@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Goffstown Coaching Situation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goffstown Coaching Situation

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:51 am

Let's cut right to the chase on this situation. All you have to do is connect the dots on this moribund happening in the lovely town of Goffstown to see what's going on. The most succinct point I can make about this situation is everything you read about the Goffstown girl's team is about a team that:

WON THE DIVISION 2 STATE GIRL'S TITLE

Seriously?? If this pathetic situation was happening for the State Champion, then what does this say when you look at this through clear glasses and not rose colored ones?

Well......

.......Good luck finding a replacement coach for this team, given the composition of the team for next season.

Goffstown parents air concerns over coach's firing
By JOE DUBALL
New Hampshire Union Leader

GOFFSTOWN — Parents upset by the recent resignation of Goffstown High girls’ basketball coach Deanna Goodwin aired their concerns Wednesday night at a meeting with school officials.

Goodwin, who also teaches at the high school, led the Grizzlies to a Division II state championship earlier this month. She has refused to comment on her resignation.

Heather Britton-Doucette, whose daughter, Casey, is a junior on the basketball team, said Goodwin did much to help grow members of the team both on and off the court.

Britton-Doucette said she had met with Deanna Goodwin after her resignation and Goodwin told her she felt “harassed and uncomfortable” within her working environment.

Many parents at the meeting, organized by SAU 19 superintendent Brian Balke, alluded to the abrupt resignation of former girls’ soccer coach Eric Romein in 2013.

Parents have said that both Romein and Goodwin were forced out by Goffstown High Principal Frank McBride, who had daughters on both teams.

McBride, a former basketball coach at Goffstown, said he and Goodwin had a disagreement in the middle of the season about her in-game coaching.

“We had a conversation that clearly, from my perspective and her perspective, did not go well,” McBride said to an audience that included not only parents, but Goffstown athletic director Steve Fountain and a few school board members. “That conversation ended and I chose to give space, which was probably a poor choice on my part. I should have tried to have lots of communication instead of creating that divide, which made it uncomfortable for others when our rituals changed. I think people perceived that as a lack of support.” McBride also pointed to what he and Balke both deemed a bad exchange between McBride’s wife and Goodwin’s mother that spectators and players witnessed after the Grizzlies’ first-round playoff win.

McBride’s wife did apologize. Afterward, Goodwin went to Fountain with her concerns, but Balke said the administration did not address or resolve the issue.

As far as Balke and the administration are concerned, Goodwin’s resignation and that of her sister, assistant varsity basketball coach Katherine Goodwin, came of their own accord. “My human resource director and I met with the two of them for over two hours,” Balke said. “We had a long conversation on many aspects of the season, including their perspectives on the season, what they experienced and what they saw in the girls. It was a very productive, honest conversation.

“The next day, Saturday, I received an e-mail that I did not see until the following Monday. It was Deanna saying she had resigned as coach.” Balke said both Deanna and Katherine Goodwin were invited to Wednesday’s meeting. He said he did not let Deanna Goodwin simply walk away. “I reached out to her asking if we could talk about any way to make this situation better ... and bring this all to resolution,” Balke said. “We did not have that meeting.” Many parents, including Britton-Doucette, suggested a third-party be engaged to give an unbiased assessment of the situation.

Balke said the administration would look into bringing in some type of outside auditor, and that parents would be updated on that decision in the next two weeks. Balke also offered parents the opportunity to meet privately with him to share their concerns.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: Goffstown Coaching Situation

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:46 am

It is very interesting to read the comment section concerning this situation in the UL article. Also interesting to note that the support/criticism in the comment section is 100% to 0%.

TOM DONALDSON said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 5:31 am
McBride shows repeatedly poor management skills and leadership skills for which he and the SAU should be utterly ashamed. The SAU should thoroughly investigate McBride. The SAU should prohibit McBride's wife and McBride himself from attending any and all future SAU sports events. And maybe someone can buy a tight muzzle for McBride's wife.

THOMAS BARRETT said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 5:51 am
Maybe McBride's kids should go to Manchester Central--where they live and not take up "space" on a team where they don't live..

BOB FFROST said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 7:00 am
Headline says fired. Story says resigned. First rule of good leadership: don't mess with the coaches who get it done.

BONNIE ROY said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 7:33 am
Obviously the coach wasn't giving the Principals kids the preferential treatment they so deserved....

TOM DONALDSON said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 7:47 am
Balke should put a short leash on McBride, and the taxpayers of Goffstown should put an even shorter leash on Balke. Both should be fired.

ARTHUR TITUS said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:03 am
Coaches like the Goodwins do not come along that often. Lost the state title last year and won it this year - first time since 1988 - what's not to like. They had the respect of the players, parents and the school. Why were they forced to resign ? That question must be answered if the girls program is to go anywhere. Maybe it's a good thing that there are no McBrides on the football team.

LEONARD CANNON said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:03 am
The SAU will do their "investigation" the results of which will never be known. The whole incident will be buried. No one will ever be held accountable. No one will have to give up their positions except the two exceptional coaches who already have. The parents will be listened to as a matter of procedure and then completely ignored. The next coach will be selected by the very people who are responsible for this injustice. Players will be selected to make the team and the all star squad causing parents and team mates to scratch their heads in disbelief. And nothing will change, ever. Trust me on this one. I have witnessed this never ending situation of school sports in Goffstown from close range. I fell sorry for Coach Goodwin and Coach Romein. I've never met them but it appears they were great, dedicated and honest coaches. None of that matters unfortunately. Nothing will change.

ALFRED LIVELY said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:48 am
It is not good that the SAU allowed the principal's children to attend his school. He intended to give them preference. Other more skilled players were cut from the teams to make room for them. When they were not playing, the coaches were forced out. This is just WRONG.

DAVID ALTON said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 10:53 am
McBride has needed to be fired for some time. But I suppose someone needs to keep the fools employed.

D.G. LEACH said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:02 am
This guy sounds like a real jerk. He has no right to over step his bounds to a coach about coaching! That is what an AD is for....When you have a great coach who wins,what in the Hell could he be disagreeing with? Oh yeah his kid making the team.

RITA LAMY said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:20 am
Sounds as though this issue has been ongoing for some time. At times a Principal believes they are a god and can say and do anything which also seems to transfer to their spouses, and of course their spoiled children. The children should not be allowed to go to the school where their parent is the Principal - especially if they don't live in Goffstown. Unfortunately, what we as parents, observers, women's sports supporters, well doesn't really matter does it?! Lip service will be paid and nothing will change. Very sad indeed.

JENNIFER DELORME said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:31 am
Females in the Goffstown School District, yet again are negatively impacted by the forced transition of talented women coaches who cultivated pride and solidarity for GHS and our Goffstown community. This quick change mirrors the abrupt end of Coach Romein's, 15 years as the Girls HS coach. Parallels in both situations – the interference of a principal’s use of power to benefit his own children at the expense of a team, the GHS students, and the Goffstown Community. Advocating for our own children is quite notable and something we can all relate to; however doing so from your position as a public official and from one who is responsible for the well being of other parents children is negligent and a total corruption of power. To add, these two coaching changes, in two different sports, comes at a high emotional cost; but a high financial cost as well – to a tune of 80K. This is the approximate amount of tuition costs for children attending Goffstown school district who live outside our town. Such a benefit has been afforded to the McBride family by the school district and Goffstown residents. Normally, such a perk is not contested however, Mr. McBride has not demonstrated appropriate appreciation or respect for such generosity. Instead, he and the administration is requiring us to: “expense” our spirit, support a message that these talented and committed coaches are expendable, and most concerning, they are asking us to convey a message that our GHS female athletes are expendable. When did it become OK to allow our female athletes to receive inequitable and different coaching experiences afforded to their male teammates? Title IX has been an issue within our GHS district for the past 6 years of my experience of girls in our district, review the history of turnover in the female sports in our small community; the disparities in funding, and the different messages communicated. I believe we can make a change, and that our students in our district are worthy of the tax payers and parents uniting to ensure that respect, value and inspiring leadership is occuring within our sports community; but even more so, within our school district.

BONNIE ROY said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 11:41 am
I for one applaud the Goodwin sisters. Good job of outing what appears to be the problem at GHS. Now hopefully something positive will come of this.

THOMAS BARRETT said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 1:45 pm
God forbid that a teacher gives his kids less than an A!!! Non-renewed??

TOM DONALDSON said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Goffstown Selectpersons Adams, Pierce, Brown, Lemay and Georgantis should order an investigation of McBride, Fountain and Balke completely independent of the SAU or the GHS. It is to be hoped that the Goodwin sisters bring a Lawsuit against McBride, Fountain, Balke, the SAU and GHS, which would force the entire McBride family to testify under oath, and under the pain and penalty of perjury. Then "let all of the poisons, which lurk in the mud, hatch out." Robert Graves, I CLAUDIUS

LEXXIE LEWIN said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 3:28 pm
As a college freshman who just graduated from GHS, I was a co-captain of the FIRST Robotics team at the high school that also partnered with West High School. Granted, the school did a lot by letting us use the wood shop as a build space, however we won our one of our two competitions last year, placed in the top 6 teams at the New England Regional competition, and was even invited to the World Championship. We received no pep rally, no day off from school, we were not even mentioned at graduation by McBride in his speech. This year, some tools that we stored in the shed by the back lot were stolen, and the high school did not even try to file a police report, or make much of an effort to help us (these are tools we then had to use money from our own budget to replace). McBride doesn't just neglect certain sports teams, or favor his children, he neglects clubs and students throughout the school. He's done some good things for the school but he's not well rounded in his support, and I'm glad to see it finally come to light.

SHALEIGH FREDERICK said Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 3:51 pm
There have been problems with the girls basketball team for several years. I know of parents who have met with Balke (after attempting to resolve with Fountain and McBride) without satisfaction or resolution. There once was a terrific AAU (traveling basketball) organization that was alive and well in the greater Goffstown, Weare, New Boston and Dunbarton area. It was call Twisters. Back when McBride's children were at the Middle school, they competed against AAU kids at tryouts and it suddenly became a bad thing to have come from Twisters. Kids were told to not talk about it and definitely don't wear any Twisters warm up shirts to tryouts or practices. Parents perception was that being part of that organization was a "bad thing" despite having wonderful experiences from dedicated role models and coaches within the Twisters org. It was widely talked about this stemmed directly from Fountain and 'McBride (McBride's daughters, who didn't play AAU, tried out and made coveted spots over girls that were playing nearly year round basketball). Many of the players that helped bring home the state title have roots in that organization but Goffstown isn't home to any AAU org now. It has been snuffed out and, as a community, we will feel that years down the road. I feel it is safe to say that it must have been difficult to coach and do the right things when your leader's boss has daughters on the team. I've watched many games this year and the Principal's daughter dribbles....A LOT, leading to turnovers. Imagine coaching to that.? Consider the dynamics with teenage girls observing and being part of it? That doesn't sound like a lot of fun for anyone involved.Mr. Balke is, from my observation, a stand up guy. This situation is a test to his leadership. I am really hoping he does the right thing and digs into this further. Patronize the parents by seeming to listen and brush it under the rug and I assure you it will come back in the form of a wild fire. My hope is he exhibits strong leadership and digs into the merit and conduct of both the A.D. and the Principal so we do not lose more great talent (player or coach) down the road.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 pm

That is the saddest example I can ever remember set by a Principal and and Athletic Director. They don't even dispute the facts. I would hope this would not taint Coach Goodwins coaching prospects going forward.

We wonder why there is such turnover in coaching, and things like this are allowed to occur.

Experience would tell me that nothing is going to be done to wrong this event, very frustrating

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:16 am

IMO: Probably should have just left links to the UL postings rather than cut-n-pasting...

As for the overall situation - while in this case it's people in power - the issues coaches deal with from parents in general though is a huge factor in turnover. While not the exact same situation, Londonderry's "situation" a few years ago springs to mind and maybe even to a different degree Keene. But I'm sure it happens far more often than we're all ever made aware. Some coaches say they have a switch to tune it out, but you know they hear it.

Those signs in the gym that essentially say a spectator's role is to come cheer and support their team are largely ignored especially when someone thinks their cherub has the chance to play in college. Without going down that rat hole again, in the end not that many get the opportunity. Perhaps it's more of a societal problem with entitled athletes *and* parents thinking, no believing others owe them something just because they are labelled as a "superstar", because they "do something", or are in some position of power (president of the local little league's son gets to be on the all star team even though he cannot catch a ball thrown by his team mate).

A good administrator will know how to contact the Goodwins and I'm sure they know "for whom" they'll work with/for in the future. The "coaching world" is a small enough group and the good ones know where they want to go. It's a sorry day for the young ladies in the Goffstown basketball program. Looks like though NH Sports Page has a very interesting entry into coverage of girls HS hoops if they're getting the support they need for that...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:27 am

Jaf: I LOVE cut n pasting. Here's some more comments Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

JAMES E FIEST said Friday, April 1, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Sounds like this is an ongoing matter that has yet to be decided. "Balke said the (SAU 19) administration did not address or resolve the issue." I'm sure that was not the only related incident or issue. My question is: why not?

MICHELLE TAYLOR said Friday, April 1, 2016 at 2:13 pm
First all lets say that his children shouldn't be going to that school anyways and when and how does a principal now decide how a coach will coach a team. I would hope after reading this article that the selectman and the school board look into this issue and resolve it. Your losing a great coach who is a positive role model for the young woman.

KAREN CYR said Friday, April 1, 2016 at 4:07 pm
There's two sides to every story. Remember, there's a young girl who is caught in the middle of this small town drama.

ALFRED LIVELY said Friday, April 1, 2016 at 5:39 pm
The second year the girls were in Goffstown at the Middle school. The try out for the girls team were held. And the HS varsity coach and her sister show up. We thought they were to help select the teams. All they did was point out McBrides daughter. No discussion about team coordination. To have a good program that is needed. The coach did not select the smaller less skilled girl. Next year the coach was forced out. By the messenger Fountain. Seems to me a control issue. Sadly the losers are the Goffstown players.

BRAD MATHEWS said Friday, April 1, 2016 at 6:28 pm
Alfred, could you re-state your post. I am confused the way it is written. thanks.

ALFRED LIVELY said Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 2:16 am
Brad the long and the short of it are.Unless there is an independent investigation. Out side the SAU19. There is no hope for any coach in the Goffstown System.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:29 am

And once again I reiterate:

This sordid controversy is about a team that just........

WON THE STATE TITLE

scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Clancy on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 pm

I don't remember Frank McBride as a coach? Was he successful? Just when I thought Manchester had the crazy market cornered.

In fairness to the involved people, the Principals daughter should be left out. Also the AD should sort of get a pass. If the Principal forces out a coach, the coach loses just her part time job. If the AD stands up to him and gets forced out, he loses his lively hood. (though boy does he look weak)

I can think of 10 teams right off the top of my head that would love to Coach Goodwin.

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Frank McBride has abused his position for years. He was an ok coach, coached some talented kids back in the mid to late 90's. He had them competitive in Class L too. Since he has been the principal, he has used his position to sit on classification and executive council for the NHIAA. Gee, they just happen to be the original cut off for DI when they made the switch. He lobbied for the cut off to be below 1200 once he became principal instead of the 1000 it had been since the late 70's. There were a few years where Goffstown and Pembroke were Class L back on the mid to late 90s. I saw him deAl with Rowien (who deserved to be fired... he was brutal with kids, coaches and officials) and he was a wet noodle until his AD could not deflect the calls from officials, other schools and parents. As fad as this, it might cost McBride his job.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:40 am

In today's UL:

http://www.unionleader.com/Coachs-resignation-discussed-at-Goffstown-school-board-meeting

Here is an interesting part of the article:

Parents have said that Goodwin was forced out by Goffstown High Principal Frank McBride, who had daughters on both teams. McBride, a former basketball coach at Goffstown, said he and Goodwin had a disagreement in the middle of the season about her in-game coaching.

Heather Britton-Doucette, whose daughter, Casey, is a junior on the basketball team, said she had met with Goodwin after her resignation and Goodwin told her she felt “harassed and uncomfortable” within her working environment.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Unfortunately, this happens all the time. . . we were just talking about this a couple of years ago in Londonderry, with their boys basketball and football coach. Shocked

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:17 am

Word has it there might be an article on this situation coming in the near future on the NH Notebook.

Stay tuned......

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Here's Jeremy's article on the situation:

http://www.nhnotebook.com/2016/04/goffstown-girls-basketball-controversy.html#more

The article is full of good information from all sides. After reading the article the situation seems even more convoluted. I guess the school board meeting might clarify a lot of things........ Maybe.

I know in my mind, after talking to a few people who know what's going on and has been going on in Goffstown, the situation is as clear as Waterford crystal.

All you have to do is connect the dots and you can put this Goffstown girl's basketball situation in a nice clear bowl of crystal.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Clancy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:32 am

Great article, though only one side is talking. I would really like to hear Coach Goodwins thoughts, but as a teacher in the school that may not happen.

The more I hear about the situation the more it looks bad for Frank McBride. I think it is clear he was stepping over his boundary as father of a player on a team.

Also as former Falcon has said he has bullied the NHIAA to allow Goffstown to stay out of D1 for years now Changing the school limit from 1000 to a floating number that keeps them in D2.

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Clancy on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:32 am

sorry i hit submit twice

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Here's a couple of comments on the NHN comment section with the Goffstown article:

Anonymous Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:05:00 PM EDT
I would hope that a professional educator would not be using expletives in a report or interview. I'm sorry, not very professional on Mr. McBride's part at all. Act the part. A coach or athlete would be sanctioned by the NHIAA for this. Will they take action on Mr.McBride be removed from his NHIAA committee seats? He really should show more class.

Joe Manzi Friday, April 8, 2016 at 11:30:00 PM EDT
What's up with the language of the principal? that alone calls his leadership and ability to be a role model into question.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:00 am

From NHN:

Former Student Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 4:29:00 PM EDT
Sounds like McBride, Balke, and Fountain all drink the same Koolaid from the same good old boys cup. Lawyer up coach Goodwin

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:32 am

They had the meeting last night with the Goffstown school board and the parents to talk about the resignation of Coach Goodwin.

http://www.unionleader.com/Goffstown-High-to-eye-all-of-its-athletic-programs-in-wake-of-hoop-coachs-resignation

Well, the end result of the meeting you could term as:

"Sweeping Goffstown dirt under a Goffstown rug"

I guess this is the lesser of all the evils with this situation. They are going to "pursue a comprehensive evaluation of all the athletic programs at the high school."

Hmmmm.... pursue a comprehensive evaluation of the situation. OK, it looks like the Goffstown people in charge, when given the irrefutable facts of a young female coach, who coaches her girl's basketball team to a state title over a team they had lost to by 20 points 2 weeks earlier, then resigns under a dark cloud.........the Goffstown people in charge decide not to pursue an investigation of this situation. Rather, they decide to:

"pursue a comprehensive evaluation of all athletic programs at the high school."

You can see through this moribund situation like a slice of swiss cheese.

Here's your quote of the article. It comes from a New Boston father who has had 3 daughters at Goffstown HS:

“The reasons why we’re here is because there have been years of complaints made and nothing’s been done about that,” said Roch Larochelle, a New Boston resident who has had three daughters at the school.

Larochelle encouraged the board to “talk deeply” about the “culture that exists” at the school.

“I would ask that you not make your legacy one of arrogance, apathy and inaction and a lack of accountability for what’s happened here,” he said.

The key words are:

LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT'S HAPPENED HERE

Just a sad situation for Goffstown girl's basketball, which became sadder last night at the school board meeting.

Gee, I wonder how many people have applied for the Goffstown girl's varsity coaching position?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am

Gee, Goffstown now has company with regards to firing a coach that has won a championship:

http://www.unionleader.com/High-Schools/High-school-baseball-coach-fired-no-reason-given-20160517

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 pm

The Windham coaching story made USA Today:

A respected New Hampshire baseball coach was fired Monday despite a 10-1 record at the midpoint of the 2016 season less than a year after he led the program to a state title. Now he just wants to know why he was let go.

As reported by the North Andover Eagle-Tribune, Windham Schools interim superintendent Tina McCoy fired the high school’s baseball coach, Jason Matthews, at a hastily called Monday meeting. At the time of his dismissal, Windham held a 10-1 record, pushing his career mark to 38-11 in his three seasons on campus

Almost immediately after Matthews’ dismissal, his team lost its second game of the season, a 9-2 setback to Goffstown. An early report from the New Hampshire Union-Leader claimed that assistant coach Billy Beauchesne will fill Matthews’ role for the remainder of the season.

“The players just weren’t into it,” Matthews told the Eagle-Tribune. “The whole timing was very unfortunate.

“I really have no answers as to why this happened. I would say it had something to do with parental craziness. I’ve been dealing with parent issues all season long.”

The specific nature of that ‘parental craziness’ has yet to be revealed. Whatever it is, it must be truly remarkable to justify a midseason dismissal of a wildly successful coach, all without justification to the coach or general public.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 am

I'd say unbelievable, but sadly it's not.

Londonderry, Goffstown, Windham(Hockey too according to Eagle/Tribune), Farmington (from UL comments), plus a few more "wink, wink" where a coach was removed or not renewed after the season...

I think the UL comments nailed it though - parental involvement and expectations of that D1 scholarship for all the money/time... I think it's cowardly to not give a reason. The person in the position of power should at least give cause to the person being fired even if that isn't for public consumption (as it shouldn't be). If the removed individual then wishes to share that, they can. Hiding behind "at will employment" is utter BS.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 am

JAF wrote:I'd say unbelievable, but sadly it's not.

Londonderry, Goffstown, Windham(Hockey too according to Eagle/Tribune), Farmington (from UL comments), plus a few more "wink, wink" where a coach was removed or not renewed after the season...

I think the UL comments nailed it though - parental involvement and expectations of that D1 scholarship for all the money/time... I think it's cowardly to not give a reason. The person in the position of power should at least give cause to the person being fired even if that isn't for public consumption (as it shouldn't be). If the removed individual then wishes to share that, they can. Hiding behind "at will employment" is utter BS.

JAF is right.

What this continually boils down to is the delusional expectations kids, parents, and communities have on the coaches, programs, and winning. We see it regardless of the sport; soccer, basketball, baseball hockey, football, etc…

I’m sorry, but we have discussed this before here in this forum. Kids, parents, and coaches (primarily AAU & club coaches) who have delusional expectations of kids from New Hampshire playing DI or getting scholarships. Look at the PA kids who won all those games and the basketball titles. Is Timbas even playing hoop? Welch is a deep bench player at a GA JUCO. After all the hullaballoo what good did it do?

We see it in NH now with football and WMUR investing their resources with Friday Night Football when a small handful of kids will go play DI football and most end up playing DIII. Now we want to treat the sport like this is Texas, Georgia, Florida or Pennsylvania.
Baseball has produced a small handful of players over the years in the majors and DI players are few and far between. Look at the rosters of the DII and DIII college programs in NH. There are a handful of NH kids playing DII while MA, CT, NJ load the rosters and the NH kids are primarily playing DIII.

The facts are all on the NCAA website for people to look at – we are all just ignorant. Kids are 5x more likely to get an academic scholarship to school than an athletic scholarship.

Scholarship facts from the NCAA: Basketball scholarships allowed on a team per season for DI is 13 with a max roster size of 16. DII those numbers change to 10 scholarships and roster size of 17. Most schools split the scholarships to get kids money.

Baseball is even worse odds with DI rosters maxed at 35 with only 27 counters. Meaning that they can only have a total of 27 guys getting money on a 35 man roster. Oh, and they only get 12 scholarships. So the school will split those 12 scholarships to get 24 kids money in some cases.  DII has 9 scholarships for 18 counters on a max roster of 38.

Soccer rosters in DI & DII max at 28 & 29 respectively and they only have 10 (D1) and 9 (DII) for scholarships. Worst odds for being a scholarship athlete in any sport, but the club soccer scene is the largest non-school participation sport in NH.

Facts are facts. Kids in NH are rarely DI or DII scholarship level athletes.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 on Thu May 26, 2016 11:21 am

A little more added to this situation if anyone has looked at the Goffstown Employment page. . . they look like they are cleaning house. . .

GOFFSTOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT
GHS CO-CURRICULAR SPORTS ACTIVITIES 2016-2017

Qualifications: Experience in coaching and/or advising helpful.
Stipend: In accordance with Master Agreement
Starting Date: Starting date based on individual activity

Returning coaches please email a letter of intent to Steve Fountain, Athletic Director. If you have not previously coached for the Goffstown School District, the Application (above) must be completed and returned to Steve Fountain for review. You should complete the application and save it to your computer, then email Mr. Fountain and attach the application. Any questions related to this process can be directed to Human Resources at 603-497-4818.

Goffstown High School

Baseball - Varsity
Baseball - Junior Varsity
Basketball - Varsity (Girls)
Basketball - Junior Varsity (Girls)
Basketball – Freshmen (Boys)
Basketball – Freshmen (Girls)
Cheer - Fall
Cheer - Varsity
Cheer - Junior Varsity
Cross Country
Cross Country Assistant