New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Feb. 6th Games

+2
The Edge
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Go down

Feb. 6th Games Empty Feb. 6th Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 am

3 good games on the slate tonight:

The Dave Haley Would Be Proud of Me Game: D4 Boys - #2 Epping at #5 Sunapee. I'm sure Dave could talk for roughly about 30 to 35 minutes about this game, but I'll just say it's a huge game in D4 and everything hinges on Epping's D4 POY candidate Jimmy Stanley. Sunapee has a couple of good potential all state players also.

#6 South at #7 Winny: This game features some of the best guards in D1. It should be played at a fast pace. Tavarez hit the big winning shot against Alvirne on Tuesday. Osgood could be the difference. The winner gets a firmer hold on hosting a prelim game. The loser falls closer to a jungle of ties and tie-breakers for seeding placement.

#11 Exeter at #5 Londonderry: Is it me or has Exeter been seeded #11 to #13 for the last decade and then they become a lot of fans' upset special come tournament time. Well, here they are again. Some would say underperforming Blue Hawks while others would say the sickly Exeter as in sicknesses. I know 3B has some strong opinions. I would think Exeter would need all their players on deck to try to come away from one of my favorite gyms with a W. In case you haven't heard, I'm some what of a Lancer basketball supporter. I also like the Blue Hawks. This will be like watching a couple of sons do battle on the court. I do know this. The winning team will have blue in their school colors tonight  Laughing 

The Exeter at Londonderry game is listed for 7:00 pm on their web site. Edge, if you can pull yourself away from the Londonderry Basketball tee shirt screen printing machine long enough to verify that's a correct time, it would be appreciated. The last time I went to Londonderry was on Flash Freeze night where the 7:00 game was moved to 6:00, but then started at 5:30. With yesterday's storm I want to make sure it doesn't send every Admin into a scheduling tizzy for today. There could actually be a flake of snow or a patch of ice on roads when the team buses come back from their gyms tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 6th Games Empty Re: Feb. 6th Games

Post  The Edge Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 am

7pm start for the game in Londonderry tonight. Unless of course there is the threat of snow anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:37 am

Does pre-disposed snow falling off trees and power lines count?

Would this PD snow falling on the roadways make a difference on the cancellations of games tonight?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 am

Interesting occurrence at the end of the Lakers - Cavaliers game last night. Didn't know this NBA rule until I saw this. Obviously it differs quite substantially from HS basketball rules concerning finishing a game with 4 players.

I bet Norman Dale would've finished the game with 4 players instead of 5 if he was coaching the Lakers Wink 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/los-angeles-lakers-finish-four-eligible-players-robert-sacre-fouls-out-still-plays-beat-cavaliers-020614

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:50 am

So when some team "needs" a player in the final game of the NBA Finals, do the 7 bench player all of a sudden get tight hammies or queasy stomachs? Kind of a strange rule - perhaps the NBA needs to rethink allowing a minimum of 8 players dressed at a game. When a team goes below 10 healthy players for a contest, maybe they should receive "roster limit exceptions" to force them to sign player(s) to 5-10 day contracts just as bench fillers.

FWIW: Before someone asks... HS rules force you to finish with less than 5 and you can continue to play until there is only 1 left. Since it's impossible to legally inbound the ball at that time! So next time you're at a game asking/hoping the officials will call more fouls - consider the consequences  Smile 

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Feb. 6th Games Empty Feb 6 Games

Post  3buoyshoops Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:00 am

2 good D1 match ups tonight as Winny finally reschedules their game with Nashua South and they will do battle tonight on the seacoast, The other Match up features two teams heading in opposite direction's........Exeter's heading for the toilet while Londonderry is strolling up to the desert counter.....interesting match up's with the potential (hate that word it should be profanity) for some excellent boy's high school basketball action tonight....get out of your caves and enjoy a game this evening...............................................

NASHUA SOUTH vs. WINNACUNNET : Nashua South coming back to earth a little with blow out loss to Bedford and a last second win at home against a very suspect Alvirne squad, They take the hour + tour to the Seacoast to take on a tough scrappy Winny squad, This game will be a battle and could come down to the wire as these two teams are very even as they are currently made up, difference could be as small as an hour long bus ride.Both teams "NEED" this game which should provide great effort and a great game. Winny in a stretch were they need to start winning some of these games against respectable foe's.South wearing down a bit? Toss up.........................SOUTH W.

EXETER vs. LONDONDERRY : Not what Exeter needs right now, Exeter a very bad team right now that looks ill prepared, motivated, "not on the same page", Dont seem to care like they are already on the golf course. Got thrashed by a very mediocre Spauding team other night (score does not reflect this game they were down 20+ from the get go till the end of the third when they went into the 4th down 23, hence Cronin put's in end of bench and Exeter makes desperation run). Medeley benched in the 3rd for lack of effort and production, got schooled by 5'8 kid's all night, continues to be a no - show entire season. Where Londonderry is Playing like a team Exeter is anything but a team currently playing lazy, selfish and uncaring basketball. This team was projected to be deep and they even suckered me in, but even without Point Holler for last three games they should have won all 3 against sub - par teams. almost lost all 3 but escaped Alvirne with the W. As of this print, Holler is Out again tonight and even if not 2 week's out of action aint going to turn this mess around over night. My sources at Exeter tell me that if Holler's doctor put's his galooshes on and venture's into office to write a note Holler could go tonight. Big If. Londonderry Playing excellent team Basketball and riding high with Confidence. When an opponent is down and dis-orientated you don't let them up..............................you put the boot's to them..................this could be over early............Exeter put a fork in em..........................................................LONDONDERRY W.

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 am

I was told a while back there was 2 scenarios that happened with 1 player left in a game:

1) A team some where won a game in the US with 1 player eligible. The team was up by about 10 plus with seconds left. The 1 player just kept inbounding the ball, the other team would score, then the player would take his legal round a bout time to inbound again as seconds wore down and eventually the buzzer. By rule it is a forfeit when a team has 1 eligible player left unless:

"The referee believes that team has an opportunity to win the game." (Straight from the rule book)

2) Another team some where in the US had the next to last player foul out. They were down to 1 player. This team was down by double digits. The refs let the game continue for a bit. When the lead got to 20 the refs called the game because the 1 player team had no chance to come back. I believe a game can be called due to the word...... Here you go:

Travesty

For instance, there was a local college game played around here a few years ago. The losing team was down by 20 plus with minutes to go. The coach, who wasn't cordial with the 3 man crew, had no time outs left, but still continued to call time outs to make the ending of the game as painful as he could for the 3 refs. They let him call the first couple of illegal TOs. After the next 1 or 2 the head referee instructed the scorer to close the book and end the game because the game had officially become a :

Travesty

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am

3B, I don't think I'm understanding your take on the Exeter team at this point in the season.

Could you please be more clear  Wink Smile Wink Mad Wink Mad Smile 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am

South @ Winnacunnet: Two good coaches, two good programs. South is just a wee bit deeper. South.
Exeter @ Londonderry: Hard to ignore the problems going on with this Exeter team. Londonderry won't let up. Londonderry.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am

Girls D-2 makeup game tonight. Milford (9-1) at Portsmouth (9-1). Should be a good one. I'll be following on Twitter whoever is covering it for the Portsmouth Herald.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:51 am

Yes, that is a solid D2 Girl's game. Should be a good one.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Halftime Lond 32 Exeter 30

Cody Ball 11 Jake Coleman 7

Ben Swett 7 Bryant Holmes 6

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 pm

5 minutes left in game Lond 51 Exeter 50

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 pm

1:30 left & a Cody Ball runner makes it 56 to 54 Lond

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Final: Londonderry 62 Exeter 56

Cody Ball 21 Drew Coveney 14

Ben Swett 12 Dickenson 10 Medley 8

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 am

I will have an article on the NH Notebook in due time on the Londonderry victory over Exeter.

The T & F plaque in the Londonderry gym entrance was a little dusty. I had to borrow a towel from The Edge to clean it  Wink 

I received 2 nice Londonderry basketball tee shirts from The Edge....... one for Mrs T & F  I love you 

Exeter played well in defeat. They are a team you can't take lightly. Strange they don't play Bedford in the regular season because they have a lot in common. Bedford and Exeter have a combined 14 losses, but if I'm a coach of a D1 upper echelon team, I DO NOT want to see either team in a prelim or in my bracket.

Pete Tarrier and Dave Haley could probably out-muscle any of the Lancers because Londonderry has the lowest team muscle content of any team in D1  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

What the Lancers don't have in muscle, they make up for in quickness, speed and plain ol grit. The Lancers didn't play their best game, but still beat a tough Exeter squad.

Time to turn off my Lancer lamp and go to bed while wearing my new Lancer tee shirt and covering myself with my Lancer blanket

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:17 am

http://www.nhnotebook.com/2014/02/londonderry-escapes-with-62-56-victory.html

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 am

The Exeter team 3bouys described was not the team I watched last night. Maybe his post was put on their locker room wall. I saw a deep talented team with god mix of in-side and outside skills. They played hard the whole game. If they can take 2 of there next 3 (Winny,South ,Memorial) they close Timberlane, Concord, Salem. The team I saw last night will be 10-8/9-9 and have good momentum going into playoffs

Actually a good win for Londonderry. Did not have their "A" game but still found a way to win. Made enough plays down the stretch on both ends of the floor to get the victory. Thats what good teams do in that situation. After 3 25 plus point blowouts good to have to execute in crunch time.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum