@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Athletic funding in difficult financial times

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Athletic funding in difficult financial times

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Manchester has looked at cutting some athletic teams/programs but the community deemed it worthy.
Manchester made their choice.
I do believe, they cut back some traveling from the freshmen teams....

My point about this particular tournament was that is self-funding.

All districts need to support their community values. Manchester has struggled with a high drop out rate for awhile and many of the data indicates that freshman year is especially crucial in getting kids connected to their thru extra-curricular activities. Kids feeling connected early on in high school have a better chance at NOT dropping out. I suspect that in combination with the emotional factor helped keep frosh sports going.

Central HS in particular is very fortunate in that many graduates actively "give back" to their school. The football program received a VERY generous donation years ago that was covered in The UL. Some of the donated equipment is also used by our PE students.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Freshman tourney

Post  tarrier on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Just want to throw my 2 cents in on this...I grew up in Nashua in the 70's and went to Nashua High School in the 80's(Class of 1988) long before "the split" and the creation of Nashua North and Nashua South High Schools in the fall of 2004. I played baseball and basketball back then and was considered pretty good at both sports, but never made either varsity team at the school. I was always one of the last kids "cut" because I wasn't deemed good enough to make it by the coaches of those teams. It was always a childhood dream of mine to don the purple and white of NHS, but with over 3000 kids total and 1000 plus in my class(back then it was just 10th-12th grades in high school) it was REALLY tough to break through. Fortunately, there were other opportunities for me to play like the "Biddy" hoop programs run by Nashua Parks and Rec and CYO teams supported by the local churches. There was also several different age grouped teams at the Nashua Boys Club that I was also able to play for. Baseball was a little different because at the time, after Babe Ruth(13-15 year old league that you also had to try-out for and get "drafted" onto a team) the only chance you had to play organized ball was at the high school level and American Legion. I have to give credit to my parents who were there for me every step of the way whether it was giving me rides to practices and games, providing financial support when it was needed and just being there for me in general.

My point is, I'm very happy/lucky that I had other options to play sports outside of the high school teams when I was a kid...and I can't wait to support and cheer for my young boys who are 1 and 3 years old now if they decide to take up team sports as they get older.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Nhs class of 85

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Wow boxout is so off base

Refs are not paid on Saturday boxout as no idea about this tourney and to bash it with out any knowledge is way out of line

the unpatched refs use this tourney as their court test on Saturday

the rest of the refs are there grading them

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Priorities?

Post  basketballtime on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Your post about missing a class confused me?
As I mentioned earlier my son was denied taking a extra class this year because we did not have a extra teacher available. So maybe in your eyes I should worry more about the two freshmen that may be effected by not having a freshmen basketball program but it all comes down to priorities.

Like i mentioned in my post could he have had that class if Milford's priorities were not sinking a few million into a football stadium? And i really doubt you would trade that class he could not have over his chance of ever playing high school basketball.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

RE: Golden Bear and Tarrier

Post  boxout on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Golden Bear I knew someone was going to say, the referees don't get paid. So they don't but why are they doing this tournament? They are doing this tournament to make money, may not be at the BIG FRESHMAN TOURNAMENT, but in the future they will. To be honest, you are the one who is completely off base. You are looking at it selfishly for some reason, I repeat millions of kids ages 15-18 get cut every year, and you bring up the two or three exceptions.
Tarrier you are the exact type of player I am talking about, always the last two or three guys cut, I hate to tell all you people, but Tarrier is still alive today and actually reproducing,(YIKES), just kidding buddy. But Tarrier was dying to play on the team, I guarantee you he was hurt at the ages of 15-18. I guarantee you that the other two players were also very hurt, it is life. There are kids like Tarrier, who try out every year and never make the team, should we have made another school team for him to play on? I mean his body is still developing just like any other 13-18 year old. But, yet Tarrier still breathes today. He is actually a successful person and I doubt he was out on the streets. Tarrier took the smart approach and practiced to try and make the team. He used other avenues. He did the right thing. Did it pay off, no, but he gave that extra effort and because he is an athlete he wasn't going to quite no matter what a coach says, he practiced.
To all of you who sit there are say kids grow from Frosh to Senior year, they do I agree, again it is not just athletes that grow during that time either. If you guy think the way you do, Tarrier should be out on the streets homeless and depressed. It shocks me how I hear how terrible it is to tell a 14 year old there basketball career is over, guess what it happens every year. There are always kids who tryout every year, they have absolutely no chance of making team, but they tryout. Not saying Tarrier, I am talking about the kid who is always the first cut, does this player not have feelings? I go back to my other example and Tarrier brought it up, 3,000 kids at South, 90 basketball players, and 200 kids who got cut, not one of you has mentioned any of these kids, guess what they also have feelings and are being told their athletic careers are over.
I still don't hear how the opposing teams got to Central, did Central pay for South or whomever to go there? Of course not. You know that all schools have team funding, but they never make enough money. That is why they buy things like t-shirts, sweat shirts, etc...
One other point and this doesn't apply to Coach Wenners, but most Frosh programs are terribly run, rookie coaches, sometimes two refs show sometimes they don't. Nothing wrong with rookie coaches if they want to coach, but many Frosh coaches are not in it for the long haul. Not to mention they practice at the worst times, sometimes on the worst courts, and games are at awful times.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Every school day 7,000 teenagers become high school dropouts.

Post  basketballtime on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

With well over 7,000 kids dropping out every day you have to ask your self why? One of the biggest reasons is they have no motivation to keep them in school. Sports is one of the best ways to keep these kids interested and motivated. However its people who's thoughts are to cut, cut and cut some more sports programs that are clueless to this fact. Give me one team in high school and i will show you many kids that keep their grades and behavior in check to be on it and for that matter become a productive part of society. As we know most kids that play sports may not be as inspired to be the best in the class room most likely because it's a weakness of theirs. So to rid these programs that help kids achieve goals or for that matter give them a chance to mature and become a varsity player and better person is simply asinine!

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Class vs Sports

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I think the fact that our tax money pays for the school system and the sports programs I am sure it is easy to understand that the classes are more important to a larger group than a basketball program. No doubt having both is the better solution but when your voting public votes down the budget and the school is asked to cut cost I have no problem stating that the teacher is more important than the freshmen coach. I would love for every school that has kids interested in playing sports be able to do so but financially given the choice I would choose the class over the freshmen team. It comes down to numbers and what education is actually about. As for the football stadium, I was not involved with the fund raising but much of that money was privately funded and did get voted upon in elections just like the budget did the year after. The people that pay the taxes in the area have a right to decide to lower the funding and if and when they do that it is important for us to choose education over athletics. Not every tax payer in the community has a athlete or a student but all of them get a bill for their taxes... Just make smart choices and make sure our priorities are in check. Much of what is done with the freshmen programs could be put back on parents and families with the rec teams and travel teams so the parents of the kids are spending their money instead of tax money that could be used for all of the students instead of just twelve boys in which many will never use that skill beyond high school. Again, I would love to have every kid be able to play a sport but not in place of anything academic.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Athletic funding in difficult financial times

Post  Hoopfan4 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:33 pm

I have to say that I think this discussion has run its course. Boxout seems to want to keep this argument going to try and prove a point that so far nobody with the exception of Chikid has found any merit in (and even that was off the point that started all of this). Discussions of kids getting cut and starting other teams for them (which by the way is not even close to what anybody has said here, so another off the wall comment from Boxout) and small schools maybe not having enough money to run programs are completely off the topic that started all of this. Bottom line is that just about everybody posting feels this particular tournament, and freshman programs in general, are well worthwhile for those towns / schools that have them and participate. So by a margin of about 100 - 1 we'll have to agree to disasgree. Regardless of where you stand, how about we just end this thread by wishing all of the freshman teams and players ending their seasons this week best of luck in the tournament and in the basketball / non-basketball roads that lay ahead.

Now...onto the rest of the varsity season...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum