@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Is Losing on Purpose?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is Losing on Purpose?

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Is losing on purpose in the regular season to adjust your playoff seeding to your liking acceptable? Just curious what everyone thinks about this.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Cheating

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Is this just a hypothetical or are you making accusations? Please be more specific. Of course most people are against throwing games, but what are you talking about?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Not making Accusations or even using an example.

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Not making any accusations or using any examples but when you get to the last few games of the year if you are not looking at a home game instead of a road game would it be wrong to play less than all out if you liked a matchup in the playoffs better with the lower seeding? There are many examples but no reason to point any out. Just wondering how everyone feels about it. If your path seems better with a loss it is acceptable to lose or maybe just save some starters minutes to make your path more to your liking?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Losing on Purpose?

Post  JAF on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Pros or Amateurs? This really is a loaded question.... I think a few NFL teams over the last couple of years proved "resting" players doesn't work... I don't think it's ever a good idea to "throw" games, it's bad form. I think a few people over time have been arrested for it too, right? Especially those that threw games to appease some bet. Any team that thinks they cannot be beat is bound to lose. Losing on purpose to better your chances in the playoffs - what really is the better path? Eventually you have to "beat" that specific team you're trying to avoid and you could lose before you get there and how stupid will you look then especially if the team you're avoiding loses in the game you would have played them. Karma is a you know what.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

I was talking High School but

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I was talking high school but open to discuss either.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  D-4hoop411 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 am

souhegan

D-4hoop411
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down