New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Rutgers vs St Johns

3 posters

Go down

Rutgers vs St Johns Empty Rutgers vs St Johns

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Wow Rutgers just got jobbed in the Big East Tourney. The last play where there was time on the clock,the referees ran off without even thinking about taking a look at the monitors to see if there was time left. Sort of IRONIC dont you think? I know NH does not have monitors but this sure does seem similar to what I thought may have happened last night. Two referees were very anxious to get off the court and the game was finished in a very sketchy way. Player was definitely out of bounds and time was left on the clock.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Rutgers vs St Johns Empty Was just about to post the same thing

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:16 pm

I'd love to hear how this wasn't the refs fault. They changed the outcome of this game. That wasn't the only missed call in the last 10 seconds. The drive the youngman from Rutgers had with about 7.9 was very questionable but I can live with that one I guess, but the over the back with 5.5 left was a blown call. Then you have one ref getting up court so his back was turned but the other official making his way up court should've been watching the ball why wasn't he not to mention why not look at the monitor??

Back to top Go down

Rutgers vs St Johns Empty I got reamed on this site last night

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 pm

I got reamed on this site last night because I talked about the last play in Merrimack and how I was not sure if Merrimack was asking for time as the clock ran out,the fans were on the court very quickly and the referees were more energized leaving the court. The Rutgers game was a little different as they obviously missed the call but similar in the fact they seemed more worried about getting out than finishing the game. I know that refs are told at the end of the game to get to the locker rooms quickly but it can look so bad if a call is not made. Just looks so bad to me.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Rutgers vs St Johns Empty Re: Rutgers vs St Johns

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Ya I saw the discussion last night wasn't there so stayed out of it, but do agree that refs shouldn't run off the court if there's something in question.

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 pm

In Mass. the refs are supposed to stay through the end of the handshake line. From what my son tells me (he took the course/test this year) this is very controversial for the Mass. refs. I think they feel this is an area which the coaches or game administrators should police.

Here's "an" issue... The "rule" (more or less) indicates that the game is "officially over" when both referees validate the home book has the right score and they both leave the visual confines of the court. If it's a close game, you're told to visit the table near the end of the game during a timeout just to "check" that the book looks good. Then once the final buzzer sounds - look to the table and give/get a thumbs up and beat a hasty retreat... So, what happens in a 1-2 point game if a some knucklehead from the "winning" team decides to punch an opposing player in visual sight of the referee. Well, since the game isn't over until both leave, that means we're shooting technicals. Thus, we could have a tie game or affraid a different outcome to the game. Imagine what happens after that. In some locales you may need a swat team to help you get out!

Now before you say it cannot happen - it must have happened at some point in time for this "mechanic" to be the norm.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 pm

chicagokid43 wrote:I got reamed on this site last night because I talked about the last play in Merrimack and how I was not sure if Merrimack was asking for time as the clock ran out,the fans were on the court very quickly and the referees were more energized leaving the court.

You did not get reamed. You were asked to take the discussion to the proper forum category. The purpose of putting all the ref talk in the Bleachers section is so that a game like last nights - which was a great game from all accounts by the players and coaches - is not overshadowed by referee discussion, which is where that conversation was headed. Never said you couldn't talk about it.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 am

chicagokid43 wrote:Wow Rutgers just got jobbed in the Big East Tourney. The last play where there was time on the clock,the referees ran off without even thinking about taking a look at the monitors to see if there was time left. Sort of IRONIC dont you think? I know NH does not have monitors but this sure does seem similar to what I thought may have happened last night. Two referees were very anxious to get off the court and the game was finished in a very sketchy way. Player was definitely out of bounds and time was left on the clock.

Actually ChiKid, these are two VERY different situations.

Alvirne/Merrimack - Tip in goes in with 1 second to play. Ball goes through the cylinder, the clock continues to run. No stoppage in High School basketball. Nobody called a timeout - or if they did, no Referee saw or acknowledged it. Game over. Refs leave the court as they should. Not sure what the gripe is about.

Big East St. Johns/Rutgers - Player recieves pass, steps out of bound with 1.9 seconds to play, clock continues to run. Referee MISSED the call. Not only did he step out of bounds, but he traveled prior to heaving the ball into the air. Again, referee missed that call too. Neither play is reviewable by instant replay under NCAA rulings so that argument goes out the door. Big East officials later reviewed the tape and admitted the mistake. Doesn't matter, game in the books. The refs ran off the floor because there was nothing they were allowed to do under the rules to change the call that was made on the floor (which was no call). So again, Refs leave the court as they should.

Your concern as to the speed as to which referees run off the floor is really reaching. So you'd rather they do a slow trot instead of a jog? Really?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rutgers vs St Johns Empty My point last night is very different from today actually.

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:47 am

My point last night was actually a question about how many time outs Merrimack had and if they tried to call one or not. I was so shocked out how close the buzzer and the Alvirne fans rushing the floor was I was asking if Goodrich had a time out and if he did anyone see if he tried to use it. The added info to that was with the speed at which the refs were sprinting away from the fans would it have been noticed if he did. That was my point more than the exit. Did he had one,did he try to use it, would it have been seen with the fans right on the refs heels and would the refs being asked to maybe hit the table before the locker room make them more attentive to the coaches in a last second play like that. I have been in games where nothing short of running out on the floor gets the attention of the refs, this could have been that way.
Tonight with Rutgers again the refs were quick to leave and seem to write off the last play and off to the locker room they went. While the clock and play were a little different you have to wonder if the chinese fire drill that seems to be the practiced and taught procedure if it is the best for the spirit of the game and if it leads to referees looking for the escape one play too soon.

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Take it up with me if you have an issue with how the forum is administrated - The Assistant)

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am

The referee talk takes away from what the game was really about. The performance of the kids.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down