5" plus the 'fro and a little bit of wildness to keep you on your toes.The way things are set up Cody and Christian can back each other up, plus Clapp has done his job when called upon. Howe will get his chances...

Who woulda thunk that BG, Merrimack, and Winnicunnet would be top 5 teams along with North and Salem at this point of the season - almost halfway done...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I really could not have said it better than Tuesday and Friday...
"Before you start doing some serious NH Forum gloating please note the following:

The 6 teams BG have beaten so far this season - West, Trinity, Timby, Memorial, Alvrine and Dover have a combined record of
15 -34 so far this season. They are all in the lower half of the D1 standings. BG's 2 losses have been against Merry and Salem. These 2 teams are in the top 5 of the D1 standings.

I don't mean to temper your gloating at the near mid point of the season, but the schedule for BG will get much tougher in the 2nd half. 6 of their remaining 10 games will be against teams in the upper half of the standings as of right now. I'm not saying BG can't go 6 - 4, 7 - 3 or 8 - 2 in their last 10 games, but the Cardinals schedule will get tougher in May"

That being said, a win is a win. Congrats to BG. Let's hope the hold their own against the big boys....

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed May 04, 2011 8:19 am

Before the season began I said BG had some serious pitching. So far after 8 games the team has done nothing to change my opinion. Not gloating, just stating facts. They held Salem to 2 hits for 7 innings, they held Dover to 2 hits for 7 innings, they held Merrimack to 3 hits for 7 innings, and they held Alvirne to 3 hits for 7 innings. That's 28 innings pitched, 10 hits allowed.
I don't care who you are playing, that is pretty darn good. Watch where Memorial and Trinity end up, they are not bottom tier teams. West is bad no doubt ,but we saw their ace Welch when his arm was fresh and expectations were high.
In my opinion it is North,{Salem when Poore is pitching} and everybody else. There are going to be alot of 9-9, 10-8,and 8-10 teams going into the tourny. I will be surprised if BG is not in the top 5 after playing everybody.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 am

In a "perfect world", losing to someone higher than you in the standings would be expected. Of course baseball has the wildcard that pitching can change that perfect world. Many top level teams have lost to a lower level opponent in the playoffs because that lower level opponent had 1 really good pitcher who may not fit the "ace" category of Turner & Poore, but are "aces" in NH HS D1 baseball. From what I've seen so far North, Merri, Salem, & BG each have 2 quality starters. I believe Londonderry has two (Kinnon/Maloney) as well.

Taking a snapshot of the top 8 teams today and hopefully getting all the math correct (it's still early) - here's a look at the opponent's overall record and then the record of those teams that beat you. I did include Salem's loss to Andover and Keene's wins over Brattleboro, Con-Val, & the Spaulding forfeit in the calculations. It seems from this snapshot - BG & Concord appear to be very similar with respect to their opponents record. Winni, Exeter, & Londonderry each will have a difficult 2nd half schedule - lining up their pitching could be key to where they finish. Remember - the first two rounds are at your home field. The semis are at Holman and final at FisherCat stadium.

Opponent Record of opponents
Record Loss
North 29-36 0-0
Merr 39-34 12-3 (North, Exeter)
Salem 37-35 10-5 (North, Trinity, note: not including Andover w/l)
BG 30-40 14-5 (Merr, Salem)
Winni 35-43 13-13 (Cent, South, Lond)
Exeter 31-40 15-12 (Cent, Trin, Salem)
Conc 36-37 20-8 (Merr, Salem, Winni)
Lond 30-42 10-15 (Memor, Dover, Spaul)

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am

North has played 6 of the same teams as BG and only 2 of those teams have a winning record. Seems strange that no one is questioning North's quality, but some are questioning BG.

North has 2 quality pitchers in Turner and Mellin, but I'm not sure what they have after that. Not being negative, I just did not see any one other than those 2 pitch. North mostly seems to be winning without a lot of runs same as BG.

BG is doing what they need to do to win. They are getting good pitching and making the plays in the field. I do think some of the teams lower in the standings right now can play better and will move up as we finish the season.

Haven't seen Salem yet, but from what I have seen there is no runaway team this year. There are several teams that could win in the playoffs if they play their best.

Should be some very interesting playoff games.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Early in the season, settle down - Page 2 Empty Teams still to play

Post  GNG Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 am

Not as hard as you make it out to be T@F. Every team except undefeated North has at least 3 losses.
CENTRAL- has lost 4 out of their last 5.
KEENE- today's foe. Losers of 4 in a row.
SOUTH- losers of 3 in a row.
SPAULDING- 3 wins, 5 losses. From what I gather quite a few jv players now play on varsity.
LONDONDERRY- 5 wins 3 losses. Lost to Memorial. They got 10 runned by Dover, and they just lost to Spaulding, yes Spaulding.
CONCORD- senior laden team, they beat who they are supposed to beat. My question with them is pitching depth.
WINNIE- streaky team, win 2, lose 3, win 4, lose??. Their next 3 are North, BG, and Exeter.
NORTH- The team to beat, solid everywhere. When Guertin faces them in 3 weeks it will be North's 3rd game that week. I would wager that they save Turner for that game. It should be a great measuring stick game for BG.

The point I am trying to make T@F is that alot of these teams have weaknesses{including BG}. Some of the teams on the bottom will be more towards the middle, and some of the middle teams will be closer to the bottom. Not alot of pitching depth on a great deal of division one teams this season.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Wed May 04, 2011 11:45 am

That's true, North really hasn't overwhelmed anyone offensively other than Timberlane and Alvirne. The teams that did keep our bats in check sent their aces to the mound: Sullivan from Memorial, Hudon from Merrimack, Poore from Salem, Trinity's #1 (opening day). The kid from Keene (#5) I don't know his name had decent stuff, plus his outfield took away 3 basehits and kept what should have been a double to a single.

What has been working thus far for North is pitching, Turner and Mellin are two names everyone knows about. Connor Root has been very effective and Matt Lipkind will contribute as well. North's defense has come up big when it's needed to as well. The boys have already turned at least 4 double plays this year and one triple play. These are huge rally killers.

Pitching and defense is the way to win games, you obviously need to score runs, but more importantly you need to keep the other team off the board.

The top 5 teams are winning games because they have at least 2 quality starters (some have more) and their defenses are playing reasonably well. Take a look at the average number of runs given up per game for the top 5. This has a lot to do with them being in the top 5.

North: 2.43
Merrimack: 4.4
Salem: 3.8
BG: 2.13
Winnacunnet: 3.9

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Excellant points nyk. Good to have you on the forum.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Wed May 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks GNG! I like the commentary and analysis in this blog.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed May 04, 2011 6:30 pm

GNG, you keep throwing balls at my head and I'm not wearing a batting helmet.

Don't forget that nice BG shirt I've worn quite a bit lately.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Thu May 05, 2011 7:01 am

T@F, put your helmet on. Who do you think you are, Bob Montgomery?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  123ksurout Fri May 06, 2011 7:16 am

Two good games yesterday of top teams:

Londonderry beat Concord 2-1 scoring their 2 in the 6th. Soph Maloney pitched very well and used his defense in keeping explosive Concord team in check.

Salem had a walk off home run in bottom of 7th by Joe Morin to best Merrimacks Hudon 3-2.

Surprised by Memorials fall in standings after last years rise.

Time to look at today's games.

123ksurout
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 am

The paper has Tommy Hudon striking out 10 while walking 9.He went the distance giving up a walkoff homer. It sounds like his pitch count must have been up there. Who pitched for Salem?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri May 06, 2011 8:38 am

From the EagleTribune:

Salem 3, Merrimack 2

Merrimack (2): King cf 4-0-0, Hudon p 3-2-3, Parker 3b 2-0-1, Dupont lf 3-0-1, Urquhart 2b 3-0-0, Michaud 1b 3-0-0, Schoomaker c 3-0-0, Pineau rf 2-0-0, Theriault 2b 1-0-0, Distasio ss 2-0-0. Totals 26-2-5

Salem (3): Lemenager cf 3-0-0, D. Morin 3b 3-0-0, Treff c 3-0-1, J. Morin 1b 2-1-1, DiPalma dh 2-1-0, Bouvier ss 3-0-0, Downing rf 2-0-1, Stewart 2b 2-0-0, Stevens 2b 0-0-0, Dunn lf 1-1-0, Gigante lf 0-0-0. Totals 21-3-3

RBI: S Treff, J. Morin

WP: Loguidice; LP: Hudon

Merrimack (7-3):1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2

Salem (8-3):0 0 1 0 0 1 1 3

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

Seeing it is now just past the half way point today for most of the teams it's time to kabosh the old thread named:

Early in the season, settle down

Time to start a new thread chronologically correlating to the new part of the season:

Later in the season, time to get excited

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Fri May 06, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Early in the season, settle down - Page 2 Empty Merrimack at Salem

Post  GNG Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

Just got off the phone with a Merrimack parent that was at the Salem game. Chase Distacio gave up the home run. He came in bases loaded one out, struck a kid out, then the dinger. It should be noted that Chase is an outstanding shortstop and really doesn't consider himself a pitcher. I love the kid. He was the kid from Merrimack that my kid couldn't talk into Guertin.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 am

Memorial's problem is defense.

Pitching overall has been fine.

Earned runs by game this year: 2 4 0 6 1 3 6 2 1 1.

Lost to Spaulding 7 -4 w/ 0 earned runs, 6 errors in the 4th inning.

Lost to Exeter 4 -2 w/ 3 errors in one inning.

Lost to Trinity 6 -2 with 1 earned run which is questionable as an earned run.

No knock on the competition, the opposition has played well against Memorial. Memorial is beating themselves.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 am

I would hate to play Memorial in the 1st round with Sully pitching. Hate it.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 am

Sullivan is nasty, he quieted down the North bats for 6 and 1/3 innings. We ended up winning on an overthrow by Memorial, but overall they played a pretty clean game defensively. I thought their shortstop looked pretty good. Their second baseman did a great job backing up an overthrow of 1st base, that kept a run from scoring.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Memorial's Sully is the HS version of Greg Maddux. He doesn't wow you with speed, etc from the bump, but he is crafty painting the corners. He keeps batters guessing with the next pitch. His control works in his favor with home plate umps. If a 2-2 or 3 - 2 pitch is close and the batter takes it chances are good he'll be rung up by the umpire because a control pitcher like Sully gets the benefit of the strike zone doubt.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum