New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Christmas Tournaments

+7
JAF
Bert54the1
Ironman
Hooper
The Edge
anotherhoopfan
SoccerfanNH
11 posters

Go down

Christmas Tournaments Empty Christmas Tournaments

Post  Hooper Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:16 am

Anyone know dates and/or participants in Holiday Basketball tournaments.  QCBIT has not released any info yet has it?  Where would you find it?
Nashua and Concord tournaments?  North Country?  Keene?

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Christmas Tournaments Empty Re: Christmas Tournaments

Post  JAF Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:41 am

http://www.nh-highschoolsports.com/winter-sports/a-list-of-the-holiday-tournaments-for-2014

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  SoccerfanNH Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:50 am

The Zero Gravity Tourney is at Keene State. Games start at 10am on the 26th. Coe-Brown is listed as the sponsoring team according to the NHIAA website.

SoccerfanNH
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Christmas Tournaments Empty Concord Area Holiday Basketball Tournament at NHTI

Post  anotherhoopfan Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 pm

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hogan-camps-llc/concord-area-holiday-basketball-tournament-at-nhti/776806005732905

anotherhoopfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:36 am

Looking for Pinkerton's game tonight? I thought they were in the championship game at Merrimack? but have conflicting info

Does anyone know where/when they play??

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Hooper wrote:Looking for Pinkerton's game tonight?  I thought they were in the championship game at Merrimack?  but have conflicting info

Does anyone know where/when they play??

According to this 2:45 today at merrimack:
http://commonwealthxmasclassic.com/

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks, can't make that time (2:45?) but appreciate the info.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Last night's dissection of Pembroke by Brady was masterful. Almost as much fun to watch as the Spurs vs. Heat last June.

Ironman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:14 am

Pinkerton Wins Hixon Division

HIXON DIVISION AWARDS
Coaches Awards: Derek DiPietrantonio, Watertown; Caleb Godin, Pinkerton.
All-Tourney: Matt Rizzo, Pinkerton, MVP; Jared Gott, Salem; Wabissa Bede, North Andover; Mike Hagopian, Watertown; Brendan Hoban, Watertown; Geo Baker-Occeus, Pinkerton
Pinkerton 60, Watertown 50

Brady wins Capital Tournament
http://www.concordmonitor.com/sports/15008736-95/bells-30-points-lead-bishop-brady-to-first-capital-area-tournament-title

Lebanon wins North Country Tournament
http://www.vnews.com/sports/15007995-95/local-roundup-raiders-top-marauders-for-shootout-title

Btw MV beats Concord, Brady beats Pembroke, Pelham beats Londonderry, West beats Trinity, etc. Smaller schools holding there own Really how good is D1 this year?

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Hooper,

Not sure if that small sampling is an indication of the weakness of D I. What about South and North's victories in Nashua over D II Milford and Souhegan, yesterday? Concord hasn't exactly been a D I power during the last few years, so their loss to MV isn't a shock. Pelham over Londonderry is a statement game no doubt, but Pelham has a shot to go undefeated and win a state title this year. West over Trinity, that's a city game and Trinity is going to have some growing pains with a new coach and a new group of players. West has a chance to be real good. As for Brady and Pembroke, with two teams who recruit anything can happen. Brady has a shot at the D II ship and Pembroke should have a say in D I.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Why go there Bert54the1? It's the holiday season and the R word should be saved for other discussions...

I'd say like any year the top D2 teams can compete with the top D1 teams - would they win a majority over an 18-19 game season - perhaps not, but in a tourney format where there's little time to prepare for your next opponent that's a different story. There's a reason why AD's in lower divisions choose to stay where they are even though their teams could compete in a higher division. I'm sure there's a few D1 teams that wish they could play down every once in a while when they don't have a strong core.... Pelham is D3 - not sure why as I don't buy the size of the school argument. They are a solid team and they play hard every night and could easily compete in D2. Good feeder program as their travel teams play in the northeastern mass league. Londonderry is good and that game went to OT... So really - not a surprise or knock against D1. Better team won that night.

With repsect to Brady - they have the Bell's back, so they are going to be a force no matter who they play. The Concord Monitor article on that game says Brady hit 6 3-balls to Pembroke's zero. Seems like they played solid defense down the stretch... Perhaps missing a few shots, having some uncharacteristic turnovers, etc. caused PA to falter. Not a surprise - it happens to every team. Better now than in March.

As for West/Trinity - once you're in the consolation portion of a holiday tournament it's time to let everyone play and test specific lineups...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  justwondering Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Jaf...

With your comment about Pelham.... the answer is simple! Size of the school puts them in D3... my guess is you will comment on they have played up for 4 or so years..... and I believe you would be correct. .. but let's think what other sports Pelham has like soccer...cross country..baseball. . Then the female sports. ... ohhhhh... that's right you can petition up in a single sport..... Jaf you would be correct again.... but how about scheduling!!! I know it would seem simple but my guess is they would have had numerous scheduling conflicts with girls team playing D3 and the boys play D2... Most schools want to have teams play the same night Tues/Fri... by having 2 different Division teams my guess is Pelham was forced to play many more Mon/ Wen/ Tues/ Fri games....then you add in wrestling as if mind serves me correctly they have a wrestling team that has home meets..... not to mention practice times .... but I'm sure you are right Jaf... it's probably more than just the enrollment thing

justwondering
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Went to the Capital title game with Brady vs. Pembroke. Brady shot very well - combination of good shot selection and the Bell brothers can both take over a game at any point they need. The difference in this years Pembroke team vs. the team I saw play the last two years is they do not have a "go to guy". In the last few years they had Rene and Pat to take over on must have possessions. I know it was just one game, but I did not see a player on PA who was the go to guy via the confidence that Rene or Welch had with the ball in key possessions. With that said, I think if Pembroke shot more than 40% for the game I would be surprised. However, Brady easily shot close to 60% for the game. I think if these two teams played 10 times Pembroke wins 6 or 7 times. Open shots did not fall for them with most being high quality shots.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:35 pm

At Clancy -
Yes and no. School size helps, but programs like Keene and Concord have not been competitive for almost 15 years now. They have 1500 plus to pick from. Meanwhile, schools like Pelham, Conant, and Woodsville have a tradition and well organized feeder programs that help too. Athletic kids make the difference. Period. Regardless of school size, Pelham and Conant would both be top 5 or 6 teams in DII this year. They could compete at the top. Meanwhile Keene and Concord would still struggle to finish .500 in DII.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:40 pm

On the coaching end, good coaching speaks for itself. Trask at Colebrook, Doc Wheeler, Goodrich, Jim Mignault, Dave Smith at Coe Brown... These guys make thier programs competitive every single season for a reason. They know how to coach. Look at a program that struggles, and you see coaching carousels.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 pm

justwondering:

Believe it or not - I understand the scheduling argument and the different division thing. Although their girls are holding their own too. Ironically a reason why they've played up in the past is travel considerations. Most d3 teams aren't close - Campbell being one, but d3 provides some longer bus rides. Whether they run the table or not who knows. They will be able to continue to build their program and keep kids on the court which is a good thing.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  justwondering Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:35 am

Jaf..

That is a very fair point one that I did not think of.....

justwondering
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:36 am

Clancy:

If size of the school mattered that much, Pinkerton would win every title in every sport every year as they have over 3000 students with the next closest being Central with just under 2000 (from http://www.education.nh.gov/data/documents/school_enroll13_14.pdf). I agree with Falcon that coaching and the (well coached) feeder programs are equally as important. I didn't buy into the PA will win every game in D1 this year because they've "recruited" story being told last Spring/Summer because when the game is played on the court it's the strategy of the opposing coach and the skills of the opposing players that will decide things. It's nice to see that play out, too. Schools that have feeder programs that seek out or regularly play against tougher competition should naturally have better teams when playing against alike sized schools (Conant, Campbell, Pelham are examples of D3 schools that "grow up" playing against D1/D2 town teams).

I think for the top programs regardless of division the top 3-5 players will generally match up very well. However, the larger schools generally have more depth - being able to cycle 7, 8, 9 players into a game is huge down the stretch. The smaller schools 7, 8, 9 players are generally a much larger dropoff talent wise than the larger school. That's where a long season vs. a short tourney format takes its toll on the schools playing up. In those tourney games, the larger school may decide to shorten their bench. The starters are used to getting a break; whereas, perhaps the smaller school starters are used to playing longer and gain the advantage because they know how to pace themselves.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Oyster River Tournament included Timberlane beating Spaulding at the half and tied at the end of 3 before falling, along with Oyster River giving Winnacunnet a game as well.

Oyster River Results:

1. Spaulding (D1)
2. Winnacunnet (D1)
3. Timberlane (D2)
4. Oyster River (D2)
5. Raymond (D3)
6. Somersworth (D3)

Nice and orderly! Laughing

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:21 pm

With regards to D1 this year..... It is definitely down talent wise and sizzle wise. I went to the quarters and semis of the QCIBT. Quite frankly I passed on the Ship. The attendance at the QCIBT was far less than it has been the last few years: Lack of sizzle. I would submit the majority of the teams in the QCIBT have taken 1 to 2 steps down from last season. Over half the teams in D1 have taken 1 or 2 steps down from last season and that includes well publicized newcomer Pembroke.

Memorial - No Trevon

Merrimack - No Gendron

Pembroke - No W & W

Central - No older Martin and Hansen

Trinity - No everybody

All of the above and with replacements not replacing in good fashion = Lack of Sizzle. The atmosphere at the QCIBT was dust collecting. I couldn't believe how there was ZERO buzz for the West - Central semifinal and I guess the people who stayed away knew what they were doing as Central won by 33. Halftime of the Bedford vs Mack semi: 17 to 10 in favor of Mack...... Ughhhhh. Sleep Sleep

Can D1 improve as the season progresses? Maybe, but right now I'm not feeling it in D1. Sleep Sleep

Heh Bosco: Any new D2 restaurants or D2 pubs along the beautiful 125 corridor that leads to the palatial Timberlane HS?? Basketball Very Happy Basketball

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:15 pm

Not along the Route 125 corridor, but you can never go wrong at Fremont Pizzeria. Very Happy

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Bosco. I'm at the Copper Door in Bedford helping to bring in the New Year. How does the Fremont Pizzeria menu compare to Copper Door? Wink Wink Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:56 pm

T&F - You can afford the copper door on your referee salary? Razz

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:11 pm

No prob Jaf. Not bad on the year end Fox 40 wallet Wink

Tenderloin Beef Sliders
Caramelized Onion, Gorgonzola Fondue, Bibb Lettuce, Brioche, Hand-Cut Fries 15

Calamari
Cherry Pepper, Cool Ranch Aioli, Fresh Greens, Spicy Garlic Butter, Marinara Sauce 12

I have to celebrate all the good times on the courts in 2014 and looking forward to good times to come in 2015 !!!

Happy New Year to all cheers sunny cheers

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum