New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

HS All Star Games at NHTI

5 posters

Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty HS All Star Games at NHTI

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

Here's an article in today's UL about the underclassmen All Star game at NHTI this Friday. It just says the senior AS games will be Saturday, but there are no details for those games.

unionleader.com/article/20130319/SPORTS21/130318996

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty Hold the Phone!

Post  NHRamFan Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Underclassmen All Star game will NOT happen Friday night. The NHIAA has stepped in and has said that players who participate will lose a year of eligibility. One would think the NHBCO and the NHIAA might have had a wee bit of communication prior to holding such an event. For that matter, you would think the NHIAA might have noticed the games also occurred LAST year - after all, their offices are a couple of hops and skips from NHTI.

Apparently there is no objection to holding the event in the summertime...and it may still happen. The senior games are still on for Saturday, though the NHIAA has been sure to state that they are not "supported, endorsed, or sanctioned in any way by the NHIAA..." Can you feel the love?

It sure seems like communication is lacking. I hear there's this newfangled device called a telephone. Apparently not everyone has one yet!!

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty Re: HS All Star Games at NHTI

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:24 pm

I wish I could say something concerning this change off even silent ts, but I can't.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Please tell me this is some type or early April Fool's joke - if not, it's almost incomprehensible that the NHIAA would do something like this...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty HS All Star Games

Post  NHRamFan Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:36 pm

This is NOT an April Fool's joke; I almost wish it were. NHBCO's heart is in the right place in trying to promote hoops/players here in NH. NHIAA has to uphold its rules regarding eligibility, events which occur during the school year but out of season, etc.

The disconnect apparently occurred in no one talking to each other regarding the event ahead of time. As stated previously, these games were held last year prior to the senior games. If there had been an objection, one would think it would have arisen last year; or at the very least after the games were held. You have to assume there was no objection put forth; otherwise there wouldn't have been games scheduled for this year.

I guess we will have to watch for the follow up stories in the papers to find out what happened.
Rolling Eyes

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Yes and the union leader will now have to have a story tomorrow or the next day saying that Fridays games won't happen.

So now, in this case new news is now old news and now we're waiting for new news or we already have the new news I guess....... Thanks to the NHIAA for a confusing situation and NOT promoting Hoops in NH.

AND here I thought I wasn't going to say anything.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

So these players could show up and play if an outside organization hosted this event and called it a "showcase" or something like that and it's fine but because the NHBCO organized the event it's a problem...what a completely ridiculous position to take. Talk about finding ways to make yourself look silly...the NHIAA should have used a little common sense and said the same thing about this that it is saying about the senior games (non-sanctioned, etc.) and left it at that. Talk about a head-scratcher...this one's right up there...I think the NHIAA should get itself a good PR firm to see if they can at least figure out a way to not put itself in such a bad light time and time again with the strange positions it takes...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty HS All Star Games at NHTI

Post  NHRamFan Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I think the real issue that the NHIAA has (purely speculation on my part) is that the players would be there representing their schools. When these athletes play in showcases they are representing themselves, and when they attend AAU events they are representing their club.
I am NOT defending this postion...just looking to clarify. What I hope comes out of this is some sort of exception/permission to occur for future events. HS aged athletes are moving away from their schools as it is. Many forego playing for their HS to play for club teams (hockey; soccer); countless others are transferring to prep schools to gain exposure.
The adults that "promote" NH HS athletics (if, in fact, that is really their mission) should do more to actually promote! Exclamation

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

If you're interested in the NHIAA's by-laws regarding non-school and all-star competitions, you can find them in Sections 7 and 10 of Article II - Eligibility.

http://nhiaa.org/PDFs/2708/4ByLawArticleIIEligibility.pdf

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

Here's the update on the underclassmen all star game for Friday at NHTI which is now cancelled from today's UL.

So, it's today's newspaper which has old news, but it's actually new news, but yesterday it was new news on the Forum, but old news coming on the heals of the new news with the UL.

If and when they play this underclassmen all star game in the middle of the summer on a 90 degree day it will be as well attended as the 8th game of the day of an AAU Tournament in some Rec Center in Providence RI Rolling Eyes

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130320/SPORTS21/130329977

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty Chips All Star Game

Post  NHRamFan Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 am

What kind of reporters does the UL have? Would it have been too much to ask:
"Pat - this very same event was held last year. A) Why weren't you aware of it last year? Did you not read the papers or talk to your ADs? and B) Given that the game WAS held last year, will all players who participated retroactively lose their eligibility, causing the teams of each player to forfeit any and all games in which they participated?"

Question B is obviously tongue-in-cheek. The point being made is that the NHIAA is a bureaucratic nightmare that has no incentive to change and progress. Between this issue, the yearly changes in dealing with out of conference games, the annual confusion over how ties are resolved, etc. it seems to be an organization that needs fresh blood and some vision.

Meanwhile, the great unmentioned (more crack reporting) is the NHBCO. I'm sure Mr. Hogan and NHTI doesn't have info on who would/should be invited. Where did this info come from? Since this game was initiated by the NHBCO last year, it would be safe to assume they had a strong hand in it this year as well. Why would this organization, the members of which coach at NHIAA schools, not be aware of the potential ramifications for any underclassman who participates?

So many questions...so few answers. If we're waiting for an in-depth follow up article from ANY newspaper in this state, we'll all be cast members of Blue Man Group as we hold our breath for a loooong time.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am

"B) Given that the game WAS held last year, will all players who participated retroactively lose their eligibility, causing the teams of each player to forfeit any and all games in which they participated?"

NHRamfan

Very important point Ramfan. Will the NHIAA sweep this detail under their Clinton St rug? If the NHIAA is going to flex the By-Laws for not holding the 2013 game, then will they look into last year's illegal (According to NHIAA by-laws) underclassmen game and start dealing out suspensions, forfeits and plaque give aways and just have 2013 Championship teams listed as:

VACATED

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

HS All Star Games at NHTI Empty HS All Star Games At NHTI

Post  NHRamFan Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 am

T and F

See aforementioned comment regarding Blue Man Group. The silence from HQ on Clinton St. will be deafening. Maybe one of our Forum members who is in the media could contact Mr. Corbin for a quote regarding this question....

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am

Maybe, Gary Fitz, Jim Fennell, Joe Marchilena, John Habib or Tom King could call Mr Corbin today and do some Woodward and Bernstein investigative work and force the NHIAA hand into making 2013 the unluckiest basketball season in NH HS history by having Vacated High School as the name on most, if not all of the 2013 State Championship plaques.

Heh, a rule is a rule and a By-law is a By-Law. Let's really follow it and cross the Ts and dot the Is and see if this By-Law has some teeth that will tear into the results of the 2013 season.

Clock is ticking boys........

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 am

Here's the information on the Senior All Star games at NHTI this Saturday from the UL.

Four games are scheduled, the first two involving the girls. The 1 p.m. opener features the Division III all-stars against the Division IV all-stars. The 2:30 p.m. contest finds Division I playing Division II.

The boys hit the court beginning at 5:45 p.m. when Division III battles Division IV followed by the 7:15 p.m. nightcap between Division II and Division I.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130321/SPORTS21/130329860

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 am

The D4 boys beat the D3 boys 96 to 80. The guard play of the D4 team was outstanding. Stanley, Peters and Hawkins all had very good games for the D4 boys. Peters had a few athletic slashes and finishes. Hawkins shot the ball well and controlled the fast paced tempo for the D4 boys. Stanley did a little bit of every thing for D4 scoring both inside and out. Josh Eisfeller's length gave D3 all they could handle. The 6'6 Newmarket senior had some athletic post moves and finished with 14 points.

The D3 boys were lead by Devin Springfield who had 20. Springfield was deadly from outside. When he drove to the hoop his 6'3 frame served him well. Springfield would start on any D1 team.

The D2 girls beat the D1 girls 72 to 63. This result did not surprise me because the D2 team had some talent. Moriah Morton and Alicia Brown combined for 31. The D2 team also had good guard play with Flaum, Pitsas and Emily Kehoe of Lebanon who had 14. Meghan Green had 23 to lead the D1 girls. Nikki Hayner with 12 and Caitlyn Perry with 11 led the D1 girls.

Don't let the 100 to 87 victory by the D1 boys over the D2 boys fool you. The D2 boys played a great game yesterday. The final margin is not indicative of how the game went. The D2 boys were in control of this game for 37 minutes. D2 shot out to an 8 to 0 lead in the first 90 seconds and had Doc wheeler calling a TO. The D2 boys shot lights out in the first half taking a cue from their coach Matt Alosa and they were draining 3s from every part of the NHTI gym. The D2 boys had a 51 to 40 lead at halftime on 60% shooting from 3 Land on 14 - 23 shooting. Matt Persons had an outstanding 1st half. It seemed like he hit every 3 he put up with Nothing But Net.

The D1 boys upped their defensive pressure in the 2nd half and outscored D2 60 to 36. D1 took their first lead of the game with 3 minutes left in the game 85 to 83 on a Kaleb Marquis 3. D1 outscored D2 17 to 4 in the last 3 minutes of the game. The added D1 defensive pressure and length kept D2 to a 6 - 14 three point shooting in the 2nd half. Jeff Lunn was high scorer in the game with 20 points. Mabor Gabriel had a big game with 17 points and 16 rebounds. Jack Preston scored 13. He was a matchup nightmare for D2. Kaleb Marquis played very well in his home town with 12 points. The D2 guards were great. Persons had 17. Travis MacDonald of Portsmouth was deadly from 3 Land in the 2nd half and finished with 16. PJ Flaum and Nick Lloyd each had 13.

MVP of the game. This is a tough one. I had it narrowed down to Jeff Lunn and Mabor Gabriel. Lunn was more consistent with his scoring throughout the game. Gabriel had a great 2nd half, but was slow starting in the 1st half. If it wasn't for Lunn's initial inside buckets in the first half the D2 team might have carried in a 15 to 20 point lead at halftime. When nobody was scoring for D1 early and D2 maintaining a 10 point + lead Lunn attacked the paint successfully and anchored the defensive paint for D1.

Jeff Lunn MVP of Game

Nice article in today's UL with all the stats from yesterday's senior all star games at NHTI:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130323/SPORTS21/130329549

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Nice recap T&F and good article in UL. Congrats to Lunn and Gabriel for having good games. I think many who like basketball are a little lost right now, but now time for baseball and another favorite track & field. I wonder how all our college brackets are doing these days. Unbelievable - who knew there was a team named FGCU.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down