New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Pembroke Academy

+11
manchfan
1moreknowitall
FormerFalcoln
nhball9
tom2
Twenty two
EBlessNHSP
Ironman
Rolltide01
Hooper
BoscoD39
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Pembroke Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Pembroke Academy

Post  FormerFalcoln Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Here is the language that exists in the NHIAA bylaws that are penalties for recruitment:
1. A member school found to be in violation of any provision of this policy: (a) will be required to
forfeit all contests won in which a recruited student(s) participates and/or all points earned in any contest by a recruited student(s); (b) may be placed on probation and denied participation in the NHIAA State Championship Series for a period of not less than one year in the sport(s) in which the violation(s) occurred; (c) may be placed on suspension and denied any participation with any member school for a period of not less than one year in the sport(s) in which the violation(s) occurred; and/or (d) may be suspended from membership in the NHIAA for a period of not less than one (1) year.

So the DI ADs already have the authority according to the bylaws that Pembroke agrees to abide by, to deny them a schedule. No contesting that by Pembroke, the bylaws are already in place.

As to the kids, all of the players at Pembroke would be allowed to play under a new coach, no sitting out next season for kids currently in the program.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Any student athlete who meets the standard eligibility requirements under NHIAA bylaws can play next season, no sitting out. This was, and never has been about the kids, this is about the adults who have acted in manner of collusion to skirt the rules and create a basketball program based on AAU membership with the Raiders, atPembroke, who happens to be coached by a Raiders coach. Trust me, the NHIAA, ADs, and principals in DI do not want to see the kids sit out, but they have no other leverage over Pembroke since they have not abided by the NHIAA bylaws they agree to participate under.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac Thu May 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Dave's going to come back on my Saturday show this weekend if anyone wants to call in and discuss the subject- I think more people listened to the segment after the fact than live. Here it is if you missed it: https://soundcloud.com/justin-mcisaac/mcisaac-on-sports-4-26-14-pembroke-basketball-discussion

The show starts at 9 am on WTSN AM 1270, or listen online here: wtsnam1270.com

You can also get the station on the TuneIn Radio app for iPhone and Droid for free.

Call in at 603-742-1270 or 1-888-441-9876. Or if you're shy, or just want to be anonymous, e-mail me and I'll read it on air- justin@wtsnam1270.com

Last edited by JustinMcIsaac on Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The link thing is awful, clean that up Eliot!)

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Fri May 02, 2014 8:16 pm

I agree with Tom2 and Iron Man how this is really unfortunate for alot of kids that had nothing to do with it.

But you really have to hold PA responsible for that, not the NHIAA. The rules have been in the books a long time. The evidence is OVERWHELMING. The lack of control that the AD and the principal have there is mind boggling. Don't forget it started with Andrew Houde's mother saying in the concord monitor that Basketball was the reason they moved there. Nothing was done by the institution then, therefore you almost can't blame these kids and coaches for thinking it was legal or at least not a big deal.

What's really too bad, is these kids don't get to play, coaches reputations are seriously damaged, championships are tarnished, future teams are being ruined (does anyone seriously think Wilson, Timbas, Taylor are going to stay at PA if they don't have a legitimate schedule)
and the AD, and Principal just keep collecting a pay check.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 pm

If those boys leave PA where would they be allowed to play?

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  1moreknowitall Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 pm

They can play anywhere since I'm sure all of their families are moving in the next couple of months to another town because...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

1moreknowitall
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm

@Tom - yes they could play if they go to another school as long as it is proven that they are moving for academic and not athletic reasons. I they leave to go play somewhere else, then isn't that MORE evidence to the NHIAA that this was all collusion to get kids to PA for basketball? Look, they will have no other option than to fire Alosa, his staff, and hire someone else. Like it or not, as Hooper said, PA put themselves in this position and they KNEW what they were doing and did not think that the NHIAA or other ADs would ever do anything. Once they fire Alosa, he is pretty much unhirable in NH as a high school coach.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 pm

but it would be going for athletic reasons right? I have a son who did not go there for basketball but does have potential to play at the college level. If he misses his senior year playing he could miss out on a scholarship.. now he probably won't be able to play anywhere unless it was a $50,000 you up at school

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 pm

50,000 a year prep school...arg voice text..

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Tom, I am not sure who is giving you advice on scholarships and kids being seen. High school teams and seasons are not the primary way colleges evaluate and decide if a kid is scholarship material, they look more at the out of season AAU, showcase, etc to see kids play. To my knowledge talking to the three DII programs in NH thhis past winter, they really don't have too many NH kids on thier radar right now who are not in prep or going prep. If you want exposure for him in the high school season he needs to stand out, so bunching him with a pool of talent might not be the best option. Look at the kid from Berlin a couple of years ago the Arsenault kid, he did prep and landed at Plymouth. He was a DIII player BEFORE prep, gained nothing for a year of prep. The reason, he lost stock in prep as he was surrounded by better players, and was not as impressive as he was at Berlin. Just sayin... Look at Rene he is sitting at CSC, very little run last year. If they are DII or DI they will get offers no matter where they play.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Fri May 02, 2014 10:27 pm

But if they dont play..as will possibly be the case. Just doesn't seem good to miss out of your last year eligibility in high school. But good point about standing out. I guess we'll just see where the day takes us

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sat May 03, 2014 7:56 am

Try not to take this the wrong way, but one goes to college to get an education. I know nothing about the academics and athletics of the players involved.

College scholarships are few and far between, especially for basketball and they're limited. They also go year to year, meaning that if your child doesn't perform and someone the coach likes better (read that as - the new models always seem to impress more than the older models :-)) - then either your scholly is reduced or taken away.

I went to a seminar put on by Dynamite Sports 10? years ago. I bought their book for $10-15 - much of the numbers there still apply today... They are still out there - google them... Lots of *sound* advice. From their book, scholarships per year D1/Mens = 13.0, D2/Mens = 10.0, NAIA/Mens = 11/D1 - 6/D2, and JC = 16. Take those numbers divide them by 5 as that's the normal/average number of years it takes to graduate. Now take that number and divide it up even further based on what the coach sees as talent between the incoming class. For D1 that's 2.6 per year - if the incoming class is 5 players and everyone is equal maybe they get .5 each. Finally is the program fully funded? If not, then your piece of the bill is larger than you think. Story told at the seminar - if a coach has to decide between two softball players - one throws 65 MPH with good offspeed/curve and is a 3.5 GPA... The other throws 70 MPH with good offspeed/curve and is a 2.5 GPA. Which player does the coach take? Answer - first player because the coach knows the player will remain eligible and won't have to chase after the player to do their work.

D1 schollys are far and few between for NH kids - history proves that... Sure there are some, but if your child is going into his senior year and no one's been actively recruiting him/her through AAU, Elite, Camps, etc., then lower your expectations. Moral of the story - ask a lot of questions, do your research, don't just "believe" some AAU or HS coach. It's up to *you* to market your player. Know what kind of school you want to attend, visit the school, go to a camp at the school. The 2 boys I have that have played college athletics will tell you that the nice guy, recruiting coach will turn into the crazed, lunatic once you're at the school. Why? Because his job is on the line if you don't perform the way he saw when he recruited you. Think about it. If you don't perform - you sit. Make sure you really like the school. Does it pass the broken leg/arm test - that is if you get injured can you see yourself staying even if you weren't going to play your sport again.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Sat May 03, 2014 10:16 am

Sound advice. I also know about the d1 stats for nh kids. I dont have such expectatons..its not impossible, but the potential to play somewhere is for sure there. Have been approached by some d2 schools already. I would just like him to have the opportunity to fulfill his potential whatever that may be. losing a year of high school ball may not be the end all be all, but it sure doesn't help.
I was were responding to Falcon and someone else stating that the kids could just move on to another high school where there is a basketball program.I don't believe that makes too much sense. Pretty sure the NHIAA would not allow them to play anywhere unless its a private school.

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Sat May 03, 2014 10:23 am

also besides fulfilling potential,most want to see their kids continue to do the thing I love most

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Sat May 03, 2014 10:24 am

oops..THEY love most

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FormerFalcoln Sat May 03, 2014 10:28 am

If parents move to a school district, and the transfer affidavit is clearly written to indicate academics then jthey can play. See, like I said, Pembroke created a lose - lose situationby allowing the transfers of kids into PA for sports. Now if kids leave, then of course red flags will go up at the NHIAA. If PA signs off on the transfer and the new school signs off, then they will probably be ok. Like some of us have said, and Hooper spelled it out - Pembroke created this mess, the adults involved, created the mess for the kids. This is why PA administration - specifically Klink and Reardon should NEVER have let this happening the 1st place. I will GAURENTEE that either Klink or Reardon will lose thier job over this within a year. My guess is Klink takes the heat. Talking to another DII AD this week, they pointed out that is PA had the academic reputation supporters claim is the reason these kids went to PA, then why aren't the other programs like football, soccer, hockey, and baseball attracting kids to thier programs by way of transfer? They are not. So the lid on pandoras box is open, and there is only one way to close it.

FormerFalcoln
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Sat May 03, 2014 11:43 am

I am just one parent so I don't know what other people based  their decision on. Academically speaking, our choice was central or Pembroke. For basketball either would have been just fine,however academically, Pembroke is a much better fit for my son. Central was great for my daughter who was able to take all the good stuff they had to offer and go on to a great college..I have found now that my son thrives much more in a smaller environment academically.

Last edited by tom2 on Sat May 03, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

tom2
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sun May 04, 2014 8:02 am

I hear ya - I'm all for seeing NH kids go onto play collegiately - no matter where. It's 4 more years to follow their dreams and of course 4 more years the parents get to watch them play.

Not too many small D1 colleges out there... My kids ended up in small D3 (older 2) and D2 (youngest) schools. None of them looked for large schools - those were off the radar. I'm told by the kids that the College Board website really helps pare down the list with their search engine - academic requirements, size of school, degree programs, athletics, location. As another point of reference - I've heard more stories of players "dropping" down after a year of D1 because "A" the school was too big or "B" athletically they didn't get the bill of goods they were sold.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5