@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

NHIAA Missed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NHIAA Missed

Post  boxout on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I was just wondering if any members of the NHIAA frequent this board? If any do I would like to ask a few questions.

What convinced you that this new playoff system is respectable?
Why is it better than Heal? Personally I am not a Heal Fan but it was better than this.
Why is it 5 points for a road win, and 4 for a home? Why not 2 and 1 respectively?
Why do lower class wins and losses count the same as same class wins/losses?
Why have Divisions if wins and losses count the same?
Did you think that some schools would not benefit from this system?

Guys can you think of more, this is silly.
I am going to be the third one to bring this up (SEE THE ASSISTANT and CHI-KID) St. Thomas Aquinas got completely jobbed. I can't believe that Laconia is in. The best team they played in DIII was 6-12. I am now and forever a fan of St. Thomas Aquinas, they should be playing, imagine being a player on that team.
Do you think the NHIAA is even aware of this situation? You guys write them?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Re: NHIAA Missed

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 am

I never said St. Thomas go jobbed. You might be thinking of Jeremy Leveille. He runs another website. Him and I are NOT the same person.

Here's my thoughts...they are the 16 seed. Playing Milford. The system did them a favor.

Harsh to say possibly, and that's too bad for STA but really, it's the 16 seed. bottom line is if STA had won a few more games they would not have been in this predicament. That's why you play the regular season...to get into the playoffs. They didn't play well enough under the stated parameters to win. Either play a few more games down a level (and not prepare yourself for the playoffs as good but still get in) or play a tougher schedule and possibly not get in. Double edged sword for them.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

I am not sure the NHIAA is more than just a few people, Pat Corbin runs he was the principal at North and I am not sure how many people actually work under him.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Jobbed

Post  basketballtime on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Here is the season schedule for both teams, the first one is St Thomas the one below it is Laconia you tell me after looking at these two schedules St Thomas didn't get totally jobbed? The strength of schedule and having to play outside of their divison? I counted ten top quality teams St Thomas had to play eleven against nine or ten for Laconia.

Souhegan
L 54 - 64
12-20
@ Kingswood
L 53 - 67
12-22
@ Kennett
W 54 - 36
01-04
Belmont
W 56 - 46
01-06
Merrimack Valley
L 46 - 48
01-07
@ Bishop Brady
L 28 - 48
01-11
Plymouth
W 68 - 44
01-14
Pembroke Academy
L 61 - 78
01-20
@ Winnisquam Regional
W 51 - 48
01-25
Kingswood
L 47 - 50
01-28
@ Goffstown
L 79 - 93
02-03
@ Hanover
L 51 - 67
02-08
Goffstown
L 50 - 86
02-10
@ Plymouth
W 44 - 43
02-15
@ Merrimack Valley
L 48 - 66
02-18
Lebanon
L 52 - 58
02-22
@ Bedford
L 58 - 73
02-24
Kennett

Laconia

Souhegan
L 54 - 64
12-20
@ Kingswood
L 53 - 67
12-22
@ Kennett
W 54 - 36
01-04
Belmont
W 56 - 46
01-06
Merrimack Valley
L 46 - 48
01-07
@ Bishop Brady
L 28 - 48
01-11
Plymouth
W 68 - 44
01-14
Pembroke Academy
L 61 - 78
01-20
@ Winnisquam Regional
W 51 - 48
01-25
Kingswood
L 47 - 50
01-28
@ Goffstown
L 79 - 93
02-03
@ Hanover
L 51 - 67
02-08
Goffstown
L 50 - 86
02-10
@ Plymouth
W 44 - 43
02-15
@ Merrimack Valley
L 48 - 66
02-18
Lebanon
L 52 - 58
02-22
@ Bedford
L 58 - 73
02-24
Kennett
W 45 - 29

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Change the system

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I think all of us agree that the system in place is flawed to say the least, I agree that if St. Thomas had a tougher schedule than Laconia and finished with the same record that St. Thomas should make the playoffs but that's not how it works. So I have to agree with The Assistant that with the current system in place Laconia did what they had to do to get in the playoffs so technically they earned the playoff spot, now is it fair not really but you have to go by the system in place. I think this just goes back to we need a change in the system or this will continue to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

I am convinced the members of this forum could do a much better job of running NH sports then the nhiaa does. Simply put they don't listen, or care. Why couldn't Londonderry host the game last night or tommorow night? Always the same problems. In football they have d1 and d2 championships at the same time on the same day. They make it tough to be a football fan in this state. Why not stagger the nights of the hoop games,so more people could go to more games? The nhiaa is allowing these guys with whistles to call themselves ref's ,unbelievable.
Don't even get me started on the new point system. WHAT A JOKE. Sorry for the rant. The sad thing is it will never change in this state. I heard Jamie Staton from channel 9 on the radio last fall, and he was saying how when he 1st started at wmur he tried making suggestions to them, but to no avail. You could tell in his voice the level of frustration he had with the nhiaa.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm

I just want to watch the games on TV...since I'm home-ridden these days. How GREAT would it be to watch NHIAA hoops on a Saturday afternoon on WMUR?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:15 am

1.NHIAA was grossly incompetent in creating this joke of a system and not test run it with dozens of scenarios from the past and theoretical ones. Are we really surprised that this bunch of fools thought they could come with a system on short notice that works better than a time test system that has worked for years right next door. Any moron knew there were going to be cross-division issues, yet they designed a system specifically designed to ignore that.

2.WMUR is never going to broadcast the tournament. They barely cover the schools in the area as it is. Again Maine has already given us the answer! Why is it they get it right, and NH constantly gets it wrong. I mean how stupid is it that the tournament games at SNHU have been videoed and shown on screens outside the gym (in the concessions area) for years, yet not available to people at home. Here in the seacoast I was treated to some great games out of Maine this year – both boys and girls. As for NH, year in and year out they go out of their way to screw things up even more!

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the ME state championships over the course of a week on public TV. Was FANTASTIC watching pure high school hoops from the comfort of my couch.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 am

WMUR used to cover the games

I remember watching them when I was kid

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

TV,Radio and Youtube

Post  chicagokid43 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 am

Indiana has most of the tourneys 700 plus games on local cable broadcast and local radio as well. Then the day after the title games you can view them via YOUTUBE> So yes NHIAA could do better.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 am

Goldenbear - I moved here 20 years ago, I have never seen them broadcast them, yet the first year I was here - saw games from ME everyday during the Feb vacation period. WMUR may indeed have done it in the past, but unless someone drops a very big bag of money on their steps, your not going to see them do it again. Their biggest 'gift' to HS athletics is their "Friday Night" football.

The NH principals, ADs and the NHIAA seem to feel they need to constantly re-invent the wheel. Unfortunately, for the kids and the fans - they think a wheel has four sides.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 am

wmur used to do the games,way back in the day.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

When?

Post  boxout on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Guys I am not doubting you but what years did WMUR broadcast high school basketball games? Are we talking early '80's with the James Best Portsmouth team or Skip Barry's BG team or Scooter ***/Carl Boggis Milford teams? Are we talking late '80's with Pat Manor at Alvirne? Once again I don't doubt you guys, but I have been in NH all my life and don't ever remember seeing live HS sports on WMUR. Now if you are talking about before WMUR was an ABC affiliate you might be right. I just would know that if it was on in the last 40 years I have never seen it.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 pm

They were on in the Drapau Alosa days,

along with New Hampshire college Penman games

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 am

Boxout,

WMUR started broadcasting Class L championships live in the early to mid 80s to some time in the 90s. I have the 1996 Championship game between Central and Winny on a VHS tape to prove it. I remember video taping at least 3 to 4 games on timer record because I couldn't make the games and watched them later that evening without knowing the score. The most memorable one for me personally was the 1992 game in which Jack Ford got his title by defeating Keene. I recorded it and watched it late on a Friday night without knowing the result. (They used to play the Class L title game on Friday's) I was never happier watching a recorded event than watching that one because I respected Jack Ford so much and he finally was the bride instead of being the brides maid.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

I believe you

Post  boxout on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 am

I really do. Do you have the James Best and Skip Barry final?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 am

No, I don't. I did not go to that game. It is definitely one of the most talked about games in NH HS basketball history.

If I could have 3 games on tape for NH HS basketball it would be:

3) 1984 Class L Championship - Skip Barry vs James Best game.

2) 1971 Class L Championship - Memorial's 64 - 58 Double OT victory over Central. Cy Young winner Mike Flanagan was the best player on Memorial.

1) 1975 Trinity vs Don Bosco - Trinity was the defending Class L Champs. Don Bosco was the 3rd ranked team in the country. 4 of the 5 Don Bosco's starters were D1 scholarship players and the other starter was a D2 player. Trinity beat them in an unbelievable atmosphere at the McHugh Gym. It was an off night for the other 3 city schools so anybody who was someone from the Queen City was there watching the game. The Trinity crowd rushed the floor like they won the national championship.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 am

T@F, I had one brother who was a sub on the 1971 Memorial hoop team,and another brother who backed up Menswar on the baseball team that Flanagan pitched on.Little known fact, I was the batboy anfd those guys were AWESOME.Flanagan,Beaurivage,Thompson,Menswar. . etc .Watching what class acts those guys were instilled my love of sports.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

GNG, you were a bat boy for Mike Flanagan? Unbelievable.

Somehow, I can envision Roy Hobbs of the NY Knights looking into the dugout in the bottom of the 9th down 1 and saying:

"Pick me out a winner, Remi"

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

His name was Flanagan

Post  GNG on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

not fanagan.What's up with your punctuation? Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Thank you for being my English moral ground there Mr Lechter.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

T&F - So WMUR's major contribution to broadcasting the NHIAA Tournament is that they showed 1 game a year?

If this is the case, it is hardly anything to get excited about.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm

JT, I wasn't saying I was excited about it. I was just stating facts to show they used to broadcast the Class L championship game. Something happened between them and the NHIAA and now they don't do it any more.

We just have to rely on the local access channels to broadcast games on tape delay or an occaisional live stream from some school's web site.

Ch. 50 from Derry used to have a nice HS basketball recap show on the weekends in the 90s that had game tape, interviews etc from the previous week. Tony Carnevale and Doc Wheeler used to host that show with a couple of other people. There have been attempts to promote HS basketball in this state before. They have run their course.

Now, WGAM and a couple of other stations do a good job along with NHN, NH Sport's Page and The Forum.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 pm

John Habib was on that show.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content