New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Friday 12/18

+3
OntheBlock
NH12345
CoachP
7 posters

Go down

Friday 12/18 Empty Friday 12/18

Post  NH12345 Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:52 am

Here are the D1 match-ups for tomorrow night. . . I am only putting D1 because I don't know enough about the other divisions, but please include input from all divisions.

Concord @ BG-- I'm excited to see how Migs handles losing Zimmerman to prep school. I have heard some good things about Yanis. I heard that Concord has a couple of Frosh that could be seeing big minutes. . . it will be a good battle in the C-Dome. BG Wins.

Dover @ Alvirne-- Is Dan Brown healthy yet after his football injury? If so, I think Alvirne will be able to sneak out a win again what I am sure is a well coached Dover team. Alvirne wins.

Exeter @ Trinity-- It will be interesting to watch Lemeiux's team perform early in the season. They have a lot of leadership back and everyone is talking about their Frosh point guard. Trinity will be a tough team to beat down the stretch, unfortunately though, Exeter will be a tough team to beat all year. Holmes and Morrisette are the best backcourt in the state and they should impress the entire night. Exeter wins.

Memorial @ Winnacunnet-- If Winny is capable of playing 32 minutes they are pretty good. Who is playing for Memorial? Winny wins.

Merrimack @ Spaulding-- The two best defensive coaches in the state battling each other. This game could finish 31-29 Shocked . Merrimack will be on the 31 side though. Merrimack wins.

Nashua North @ Salem-- North needs to replace some height they lost from last year, but they have guys who love the big stage. I have not seen much of Salem, but I know Coach McLaughlin will have his team ready to go. Salem wins.

Pinkerton @ South-- I know South has a lot of guys back from a very successful season a year ago, but Pinkerton has reloaded and they are ready for another run at Durham. Morris is up to 6'5" and learned how to score off the bounce. Combine that with Rizzo and the fact I'm a Pinkerton guy and I have my pick for tomorrow. The Academy wins.

Londonderry @ Bedford-- Hughes v. Coleman all night long. . . it should be a fun game to watch. Another interesting battle will be the senior Gendron v. the soph Corey. After watching Coleman last year, he is tough to go against, but I think Bedford has a better supporting cast. Bedford wins.

Saturday, 12/19
Keene @ Pembroke-- Keene is going to be a team no one wants to see. Coach Sontag has done a fantastic job with the program out there and this year they will take another step forward. Keene Wins.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Friday 12/18 Empty Re: Friday 12/18

Post  SeacoastDad Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:14 pm

A top-tier D-2 matchup tonight right out of the gate with Portsmouth at West.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:31 pm

The Portsmouth at West game is probably one of the Top 10 games of this upcoming season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:43 am

Thoughts from last night:

Mild upset could be the key term from D1 boys: Exeter over Trinity. Bedford over Londonderry.

And in D2: Timby 48 Coe Brown 47............................ I'll call this a SURPRISE win, right Bosco ??? cheers

North 75 Salem 73 - very good game. I reiterate that I think North will be better than some pre season prognosticators thought they would be. Hale had a monster game. Ronnie Silva had a nice game also. He hit some big 3's and had some athletic slashes to the hoop. Don't sleep on Salem, even though they lost. The Blue Devils have a tough team and they have:

Coach Rob Mac - Perennial COY Very Happy

It's always the start of my season when I get to say the above statement.

I caught the 2nd half of the Portsmouth - West game. Nice drama with big plays by good players. Both team's back courts are solid. Christian Peete made some big plays down the stretch offensively and defensively. West turned the ball over too many times in a key stretch in the 4th quarter to give Portsmouth a cushion which West couldn't overcome. The quick West back court players took Graham out of his usual game. Jacobee Burpee has a lot of upside as the West point guard. Glynn was a beast last night battling the 2 West Bigs all night. Glynn is one of the best Bigs in the state.

Memo to Keenan Caron and any Big that likes to hang softly around the 3 point arc all night:

Lace up your sneaks tighter, go into the paint and Do Your Job. I get frustrated watching Bigs in HS basketball softly hanging around the arc and tossing up clankers for 32 minutes. If West wants to go to UNH and be in the Final Four and hang a banner this season, then Caron has to battle and be more productive in the offensive paint. If he goes soft on offense, West won't make it to UNH next March. Glynn outplayed Caron and was a stalwart in the paint and this was the difference in this game. The opposing back courts negated each other. Glynn played like a true Big while the West Bigs did not and this was the reason the Clippers came away with the big W.

So, you have very good back courts at West and Portsmouth. Lebanon and Brady have very good back courts. It should be fun when these 4 teams match up with each other and there are good match ups a plenty with the back court players.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Surprise to most, but not to all T&F. Going under the radar is just fine.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  CoachP Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:25 pm

I was at the Pinkerton-Nashua game on Friday. You could tell it was the first game for both teams. Teams as a whole have some issues to work out. I do not see Nashua as a top 4 team - 6 or 7 maybe. DJ Frechette is never afraid to shoot the ball. I was most surprise at the improvement of Pinkerton player Morris. I think he had a triple double. Definitely the best player on the court. I am looking forward to his match up with my man at Trinity.

CoachP
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  OntheBlock Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Coach P, I'm confused by your Morris comments. Been at every Pinkerton game. He didnt play in the jamboree. was inconsistent in the 3 way scrimmage. He hasnot looked as good as he has in the past. Several turnovers Friday night. Hesitant to shoot. Some missed defensive assignments.
Morris is definitely an important factor on the team. Romick and Rizzo looked solid. Team hurt by Olson's foul trouble in game 1.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:30 pm

I agree with ontheblock, Morris was not at his best. . . that being said he still managed 11 points and brought down a bunch of boards. Once this offense settles in and gets used to life without Geo they are going to be very good. Morris, Romick, Rizzo and Olson all have potential to be all state players. From what I saw it was an offense still trying to figure each other out. . . that is common after losing a point guard like Geo. Give them a couple of weeks and they are going to be firing on all cylinders. The Academy is definitely a top 4 team come the end of the season.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:49 pm

BoscoD39 wrote:Surprise to most, but not to all T&F.  Going under the radar is just fine.  

I'm confused Bosco. You seem to be stuck in this surprise vortex. You had a surprise team in D2 pre-season Wink , then I believe this surprise team wins and you say it's not a surprise to the Owl's nest Wink

It would be nice if some day you "surprise' me with one of those pizzas from that pizza place on 125 you're always talking about santa

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CoachP Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:05 pm

On the Block , Just stating my objective opinion of the game I watched. I believe your comments are not so objective having your son on the team and listening to your comments at the game. I do not believe this forum should be putting down these kids with negative comments. I'm a Trinity alum, former player and coach. Only objective and positive feedback from me.

CoachP
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  OntheBlock Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Not putting him down. Just not understanding your opinion. Brennan had his best showing of the season tonight. Great hands, solid takes to the basket, and fantastic from the FT line.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:30 am

Jeez only one game in so far... We're 8-9 games in down here in NC ;-) Football be damned - they start basketball on time! I believe practices started first week of November. Games started right after Thanksgiving. Oh and football season - at least 11 games - playoffs can push you to 15 games! Football finals ended last weekend.

Preseason basketball scrimmages were done before Thanksgiving. They do small jamborees at multiple sites. All officials here must work 3 scrimmages (gratis). So you can have a 1st year at a scrimmage working with someone that's been doing it 20+ years. It's part of the "rating" system. At least you let your "newbies" know how difficult a V game can be. I worked 4 games on one Saturday (counted as one scrimmage) where there was a *section* set aside for college coaches coming in to watch the games. Got to work another scrimmage in the gym where one Stephan Curry used to play! Very, very small stands section. They say the place was always banged out and extremely loud.

Varsity is all 3 man crews. There are 4 games in one day - both JV and then both V. One crew for JV and one crew for V. The fun starts at 330P and goes into the night. JV games are 6-7 minute quarters. If you're running late you cut the quarters, halftime, etc. GV is supposed to start at 630, but like NH a lot of that depends on whether the visiting team arrives on time and how much hacking is done/allowed in the JV games.

One constant between NH and NC - the parents still know more than the officials or the coaches. Nothing like daddy leatherlung letting you know you missed the 3 seconds, but with that southern twang ;-) Parents still coach their kids from the stands.

Anyway, it's fun to read what's happening in NH Hoop still... Happy Holidays to all!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:04 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:
BoscoD39 wrote:Surprise to most, but not to all T&F.  Going under the radar is just fine.  

I'm confused Bosco. You seem to be stuck in this surprise vortex. You had a surprise team in D2 pre-season Wink , then I believe this surprise team wins and you say it's not a surprise to the Owl's nest Wink

It would be nice if some day you "surprise' me with one of those pizzas from that pizza place on 125 you're always talking about santa

I'd say The Owl's Nest is the only place this team won't be a surprise, but they will be for everyone else is all. Best pizza in the area, Fremont Pizzeria, don't miss it. Smile

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26 am

Well, I won't miss it if you get me a pizza from there Bosco. Just have it delivered to some HS court in the near future. If possible, add some holiday cookies. I really like Christmas tree cookies. Red sprinkled ones are preferred, but green will be acceptable also.

santa santa santa

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 am

Funny I thought zebras were color blind. cheers cheers cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Actually, most have HD 1080 - 240 eyesight. Wink

Bosco, you'll be interested in this as your vantage point on the court is rather close sometimes. Here are my 5 favorite basketball Christmas carols that have been played on basketball radio:

5) "Call It Both Ways" by Johnny Mathis

4) "You're Missing a Good Game" by Amy Grant

3) "He Has Been Doing That The Whole Game" by Andy Williams

2) "OVER THE BACK !! and Through The Hills to Grandma's House We Go" by Karen Carpenter

And of course the all time favorite by Nat King Cole:

santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa  santa  santa

"Do You Realize the Team Foul Count is 7 to 2?"

santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa santa

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:35 am

No way the basketball uniform police are color blind! We *definitely* know our White, Black, Beige, or predominant uniform jersey colors. Beyond that we know when any player has any color that doesn't match his/her team mates. We can spot a hair pin at 50 feet - even a dark one in dark hair! We can tell you what happens when red, green, black, blue, etc pre-wrap that may actually match the uniform color is stretched onto a player - the result is it won't match.

Also may be hard to believe, but even after years of blowing a high decibel whistle close to our ears, our hearing is quite impeccable. We're just much better at tuning out what we consider to be the misinformed or poorly mannered individuals at a game. If only the hecklers were more inventive - we've heard most of the good ones. But do remember, the next time you yell something at an official and later see them talking to one another and laughing in your direction - yes they are laughing at you. Razz

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:04 am

Amy Grant isn't usually isn't in my rotation, but "You're missing a good game" is definitely a classic.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:22 am

Or another classic, "Hey Ref, Open Your GOOD Eye" by Blind Melon (also covered by Third Eye Blind)

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 am

Heh Bosco, maybe the Owl coaching staff should consider putting Amy Grant into your rotation for 2016. I hear she has a good handle and can light it up from the arc.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum