@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Boy's 2013 QCIBT

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boy's 2013 QCIBT

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 am

Here's the schedule for the Boy's QCIBT starting at Memorial on Thursday Dec. 26th at Memorial:

3:00 pm - Bedford vs Exeter

4:30 pm Merrimack vs Weaver HS of Hartford Conn

6:00 pm Central vs West

7:30 pm Memorial vs Trinity

Friday Dec. 27th:

6:00 pm Winner of 3 pm vs Winner of 4:30 pm

7:30 pm Winner of 6:00 pm vs Winner of 7:30 pm

Saturday Dec. 28th:

7:30 pm - Championship

This is definitely the premier Holiday Tournament in NH this season. You have arguably 4 out of the Top 5 teams in D1 competing and  arguably 5 of the Top 8 teams in D1. Weaver HS replaces Bow this year and I've been told they have a good club. You also have 5 legit POY candidates playing in: Hansen, Carmen G, Max Medley, Eric Gendron and Kabongo, although I'm hearing Kabongo has a leg injury that might hamper him for games in December.

With all the hype being given to the Dec. 17th matchup of Central at Trinity, it's a very good possibility they will meet again on Friday Dec. 27th at 7:30 pm. This might be an even better game than the regular season game since Gabriel's foot will be 10 days stronger by then.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: Boy's 2013 QCIBT

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Here's some more information on Weaver HS from today's UL:

The list of out-of-state teams that have won the Queen City Invitational Basketball Tournament is a short one: Boston English prevailed in 1980; La Salle Academy of Providence, R.I., won the title in 1981 and 1985; and Cambridge (Mass.) Rindge & Latin won it all in 1983.

Weaver High School of Hartford, Conn., is hoping to add its name to that list this year. Weaver is the only non-New Hampshire school in an eight-team field that includes Bedford, Exeter, Merrimack, Manchester Central, Manchester Memorial, Manchester West and Trinity of Manchester.

The tournament will be played today through Saturday, and all games are at Manchester Memorial.

Weaver dropped an 83-81 double-overtime decision to Granby in Connecticut’s Class S championship game last season. Sophomore point guard Ke’Andre Fair is among Weaver’s returning players. Fair was the highest-scoring freshman in Connecticut last season, when he averaged 21.6 points per game.

Weaver will face Merrimack in today’s 4:30 p.m. contest. Today’s other first-round matchups are Bedford vs. Exeter (3 p.m.); West vs. Central (6 p.m.); and Trinity vs. Memorial (7:30 p.m.).

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Boy's QCBIT 2013

Post  3buoyshoops on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Great Tourney this year it will be interesting to see what coaches do and do not!. Players play alot and Do not!. Arguably top 4 or 5 teams in state going at it this early with regular season tilt's very close in the Future. Exeter play's Trinity a week from tomorrow, Trinity Plays Central "Again" 3 weeks ect. ect. either way you have top D1 teams/coaches competing for the next few days and the intensity and level of play should be crisp. Fun for all at Memorial....................................

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:46 pm

3 Buoys:

You should consider working a deal with Memorial's concession stand. Not that I can't eat Pappy's delicious pizza or some high end hot dog over the course of 3 days. Imagine Memorial being able to offer Lobster rolls, fried clam boats and seafood chowder ?? They would not only have the premier Holiday basketball tournament in NH, but also the premier Holiday concession stand !!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Final Exeter 52 Bedford 46

Exeter had a balanced scoring effort lead by Max Medley with 10. Colby Gendron and Cam Meservey each had 12 to lead Bedford.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm

The game that almost wasn't: Merrimack was warming up with no Weaver High at Memorial. No word from Weaver. Tournament Director called the game. Weaver showed up 5 minutes later. A 4:30 game tapped off at 5:10.

Weaver had a 15 to 11 lead at the end of one. Gendron heated up in the 2nd quarter with 6 points and 6'3 Dylan Richardson was impressive with a couple of drives. Weaver is quick and deep. Game is tied at half at 25.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Final Mack 62 Weaver 58

Eric Gendron fouled out with 4:13 left in the game and Mack down 49 - 48. Mack closes the game by out scoring Weaver 14 to 9 with Franzen & Richardson leading the Tomos to the W.

Gendron 16 Franzen and Richardson with 14 each. Jaecee Martin lead Weaver with 19.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm

No surprise here..... End of 1: Central 18 West 6

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Halftime Central 42 West 13

It is kind of sad to see what West has to put on the court. I know the Flynn West/Central situation is still in limbo. To tell you the truth I can see why West hasn't signed off on Flynn's eligibility with the Central basketball team. If West doesn't make a stand then what will prevent some of their younger players who have promise from transferring to Central & Memorial. Does Manchester really want to see a 2 to 3 win West team year after year because all their better or younger players transfer for greener basketball pastures? To protect the integrity of Queen City basketball I hope kids stay at West and try to produce there. Does anyone want to see West losing games by 30 to 40 points on a nightly basis?

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh BTW - lot of slipping & sliding going on at the Crusader court. The baseline by the gym entrances have seen many players falling a la the Trinity - Central game. As I type this Zach Jones just took a nasty spill on the sideline in front of the West bench. Game has been held up as refs, coaches and Tournament Director confer.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:50 pm

They just pushed in the bleachers 2 rows at Memorial. Game has now been held up for over 10 minutes.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Game resumed after 15 minutes. Both teams sitting uncomfortably on "higher" seats. I presume Central is fed up with slippery courts in this young season..... Oh oh West's Descoteaux just took a NASTY spill on the sidelines. It is amazing no player has torn a knee, ankle or groin tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Final Central 70 West 29 ....... Sad.

If body language means anything then Trinity has better warmup body language. Wade Gopp isn't playing. He's on suspension.

Memorial has THE LOUDEST NATIONAL ANTHEM in the state. The gym speakers work just fine.

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:44 pm

End of 1: Memorial 16 Trinity 14

Memorial showing some life. Kabongo best player on the court with 8 points in the opening 8 minutes.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:17 am

Trinity kicked it into gear and wound up winning by around 30

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  dj5hoop on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:31 am

The Flynn/West situation is an unfortunate one indeed and I can understand both views on this one. There has to be some rules in place otherwise abuse would be even more widespread in regards to recruiting. With that being said, I have empathy for the player who wants to play in a different program if they think it will help them with their future. Not all programs are equal and you can't blame a person for wanting to find the best situation for them. In the end, a good kid who is a good student is being punished in his last year of high school and that is how it should be looked at.

dj5hoop
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 pm

dj5: Believe me I thought long and hard on this situation as the Jamboree took place and I saw the writing on the wall that Flynn might not play this year. I just think there is a wave of "had enough" out in the AD, Coach and Principal world on the increase in transfers. Last night I heard 2 of the Bigs were officially denied their transfer papers to be eligible at Pembroke this season.  

West is in a tough situation. Obviously, they are in full tilt decline with Bedford in full operation. That was the initial gash to their sports ship which produced the first major leak. West took that hit and lost out on a lot of sports, but seemed to keep their head above water in boy's basketball. During the Sam Carey years they were relevant and had some big victories. The area and environment then took it's toll and Carey was replaced by Bryson. Coach Bryson is really trying to make it work in a very tough situation. Having Sudi come in as JV coach will certainly help. If, after all this work, to try to become even a 7 - 11 team or an 8 - 10 team, they lose a player here to Central or a player there to Memorial........ Well, then what's to stop promising soph Keenan Caron or junior Zack Jones from transferring next year? This would happen if West just said OK to the Flynn situation.

So, let's just extinguish West boy's basketball and not give about 35 to 40 kids the chance to play some form of HS basketball in the Queen City. Let's make Central and Memorial the Super basketball teams of Manchester at the expense of West side kids. In every transfer case denied you could make an argument for the individual losing out on his soph, junior or senior season and have empathy for them. I submit to you I would rather have empathy for a GROUP OF 15 players with blue uniforms last night that were down by nearly 30 points at halftime and wound up losing by 40 points and will sadly have many similar nights this season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:42 pm

In tonight's QCIBT semi finals one could arguably say it is a Final Four preview at UNH in March. Trinity, Central, Exeter and Merrimack will certainly be vying for a Top 4 seed during the regular season...... With all due respect to BG, Bedford, South, Lond & Spaulding.

Exeter vs Merrimack: The Blue Hawks are a deeper team, but Mack has more top end scoring. Both teams like to run. It should be a nice fast paced style unless one of the teams gets into foul trouble. Both teams are coming off solid victories in the quarterfinals. Mack has the big mental boost of knowing they were down by 3 with over 4 minutes left in the Weaver game when Gendron fouled out and a few players NOT NAMED Eric Gendron help lead the Tomos to the nice victory. I think Exeter is still searching for their solid rotation of 8 to play in bigger games. Mack already knows theirs.

If forced to pick a winner, all Lobster rolls aside, I'll go with Merrimack.

Central vs Trinity: Well, here we go again. This game couldn't be played last week at Trinity. We'll try again tonight at 1 Crusader Way. Me thinks the Crusader bleachers will be pushed back 2 rows from the get go to avoid the Paul Simon Slip Sliding Away syndrome that seems to be omnipresent at Queen City gyms this holiday season. I'll state it one more time:

It's been a holiday miracle no player has torn an ACL, broken an ankle or suffered some type of season ending injury at the Trinity and Memorial gyms in the last week or so. When Zack Jones went down hard in front of the West bench last night I thought this was the one. He limped off the court. Let's hope game management makes a supreme effort to keep the sidelines and baselines dry when all the fans come piling in for the Big One tonight at Memorial at 7:30 pm.

At this point Central's bench looks to be deeper. Trinity has their 5 starters and is still formulating their # 6 to # 8 players. Central has 7 starters. Yes, that's right 7 starters: Dickson, Hanson, Kelley, Joey Martin, Jon Martin........... And Makris and Plentzas. The latter 2 were starters last season and they come off the bench and push the play like not too many other 6th and 7th players in D1. This could be the difference between the 2 teams tonight. Gabriel looked like he's getting closer to 100% with a couple of great drive dunks against Memorial. Rhoades is playing great ball. He's showing a nice stroke and making great decisions. Carmen G still looks like he has to add an quicker step to his basketball body.

If I had to pick a winner....... I'll go with Central because they're ahead of the overall team prep curve right now with depth and basketball body readiness.

A Central v Merrimack Ship? Memories of Roche vs Hassan etc etc etc......... Well, let's get through 64 minutes tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:51 pm

I know not too many fans will be there, but the 3:00 pm consolation game between Bedford and Weaver will be a heck of a game. This could easily have been the 6:00 pm semifinal game tonight. For the first time in a long time the non Manchester bracket is much stronger than the Manchester bracket. If you seeded the teams Central and Trinity would be #1 and #2, but the 4 non Manchester teams would certainly be teams # 3 to # 6.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:47 pm

Finals:

Central 66 Trinity 55

Hanson finished with 38 points. This game was very close the whole way until Central put it away in the last 3 minutes.

Exeter 61 Merrimack 53

Zack Holler had 15 to lead the Blue Hawks. Medley and Dickenson finished with 12 each.

Bourque and Gendron each had 16 to lead Mack.

Central will play Exeter for the Ship. It's the first time these 2 teams have met in the QCIBT Ship.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:04 am

The Central - Trinity was very close from start to just about finish. Trinity tried many defenders on Brett Hanson. He was explosive all night. At one point Hanson had 16 of the first 20 Central points. The Pioneers tried Otis, Rhoades, Keefe and Gabriel on Hanson. He was just quicker and faster than any Trinity defender all night. He hit short and long range shots. His angular, slurvy, curvy, slithery explosions to the rim were very hard to keep pace with. His 38 point performance, while not a record, had to be one of the highest scoring efforts by a player since the Friel, Hassan and Roche days at the QCIBT.

Ryan Otis had an exceptional game for Trinity. He is one of the most versatile players in the state. He can play forward or guard. He can score inside or out. He can defend guards and forwards. He brings the ball up against pressure. You might as well put a container of Elmer's glue on his jersey. Pat Keefe had a great game. I still don't know how his 6'0 body readjusts to 6'2 to 6'5 defensive pressure when he makes up his mind to drive to the basket. Just when you think the kid can't finish he finds another gear and gets out of trouble in the paint like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom.

Plentzas played great off the bench for Central. He's such a high energy player. When he comes off the bench he builds upon the physical and emotional energy that Hanson and the other 4 starters put into the game for Central. Luke Testa still looks tentative. Should I drive or should I kick? Should I shoot or should I dribble? He just doesn't seem in synch with the Pioneers........ Yet.

Carmen G still has to iron out the football body and interject the basketball Mojo into his system. He had multiple drives where he would've finished last year..... in the 2nd half of the season. Now, he just doesn't have that extra basketball burst when he drives to the hoop. It's as if he's wearing cleats instead of sneakers.

The Central bench and Brett Hanson were the difference tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I would be utterly fascinated to receive thoughts and a prediction from 3Buoys on the Central - Exeter Ship for tonight at 7:30 pm  Cool 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 am

Recap of some scoring leader information by Roger Brown:

JUNIOR guard Brett Hanson scored 69 points to help Central win the 2013 Queen City Invitational Basketball Tournament, and is one of 26 players who have scored at least 100 points in the event.

Hanson tossed in 36 points during the 2012 QCIBT tournament, and scored 10 against Manchester West, 38 against Trinity and 21 against Exeter this season.

Merrimack’s Eric Gendron, a senior guard, finished his QCIBT career with 139 points and is No. 7 on the tournament’s all-time scoring list. Former Central forward Tyler Roche holds the tournament’s scoring record (201 points).

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum