@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

D1 First Round

View previous topic View next topic Go down

D1 First Round

Post  NH12345 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:28 pm

It's March Madness for D1 Boys and it should be a fun tournament. . .

1 Londonderry v. 16 Winnacunnet (Regular Season score: Londonderry W 65-56)-  Unfortunately for Winnacunnet I think it will be more of the same. . . Londonderry winning.  I think this will be a good game through the 3rd, but like most teams Winny just doesn't have enough to stay with Londonderry.

8 Alvirne v. 9 Merrimack (Reg Season: Alvirne 58-52)- I can't believe Merrimack gave up 58 points in a game they are allowing just 41.4 points a game with playing Londonderry twice.  I do not think it happens again.  Merrimack is going to slow the game down and force Alvirne to win a grid it out basketball game.  Merrimack wants to keep every game they play in the tournament in the 30's and they have the ability to do so.  Merrimack wins a close one.

4 Spaulding v. 13 Keene (Reg Season: Spaulding 55-43)- Tip your hat to the Keene coach.  He has done a great job turning around that program.  He has done a good job getting Keene back into the thick of things after missing the playoffs every other year.  Unfortunately for him he is running into a Spaulding team that is primed to make a run through this tournament.  The 3+ hours Keene will have to travel Wednesday will factor into this game as well.  I think Spaulding rolls.

5 Bedford v 12 BG (Reg season: Bedford 61-44)  BG has lost its last 6 in a row, but still has a shot in this one.  When BG comes ready to play they can play with anyone in the state.  I have seen Zimmerman as well and think this kid has the ability to take over the game.  Here is my first upset. . . BG in a nail biter.

2 Central v 15 North (Reg season: Central 81-76)- North played Central strong earlier in the year and is coming into the playoffs hot winning 4 of their last 6 contests, but Central knows how to win come tournament time.  Central wins

7 South v 10 Trinity (Reg Season: South 69-56)- South is my dark horse for this tournament so I can't predict them losing in round 1.  Trinity is a team that has not been consistent, and they are running into an offensive powerhouse.  South wins

3 Pinkerton v 14 Salem (Reg Season: Pinkerton 74-55)-  I love what Rob McLaughlin does with his teams each year, but he is facing an extremely talented basketball team in Pinkerton.  Pinkerton is priming for a deep run this season.  Yes, I know I am a Pinkerton guy, but I still like them.  Pinkerton wins.

6 Pembroke v 11 Memorial- (Reg season: Pembroke 50-47)- Pembroke snuck by Memorial early in the season without Gopp or Trevaugh in the Memorial line up.  Pembroke does not have the guards to keep with the Memorial guards.  With or without Quirk at the game Memorial knows how to win in the playoffs.  Memorial wins

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Re: D1 First Round

Post  Hoopfan4 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm

I noticed on the NHIAA website that Pembroke only played 16 games this year vs. 18 for the rest of D1. More curiosity than anything else since I know about all of the issues created with their move to D1 and teams refusing to play them - was the unbalanced schedule known prior to the year and factored into the playoff seedings? I would have thought they would have been able to make up those two games vs.teams that were willing to play them, especially since other teams played each other twice during the regular season. I know it's been a bit of a circus around their move to D1 this year, but the 2 game difference struck me as particularly odd for some reason.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 First round

Post  basketballdad on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Why didnt pembroke have to play 2 more games against other teams. They should of had an 18 game schedule just like ever other team.

basketballdad
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Hoopfan4 wrote:I noticed on the NHIAA website that Pembroke only played 16 games this year vs. 18 for the rest of D1.  More curiosity than anything else since I know about all of the issues created with their move to D1 and teams refusing to play them - was the unbalanced schedule known prior to the year and factored into the playoff seedings?  I would have thought they would have been able to make up those two games vs.teams that were willing to play them, especially since other teams played each other twice during the regular season. I know it's been a bit of a circus around their move to D1 this year, but the 2 game difference struck me as particularly odd for some reason.  

Londonderry and Merrimack did not play Pembroke this year.  Instead, they played each other twice.  Every other team in D-1 played everyone else once.  Pembroke couldn't have picked up other games in D-1, since that still would have left two teams with 19 games or two teams with 17 games.  I imagine they could have tried to pick up 2 games with D-2 teams if they were allowed to (I don't know).

The standings are based on a point rating system, which for D-1 is effectively the same as winning percentage.  Pembroke's rating / winning percentage put them alone in 6th place.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Got it - thanks for the clarification.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:13 pm

NH12345 -- Your claiming to be a Pinkerton guy puts a hole in my very Lancer soul.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 am

NHIAA Basketball: New dynamic as Div. I boys begin tourney Wednesday
By JOHN HABIB
New Hampshire Union Leader
Every season, storylines crop up when the Division I boys’ basketball tournament begins. This year is no exception.

Will Londonderry remain undefeated? Can No. 15 Nashua North upset defending champion and No. 2 seed Manchester Central? Can Manchester Memorial make another magical run to the Final Four? Will Spaulding’s Tim Cronin be named Coach of the Year?
“The playoffs bring a new dynamic every year,” said Merrimack coach Tim Goodridge of the tournament, which begins Wednesday with eight prelim games.
Five games start at 7 p.m. Bedford hosts Bishop Guertin of Nashua at 5:30 p.m., Central entertains North at 6:30 p.m. and Pinkerton Academy battles Salem in Derry at 7:30 p.m.
“People really don’t understand the intensity of these games,” said Goodridge. “It starts in the regular season and goes to another level in the tournament, especially for the seniors who don’t want their season to end until they’re the last team standing.”
Bishop Guertin of Nashua head coach Jim Migneault made a case for Nashua North upsetting Central. During the regular season, Central beat the Titans by five points.
“I wouldn’t sleep on North,” said Migneault. “North plays the same style Central plays. It’s a good matchup for North.”
To that, Goodridge said “We just recently played North and they hit 22 of 37 shots against us, just lights out. Brandon Kastens is back for them and Nathan Hale is a real good shooter. That’s going to be a good game.”
Finishing undefeated in the regular season does not guarantee Londonderry the state championship. Goodridge knows that first hand.

“We just won back-to-back championships (2003-04) and entered the semifinals of the 2005 tournament with a 22-0 record facing Dover in the semifinals,” said Goodridge. “Dover beat us after we handily beat them twice in the regular season. Last year Memorial almost knocked off (undefeated) Central in double overtime in the semifinals. Londonderry is a very good team and talented, but there’s a lot of pressure being undefeated in tournament play.”
Spaulding’s Cronin is a likely choice this season for Division I Coach of the Year honors.

Winners of seven of their last eight games, the Red Raiders seem to be peaking. “I would vote for Tim,” said Migneault. “The job he’s done there is phenomenal. Before he arrived there, Spaulding had a losing mentality. He’s got those kids believing in themselves.”
Goodridge said “I did vote for Cronin this year. For several years, he has taken the players he has and made them into contenders. If my team can’t win the state title, I’d certainly be happy to see a team like Spaulding win it. Tim Cronin is a class act, a total gentleman.”
Can Memorial shock the state by winning the state title as an 11th-ranked team with Trevon Maughn and Kabongo Ngalakulondi back together?

“If they can settle down and play with the chemistry they had last season, they can do it,” said Pinkerton coach Peter Rosinski.
Goodridge called Memorial “an extremely dangerous and talented team who I wouldn’t want to face in the first or second round.”

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum