@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

No More Mercy

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: No More Mercy

Post  FormerFalcoln on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:03 am

By no way do I propose "6 or 7 divisions". It is not about the trophies. You can expand this discussion beyond basketball if you want and the NHIAA has the same problem. When all of your sports (not sure football has one, I don't follow NH football) have a mercy rule of some sort, then that should tell you that your classification, coaches application of philosophy, and the competitive balance are all out of line.

Division I has no real interest in reclassification as your numbers you posted show. Every time the NHIAA has a proposal for classificationthe DI athletic directors could care less. If you look at DII, DIII, and DIV, they have more blowouts and the parity is just not there. Portsmouth has gone to running time 4 times this season. West 3x, John Stark has been on the losing end of running time 4x this season, same with Kingswood, while Pelham has been in running time 7 times, Berlin 4x, etc.... I know the focus of the discussion on this board focuses on DI, but the issues are greater than just the DI schools.

The competitive balance in DI is the best in the state, it is when you see the lower divisions that the blowouts become more commonplace.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 am

Football went from 6 divisions of 8-10 teams to 3 divisions where each division was further split into geographic (well mostly) 4 conferences of 5 (or 6 teams) - that was year 1. In year 2 due to some playoff and geographic inequities, D3 changed to have 2 conferences. The push now is to have D1/D2 do the same. I disagree, I just think they need to fix their playoff system where 2 teams last year with 4-5 records "made" the playoffs in one conference while 2 teams from another conference that beat both those two playoff teams didn't make playoffs.

Could the same work for basketball - I think so. If your division one size is 20, your conference count is 4 with the three lower divisions having 22 teams and similar break downs. You play home and home within your conference (8 games), then play two of the three other conferences - one at home, one on the road for a total of 18 games. It's a four year cycle.... Conf A @ Conf B, Conf B @ Conf C, Conf C @ Conf D, and Conf D @ Conf A. I don't like the football playoff system due to unbalanced schedule, but if each conference winner is a top seed, then there are systems that will allow you to seed the next 8 best teams. One round of a bye for winning the conference. Sure we lose 4 playoff teams from the current D1, D2, D4 system, but how many times did a 13-16 team win on the road?

Option 2 is 14 conferences of 5 and 4 conferences of 4. D1 & D2 get 3 conferences of 5 (top 30 teams), D3 & D4 get 4 conferences of 5 (next 40 teams), and D5 gets 4 conferences of 4. D1/D2 play home/home plus 1 team from each other conference. D3->D5 get the option 1 cycle. For the 3 team conferences, the top 3 teams are the top 3 seeds. Then the next 8 are seeded accordingly... Same for the 4 team conferences with each getting 12 playoff teams.

I'm not going to try and break down who goes where, but I do think the current system is broken and like football a somewhat radical change needs to be implemented. Home/Home series in local rivalries could perhaps bring interest back to the hardcourt instead of wherever the students go on a Friday evening now ;-)

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:52 am

Running time applies in freshman games as well. Seen it 4 times.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 am

If coaches know how to manage these games then there is no needed for running time. All coaches usually know if the game will could turn into a blowout before the game starts, so why not have a planer strategy in place? I have seen varsity, jv, and freshmen teams with starters in in the 4th quarter still pressing, still shooting 3s while up 25 or 30. There is no excuse for it. What coaches need to understand is that if they don't exercise proper judgement and operate inn a responsible manner, then we get the NHIAA making these rules as a way to control it because the NHIAA gets the emails and phone calls from AD's, principals, coaches, and parents about these blowouts. What happens o the coach or school that run up scores? They get a phone call or letter with no real consequence. S the NHIAA has no option other than try foolish and unnecessary policies because the coaches and schools can't control themselves.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum