@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Boston Marathon Tragedy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boston Marathon Tragedy

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

My daughter was at the Boston Marathon cheering on my nephew. My nephew finished the race 9 minutes before the explosions. I had sister in laws and nephews there cheering on my nephew.

God's hand touched my relatives and daughter. They are all ok.

I couldn't reach my daughter for 20 minutes. Ice went through my heart for 20 minutes with the dreaded "not knowing." I almost went to the 11 am Sox game today. I definitely would've gone down to Boylston St to try to see my nephew with my daughter. I guess God's hand patted me on the shoulder today.

The Boston Marathon will never be the same. Sadly, a lot of people at the Marathon will have their lives altered forever.

Just an incredibly sad day in Boston.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Marathon Tragedy

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am

Well said T&F. A lot of tragic stories will come out of this, and to those families, friends and loved ones, I extend my thoughts and prayers. For those who ran towards the chaos, I have the utmost pride and respect for them. Truly courageous individuals who yesterday, showed what being an American is all about.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 pm

After much emotion and information processing here is my family's take of what happened in their eyes:

My nephew crossed the finish line at the Marathon 9 minutes before the explosions. He was wrapped in a blanket and immediately came back up Boylston to meet up with his mother, Aunt and 3 cousins who were standing in front of the Lenox Hotel on Boylston St. The Lenox Hotel is across the street and between where each explosion took place. My nephew talked quickly and said he was going to get a little bit of medical treatment at the medical tent after the finish line. All my relatives agreed to meet up at Copley Place in a few minutes. My nephew went back to the medical tent for treatment and 30 seconds after he got there the first explosion happened and then the 2nd explosion. Every body in the medical tent just stood wondering what just happened. A few minutes later people came rushing into the tent bleeding requiring attention. The medical personnel told all the runners to leave to make way for the injured.

Luckily, my sister in law was able to place a call to my nephew while he was in the tent to find out if he was OK before all cell phone service was shut down in the area. They agreed to meet at the Copley Place entrance ASAP. My sister in law said it was incredible with the combination of screaming, sirens, and the rushing of people. All my relatives met at the entrance of Copley Place. People were streaming out of Copley Place fearing a bomb might go off in there with it being a high rise. My nephew slumped into his mother's arms and started crying. Every one was emotional and they were trying to make a decision on what to do. Police and security told every one who was in the entrance to stay in the ground entrance to Copley for safety. Security feared more bombs might be detonated on Boylston St. After waiting an anxious amount of minutes the security people let my relatives and others leave the Copley entrance. My relatives quickly walked up Boylston St towards the Common. Ambulances started lining up in great numbers to enter the area to take away the injured to hospitals.

Yesterday, I said God's hand touched my relatives. After finding out they were so close to the explosions, you can't help but feel spiritual in the sense of where they were and that they came out OK. My relatives came down Boylston St so innocently yesterday and chose to stand in front of the Lenox Hotel. You can look at pictures and see for yourself how close the Lenox is in context to the 2 explosions. My relatives could've chosen to stand on the other side of Boylston St where the explosions happened. It was luck and happenstance they chose the other side. In a time like this I like to say the Hand of God was there for them. In this time of sadness and grief you have to turn to your beliefs and faith to help you navigate through what has happened and what could have happened. I will admit since I found out my relatives were so close to the bombings I have cried a couple of times thinking what if they had made the decision to be on the other side of the street.

Yesterday was really bad emotionally for myself and my family. Today is even worse.

God Damn the person or people who are responsible for this.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Well said T&F. Sorry that you had to go through any second wondering if loved ones were okay. Nobody should have to go through that. The stories I am hearing from those that ran or were at the finish line waiting for loved ones are traumatized.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks CasualFan.

2 years ago my family did a weekend in Boston. We went to Red Sox games on Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday game was the one where the Bruins paraded the Stanley Cup in Fenway Park on the duck boats. On Saturday morning I took a walk down Boylston St just down from the hotel I was staying at. I got a nice big cup of coffee and breakfast sandwich and sat on the Copley Place terrace which overlooked the part of Boylston St where the 1st explosion took place by Atlantic and Sugar Heaven. It was a beautiful morning and I soaked up the start of a hustle bustle Saturday in Boston as I ate breakfast. I came back to the hotel and told my wife how beautiful it was on Boylston St as the shops were opening and workers were setting up patio areas for restaurants.

I've walked that part of Boylston St hundreds of times. Knowing the site of the 1st explosion is a place I know so well and is the place I looked at and soaked up on the beautiful Saturday morning 2 years ago..... It's just so heartbreaking.

I will go back to Boston and I will go back to Boylston St, maybe on another beautiful Saturday morning with a big cup of coffee. Will I go back to the Copley Place terrace and look across the street after what's happened? Check back with me on a beautiful Saturday.....

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I echo your comments T&F - the people that do these kinds of things are not even qualified to be considered part of the human race...it is incredulous that people of any type of political, religious or other beliefs can somehow justify this type of act. One thing is for sure - nothing can be taken for granted in the world in which we now live. I am so happy your loved ones are ok - it is truly scary to think of how minutes and sometimes even mere seconds can make such a difference in people's lives ....the saying "There but for the grace of God go I" never rings more true when we all get a harsh dose of reality like this. Suddenly the worries around a high school team's wins and losses, parents critical of coaches as well as losing it over officiating, etc.,etc., don't really seem all that important...

If something like this doesn't put things in perspective, I'm not sure what will. I hope everybody takes a little extra time to hug their family members and let them know how much they are loved - we never know when the next time could be the last time, especially when something as innocent as watching a marathon can turn into such a horrific nightmare...

Remember - "There but for the grace of God go I" - truer words were never spoken...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum