@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Very interesting article

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Very interesting article

Post  Hoopfan4 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Interesting response BBB, but doesn't really add much to the debate spurred initially by the article in the Concord Monitor. I think we've hashed through the various opinions on this topic about as many ways as we possibly can at this point.  Although the facts in the article seem pretty straightforward in terms of what's going on, it's clear that people feel pretty strongly about this rule in both directions and we're going to have to agree to disagree about the principle of the rule and how it's enforced.

I will also add one last comment.  The Raiders program has been very successul over the years. Although I did not follow boys high school hoops closely 10 years or so ago, my understanding is that when Frank Alosa coached at Trinity, it was essentially the top players (5 D1 players if I'm not mistaken) from the Raiders program competing in NHIAA events. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that some of the enhanced scrutiny on how AAU programs in general, and the Raiders in particular, influence player transfers between schools stems a great deal from that period of time. I've heard the stories of how that particular team felt the rules didn't apply to them, wanted to compete in national tournaments as Christmas and during the year (probably part of the reason Trinity wasn't involved in the QCIBT for a number of years) and caused a lot of issues for other schools and headaches for the NHIAA. When you cause major headaches and issues again and again and again for anybody, especially if it's done with a certain level of arrogance and disregard for the rules, it's going to bring a corresponding level of blowback. I'm not trying to open up another can of worms here, but for those who feel there is a microscope unjustly focused on Pembroke and the Raiders, they may need a little background on why things are the way the are now in terms of NHIAA being particularly sensitive to player movement between schools.

Again, knowing this is the case, families contemplating a move better have everything checked and double checked prior to pulling the trigger,  There is no question this is not going away and the NHIAA is not going to stop enforcing this rule, especially in cases where AAU programs in general, and the Raiders / Pembroke in particular, are involved.  Anybody wanting to challenge this rule has to know there is going to be a higher burden of proof than ever before to show the decision to move was not based solely on athletics and if that can't be established, then you're going to be out of luck.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:25 pm

I'll just add, Trinity didn't win the Ship with that Fab-Five.  Ain't that a shame.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  middleschoolball on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Bert54the1 wrote:I'll just add, Trinity didn't win the Ship with that Fab-Five.  Ain't that a shame.
Trinity didn't even make it in the ship those four years Frank Alosa was at the helm. They either lost in the semifinals or quarterfinals.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 pm

That sounds even better.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigballerboy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Nhiaa should put a shot clock in, pembroke would beat everyone even worse than they do now

Bigballerboy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigballerboy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Plus that would take away holding the ball which is really not basketball, if basketball at the college level has it and nba why doesn't high school it's not real basketball it's just a way for bad teams to slow the game down because they aren't talented enough to play with pembroke.

Bigballerboy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigballerboy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Plus that would take away holding the ball which is really not basketball, if basketball at the college level has it and nba why doesn't high school it's not real basketball it's just a way for bad teams to slow the game down because they aren't talented enough to play with pembroke.

Bigballerboy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Gulp,

I agree with BBB about the shot clock. It should be in.

Clearly you are a PA fan. But I don't think the way to beat PA is holding the ball. Did Windham hold the ball, it seems that game was high scoring? Trinity in Coaches for a cause didn't hold the ball (and they were missing kids)? Lebanon didn't hold the ball as the game was in the 60's. My understanding is PA plays all zone (which slows game down) and plays no full court D (which slows game down), Plays 7 kids (which slows game down).

They won't survive in D1 that way

Don't get defensive, Pembroke's great but your analysis is a little off. They play as slow as possible.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm

BBB,

Does your big brother play for Pembroke?

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 pm

I believe this thread has moved off topic.

Time to move on Forum Members.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum