New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Paying for a kid

2 posters

Go down

Paying for a kid Empty Paying for a kid

Post  abball Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Now i know of someone who goes to a small d3 school not going to mention it. But the baseball team goes to florida every year. They have to come up with $800-$100 to go. But i have heard that one kid didnt have to pay a dime. The school paid for him to go. Now i dont know rules for this. But is this some type of violation? or is it perfectly normal

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Paying for a kid Empty Re: Paying for a kid

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 am

Is your information real? or from someone who heard it from someone?

Despite the issues we read about and hear about, 99% of the colleges & universities fully comply with the rules. Teams are allowed to fund raise for trips such as the southern swing baseball/softball trips all northern teams do. From my following of the NEWMAC basketball via the D3boards, I can tell you MIT went to Taiwan last summer & WPI went to Montreal this past fall.

Here are acouple of links to articles on the NCAA site that gives you some insight into this.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2010/Division+III/Student-athlete+fund-raising+prompts+debate

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/January/DIII+delegates+reach+decisions+during+business+session

Basically, it is common for a team to set a goal for each player to raise. That does not mean the each player actually gets that amount. The money the team raises as a whole will be used to pay for each player. If you do a search of the NCAA site, you will find a series of articles over the past couple of years on this subject.

The bottom line - It is not a violation.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down