@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

2014 Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2014 Season

Post  nhball9 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I haven't seen any chatter going on here? Where are all the BG guys? So far Central is 2-0 and who saw that coming? Alvirne is 0-2 and who saw that coming? Who is doing what in D1 baseball this year?
I can see Londonderry, BG, Keene, Alvirne (yes they will be there), Spaulding as being the top dogs.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: 2014 Season

Post  JAF on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:52 am

Just like other sports - the volume of posters is down.. One or two loud ones, but that's it. I think some are over at the high school baseball web - probably a better resource than this sports forum anyway as this is primarily a hoop junkies delight and information source.

Pitching more than a #1 will carry the day as will of course being able to hit the other teams #2 and beyond. Without Brown being effective, Alvirne could be in for a long season - yesterday their starter didn't make it out of the first I'm told. Exeter has shown some moxie - they're 2-0 too. Keene will be tested early... Concord is always a tough team.

I think you'll see the NHIAA tiebreaker computer fail come June as there's going to be a lot of teams right around .500. Like last year a 11/12 seed could take the take as it'll be all about pitching matchups. There could more than one low seed 13-16 knocking off a high seed 1-4 just because their #1 is better - leaving the teams in the middle to duke it out.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGeneral on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 am

you better see Alvirne early because Lee throws everyone the first couple weeks of every seasons to find out who his number 3 is and he only lets each pitcher throw a couple innings. They will have one of the best pitching staffs in D1. With Brown and their big lefty as thier 1-2 punch. Brown signed with Northeastern and throws in the mid 80's and he's only going to get better with his 6'5" light frame. And I hear the little brown already verballed with BC as an infielder?? Not sure if thats true but i do know he's an unreal athlete as I saw him play hoops this year.

Londonderry,Keene, BG, North have good staffs as well.

TheGeneral
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Alvirne lefty is junior Derek Hudson... He took over in vs. Central when Brown faltered early and held Central in check the rest of the way.

I'd add Exeter to your list - 1 run in two games and 17 innings so far (11 innings 0 runs vs. North, 1 run 6 innings vs. Trinity). Wonder what they have left for today's match vs. BG.

Again - mostly every team has a solid #1 - it's the 2/3's that are going to decide things. Quite a few lefties this year too!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Little bit of D2 talk

Post  SeacoastBall on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

D2 is going to be top heavy with Windham who I believe didn't lose many players off last years semi-final run. Portsmouth is young but is going to hammer the ball I personally saw the Oyster River game and the ball was hit all over the yard including a freshman who went opposite field with a bomb of a home run, never got the players name. I saw a pitcher hitter come in cold and almost go yard with a long double. The only issue I saw was pitching. Gofftstown will be very tough they bring back a few young pitchers that throw hard and they are year in and year out tough. St Thomas brings Mckenna to the table heard he hit two homers in his first game. I expect Hollis Brookline to battle into the top half of the standings.

SeacoastBall
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  phildawson1234 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Been watching a lot of games around the state. Just a guy from Amherst that loves High School Baseball! A lot of talk about Spaulding and BG and Londenderry. That's acceptable. Although, Not enough talk about Keene. That pitching staff has depth and the lineup looks good too. Got my eye on Parenteau for player of the year. Galanes in the outfield is unstoppable. With 8 returning starters, this team is hungry for a post season run! Zach Joyal in that catching spot is dangerous to steal against. I wouldn't want to play Keene in the ladder end of the season. Stephen Bianco has potential Cy Young written all over him. Neil Robinson looks like the best closer in the state. Keep on chuggin blackbirds!!

phildawson1234
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Stop the season. Looks like with that line-up we will see Keene face Londonderry in the ship. Better circle 4/21 vs. BG, 4/28 @ Londonderry, and 5/2 @ Alvirne before we get too crazy.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Bert54the1 wrote:Stop the season.  Looks like with that line-up we will see Keene face Londonderry in the ship.  Better circle 4/21 vs. BG, 4/28 @ Londonderry, and 5/2 @ Alvirne before we get too crazy.
But ya gotta like the enthusiasm!

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 on Thu May 01, 2014 8:03 am

Anybody taking notice of Timberlane and their 6-2 mark? Pay attention to Jason Hughes, just a sophomore and is already the starting quarterback, was the key piece to ending the basketball streak, and now he's playing shortstop and coming in for relief like he's Pedro in Cleveland in 1999.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

2014 Season

Post  FormerFalcoln on Fri May 02, 2014 8:00 am

Keene will be a solid team with a 5 or 6 seed but could make a run. they do have good coaching in Coach Moylan, and solid pitching, nothing amazing, but they have 3 kids who locate the ball well. Dover has started well, but the schedule right now has been kind to them - a quality win over BG does deserve some respect and they might be the real deal. Timberlane has only played two good teams and they were easily defeated in both games. Spaulding is the most talented team with the bulk of kids playing on the State Championship Post 7 legion team wearing Red for the Raiders. They can hit - no question they can hit, they have ok pitching, and ok defense.

My prediction is Pinkerton, Spaulding, Londonderry, Keene, as the top 4 with the possibility of BG or Dover cracking the top 4 come tourney time.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 am

Alvirne (3-3) will also make some noise - 7-6 loss to Pinkerton a game after Brown & Hudson pitched/lost vs. Central and 1-0 loss to Spaulding in 10 innings (Brown/Flohr). Seems they've settled on 3 starters with Brown, Hudson, Flohr. The defense played quite well against BG. As always, it's all about the hitting - they got the timely ones... Tough one for them today in Keene, but it is at home which is a difference maker.

Looks like Central, Exeter, and North are recently headed in the wrong direction after what was good starts.

Next 5 games for Dover - Londonderry, Timberlane, Salem, Spaulding, & Keene - that'll show everyone one way or another what they are made of!

Hard to believe most teams are "on schedule"... There's probably 6 teams that have to makeup a game from this week (BG/South on Fri 5/9, Dover/Salem on Thu 5/8, Bedford/Memorial from 4/30)

I think playoffs will be all about #1 matchups and which team survives. Which highly ranked team wants to face G from Trinity?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Fri May 02, 2014 12:16 pm

D2 Action on WTSN today - STA @ PHS at 5:30 - listen online at wtsnam1270.com

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Assessment

Post  TheGeneral on Mon May 05, 2014 3:05 pm

*Dover seems to be the real deal, they have a bunch of solid players that play the game hard.
*Saw Winni vs BG play - great game Winni's lefty is very good, granted BG had there #3 or #4 going (ferland?) who was around the plate with a good curveball and a mid- 70's fastball. (hittable). Without Winni's lefty on the mound they will struggle to stay in games.
*BG - Lost against Alvirne, but Brown threw so that gave BG little chance to win.
*Keene is impressive
*Salem is winning somehow
*Londonderry is Londonderry = good
*Concord is surprising me = good

At this point i feel it's wide open for atleast 4-5 teams!!

TheGeneral
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon May 05, 2014 9:00 pm

hmmm.. if the BG pitcher was throwing mid-70's in your opinion, then what was the winny pitcher throwing - I was told he was very slow...  FWIW: Mid 70's isn't even close to what Jason is throwing :-)  He had an off day with respect to control that's for sure.   So far this season he's allowed 1 run to score in 3 outings and that was in one of those 1st/3rd situations where BG decided to get the out and allow the run to score. He beat Exeter 7-0 w/ 4 hits, 10K's throwing 6 innings, Londonderry 14-1 win w/ 5 Ks and 1 hit thru 5 innings, and Winni for 6 and 0 runs, too many walks, 2 hits, and quite a few dbl plays, and 7 K's.  I'll let him know when he gets home tonight that someone thinks he's a 3 or a 4 based on his Winni performance - maybe that'll light a fire under him to concentrate a bit more :-)

Concord lost 1-0 to Bedford today and they have Merri and Keene on the road this week...  Haven't seen them, but I'm told they're a middle team.

Salem will be tested over the next 4 games including today (Trinity, Dover, Timberlane, & Londonderry).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Dover is solid they won't defeat themselves. Lupi leads an okay staff. Coach Carver, i think thats his name, is a good coach will keep them even.

Londonderry is probably the best all around team, despite losing to BG and Dover. When Del Signore or Corey throw they hare tough to beat. Londonderry can swing it and Demas is a smart guy.

Bishop Guertin is the best defensive team I have seen in the state thus far. Their pitching staff may be the deepest too, with Ferlan, Williams, DiPasquale, and Burbank with some quality arms. If BG's bats great hot they will be tough to beat.

Pinkerton is solid and experienced from last years deep run. Pinkerton averages 7 runs per game, and has some solid pitching.

Alvirne and Keene are finding their stride. Both teams have good pitching staffs with 3 viable starters each.

Spaulding and Concord aren't as strong as in the past. Both have a tough time a the plate. Spaulding is younger which could be bad or good depending on your viewpoint. Both Concord and Spaulding have capitalized on an easy beginning schedule.

Timberlane is a dangerous team. They get Jake Damphousse back this week which strengthens their rotation, and they always have a decent lineup.

Two sleepers in DI........Memorial and Bedford. Mermorial's record is not indicative of their talent. They may be one of the best offensive teams in DI averaging about 8 runs per game. The issue for Memorial is they don't have a stud arm. Bedford is not gonna blow team out but will scrap and compete to stay in games.

North is sliding in the wrong direction at the wrong time. They have little offense at the moment and fielding has been rough.

Salem is surprising but somehow they always manage to be good. the benefits of having a great coach are on display in Salem.

South and Winny might be done. South still has to play Dover, Londonderry, BG, Spaulding, and North to play. Winny still has Dover, Londonderry, Pinkerton, Keene, and Alvirne left. Both teams lack offense and each has an ace (McHardy and Dunn respectively) but that can only take you so far.

It is high school baseball so almost anything can happen. Can Dover stay the course? Who will nip at their heals. Top 8 are Londonderry, Dover, BG, Pinkerton, Alvirne, Keene, Timberlane, and Concord. Spaulding is just on the outside looking in.

But this is just one man's opinion....

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGeneral on Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Sorry JAF (DAD), wasn't trying to offend anyone. I assumed he was BG's #3 seeing that it was their third game of the week, sorry if i insulted you in anyway. But I did say he looked good, which I thought would be a compliment?? throwing in the mid-high 70's with a curveball at the HS level #getsyouwins

Dover didn't make any mistakes yesterday, I love the way they play the game #hard.

TheGeneral
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Three weeks and and a couple of days remain in the regular season.  I have only seen 10 teams at this point so I decided to take a look at the records on The NHIAA web-site.

Alvirne (5-4) Has played a decent schedule to date and have outscored their opponents 44-31 and that includes a 13-6 loss to Londonderry yesterday. Their four  losses are against teams 24-11.  They may have the pitching and a few tie-breakers  to finish in top four.  Although their 1-0 loss to Spaulding may put them at #5.

Bedford  (4-5) has beaten 3 teams with a combined record of 6-21 AND Concord in a 1-0 game. Their 5 losses are against teams a combined 16-27.  Their upcoming stretch of opponents could be difficult, their next 7 are against the wood, 45-19.

BG has solid pitching and a 5-3 record. They have outscored their 8 opponents 35-17.  Take away an impressive win over Londonderry and their victories are against teams who are 11-24.  Their 3 loses against teams 19-7.  But if they are pitching and playing defense, they could be their at the end.  Four games in the next 5 days ending with a road trip to Timberlane.

Concord (6-4) has wins against teams a combined 13-41.   It is my understanding that their ace has thrown 228 pitches in the last 7 days.  Game Changer is a great web-site.  Next three against teams 17-10 will tell a bit more.

Dover is a perfect 8-0, what more can I say.  Top level #1 arm gives them a solid chance.  Last two wins on the road against Londonderry and Timberlane show they are for real.

Exeter (4-5)  has wins against teams a combined 12-22.  With 9 games left they figure to end at .500

Keene (6-3)  has wins against teams 21-30.  Losses against teams 20-8 in which they were outscored 3-9.  Pitching and Defense?  Looking ahead to 3 of their next 4 on the road, including Dover.

Londonderry sitting at 8-2 is still the team to beat.  Their #1 and #2 are two of the best in D1.  Experienced.  Will finish the season in the two spot. Heard a suspension may be cause for some concern.

Central (3-5)  has outscored opponents 9-4 in three wins.  In their five loses have been outscored 14-31.   Losses are against teams a combined 32-13. Their #1 has been tough.

Memorial (2-6) has scored a ton of runs and given-up a bunch, but lost a 4-2 decision at Keene.   Interesting.  Where did the pitching come from?  Need pitching and defense to win in this division.

Merrimack 2-6.   Have outscord their opponents 16-2 in two wins. Their two opening losses were close @Dover and @Timberlane.  Last four losses? Outscored 11-43.   Just like Memorial, only going as far as pitching and defense takes them.  Scored 6 against Concord’s Ace yesterday, but surrendered a dozen. Concord scored four runs on a one-hopper to the box.  

North 4-6 in New Hampshire have wins against teams with combined records of 10-26.  Lots of questions.  Outscored 7-32 in those 6 losses.  

South at 1-9 have been outscored 0-20 in last three games and outscored 15-69 in their 9 losses.  Not much left for the Panthers except a difficult schedule ahead.

Pinkerton: Although nothing is guaranteed in D1 HS baseball, 7-3 Pinkerton should win a minimum of 13 games.  That will secure them a top four seed.  Well coached with a good shortstop and second baseman and some solid pitching.

Salem (4-4) has beaten 3 teams combined 4-23 AND 8-2 Londonderry.  They have also lost to four teams who are combined 17-20 by 16-34 run margin.   I heard they are young so it may take awhile longer to figure them out.  Dover, Timberlane, and Londonderry in the next 5 days may prove interesting.

Spaulding (6-3) has won 4 straight but against teams combined 12-25.  Their losses, by a combined score of 6-20, have been against the top tier.

Timberlane (6-4) has only scored 4 runs in their 4 losses, but given-up 27.  On the year they average 3.5 runs per game.  In 7 of their 10 games they have given up 3 runs or less.   Pitching and defense doesn’t appear to be their problem especially in games that I have seen.

Trinity (3-5) have scored 13 runs in their 5 losses while giving up 44.  A tough schedule with Pinkerton, Londonderry, Keene, and BG awaits them.

Winnacunnet (1-Cool has lost 8 straight after beating South 9-1 in their opener.  During their losing streak they have scored as many runs as in their opener (9) while surrendering 53.  Pinkerton, Londonderry, Keene, Alvirne, and the pros from Dover are still left.  Ouch.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbaseball23 on Fri May 09, 2014 11:36 pm

[quote="TheGeneral"]
*Saw Winni vs BG play - great game  Winni's lefty is very good, granted BG had there #3 or #4 going (ferland?) who was around the plate with a good curveball and a mid- 70's fastball. (hittable). Without Winni's lefty on the mound they will struggle to stay in games.

In response to that Winnacunnet vs. BG game last friday at Holman, the lefty that Winna had on the mound was sophomore pitcher Danny Fields. He's pitched a few times this year out of relief and got his first start last Friday and was very impressive. Like JAF said he's not the hardest pitcher in the world but does a good job keeping hitters off balance. MacHardy is more of the power pitcher at the number 1 spot in the rotation, but if Winnacunnet can somehow find a way to win a few more games down the stretch and make a run at the playoffs, MacHardy and Fields could be a tough duo come playoff time if both can keep pitching well.

nhbaseball23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Mentioned the other day in a post how cool the idea of the web-ste Game Changer is.  It gives fans the opportunity to check out how some other teams are doing. A few teams in NH make use of this site. It is like reading the paper and seeing how players and teams in the Major Leagues did yesterday. It is a great idea. I wish that I thought of it.

Keene, Bishop Guerrtin, Souhegan, Merrimack, Pinkerton, a a couple of JV programs use it.  And In the summer and fall you can also follow programs at tournaments etc.  As the newspapers provide less and less coverage to HS sports Game Changer gives the fan something to follow.  

However, I am pretty confused how poorly this app is being executed by some teams.  For instance the other day Bishop Guertin beat Merrimack.The game was recorded on Game Changer by both teams.  In the top of the 6th inning a sub from BG pinch hit and struck out swinging.  The 3rd strike kicked off the catcher's glove and went to the screen.  The batter reached first base and a runner scored.   In Bishop Guertin's Game Changer this player was given a line drive single to right field and an RBI.  Question  The Merrimack Game Changer appropriately scored the play in their Game Changer.  No player's name is necessary, but you can look it up.

As a fan this is the equivalent of me reading the Union Leader on Saturday morning and an article states a player scored 20 points in a basketball game, when in fact she/he scored 8.  This doesn't happen. In basketball, the host school provides a home book and a home clock person for accuracy and accountability.  What about baseball?  Is accuracy unimportant there?  I actually saw, in person, a few days ago a soft one-hopper back to the pitcher with the bases loaded, score four runs.  Yes, just like little league.  I guess that would be a grand slam in the Bishop Guertin book.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Sat May 10, 2014 3:08 pm

What if the GameChanger is done after the fact? Think about that. The person that runs the account gets the book after the game but goes by whats in the book.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Observer,

Then who is doing the book during the game?   Someones grandmother who thinks that when her grandson makes contact it was a hit.  

If the coach sees it later--his pinch hitter who struck-out was given a single and RBI-- when inputing the plays and game activity after the game, doesn't he know that his pinch hitter didn't hit a line-drive single to right?

You are probably correct. I have noticed that BG inputs their games after the fact. No big deal.  That's the way I would do it, because I still like a traditional book.  And yes, maybe BG's input isn't by the coach, but the player in question's father?  Having coached a lot of games in my life, I don't think I ever went home after a game, looked at the book, and couldn't recall 100% of what happened batter by batter.  Watching the BG's coach's game management, it seems that he is certainly on top of the game.  Therefore, I'm sure he could recall every batter of his team's game. I, as the head coach, would study the book, before giving to the person who inputs.

If it is required to have an official book and clock person in basketball, why not a book person for baseball.   Yes, the home team has an official book, but less have an Official, paid book.  Paid by the host school on a table outside the dugout between both benches. When I was young my town used to pay teenagers, 15/16 year olds, to keep an official book during little league games.  How about finding a unbiased teacher or senior citizen to go to the field like an umpire does and be the paid, official book.  It would cost a school an extra $300 dollars a season.  Official book, official stats, not made up ones.  They can then be recorded and saved.  I think it is a beautiful idea.  Just like college.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 am

What if the book was being done by the student manager in the dugout? And whomever is transposing into game changer couldn't read the writing. Who really knows? Even the book's scoring can be wrong.

Official book is kept by the home team. Those that use technology are subject to technical failures. I was at a game yesterday and someone said they went back to the physical book because their app or i-Pad crashed or something (perhaps ran out of power - who knows). In both hoops and baseball - it is possible to designate a non home team official scorer.

The "going rate" is not 300 season... For 8-10 home games that's 30-35 for 2-3 hours of work... For purists, such as yourself do you want just "anyone" being paid that? My middle son's college team is officially scored by "someone" from the athletic dept. Suffice to say he doesn't know the difference between an "infield single" or "error on throw" or "error on catch" for a bungled bunt play. So it's 99% of the time scored as infield single to (pick your position). My son's a pitcher - guess what - that affects his ERA. In his first year a long fly ball that settled in the CF's glove only to be dropped because he ran into the fence was scored a home run. If bases were loaded and there were two outs - how many extra "earned runs" is that for the "error"?

Unless you want to train someone or by luck have someone that understands the rules and nuances in baseball - you get what you get. Just be happy the game is scored.

BTW: College coaches in general don't give two rats $$$$$$$ about what your high school statistics are - it could be some family member running the book helping inflate value...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 am

Jaf,

As sure as the sun rose in the New Hampshire sky this beautiful Mother's Day, there will be a debate in another month when Johnny or Tommy isn't named 1st team All-state. And you know that non-selection can happen for any number of reasons. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had an accurate portrayal? Baseball is a game based on statistics...quality at-bats, RBI with 2-outs and runners in scoring position, pitches seen with two strikes, batting average in temperatures under 50 degrees....I love stats.

Sure college coaches don't give a two rat's $$$$$ about high school stats...They only care about what you can do, what you might do, and later, what you are doing for them.

I'm sorry they guy who scores your son's college games doesn't "know the difference between an "infield single" or "error on throw" or "error on catch" for a bungled bunt play." Yes, that certainly effects his pitching statistics. or some pitchers that may even effect their psyche. I hope that's not the case. But we are not talking about brain surgery here. We are talking about knowing baseball, knowing the difference between a line-drive single to right field and a strike-out, and scoring it properly. Just as safe and out calls are subjective decisions, deciding on a hit or error is sometimes subjective. It always has and always will. We don't have replay like the MLB so we can watch the play a dozen times. Knowing the difference between a line-drive single to right field and a strike-out isn't subjective.

10 home games x $30-$35 per game is $300-$350 extra per school. I'm not paying these "scorekeepers" by the hour. What's the big deal? You tell me there are not 50 knowledgable baseball people in the state, maybe retired seniors, that wouldn't love a part time job. Basketball purists are calling for a shot clock and would undoubtedly increase expenses for the schools...At a track meet, are there not paid teachers etc who record time and measure distance?

Yea, four extra earned runs on that home run/error you describe can impact a pitchers ERA, That's just as unfortunate, as the batter who smokes a line drive only to see it land in a diving out-fielder's glove and the next batter hits a swinging bunt that lands perfectly for a single. That is the beauty of baseball. That's why you find people who truly love the game and understand it and have them score it. In the situation that you describe with your middle son's college games, I have seen that on the professional level, but in the case I remember, the center fielder ran to the gap, leaped, caught the ball, but when coming down his glove hand impacted the fence and the ball was dropped. The play was not an error.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sun May 11, 2014 10:45 am

Hmm... maybe I wasn't clear enough 30-35 is not enough for some people to spend essentially 3-4 hours - you have to be there at least 30 minutes prior, you have to sit through the whole game, and then you have tally things up afterwards. Schools are having a hard enough time getting supplies for academics - ask to put a paid scorekeeping position into the budget - oy... Proably won't happen.

Selection of all state players is done by the coaches and it's a process probably very similar to how youth baseball all star teams are selected. The stronger coaches and stronger opinions win out. I put even less stock in those selections - at least the fringe players. The coaches go by what they see and who they either "work around" or don't want to see on the mound.

The play for my son is a had to be there - I wasn't, but I was told afterwards the run into the fence wasn't hard or jarring... It really doesn't matter that much to me, but the point was a subjective ruling. Ask the Texas Rangers official scorekeeper how hard it is to make a subjective ruling when your ace is on the mound and has a perfect game going... He had to call Elias sports bureau on the ball that was misplayed by the fielders. I've seen that same play - ball drops between 2 or more fielders called a hit 999 times out of 1000, but because Darvish has a perfect game going - it's called an error. And they have REPLAY!

BTW: I wasn't at the Merri game and I do agree there's a world of differenece between line drive and passed ball/wild pitch dropped 3rd strike. Luckily for game changer you can fix that :-)... I know for a fact that people do look at game changer and make comments back to the person entering each play. After the game HS parents are trying to get things changed from hit to error or error to hit based on how *they perceived* things and whether their Johnny was affected. Truly a debate for another day though!!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Sun May 11, 2014 2:25 pm

I hear you about the $30-$35 for four hours work and how it's not that attractive of a proposition for most people. I wish I could retire and take that job. On a beautiful day like today I'd gladly volunteer to do a double header and rake the field in between games. High school coaches and officials must come from a different cut of cloth. How much money do they actually make per hour in the course of their season? Coaches spend countless hours scouting , watching film, and running practices for little compensation . Officials travel, arrive at games early enough to watch JV games...they certainly arn't killing it with their paycheck.

Usually, i just glance at the box score of the game. I like to see who pitched for a particularly team and their stats--1st pitch strikes, strike to ball ratio, but yesterday, I happened to be looking for a specific play in the BG v. Merrimack game, so I went to the "plays" section where you get a pitch by pitch narrative of the game, and I just happened to see the before-mentioned "line drive." It definitely took me by surprise.

Darvish''s perfect game was ridiculous. That was either a hit or the ideal situation for the "team" error that people used to call for. Rios needed to take charge.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum