New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Jan. 23rd Games

+2
JAF
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Go down

Jan. 23rd Games Empty Jan. 23rd Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:55 am

After a light night this past Tuesday it's time to play a regular schedule.

Alvirne at Bedford: A good game to decide who keeps in the comfort zone of a Top 8 seed.

Londonderry at Merrimack: Not too many teams have slowed the Lond up tempo game. Can Mack accomplish this?

Pembroke at Trinity: Both teams in the middle of the 6/14 Logjam.

BG at Winny: I think even Migs would use the word disappointed to describe the Cardinals season so far. If they lose this road game you might have to add the word very.

Central at Spaulding: 2 years ago a similar match up took place at the RCC with both of these teams near the top of the standings. Central came away with a solid double digit road W. It all comes down who can dictate their style of play more forcefully.

Portsmouth at Milford: Can anybody slow down the Clippers who are scoring at a torrid pace?

GIRLS:

Bedford at Alvirne: Game of the night in D1 girls.

Pinkerton at Dover: The Lady Astros need this game to keep pace for a Top 4 seed.

Winny at BG: 2 to 3 years ago this would've been the marquee game of the night in D1 girls.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Jan. 23rd Games Empty Re: Jan. 23rd Games

Post  JAF Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Mid-Term time - hope all the STUDENT athletes did well on their exams... (and of course they remain eligible for the rest of the season!)

I saw BG v. Salem last week... compared to when I saw them vs. Exeter - a much improved team effort. A rather close first half got opened up in the 3rd as BG paid more attention to the players they were supposed to and were able to extend and keep a lead throughout the rest of the contest. Even the first half felt like BG was in control, but 4-8 point HS games can turn all too quickly.

Given the recent attention to the 'mack student section - it'll be interesting to see how Londonderry handles that. If one happens to miss the game tonight - since both decided to not play Pembroke, there's a return matchup on 2/4 in Londonderry.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Game of the night: Central @ Spaulding- Both teams play hard for 32 minutes; this should be a fun game to watch. Both teams will grind possessions offensively and defensively. It will be a battle of potential POY candidates in Martin and Berry. Central has more fire power with Kante and Martin, but Spaulding runs their offense like clock work and Berry can flat out score. I think the advantage goes to Spaulding playing at home. . . that ride up 125 tends to put teams to sleep. Spaulding wins.

Londonderry @ Merrimack- Merrimack is a well coached team that plays good defense and disciplined offense. They are out of the Gendron era and Goody still continues to find ways to win. Londonderry is an offensive juggernaut. . . they run, they shoot and they drive. All 5 players on the court are looking to score at all times. If Merrimack can keep this game in the 50s they have a chance to pull off an upset, unfortunately for them I don't think that is possible with this Londonderry team. Merrimack puts up a good battle for the first half, but sooner or later the Londonderry offense will figure it out. Londonderry wins

BG @ Winny- Migs has his boys turning in the right direction, although I am sure it is a slower turn than he would like. Winny is playing hard and is well coached, but BG is too much talent for Winnacunnet. BG in a close one.

Bedford @ Alvirne- This is a game Alvirne needs to win if they want to be considered in the upper tier of Division 1. Bedford is starting to play well as of late though. It is going to be a good match up. Alvirne wins.

Keene @ North- North is starting to play hard. Keene just doesn't have the talent to stay with North all game. North wins.

Exeter @ South- I like Exeter, I love their guard play and if their big man can keep up with Holmes and Morrisette they are going to be a dangerous team in March. I think the talented young back court of Exeter pulls of this game at South. Exeter Wins.

Concord @ Salem- Both teams that at the moment look to be in contention for the last couple of playoff spots. McLaughlin always has his boys playing hard no matter the opponent, if they can out work Concord they should walk away with a win. Salem wins

Pembroke @ Trinity- Both teams have a lot to prove sitting at 3-3. I don't think Alosa has ever lost three games at Pembroke in a year let alone 3 straight. Pembroke is looking for a way to stop the bleeding. Trinity is a talented team that if they take the direction of their new coach could become a threat in March. If Pembroke can limit the amount of 3 balls they take and work it down low they should be able to take this one, but that is a big IF. Trinity wins.

Dover @ Pinkerton- Pinkerton is too much, they are big, athletic and can shoot. They are looking to forget the terrible memory of what happened to them last Friday at Simon Gym. Pinkerton wins.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Jan. 23rd Games Empty Central Survives, 57-55, over Spaulding

Post  RedRaiderNation Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Central kept its 34-game winning streak intact along with its spot at the top of the Division 1 standings with a 57-55 win over Spaulding last night at the Rochester Rec Center. The Little Green bounced the Red Raiders from the unbeaten ranks with the bounce of the ball, once Spaulding sophomore Cal Connelly's corner trey caromed off the iron as time expired. The win leaves Central and Londonderry, both 6-0, as the only two undefeated teams in D1. Spaulding and Pinkerton,both victims of Central in back-to-back games, are 6-1.

Oumaro Kante was the difference as the Central point guard carved his way to 20 points. Spaulding had trouble keeping the shifty Kante out of the paint. When Spaulding decided to help on penetration, Kante displayed his passing ability, finding open teammates for uncontested treys and easy layups. Spaulding really concentrated on Joey Martin defensively, and the Central senior was so steady throughout the contest in scoring 17 points and providing production in every area, that his influence can be underrated. Central can dazzle you with their passing, as they’re a great cutting team. They move very well without the ball, especially when teammates penetrate deep into the paint. They are unselfish, giving up their own good looks to get great shots for teammates.

Darian Berry and Chris States really stood out for Spaulding. Berry consistently scored in a variety of ways on his way to a game-high 22 points. He banged a deep trey from just inside Gonic in the closing minute to pull his team to within one. He competes on every possession and provides the hustle plays for the Red Raiders. States was impressive defending Martin, rebounding at both ends and slashing to the hoop for 13 points. He's an athletic wing player that plays with great energy. Anthony Ciccotelli gave the Red Raiders some big buckets in spurts with 11 points. The 6"4' post player did his damage once he corralled the ball in the post. Down the stretch, Spaulding’s offense idled on the parameter which lead to missed threes. The Red Raiders had trouble getting the ball to Ciccotelli inside or penetrating in the paint for open looks. Credit Central for their defense.

Great game and great atmosphere at the Rochester Rec last night.

RedRaiderNation
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Saw the Central - Spaulding game, very good game! Redradidernation is right it was an amazing atmosphere to see.

I noticed Keene went on the road and beat North. Looks like Keene is out of the basement this season. Good for Coach Sontag, he is a good coach making the most of his talent. Can someone answer this question... Did I read the NHIAA schedule right and see the North does not play South? What gives there?

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:51 pm

I stand corrected, the play Feb 6th.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Intrigued by the Exeter Nash South game. Are these high fire power teams? They don't have great records. Or are these teams who can't defend office furniture? Truly don't know the answer.

If they are great players there teams should have great records. They just seem to score alot of points. Need to value the scoreboards and not the scorebooks!!

Did anyone see the game? The highlights are great, but don't really tell the story

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down