@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Suspensions and Basketball

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Im BAck..

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:14 pm

My point was simple, we have swung in the other direction. Twenty years ago if a athlete did something the coach would come in and sweet talk the principal and promise he would discipline the player and teach him a lesson and the athlete would never miss a beat, go to college and get similar treatment and eventually in trouble with the police.
I unlike some of you do not think that the kids are that much worse as far as drugs or alcohol. Except for the fact that they get caught now by cops instead of parents and as soon as it is public it is an issue. When I was young if someone had a beer party the cops showed up and called all the parents to get the kids and the parents did the punishment. Maybe the system now has less trust in the parents and sometimes rightfully so. However I do think sometimes kids could just get caught in the wrong spot with the wrong people and it gets blown into something more than it is because the police are called. I am not defending the student as they know the rules and should be following them but the process after is inconsistent and could use some work in my mind. I think it is scary that a school can take away a entire year from a player for a mistake that while sever was one lapse in judgement.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspensions and Basketball

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:31 pm

So you're saying we should stick with the policies and protocol we had in the 70's? That is your point? I'm still confused.

Times change, ways things are done is changed.

Tulliver has stated it, I re-stated it just 2 posts ago - this kids are playing and representing their schools, thus the vested interest. Judgment is passed on Professional athletes for illegal acts they commit off the court and field ALL THE TIME. The committal of the crime had nothing to do with their "job" or who they represent in their sport (this is key - who they represented). But the team they represented (aka the school/community in this case) passed judgment, suspended them, etc. for what they felt was appropriate.

Aside from all I said above...It's the right thing to do. I'm sorry if you don't agree that substance abuse by 15-18 year olds is something that needs to be acted upon, harshly, and lessons be taught so these children can grow up and lead fulfilling lives, but I, and I'm sure many others on the board do.

You're not going to find many backers, and this thread seems like an effort to drum up controversy and discussion about something that really doesn't warrant discussion. If you think there should be a better "method" for handling these situations, that's fine, but I'm fairly certain that the individuals that are elected to the positions in the school board by the communities using the democratic process that makes our country the best in the world are the best people for the job. And I'd encourage you to elect officials that suit your views and/or attend a PTA or School Board meeting to voice your gripes.

You may want to bring more than just swimmies to that meeting however.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:33 pm

The negative threads on this board are starting to wear me down. What's wrong with discussing some of the best performances of the season, teams, and players in a positive fashion for a little? I'm locking this thread because for the life of me I can't think of any response that would warrant additional conversation on the issue of schools being more lenient on high school KIDS who have abused their student athlete contract and/or been caught using drugs/alcohol or other illegal substances, or for that matter committing other crimes.

Private Message (PM) me if you have an issue with this, please don't start any other threads. To PM, simply click on my name on the left and view my profile. Halfway down will be a small icon with a "PM". Only I (or whoever you PM) will see the message.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum