@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Fall League at Riv and BG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fall League at Riv and BG

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:50 am

Fall League started at Rivier last Sunday. The majority of the next 8 Sundays there will be games at Riv and BG from 8 am to Noon.

Pembroke, BG, Conant, Trinity, South, Merrimack, Bedford, Central and Chelmsford are among the 18 teams competing in Fall League. Memorial and West ARE NOT in Fall League.

There was a nice start to FL last Sunday. South beat BG in OT. Even though the Preston-Less and Knight-Less Panthers defeated BG Migs assured me that he, "Very Much still loves" his team.

Now, I wasn't there, but there was a delicious matchup in the 2nd game of the day: Trinity vs Pembroke. Ahh yea. Defending D1 and D2 State Champs playing at 9 am on a Sunday morning......... Very tasty. According to one of my associates both teams were in mid season form and looked very ready to defend their crowns this upcoming season. Trinity was without the services of footballers Carmen G and Rhoades. It's obviously very early, but some things noticed during this game:

- Pembroke will have some growing pains transitioning out of the Maher point guard era. Even though Maher was not a great scorer replacing his ball handling, decision making and defense will probably be priority #1 for Coach Alosa this season.

- Wenyin Gabriel and Kafani Williams, arguably 2 of the best big men in the state, tried to impose their physical and mental will on each other throughout the game. Gabriel has gotten a little thicker from last year and reports are there won't be as severe a drop going from older Bro to younger Bro this season for the Pioneers in the paint.

- Luke Testa was as advertised. He showed a nice versatility in being able to bring an inside and outside game for Trinity. He's strong in the paint with rebounding and scoring. He also played Patrick Welch defensively. If Testa can maintain this defensive consistency in playing bigger guards then this will be a huge plus for Trinity..... Think Eric Gendron, Kabongo etc. If Testa can play bigger and stronger guards then this will take some defensive pressure off Keefe, Rhoades and Otis and lessens the few chinks in the armor the 2013 - 2014 Pioneers will have.

- Remember, Dave Haley has already stated on his site Pembroke will be playing Trinity in the pre season Jamboree.

- Speaking of the pre season Jamboree...... I don't want to take away all of Haley's thunder in the final format, but trust me when I say it will be a must see event in early December over 2 days. It will provide a nice appetizer for the season and has already received approval from the NHIAA in case some of you were worried about that potential issue.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall League at Riv and BG

Post  The Edge on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:47 am

Salem, Pelham, and Londonderry are playing in the Rebook fall league in North Andover. Good competition with teams like Central Catholic, St. Johns Prep, Andover, and Lawrence to name a few.
Follow tweets from Fennis Dembo's Truth for league info.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:01 pm

OMG.... Fennis Dembo !!! One of my favorite college players of all time. In his junior year at Wyoming he had one of the greatest scoring runs in NCAA Tournament history. In his senior year his Wyoming team lost to Loyola Marymount in one of the greatest opening round games in tournament history. The final score was 119 - 115 in regulation.

My friends and I used to say Fennis Deeemmmmmmmmbooowwwwww.

God, great memories. Thanks Edge !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 am

3 egg omelet, pan fries and whole wheat toast matchup at 8:00 am on Sunday October 6th at BG:

Trinity vs BG

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

BG Trinity

Post  Hooper on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm

So how did it go???

let's have the skinny??

Talk about some of the other games as well

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Trinity beat BG by 8

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm

First game of the season was Trinity 62 vs Pembroke 54. The following week Pembroke beat BG 55-34.

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am

Semi finals are Sunday Nov. 3rd:

Rivier at 9:50 am: Pembroke vs Trinity

BG at 9:50 am: Central vs Merrimack

The winners meet at Rivier at 11;40 am for the Fall League Championship.

I heard Wenyin Gabriel broke his foot last week. This will obviously impact the Pembroke - Trinity matchup tomorrow and their highly anticipated matchup a month later in the Jamboree. When these 2 teams met in the opening day of Fall League they went at it pretty good. Kafani Williams and Gabriel had quite a tussle. It would seem Trinity will have their work cut out for them to get another W against Pemby with Gabriel on the shelf (& No G or Rhodes due to football).

Central dismantled Merrimack by 40 a couple of weeks ago. For Merrimack it was the ongoing story of a lot of Gendron and scoring by committee after that. Central climbed on Merrimack early and never let up. Word has it Central are the great benefactors of a brother combo that just moved from the Sunshine State. One is 6'3-ish and the other is 6'2-ish and both can play. I've been told one may start for Central and the other will be one of the first off the bench....... HUGE for Central. With this addition it certainly puts the Little Green as the team closest to Trinity in D1 if not side by side with them. So, you have Dickson, Plentzas, Kelly, Makris and a newly beefed up Hansen (He'll be more prepared for incidental contact this season) and the Florida brother combo. There is always the Wade factor if he should decide to play. If Wade plays then Central would certainly have one of the deeper talented teams in D1 and would be able to go toe to toe with Trinity.

Oh, did I mention another player who might impact the Little Green? Well, more on that later when details are ironed out or if wrinkles are still left on the LG basketball shirt.......silent 

No wonder the Little Green faithful weren't worried about Luke Testa transferring from Pinkerton to Trinity Very Happy Razz Very Happy

My God when you look at Central and Trinity it has the feel of the Sox and Yankees going head to head with signings of players Wink ...... sorry I mean transers, families moving, families wanting to move etc. etc. etc.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Finals

Post  Twenty two on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Pembroke over Trinity in the semi 55-35! Pembroke over Central final 58-55. Pembroke held the lead the entire game!

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Congrats to Pemby. Must have been a great Ship.

Not to take anything away from Pemby, but their 20 point margin over Trinity was because there was no G, Otis, Gabriel & Testa. Pioneers only had 6 players for the Ship. I'm presuming their Jamboree game on Dec. 7th will be closer & more exciting.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 pm

They had Otis, you must not have noticed him out on the court. Pembroke was the only team in this league that played without a coach on their bench to advise or make substitutions, the boys coached themselves. Have you seen the two new boys from Florida that Central has? They will most certainly give Trinity a run for their money this season, then maybe you'll give credit where credit is due. Central even had (football player) Makris on the floor today....so did Pembroke only win because Central was missing players? Pembroke was ahead the entire game - by as much as 14 at one point. Everyone on all four final teams played their hearts out and deserve the accolades that go along with it without skeptics trying to discount their achievement.

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I wasn't there 22. I got Rhodes & Otis mixed up. I'm not trying to take anything away from Pembroke. I'm just informing fans why there was a 20 point margin in the Pemby - Trinity game. It's the reporter in my. As a reporter you have to inform fans Trinity was missing 3 to 4 starters.... G, Rhodes, Gabriel and Testa. I think that had a smidgen to do with Pemby winning by 20. Don't forget when Trinity had a healthy Gabriel and Testa in the opening weekend of FL, Trinity won. If you add Carmen G and Rhodes to the mix for the Pioneers........ Well......... It's only FL anyway. It is what it is.

Yes, Central will give Trinity a run for its Pioneer dollars, especially with the Sunshine Brothers. If Wade plays for Central he will add a defensive/athletic/toughness intangible the LG could use to get over the D1 top.

Don't quite get your credit due call out because I'm just giving an opinion and giving credit and pub to a lot of players and teams on this site. Puuuuhhhleeezz don't take my opinions personally. The alternative could be I don't give any opinions and then....... It could....... Become rather shhhhhhh silent on the Forum Wink 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Well Finally some hoop talk

Post  Hooper on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm

So... Lets not get upset. Let's just talk hoop.

C'mon 22 give us a line for the game with all the players there. I stand by my Trinity by 12. Trinity better in every position but 1 (Pat W)

Central beats Conant

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Londonderry into final four of North Andover Fall Ball. Tough match up against Central Catholic. 1 and 1 on the summer/fall leagues against them.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 am

Londonderry falls to Central Catholic 59-46. Too many self inflicted wounds to overcome. 9-4 in that league is nothing to sneeze at. Coveney named to all league team

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum