@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Pembroke Academy

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Simple Solution

Post  1moreknowitall on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 am

Doesn't Trinity have an opening? Sounds to me like Coach Alosa would be the perfect fit....kids could play at Trinity....live wherever they want....and go there for basketball.

With that said....he might not be the easiest person to hire right now either.

1moreknowitall
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: Pembroke Academy

Post  manchfan on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am

Former Falcoln,
I agree with what you saying 100%, but keep in mind that the reason that Alosa is not speaking is because he was probably told to do so by the school and SAU. People that are against Pembroke are going to be against them no matter what Alosa says and people that are for Pembroke are going to be for them no matter what Alosa says, so from the school's stand point it makes no sense to have him speak.

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am

If all the PRIVATE schools are part of the NHIAA then the EXACT same rules should apply to them as well. Especially when the PRIVATE school, amazingly enough, grants "scholarships" to elite players. If that's not recruiting I don't know what is. Or if a student transfers in before his junior year and his dad who was his coach at his public high school is suddenly appointed assistant coach at his sons new PRIVATE school. And once again, you just can't wrap your head around the FACT that these families moved to Pembroke on their own, without whisperings in their ears, that's just ignorance on your part. Alosa has been to the NHIAA and defended himself, he must not have been at the meeting you, who must be an AD or Principal, were at (no one from the public was allowed) Why don't you ask for the transcripts from last falls meetings when PA petitioned for the two transfers waivers, his testimony (in the mock court) should be in that.

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:55 am

I am not an AD or principal. The report that he was not at the meeting was made public in on websites, the papers, and news media. I have a working knowledge of how the NHIAA operates. Private schools like Trinity - all anyone has to do is cite religious preference as the reason for transfer. That's it. Yes, more room for wiggle with Trinity, BG, Brady, etc... we are one of a few states that still allows private schools to compete with public. 42 other states have different conferences / divisions where private schools compete solely against each other. Because of this, the NHIAA member schools agree to "play by the same rules". I will say this, in my over 20 years of following and being involved in HS sports in NH, this is the most egregious case of "possible" - key word - possible - recruitment ever.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 pm

who oversees the NHIAA? Again, I want to see solid proof of this recruitment scam. Bring forth the solid proof alot is at stake for these kids

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Separate your issues... Take the emotion out...

#1 - Student athletes leaving one district for another must get a transfer from the sending school. If not signed, they must sit out one year. That's policy and not germane to the PA situation. That happens in the public to private transfer too (reference North -> BG, Paige Parkinson a few years ago). She sat out her year, then played this year. Most of the time waivers are signed... See the Manchester School District for multiple instances. You can call this 'attraction' or 'recruiting' - it doesn't matter and certainly more than one school is guilty of it. However, no one says we're not scheduling (for example) Central because they attracted players to Doc Wheeler's style vs. perhaps Jack Quick's.

#2 - PA petitioned up to D1, was accepted. Now the AD's are refusing to schedule them. And rumour is the AD's of their old division were going to do the same thing. I think that's a bit of an over the top reaction. I also find it hard to believe people support that position just on the basis of either "I don't like Alosa" or "I think PA recruits". I would be more apt to support that decision if it were a D2 team trying to play down in D3 - just so they could beat up on smaller schools. This is a small school looking to play up - what is the fear? What's to stop any committee from making a unilateral decision in any sport to not schedule a program for any reason. It could be your school district and how would you feel? Oh we're not scheduling "some team" any more just because they're not competitive and haven't been for years (of course that wouldn't happen because everyone wants a patsy to play). Furthermore as I read here - it's a subset of the AD's who run the committee and have strong-armed other ADs to follow suit. If true, that's even more disturbing.

Regardless of how one feels towards Alosa - attraction to coaches happens. Funny how people rail against successful coaches and jump right to the recruiting argument as the "primary reason" (excuse). It's been going on a long time and it's not just a private school issue nor is it just a basketball issue. Years ago during the BG recruits football players to Tojo's program blog wars I said the same could happen in any sport for any public school. I remember quite a bit negative feedback - mostly along the lines of no one would sell their house in one district and buy in another district just for a coach....

For anyone to indicate that no one would move to PA just for academics - let's get real - you're just deflecting. Do you really know the academics of PA? What are you comparing them against? Do you have an extensive background in the collegiate admissions process?

I'm still befuddled how the NHIAA executives will get involved in the transfer process, but yet decide to not get involved when a subcommittee of which they oversee decides to now allow the program to have a schedule. I assume PA is a member in good standing since they are allowed to compete in every other sport. If PA was recruiting, then I would expect the NHIAA executives to be the ones to "black ball" the program - why allow a subcommittee to decide whom to include or disclude. So what's next, we're not going to schedule Pinkerton Academy in any sport because it's unfair for them to attract greater than 3000 students which is largely disproportionate to the remainder of the member schools?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Well put! I still ask, jury and executioner? Are they the judge, jury and executioner? and again, in this day and age of emails, texts etc where is the evidence? How are they going to justify taking away these kids year of basketball based on allegations with no hard evidence? I imagine they're going to be very angry parents if these powers that be get their way. I want to see evidence not hear someone's opinion.

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm

this site needs an Edit button Smile

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 pm

You can edit your own posts as far as I know - there's an edit button that appears after you post...

Just so it's clear - I have no relationship whatsoever with Pembroke Academy. I don't know Matt Alosa and couldn't pick him out in any crowd of coaches. I don't know the families involved. I just see this is an indictment on how influential a small group of people with an agenda can be and think that others ought to look at this issue in that light rather than grinding your axe against one particular person.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

JAF wrote:

For anyone to indicate that no one would move to PA just for academics - let's get real - you're just deflecting.  Do you really know the academics of PA?  What are you comparing them against?  Do you have an extensive background in the collegiate admissions process?

Pembroke Academy's Robotics Team, led by science teacher David Kelly, who received the Christa McAuliffe Sabbatical in 2011, was among 348 teams competing for only 21 slots allocated to the New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont  region to be sent to the WORLD Robotics Championship in Anaheim California.  New Hampshire won 10 to which Pembroke Academy has 3 of those slots. Only three other NH schools were selected. FYI

These students are competing right now as we speak!

Last edited by Twenty two on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolltide01 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Answer these questions and a lot of people will be happy - how many of the PA basketball players came up through(middle school, there should be some?) Epsom, Chichester, Pembroke and even hooksett? How many PA student athletes have ties to the AAU raiders?

Rolltide01
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

You do realize that most kids in the Pembroke area are Raiders as it happens to be the only AAU program in the northern part of the state. Of this years starting five and three that came off the bench P Welch has always been from Epsom, J Williams was from Epsom, M Curran from Hooksett, C Boucher from Hooksett, D Gage from Pembroke & C Justin from Chichester. Only Timbas from Bedford & Taylor from Belmont were Raiders who moved into the area, and it was before they even began high school.

All are/were Raiders with the exception of Boucher.

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Curran was never a Raider prior to attending Pembroke. also do notice that most of the kids on the memorial team we're on the bishop elite AAU team as well when the bishop Elite coach was coaching at Memorial. Also just wondering how many of the kids at Central all play on the same AAU team?

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Did we not make you ( or a lot of people) happy? 3 1/2 hours later and no comment? Disappointed the minority are who transferred? Not the amount of recruitments you expected? Why so silent?

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan12 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Point guard from Manchester Memorial girls hoop team played at West her Freshman year...Central Sophomore year...and Memorial this past year..recruiting? Academic reasons......if private.schools want to play with public than follow rules everyone follows...or schedule other private schools. If the coaches name at PA was anything but Alosa this would be a mute point. Trinity will play BG and Trinity but not PA? whole thing stinks.  Pinkerton and Concord AD'S behind this. Both former DII AD's.. Whole thing a joke

Hoopfan12
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

The Manchester girl is not considered a transfer. The by laws of the NHIAA allow a student who. Attends a school with multiple public schools in the same district to switch schools if they enrol in an academic offering that is not offered at the school they attend. Years ago - like 20 - West had girls who were supposed to attend Central but West offered a class in women's literature that Central did not. Same thing happened when some Memorial football players enrolled at Central in the early 90s because Memorial cut a class offering these kids wanted to take that Central kept.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Again, stop comparing Trinity and BG to PA. You are comparing apples to oranges as kids at those schools, like it or not, athletics or not, are citing RELIGIOUS PREFERENCE ACADEMICS.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Don't forget Manchester also did redistricting that effected some kids this year, that could be the case as well. People moving in the same town is not as big a deal either. Horrible attempt to justify your point.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan12 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 pm

They redistricted three times in three years? Not horrible attempt at all. Point is ...not every kid who transfers his/her senior year or junior year just found god. Kid from MV whose father jumped on staff is case in point. Know for a fact that was not religious reasons... Again..if you want to play public school sports...play by public school rules... 40+ states have now forced Catholic schools to form their own league...Time for NH to get in board

Hoopfan12
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Falcon, why are you so willing to accept all those convoluted reasons for transferring between Manchester schools and yet anyone who may transfer to Pembroke must be doing so for illegitimate reasons?I know of a young man who sat in my living room who was from Memorial, he innocently told me himself how the people at Trinity offered him a fullboat scholarship.I can tell you the transfer had nothing what so ever to do with religion and everything to do with basketball.you are looking for a boogie man who doesn't exist. take note of twenty twos description of Pembrokes starting lineup this year, again, no boogeyman. And if there is wrong doing why Cannot someone bring forth evidence..PROOF
this is an issue that is being played out among adults yet affecting innocent kids

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Do you seriously think that every ATHLETE that transfers central to Memorial ect is doing it to get a better class offering??

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:52 am

You guys are correct it does happen kids moving around

However, It was Pembroke who brought it to an art form.

Kafani Williams lived in Concord, Timbas Bedford, Taylor Belmont. They both have little brothers in the program. Curran went to Central. Rene Maher went to Concord Middle School. Wilson was from Londonderry, Presutti was from MV. The fact is that is alot of players coming in from other areas is undeniable (but here it comes anyway) All are Granite State Raiders

Also the shadiness of where this years transfers would live (together in Rene's old apartment owned by Mr. Welch?)

Also, Matt Alosa being shall we say less than forthcoming with the NHIAA offices. He claimed he did not know Presutti or Wilson before this fall.

These are points that need to be addressed. Pembroke was given that opportunity to explain.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 am

Hoopfan12: Why do you keep bringing the catholic schools into the argument? What do you have against them? There are 4 in the state - so it's not like perhaps many larger states where a league could more easily be formed.

Reality is no one cares when a program attracts or recruits when the program is losing - the ONLY time it's an issue is when they are winning. Trust me I know from experience when a team from one of the catholic schools loses there are plenty of "cat calls" against the team. No one has a problem with it.

Since Trinity of course in your mind recruits why don't they win in basketball every single year - look up the champions for the last 10, 20, 30 years - how many times does Trinity's name appear? Now tell me how many times does Central appear? How many "players" move or "find a class" at Central they want. I know of a QB within the 10 years that said Central had some class he wanted because he didn't want to play at West - so he was helped and found a way to play at the school and for a coach he wanted. It's total BS that anyone believes it's OK for this to happen in Manchester, but not elsewhere. Do you really believe Central had a star RB transfer into their district this year from a small (formerly) D6 school district for no reason other than wanting to play football at a school where maybe he could be noticed and hopefully get a scholarship? I'm sure if someone wanted to dig they could find plenty of examples, but they don't. But yet it is an issue and larger schools make it even more of an issue when a smaller school has the same thing happen. You know what they say about glass houses, right?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am

To Tom2: as hoooper points out these hids come from different towns. You keep using the cases of trinity where all kids come in from all over ,not a public school and the have a unique out- not saying it is ok, but it's the reality. You keep using Manchester schools like central and memorial where the kids are all still Manchester kids who do have multiple methods for moving between schools, not saying it is all on the up and up. hooper is dead on correct about how many and where these kids move from. Do I think there is an organized effort to get these kids to PA, yes. By whom, it looks like a combination of AAU influence and parental collusion. They raised the red flags with the denial of the two transfers this season. Does it happen at other schools? Sure does. Have they raised multiple red flags? Not really. Pembroke got sloppy. Now they have the attention of the entire basketabll establishment. Look on other forums and message boards, and parents of the players are responding by saying they chose to do this for better opportunities. One even is asking other schools to recruit her son next year so he can play. There IS organized, adult collusion that has placed PA nits situation. The kids are along for the ride, I agree. But please stop pissing on my leg and tell me it's raining.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

Hooper wrote:

Kafani Williams lived in Concord, Timbas Bedford, Taylor Belmont.  They both have little brothers in the program.  Curran went to Central.  Rene Maher went to Concord Middle School.  Wilson was from Londonderry, Presutti was from MV.  The fact is that is alot of players coming in from other areas is undeniable (but here it comes anyway)  All are Granite State Raiders

Also the shadiness of where this years transfers would live (together in Rene's old apartment owned by Mr. Welch?)

Also, Matt Alosa being shall we say less than forthcoming with the NHIAA offices.  He claimed he did not know Presutti or Wilson before this fall.

You asked what surrounding towns these students came from....

Williams originally came from the Epsom area, why then, if you believe he was from Concord, is there no record of him at Concord Middle School? Why don't you petition to see his transcripts.

What does the fact that Timbas and Taylor have younger brothers in the program have to do with  anything ? So, because they moved to Pembroke when they were 12, they shouldn't be able to play either?

Curran went to Hooksett schools ( within Pembroke's district) went to Central freshman year and for personal reasons left the state for a year. Upon returning chose not to go back to Central, which as it played out would have been a win win for him either way, even though his reason for choosing Pembroke had nothing to do with basketball.

Wilson and Presutti are not on the team. Wilson is still sitting out his penalty year per the NHIAA ruling and Presutti is a graduating senior. Matt Alosa did NOT say he did not know Presutti or Wilson before this fall.. He said he did not know they'd moved into the district until the school year began. In fact , when they did arrive, Pembroke's AD notified the NHIAA of their transfers as to comply with NHIAA rules.

The Mahers did not live in an apartment, it was a house,  and it was not owned by Mr Welch.  And no, the two transfers live elsewhere.

Like I said in an earlier post,  two boys on this years championship team were transfers into Pembroke from outside the district and it was before they'd even stepped foot in any high school.

JAF said it perfectly... It comes down to attraction to the coach!

If someone wants to move, that is not illegal and it certainly does not equate to recruiting!

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum