@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Coaching Carousel Starts to Turn

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coaching Carousel Starts to Turn

Post  TooClutch on Sun May 19, 2013 12:24 am

Yea its really disappointing how parents can manipulate the school system just because of their status and I cant stand how parents complain about playing time in highschool because the kids dont have to pay to be on the team its free, its not AAU where you want to get your moneys worth, kids are on the team because of talent so the coach is gonna play his top 8 players dont cry to the AD because your not one of those 8 work on your game and become one of those 8 players

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Basketball boy on Sun May 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Wow when did this all happen? I've heard nothing about this ( but I haven't checked forum lately) , how did we find out about this?this all seems strange from my perspective

Basketball boy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot on Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 am

In response to anyone posting on the Londonderry coaching situation this has nothing to do with playing time or anything that has been said so far. You have only heard the opinions of certain people on this topic it may be a good idea to ask for some other opinions. This was not led by the SAU district employee or because his sophomore son didn't get enough playing time this was due to constant verbal abuse for over the course of a season. It was lead by another parent not the one you all think it is. This also was because they treated the whole team like dirt saying things like you guys suck we have no chance this season. Or swearing at certain players. There was multiple parents who complained they just didn't come into the publics eye. The reason for this is because they didn't want to be ridiculed by the parents who still supported Coach Gus. It's very disappointing for me too see these basically lies be made up, there is no truth about any of these accusations. All in all it just bothers me that know one looked into the other side of the story and its unfortunate that everyone jumped to all these conclusions

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot on Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 am

So basically I'm saying this was lead by different parents

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Coaching

Post  manchfan on Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 am

Jumpshot,
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I spoke with numerous parents, including ones that were for Coach Gus being removed, and everyone had the same thing to say. . . the person in the SAU wanted him gone as well so we just did what he told us. I spoke with former players and former parents that have all stood by Coach Gus and said he is a great coach. Maybe he was hard on his current players, but the fact remains it is high school basketball not 9 year old rec. I agree that a Coach should not tell players they suck, but he should also not be telling them they are the next Matt Bonner when they clearly are not (one of the player's parents that I spoke to actually told me that his son was the next Matt Bonner). I think the problem here was the student-athletes where actually told they don't stack up to the rest of the state the way they thought they did. I have a hard time believing that a Coach would tell his players, "they suck", but I don't know for sure.
I do agree with you that it was a group of parents because like I mentioned I spoke to those parents as well. It all leads back to the parent sitting in the SAU though. If it was verbal abuse then how come the Athletic Director, Principal and Assistant Principals at Londonderry High School have all clearly and openly supported Coach Gus? If all of them supported Coach Gus and yet he still did not get renewed it leads me to believe that someone else must have had the attention of the Superintendent, perhaps it was someone who works very closely who the year before had his kid moved from Freshman to JV.
Something I would like to know is, how many complaints has Coach Gus had before this SAU member's family moved to town and how many he had after. I just hope that SAU member was smart enough to use his personal cell phone and email address when discussing this situation with parents. . . a right to know act could cost him his job.

Last edited by manchfan on Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I did not use a possessive S when I should have. . . I have to change bad grammar when I see it.)

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 pm

"this was due to constant verbal abuse for over the course of a season"

Jumpshot

I think you should check with some parents of some coaches who's teams were in the Top 4 or Top 8 of D1 this past season. Not to single out any one team or coach, there's some parents that will tell you how coaches of those teams use some verbal motivation to get their players and teams going. Some parents might take offense to what some coaches say (pity the thought in 2013), but today's teenager is just a tad different than a teenager that grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Believe me, I have heard what some of the coaches say to their players to get them going (abuse/motivation) on teams in the Top 8 and teams in the bottom 8. There's not too much difference on what most coaches say (abuse/motivation) to their players at the top or bottom of the standings.

I'm not buying the "verbal abuse excuse" in the Londonderry coaching situation. I stand by my information and sources with regards to this "should be looked at" situation in Lancer Land.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Basketball boy on Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Here is what I have learned because I'm interested and made some phone calls. Fans, parents former players think he is a nice guy friendly, BUT they are things people need to know. Some fan who attended every game would often hear a player telling him what to do or to run. Players normally don't do this. Also that he would go to a certain player' s house and hang with out there. Strange. I also find it strange that everything being said is the opposite what I heard from many players parents that this SAU wasn't allowed to talk due to his position. I also think its not right to jump to conclusions and opinions on certain people which when you sign up for this site you can't do. So I believe that someone should maybe call the superintendent office and find out the truth behind it before bad mouthing someone who probably is un aware this is going on.

Basketball boy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Basketball Boy and Jumpshot - you have got to be kidding. Your posts seem pretty obvious attempts to throw a few red herrings out there as distractions. Reading through this thread there is no way to conclude anything other than some dirty business is taking place in Londonderry. A coach who's been in place for quite a while, has never had an issue, and is all of a sudden out of a job - in spite of the fact that he has the support of the AD and high school administrators. Also, "the next Matt Bonner...." tells me all I need to know about how easy it must have been for the SAU administrator to rope a few delusional parents into this...I mean if that statement doesn't tell it all in terms of where some of these parents heads are nothing does. I'm sure coach Gus will latch on somewhere as soon as he's ready to jump back into coaching - wouldn't blame him at all if he needed a little breather after this. Regardless, sounds like he will be a lot better off out of this mess....

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Basketball boy on Mon May 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Can I ask where there is truth? It seems just like opinion or thoughts from people this would all be A BIG DEAL if I find some real proven truth from someone. It all seems strange for me

Basketball boy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue May 21, 2013 9:24 am

There is no actual information in this thread...sources like "some fan that goes to a lot of games" and "parents of former players" are what they are. Everybody please be careful about speculating about either the administration or coach in this or any situation. There will never be any actual credible news unless the Coach himself comes on here, verifies to me that he who he is and tells his story (feel free Coach - that would be a fun exclusive).

But that's not going to happen.

The Internets witch hunting of the alleged marathon bombers turned in lots of innocent civilians to national attention as potential suspects. Bottom line is nobody actually knew anything except the authorities who kept everything close to their chest. Same applies here, I wouldn't expect the full (or any) story to come out regarding this coaching situation.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 am

"I wouldn't expect the full (or any) story to come out regarding this coaching situation." Mr Bless .......................

.................... Unless........ Mr Haley starts poking around the quiet town of Londonderry Smile

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 am

He can poke all he wants but the fact of the matter is he won't get anything from the school administration.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 pm

I think I vaguely remember when Dave did his story on the Keene coaching situation, that the Mother and Father hens ruling the Hen House at Blackbird High, didn't have much to say either on why there were an inordinate amount of boy's basketball coaches in a few years up in the scenic town of Keene.

Wink Wink Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Lancer Mom on Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm

The bottom line to all of this is that a very small group of parents resulted in the firing of Coach Gus. Other than the few families involved in the complaint, most Londonderry residents aware of the situation feel that the process was flawed. An independent inquiry of this situation where Coach Gus could talk freely without fear of repercussions would be most welcome.

Lancer Mom
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Lancer Mom. Your input is appreciated.

I like your idea of Coach Gus talking freely without fear of repercussions. In fact I would welcome Coach Gus presenting his side of the story here on the Forum, if he wanted. If Coach Gus wanted to be interviewed by Forum moderators, I would welcome it. Moderators could ask him a series of questions and post both the questions and his responses here on the Forum. If this would not be his cup of tea, I would understand. If Coach Gus wanted to pursue this informational avenue, I could be sent a private message.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  tjd68 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 pm

It was actually a fairly large group of parents involved and it had nothing to do with playing time or verbal abuse.

tjd68
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Salem High Girls Job is Posted as Well

Post  dadncoach on Thu May 23, 2013 9:01 am

Word is Annie Alosa moving on in some form to coach at college ranks. I think she was there for one year. This is not a comment towards the (as from what I know not named yet) replacement, but too bad for Salem, Loved how she had that team playing last year. Good luck to her wherever she ends up.

dadncoach
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Londonderry

Post  manchfan on Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 am

tjd68 wrote:It was actually a fairly large group of parents involved and it had nothing to do with playing time or verbal abuse.

I guess that depends on how you define "fairly large", to some 3 parents could be considered fairly large. . . or in this case 5 groups of parents. . . ohh wait no 4 because the person in the SAU "stayed out of it" Wink Does not make a difference either way. . . Coach Gus is out, and Londonderry has proven time and time again that the parents run the athletics.

Note for the new coach: Make sure you find out who the parents are that complained, you can private message me if you want, and play their kids a lot. Remember that in Londonderry the parents and kids are NEVER wrong and you are ALWAYS wrong. If you stick to this you should have a long career at Londonderry, unfortunately it won't be too successful.

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot on Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 am

If you stick to this you should have a long career at Londonderry, unfortunately it won't be too successful.[/quote]

I forgot how succesful it was this year! Londonderry willl be absolutly fine next year they will finish in the top eight, whoever takes over this team has easy job with the lots of returning talent.

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  manchfan on Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 am

jumpshot wrote: If you stick to this you should have a long career at Londonderry, unfortunately it won't be too successful.

I forgot how succesful it was this year! Londonderry willl be absolutly fine next year they will finish in the top eight, whoever takes over this team has easy job with the lots of returning talent.[/quote]

Jumpshot
Thank you for confirming what I said earlier. . . typical Londonderry approach blame the coach for the kid's bad performance.

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfire3 on Thu May 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Londonderry would have been a little better if they didn't lose Coveney, but I read on this thread that they would have had the best back court in the state which is an abosolute JOKE, because although Coveney is good it takes two to have a great backcourt. Londonderry does look good however for next year with most of their players returning so no matter who takes over they will be in good shape. I don't know why Coach Gus got fired but either way it had something to do with parents sticking their nose where it doesn't belong and that just needs to stop.

Dragonfire3
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Dragonfire, I don't know if you are referring to my comment about Londonderry's backcourt, but if you are you might have misread it or misunderstood it.

What I said was IF Londonderry had Simmonds (who went prep for soccer) & Covney (who was injured early) the Lancers would've arguably had one of fhe best backcourts in D1.

Hope this clarifies the comment and your understanding of it.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Basketball boy on Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Note for the new coach: Make sure you find out who the parents are that complained, you can private message me if you want, and play their kids a lot. Remember that in Londonderry the parents and kids are NEVER wrong and you are ALWAYS wrong. If you stick to this you should have a long career at Londonderry, unfortunately it won't be too successful.[/quote]

Hey this is what gets coaches let go, favoritism. Just cause they didn't complain doesn't mean they should get playing time over better more talented kids. Stupid statement that doesn't belong on this site.

Also why don't we spend time talking about stuff that matters like how the teams look for upcoming season and not something that has already happened and doesn't affect anyone but the players and parents. So if your a player and/or parent feel free to comment, otherwise we know none of what went on. So lets move on to the 2013 season which frankly I'm looking forward to, espicially my favorites to win Merrimack . Very Happy

Basketball boy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonfire3 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 pm

oh ok t&f that makes sense, my bad

Dragonfire3
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  manchfan on Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 am

Hahaha. Basketball boy. . . Again thank you for confirming my general opinion of Londonderry parents after this whole incident. I am not saying the kids that didn't complain should get playing time. I am saying that the parents that did complain should get playing time. Obviously if the parents that complained had the power to get rid of the coach, which is amazing considering the assistant superintendent wasn't allowed to speak to the issue, that proves that the number one priority at Londonderry is not all the kids but instead the parents that will complain, not including the assistant superintendent because he had "no say". Keep the SAU happy keep your job, regardless of what is best for all the kids.

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum