@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Telegraph sold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Telegraph sold

Post  nhhssports on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

I know this isn't entirely sports related, but it will impact sports coverage in the Nashua area, so I thought I'd share it for those who hadn't heard the news.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/999624-469/ogden-newspapers-to-acquire-nashua-telegraph.html

nhhssports
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: Telegraph sold

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Will this impact sports coverage in the Nashua area in a positive or negative way?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:42 am

What sports coverage? Laughing Laughing

HS sports coverage is done through blog sites now for the most part. Of the 3 pages the Telegraph dedicates for sports coverage - one is for professional teams standings, transactions, etc... - part of one is for school sports (schedule and results) and those are for the most part called in by coaches... The other is generally professional teams or sports story du jour and some of those don't come from local writers. Even the Sunday section has been drastically cut.

Not that the telegraph is any different from other papers that are hurt by the data available for free on the internet.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Who in their right mind would buy a paper this day in age? I would expect they have a big change to their website and online content distribution plan ahead. Have to if the want to survive.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Well there are still people out there that don't know how to use a computer... strange as it may seem to "us" that do.

Beyond that - a newspaper provides content and format. The web provides content - everyone has their own idea on the best format. With so much content, search can be a challenge as well. We still get a paper - I read the comics and sports every morning. It's like a habit that's hard to break. I know I can find everything I want online, but I also know where it is in the paper.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 pm

All true JAF. Still not sure it's a wise investment with Newspapers cutting entire departments left and right.

I'm a huge fan of newspapers, I grew up with a bowl of cereal, the sports and the funnies in front of me every morning of the week. Heck...my first job was as a paperboy for the burlington free press. I'll never forget those stale vanilla cookies from Mrs. Gertrude Williams down the street.

News is just as important as it once was, and always will be...but the method that it gets to "us" is changing. The number of people that don't use computers is getting smaller and smaller. Most of today's teens probably haven't ever opened a newspaper. Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, Forums, Text Messaging, Tablets, Phones, Laptops, you name it...there are tons of ways for us to get information - for FREE.

Its one of the reasons at NHSP we have not pursued a "pay for" service for our content. There are too many free information resources out there to compete with them. We have to find other ways to provide a service and stay in business. Its challenging, just like it is for newspapers. You have people that want to be paid for their time, travel costs, etc. You have costs associated with running a business, marketing, etc. How do you stay in business when your main services are free?

This company that purchased the telegraph seems to have some success in a dying world. I'm sure they're getting a great deal. I hope they can make some changes because they have an opportunity to take over as the States best newspaper, it wouldn't take much.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm

They can start by covering High School sports. Hiring a few correspondents, having them go to a high school game and covering it, would be awesome. If I want to read about the Sox, the Bruins, the Patriots, the Celtics, or the Masters, I will buy a Boston paper or surf 100 online outlets. Not to mention ESPN.
Coverage of local college action is even pathetic. St. A's played a DH on Sunday, a local kid got a W after a strong performance in Game #1, and the entire article in the Union Leader was about 30 words. That's a joke.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum