@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Clock is ticking for Pembroke

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clock is ticking for Pembroke

Post  FormerFalcoln on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:17 am

Now with PA out of school and most ADs not working over the summer, that will leave Pembroke with about 3 weeks to get a schedule when they return to school. I have heard nothing in terms of any movement on thier schedule. The headmaster position is still taking applications at the SAU and will take about 3 weeks to sort out once one is hired. That leaves the new administration about 4 weeks to deal with the issue. Not a to of time.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Re: Clock is ticking for Pembroke

Post  Hooper on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 am

Former Falcon,

Can it be true. Alosa to Brady as the AD/Coach. Pembroke get's a schedule???

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:46 am

Not sure that will be a good fit for Brady. Remember, he would now have to work with ADs and the NHIAA. Do you think ADs will work with him after all of the allegations with Pembroke?

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Hooper wrote:Former Falcon,

Can it be true.  Alosa to Brady as the AD/Coach.  Pembroke get's a schedule???

Where are you hearing the Alosa to Brady info? I have heard a different name headed there for the AD position.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:32 pm

multiple people, Brady people, Pembroke people.

I hate to go on a limb but very very likely. He is definitely a finalist.

Might not be a bad move for parties. PA gets a schedule, Brady gets some bang. Of course some of the kids who went to PA for Matt are getting screwed, but that happens in sports.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:16 pm

I would be shocked if Brady does do this. They do realize that they will now draw the scrutiny? How do you think the ADs will respond to Matt Alosa at Brady? It will not be a warm reception.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  1moreknowitall on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 pm

I heard Pembroke won't be looking for a schedule if Alosa ends up at Brady since 3/4 of their program is transferring to Brady as we speak Laughing Laughing Laughing 

1moreknowitall
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 pm

He might be a finalist but why would Brady do this and what do they gain other than negative press and scrutiny. Clearly the new principal at Brady has no idea of what has happened at PA if they hire Alosa. I see no positive for Brady if they hire Alosa as AD, let alone coach.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Hater

Post  Not in the know on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Former Falcon,

All your posts really just make you look like a HATER!! I know that you are a NH insider but just being an Alosa basher is getting old.

Not in the know
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  1moreknowitall on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Hater? To me it sounds like Falcon is being rational and logicial. I don't know Alosa, never met him, don't know much about Pembroke. What I do know is there is a huge scandal and Coach Alosa is a focal point of that....agree or disagree with what's happening aside....I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole especially so soon. Maybe if the Pembroke situation was settled and time had passed...but not now....doesn't make any sense.

"Recruiting" is a little bit easier to do at a school like Bishop Brady (see Trinity/BG). It would only make Alosa more suspicious if this ends up being his next coaching stop.

1moreknowitall
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:21 am

1moreknowitall

Agreed.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolltide01 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 am

Its football season

Rolltide01
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkidsdad on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 am

I agree with Rolltide01 its football time!!

bigkidsdad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Sorry it is football season

Matt A did not get AD job. Not sure if he still is an applicant for Brady Coaching job?

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Hooper wrote:Sorry it is football season

Matt A did not get AD job.  Not sure if he still is an applicant for Brady Coaching job?  

That would have been a PR nightmare for Brady. Good for them.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

9/15 Deadline

Post  NHRamFan on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Per the NHIAA website schedules are due 9/15, so it looks like we'll know in two weeks how this will play out....

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 am

Rumors at PA is that they might have to move on without Alosa. Two coaches of other sports i talked with at the school said that the faculty and coaches are divided on this. They told me people support the kids but not many support Alosa. There are Alosa supporters at the school, but both said the rules have been bent for Alosa, and they have seen it first hand.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:31 pm

It won't be the first or last time "rules" were bent for certain coaches and certain players. Kids eligible after not going to classes... Kids on rosters even though they didn't go to a tryout... Penalties handed out to kids for certain offenses, while others get away with far worse (that happened to one of my sons)... Eventually the coach wears out his/her welcome or the school is threatened with lawsuits and then something is done. As long as he has supporters in the administration and they have a strong backbone he probably won't get the same fate as the Londonderry coaches (how's that for wrapping this thread into another one or two Cool )

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 pm

No schedule for PA when the master schedule was released today. Looks like PA needs to do some soul searching.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Eat your words

Post  Not in the know on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Former Falcon,

You will be eating your words soon!! And I could not be happier!!!!!!!

Not in the know
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am

NHRamFan wrote:Per the NHIAA website schedules are due 9/15, so it looks like we'll know in two weeks how this will play out....

@ Not In The Know:

They released the draft, final schedules are due to the NHIAA from the AD's on the 15th. If Pembroke has no schedule 1 week prior to that deadline, they need to scramble and find schools that will play them and add games before the 15th. I have talked to two DI AD's @ games this fall who said they are NOT scheduling Pembroke as long as Alosa is coaching.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 pm

So, if I understand things "correctly" - the schedule is put together by a committee based on a set of parameters given to them by each school (such as, don't schedule for specific dates due to midterms, don't schedule against certain schools, etc).

Then that schedule the committee puts together is sent back to the schools (me wonders who else and why they get it too, but that's not germane to the questions I'm about to ask).

Then the school (Principal, AD, Coach, ???) goes through the schedule and makes adjustments based on whether the committee got everything right (kind of like a double check). Then it's up to the school to "add", "remove", or "modify" the schedule (such as doing Girls/Boys Varsity double headers like BG/North and BG/Bedford have done recently). The "add" would be a coach reaching out to a school to play a second game within division (eg, Londonderry v. Pinkerton type rivalry) or across division (perhaps Dover v. St. Thomas - due to proximity). IIRC there's a maximum number of games each school can play (let's say 20 for a 19 team division - meaning 18 division and 2 extra games), right? The "remove" can be for some some substantiated reason??? Or just "remove" without reason? I recall in baseball Dover decided to play StThomas rather than take a trip to Keene (there's a possible urban myth as to why dealing with a long bus ride on a rainy day after assurances the game would be played only to get there and have the game canceled).

To extend the hyperbole a bit more - schools can choose to not play certain opponents because the opponent is deemed too good or conversely the opponent isn't (or hasn't been) competitive for years. Thus allowing a team to "add" more games against better opponents. I think BG played Winni girls twice in the past and played North girls twice last year, not sure who they dropped - although it may be have been Concord. Sure it could hurt you seedings wise, but in the long run come playoff time seeing a better team twice is quite helpful. As opposed to winning by 50+ and the backlash that brings against a weaker opponent. Hey it happens in here - I seem to remember the backlash against PA beating I think Kingswood.

If this all ends up being true - then what I'm wondering is - let's say Pembroke gets whatever the minimum # of games from various supportive D1 opponents to qualify for playoffs. What if the "expense" of those is say dropping the same opponent by all those teams occurs? Now that could be a traditionally weaker/stronger team. What if that team now falls below the game # threshold? And they win all their games (stranger things have been known to happen even for the weaker team)! Now what happens? Imagine Central or Memorial or Trinity not getting enough games to qualify.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

AD's Set the schedule

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm

"Then the school (Principal, AD, Coach, ???) goes through the schedule and makes adjustments based on whether the committee got everything right (kind of like a double check). Then it's up to the school to "add", "remove", or "modify" the schedule (such as doing Girls/Boys Varsity double headers like BG/North and BG/Bedford have done recently). The "add" would be a coach reaching out to a school to play a second game within division (eg, Londonderry v. Pinkerton type rivalry) or across division (perhaps Dover v. St. Thomas - due to proximity). IIRC there's a maximum number of games each school can play (let's say 20 for a 19 team division - meaning 18 division and 2 extra games), right? The "remove" can be for some some substantiated reason??? Or just "remove" without reason? I recall in baseball Dover decided to play StThomas rather than take a trip to Keene (there's a possible urban myth as to why dealing with a long bus ride on a rainy day after assurances the game would be played only to get there and have the game canceled)."

Athletic Directors get the master schedule form the group of AD's who set it up (typically 3 or 4 ADs build the schedule). The first draft went out to schools in May. The Second draft came out this week. In the time between the two - schools look to make adjustments. The draft that came out this week is usually within 80% - 85% accuracy. Coaches do not add any games. AD's modify or set the games. The cross divisional games you mention were done by Keene & Dover with cooperation with ConVal and St. Thomas. When those original drafts came out, Keene played Dover & ConVal played St. Thomas. The 4 schools AD's agreed to swap games to allow Dover to play St. Thomas, and Keene to play ConVal. Pelham & Windham do a similar thing with soccer. To play cross divisional games, you need 4 schools to tango.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

"To extend the hyperbole a bit more - schools can choose to not play certain opponents because the opponent is deemed too good or conversely the opponent isn't (or hasn't been) competitive for years. Thus allowing a team to "add" more games against better opponents. I think BG played Winni girls twice in the past and played North girls twice last year, not sure who they dropped - although it may be have been Concord. Sure it could hurt you seedings wise, but in the long run come playoff time seeing a better team twice is quite helpful. As opposed to winning by 50+ and the backlash that brings against a weaker opponent. Hey it happens in here - I seem to remember the backlash against PA beating I think Kingswood."

Schools rarely - it does happen - but rarely drop weaker teams form their schedule because every team gets a schedule and someone has to play the. You can't just drop the Keene High basketball team because they are not competitive and you don't want to drive there. If that happens the competition committee usually comes down on you hard. Again, coaches can give feedback and ask AD's to add or drop games, but coaches USUALLY have no control over the schedule.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

FormerFalcoln wrote: I have talked to two DI AD's @ games this fall who said they are NOT scheduling Pembroke as long as Alosa is coaching.

Interesting that the competition committee will come down on you if you remove the weaker team from your schedule, but yet the above is OK?  What about the converse.  By many accounts BG will be strong this year... Let's say BG decides to schedule PA and 18 other schools catch wind of that and decide to remove BG from their schedule.  Is that allowed?

Personally, I don't think it's OK for individual coaches to allow their personal feelings against another coach or the hiring practices, academic policies, discipline policies, or transfer policies of another school play into the equation. Yeah, yeah - I remember they all say he's recruiting or attracting players to the district. (As an aside, I've heard Central may have picked up a couple of Memorial players - if true - does that mean Central could be accuesed of recruiting those players?)

Again, I state - the NHIAA hasn't banned the PA Basketball program even though they obstensibly have evidence of some level of recruiting (but perhaps not enough to reach the level of punishment or not a strong enough case).  Thus, they shouldn't be discluded "just because" a set of coaches doesn't like the head coach.  Put them on the schedule because they are a member institution and then let those school's AD/Coach's petition to have them taken off.

Do you see my logic?  It extends beyond the current situation to any generic situation.

Also do you see any problem with the competition committee made up of member schools placed into division solely based on the size of their school regardless of each of their teams ability to compete making "decisions" regarding what constitutes a good excuse to not play any other team in the division? If there's no guidelines for what constitutes a valid reason, then we have what we have - a bad situation getting worse. Also let's face it - the AD takes quite a bit of input from the coach on all these matters. It's then up to the AD to decide how to proceed.

BTW: Thankfully the basketball people are still involved unlike those football people who complain that it's not basketball season, but yet won't post in the football board Twisted Evil Razz

Last edited by JAF on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a query about the competition committee...)

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum