@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Lancer Land? Look around

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lancer Land? Look around

Post  Clancy on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am

Division 1 has become the wild wild west.

Look at Memorial. I don't know all the details but how does a player come in at this point of the season after being suspended for what he was suspended for. Not criticizing the kid, criticizing the terrible example by the adults in charge. How does this happen?? I know when the AD is the coach.

I am sure all of D2 is enjoying watch Pembroke take there lumps after there run in d2. Pembroke is about 3 weeks away from leaving a scorched husk of a program for the next 4 years (quick name one kid on that team that is not a senior.)

Central?? A few questionable transfers

Officiating? Manchester officials take care of Manchester schools. Seacoast takes care of seacoast, Nashua nashua, etc etc.

Lancer land? That blog was as much for the parents to complain about Stanton as it was for actually point out wrong doing of Stanton. Shame on both groups.

People should love Danny Bryson and wish all of there kids could play for them.

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: Lancer Land? Look around

Post  NH12345 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:03 am

Clancy-
A couple of comments for your post.

Memorial, Central and West-  the revolving door of players from one school to another happens regularly between these teams.  Things to consider. . . how many of these players are renting their homes?  Let's remember most leases are year to year and moving from one apartment to another is extremely common.  For the athletes that switch schools without a move, I agree that it is unfair to the rest of the state and the NHIAA did crack down on it last year with the whole Flynn situation.  He was required to sit out his entire senior season.

As for Memorial allowing a player to return, I don't know enough about that situation to comment on it.  If you have more information I would love to formulate an opinion, as most posters do! Smile

Pembroke- I have seen them play twice now and both times it seems as though they are not doing well adjusting the physical nature of Division 1.  The biggest difference between the D1 and D2 games I have seen is the physical grind of D1.  Every night is a battle, and refs seem to swallow their whistles a little more in the D1 games.  We will see how good of a coach Coach Alosa is over the next couple of season because you are right. . . they do not have much coming back and the NHIAA is watching very closely for new residents to Pembroke.

Officiating is what it has been for years.  Home teams always tend to get the call and the farther you travel from home the tougher it gets to get a call.  

Lancer Land- It comes down to one thing. . . the former SAU parent still has pull in his old district.

Danny Bryson is one of the most underrated coaches in the state.  I was at the Timberlane v. West game and the way he handles his team is something to be admired.  He is tough and fair.  I agree with you; all parents should want their children to be coached by him.

Just one more poster's thoughts Cool

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am

To answer Clancy:

- The Memorial/Maughn situation was tied up in various amounts of due process and typical MSD red tape.... rolls and rolls of it. Nothing out of the ordinary for the Queen City and their laboriously slow grinding wheels.

- Pembroke. I think even Pembroke ardent supporters are surprised at the number of hits the Spartans have taken from their D1 opponents. Most people thought Pembroke would walk right into D1 and be a top 4 team...... Not so fast my friend as Lee Corso would say. Outside of Curran Pembroke has no consistently legit scorer like they did last season with W & W. With their roster being mostly seniors, their JV program being pedestrian, it'll be interesting to see if Alosa sticks around next season to coach a mendoza line basketball team in D1.

- Central questionable transfers? Since the population in Manchester has been inundated with a multi-cultural population increase for the last few years, even the Manchester post office can't keep up with the change of addresses with these aforementioned families.

- Manchester/Seacoast officiating...... Total yawn Yawn Yawn..... Sleep  Sleep  Sleep

Danny Bryson is a very good coach and more importantly a great guy. His team is listening to him this season and producing. The victory at Lebanon was huge for them. If they can get to the Final Four it'll be a lot of fun to see this team on the big open Lundholm Court.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:13 am

Clancy you couldn't be more wrong about the posts regarding the Londonderry situation. Anybody with a brain in their head would be thrilled with the job Stanton is doing. He appears to be a terrific young coach with a very successful future in front of him. It's all about the way the administration has gone about handling (fumbling may be a better word) both the coaching change and now this most recent issue that is the real shame. If they'd just handle things straight up as opposed to all the backroom b.s. they'd be a lot better off for it.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:24 am

w/r/t transfers...

I know it's not a popular opinion of everyone, but I'm firmly in the camp of "who cares". It's a family decision - sure sometimes it's to be with a better/different coach, other times it's being with an academic program that suits the athlete, maybe it's a family job situation, maybe it's a "personality conflict" with other students/teachers at some school, etc. It's a huge whatever for the NHIAA, schools, and "other parents". It's not my business.

w/r/t discipline...

Each school sets their policy well in advance. Most differ based on experiences and a school's "value system", but even with that in place it's possible for "someone" to overlook or brush under the carpet an incident based on the relative or perceived importance of the affected student (been there with my own and had a different/bad result compared to what I felt were similar or worse infractions). As with odd-ball rules that come up from time to time in games - there are oddball situations that never happened before, so "current" athletes aren't punished, but "future" athletes could be for the same infraction. In the end, whether punishment is meted without policy comes down to "family values". Many of us probably nod in agreement that some different outcome should have happened in Londonderry this year for that situation, but it seems other factors were in play that just don't make sense. Perhaps being forced to sit a half was the policy, I don't know I don't have the LHS handbook...

w/r/t officials...

I agree with T&F... In the end in comes down to tolerance of what you see every night and your tolerance to travel for D1 games if you're rated a D1 official... The bulk of D1 teams are inside a oval from Concord to Nashua - all schools are inside a "magic" 40 mile driving buffer... So officials living closer to Keene see/get 8-10 games per year... Officials closer to Spaulding, Exeter, Dover, and Winnacunnet see/get 40-48 games per year... If my math is correct that leaves ~260-270 D1 games in that center oval (18 teams, 18 games per team, 324 games). As has been pointed out elsewhere D1 is far more physical than D2 and save for a few teams a lot faster and deeper teams exist. It is what it is and the teams coming into the center oval know it, adjust their game plan accordingly just as much as teams within the oval do when they travel outside the oval.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Clancy on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Clarification

1 - I agree Nate Stanton is doing a great job, my point is the people who using this forum to take shots at him are just as bad as the administrators not doing there job.

2 - There is more to the Memorial situation. I don't want to post because TM is a kid. Again, the AD/Coach's behavior has been laughable/disgraceful. Memorial deserves better.

3- The officiating I'll agree that's a snoozer.

4- Pembroke, I would bet anything Matt Alosa will not coach that team in D1 (or d2)

5- Glad we all agree on Coach Bryson, Great win at Lebanon highlights are very impressive at NHSPORTSPAGE

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:36 pm

JAF wrote:
w/r/t officials...

I agree with T&F...  In the end in comes down to tolerance of what you see every night and your tolerance to travel for D1 games if you're rated a D1 official...  The bulk of D1 teams are inside a oval from Concord to Nashua - all schools are inside a "magic" 40 mile driving buffer... So officials living closer to Keene see/get 8-10 games per year... Officials closer to Spaulding, Exeter, Dover, and Winnacunnet see/get 40-48 games per year...  If my math is correct that leaves ~260-270 D1 games in that center oval (18 teams, 18 games per team, 324 games).  As has been pointed out elsewhere D1 is far more physical than D2 and save for a few teams a lot faster and deeper teams exist.  It is what it is and the teams coming into the center oval know it, adjust their game plan accordingly just as much as teams within the oval do when they travel outside the oval.

JAF - Your point is well taken, but you KNEW I wasn't going to let you get away with the shoddy math!  There are 19 teams in D-1:

18 teams x 18 games each = 324
1 team x 16 games = 16 (Pembroke)
Subtotal = 340
Divided by 2 (2 teams per game!) = 170 total games in D1 this year.

study Basketball  cheers

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Clancy, you keep saying Manchester officials do Manchester games.

I believe I told you this before, but if you didn't read it or read it and not understand it I'll repeat it. There are a smattering(not that many) of Manchester officials that ref D1 boys' Varsity games in Manchester. The vast majority of officials that work these games are from Candia, Bow, Concord, Salem, Nashua, Milford, Bedford etc etc etc.

If, after this, you keep on saying Manchester officials ref Manchester games then.....

..... You'll just lose all sense of credibility with me. Just saying.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:47 pm

re: SeacoastDad...

right - my bad - trying to do two things at one time - my real job and my side one ;-) I was doing the 1/2 games for the 5 non center part of the state teams, but not for all... Thanks for keeping my honest...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Clancy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 am

Not wanting to discuss officials, but to "re-establish" credibility.

A "Manchester Official" means on the Manchester board. It does not mean they live in Manchester. There are 4 boards in this state. Seacoast, Western NH, Concord and North, and Manchester. So if you live in Candia, Goffstown, Londonderry, etc you are a Manchester official.

Though there is a statewide assigner if you p' off the wrong people (AD's and certain coaches) you get lousy games. Especially in Manchester area where there are them most games and most officials

Just clarifying

back to basketball

Clancy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:26 am

I watched the Pembroke vs. Winnicunnett game. I agree with previous posts. I do not believe that Alosa will coach at Pembroke next season. The Spartans have size, but have no idea how to use it because everyone wants to be a SG or SF. I have seen 3 of thier games now, and they have nobody who can play under the hoop. Thier jv team is average at best and they are not very skilled... next season they might struggle to win 4 games in D1. Remember, they need to play thier two year committment in D1 and can return to D2 in the 2016 -2017 season. Keep in mind with narrow wins over Keene and Winnicunnett they could have two more losses to lower teams. Talent can make any coach look good when you win. Winning with a lack of talent shows how good a coach you are.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 am

The majority of the games officiated by "Manchester" officials are from that IAABO board. Same for anyone in the state. The Concord board covers games from Manchester up to Plymouth, the Seacoast board do games from Exeter up to Spaulding and as far west as Concord at times. It all depends on who takes the games that are available on the Arbiter. If I live in Durham, I will take games near there. I am not going to take a game in Keene and spend my check on the gas to get there. Yes, you see the same officials at schools each year, it happens everywhere. There are pros and cons, to the system, but with IAABO not reimbursing for mileage, you get what you get.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am

Clancy - I don't think you're helping your argument...

NH has 1 "statewide board" (http://www.iaabo32.com/) and 4 area boards (117, 118, 122, 128). The "Metro" Board (http://www.iaabo117.org/) services more or less what you state and is the largest board; however, the "North Central" Board (118) includes officials living close enough to Metro to assign officials to games in 117 "territory" (so to speak). The "Southeastern" Board (122) has the same dual service area as does the "Southwestern" Board (128). The assignments come from one central assignor that can ensure qualified officials from different areas get different challenges according to their ability. It really has a lot more to do with where you live or work than which Board you're on.

If an official or two tell you one thing, but you don't agree with it because your perception is different, then why is this any different than when you are at a game and the officials call or don't call something and you don't agree with it?

Solution - join the good guys... Leave the dark side of coaching and/or berating an official from the stands... Find out where the training classes are in the fall for the area of the Board you live. For example, Board 117 has training in the Fall at Alvirne HS. It's a 10-12 week "class" - meets once per week to go over the rules. Then you take a test. It's not as easy as it sounds - 50 questions of which at least half are worded strangely enough to confuse you. Pass that (I think 80 or 85 or better), then you get to find your own games throughout December - February before you have to take your floor test. For Board 117, that's officiating at the D1 Freshman Boys Basketball tourney opening round games. There are 4-8 board members that watch you and will decide your fate. Nothing like the speed of Freshman boys compared to perhaps the Rec or Travel games you were able to cobble together... Make sure you look the part, make sure you know your signals, where you're supposed to be on the court, and you have the intestinal fortitude...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:08 am

"A "Manchester Official" means on the Manchester board. It does not mean they live in Manchester."
Clancy

Once again Clancy, you seem to be stuck on this "Manchester board."

THERE IS NO MANCHESTER BOARD. Please stop misinforming people. Please know what you're talking about before you type (losing credibility once again).

Oh and every so often you could go to a Manchester game and see a 117 board official working with a Seacoast official - 122 or go to a Winny v Dover game and see a 117 official working with a Seacoast - 122 official. So, sometimes you don't have "the same ol ones" working in their respective districts. If you wonder why this isn't done for every game.... Well, guess what? ... referees have jobs, families and personal lives also, which makes it tough for them to travel 60 to 90 minutes to be at a gym for 5:00 to 5:30 on a week night to get ready to do their Varsity games.

Just stop talking about the officiating, Clancy and like you said, "back to basketball."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum