@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Clock is ticking for Pembroke

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Clock is ticking for Pembroke

Post  Hooper on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Basically, it's lawyer time.

I think people are misunderstanding what the competition comm does. They have nothing to do with scheduling (or scheduling competitively)

Each individual school makes it's own schedule. True all the AD's pawn it off to a few after they meet. But ultimately ALL games are agreements between 2 schools. If you don't want to play some one, you don't have to. That's why Pat C had a grin as he was being asked why he isn't giving PA a schedule.

Generally competition is not a reason to schedule or not schedule, much more so for geography. Once in a while there is scheduling due to bad blood between schools or for difficulty of getting games (The last few years PA had a super hard schedule because many refused to play them, they had to travel, and play who was willing to play them)

PA's going to have to sue individual schools I believe. It's going to be costly

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 am

Hooper is right but competition committee has in the past written letters to schools for dropping schools on schedules due to "lack of competitive ability" or the refusal to play stronger programs.. Do you thinkPA and the school district is seriously going to sue 18 schools individually? The cost of that is 6 figures vs. fire the coach at a cost of what $5k? This is not the NHIAA banning anyone, this is the DI schools NOT scheduling PA due to the history of questionable practices by the athletics department and rules enforcement due to the basketball program.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:55 am

I don't see lawsuits against 18 other schools happening - too costly, but perhaps one against the NHIAA could be possible, but I doubt that happens too. I don't see them firing the coach either - that could end up in court for wrongful termination. I don't see the coach stepping down - what lesson does that teach?

It's too bad that the players cannot "attempt" to "compete" against what is considered a strong team only because the adults have a vendetta against their coach (and the coach's father). That's such a nice lesson to teach the players. Well we don't agree with how they've done things, so we're just not going to play with them.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Pembroke

Post  Play-Basketball on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:57 am

Why is this so complicated

Rules where broken by a school yes- Penalty needs to be paid
High School is about learning lessons- Best thing that could happen for these students
Coach and Administrators will need to move on

The parents that claim that they are being singled out as a program are willing to
accept that rules with in a community may be stretched or ignored.

Do other schools break the rules- Yes I know a few and rather then use that as an
excuse for Pembroke. Enforce a penalty and others will be more reluctant to break the rules

Overall as a community we agree to live by a set of rules and if we do not like them
to get involved and work to change them. Do not let the young generation come to accept
that life is about bending the rules and when caught- Complain- Ignore- Point out others that do so- and then talk about suing

I do not know the coach but do have kids that play high school sports. I expect the coaches to
work with my children on the basics of that sport- how to play- how to win/ loose- and finally
how to be a teammate and allow sports to help them as they mature in life. I think if the coach really cared about the basketball players in Pembroke he would step down. By not doing so it looks like the program its putting forth a different set of values that might be connect to why they ended up in this mess

Show the kids that what was done was wrong- its okay to apologize in life - take your penalty and get back on the court and enjoy high school basketball

Play-Basketball
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

Play-Basketball - nice to see a new blogger:

It's complicated because the "penalty" is being carried out without a "formal" finding of guilt by the governing body. As a way around going through the formal process, the AD/coach's "chose" a tactic to single out a program based mainly on a long standing dislike of the coaching family involved. That was "wink-wink" signed off by the (now former) director of the NHIAA as his last effU.

The families that "moved" into the PA district have sat their year - eg - the penalty for transferring and not getting a waiver on both ends. One family "won" a judgement over a mis-application (by the former director) of an eligibility rule that states the clock starts ticking when you graduate 8th grade - a ruling that hasn't been evenly applied in other similar situations. In the end the family itself was trying to do the right thing as opposed to other instances where families chose to not do the right thing so as to not cast a light on them. Hoping that by ignoring a rule, it won't be applied to their child - do you condone that (in)action?

So to say PA hasn't paid a penalty for what were judged to be incorrect transfers is wrong. Right now they're paying en extra penalty because there's still an axe to grind with the coach and his father. Do you consider that to be the right thing to teach within the community? If the coach resigns as you suggest, what does that say? To me it says that in the future, if a set of AD/coach's doesn't like an individual or thinks a program is too strong, then all they have to do is do what's being done now. Band together to try and force another district to make a personnel decision. It's been said if the coach is removed, that the AD/coach's would schedule PA in heartbeat. So it's not the "fear" of playing the team/same players, it's the prejudice (perhaps too strong a word) they have for the coach (and his father). Let's face it the accusation isn't heinous - "recruiting" players (and their families) to live in a community together, be able to continue to play a sport together, and enjoy each others company. That just rankles others who "say" they cannot do the same thing - which I contend is wrong - one only look to Manchester to see movement of athletes between schools. Families have and will always make decisions based on what is best for them and their children. That decision may include moving to a different school district - whether for sports, academics, arts, special needs, etc. or to send their child to a private school (which we did).

BTW: Just in case you don't know - I'm not a PA parent, I don't have kids in HS any more. I shouldn't even care, but for some reason I do. If nothing else than to play "devil's advocate" against those that pile on against PA and the families who are rightfully too emotionally connected to the situation to be listened to. *No one* believes they moved into Pembroke because they preferred the school district over where they came from (Londonderry, Bedford, and I forget where else).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 am

Jaff, I love reading your posts and so appreciate your open mind regarding the situation. I have been refraining from posting as I am a parent and of course am emotionally close to the story. I do want to say however, in regards to your recent post, I DID move my son to Pembroke because I thought it would be better for him than Manchester and it has been, its not a at stretch to believe that something could be a bit better than Central (for some kids). As I have repeated here many times , we had NEVER EVER had any contact with coach Alosa prior to transfering, I had no idea how basketball would work out for him but its been great!  
Its frustrating reading posters misinformed assumptions here. Oh, and Falcon, I hope you are soon to be disappointed Smile

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Clock is Ticking

Post  Play-Basketball on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:02 pm

The subject continues to get so broad that it gets away from the point of the argument

I applaud any family that moves to a community for a better experience for the child. With four kids we have done that and not all of our children have gone to our local public school. Parents should not be challenge for deciding what is best for their children.

The coach and or coaches family seems to have quite a few enemies in the community which is to bad and not sure I understand why nor for me that is really not that important. I do believe where there is a fire one can usually find sparks. We all understand the truth is hidden in the middle.

Your knowledge of the specifics around some of the children is way above my knowledge base, but quite honestly should not be voiced in the papers and be used as examples. I fell bad for these boys and families as this should not be played out publicly let them enjoy there high school years... Supposedly adults should be to resolve problems fairly

Yet we need to acknowledge there is a problem- We also understand that the High School Association is held hostage because of privacy laws and may not be able to express some facts. Once again Pembroke ( Wish we could stop blaming a town) individuals within the Athletic Program ( Not blaming Matt-not enough info) have been skirting some rules for a long time. Way to many transfers from other towns statically the numbers do not jibe. Also we know personally of an individual that joined the program(Years ago) without truly living in Pembroke. He stayed a year and then went to a third school. He never lived there but did stay there during the school year with knowledge by many people

You talk about having the coach leave the program and the lesson learned. I have talked to children that play sports in Pembroke ( My children are not in the District) and they talk and laugh they know what's going on. Once again my feelings are kids are not being taught the correct values and that is most important. Adults should be able to work this out-fix the rules so they are less grey.

If a district or AD will not follow the rules correctly do not let it linger for years. If we were all more accountability for our actions and accept when we are wrong that would be the first step
If it is believed that Matt is the problem he should choose to fall on his sword. Allow the team to play ( If that's the hold up) and his coaching resume will defiantly land him another coaching position where he can start fresh. Would that not be the correct solution for High School basketball in NH and the residents and basketball players at Pembroke. With responsibility comes responsibilty

Play-Basketball
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Good for the kids. They get to play.

Tom 2:
I never wanted to see the kids be punished for what the adults in this matter did. The kids always were and have been the victims in this.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum