@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

POY, COY and All State Teams by T & F

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Here's my All State, POY and COY picks for the 2012/2013 Season.

A few thoughts before I get going. It was very difficult to pick the first team. There were 9 legit 1st team all staters this season. I picked these All State Teams in order that the coaches would pick them. If a player is high on the 2nd team, then he is closer to 1st team than he is to Honorable Mention. The COY pick could've gone either way. Please, please, please don't attack my picks if you feel differently. Just respectfully have a mature conversation. I have no dog in the fight or horse in the race. I really don't. I DO NOT have an official ballot, so don't worry if your dog or horse isn't where you think they should be.

One more thing. I'm fully expecting Jeremy and a couple of others to post they should wait until the playoffs are done to vote for all these awards. I'm still waiting for the US Government to tax me less, so I can put more gas in my car, food on my table and $$ into my savings account. All these things, including waiting until the playoffs are over for the HS basketball awards to be presented, will never happen in Jeremy's or T & F's lifetime.

Player of the Year: Troy Pelletier of Central:

I am telling you the Dave Haley's (God's) truth when I tell you that in making this decision I had Troy, Mabor Gabriel and Tim Preston in my top slot for 1st team all state, which would be my POY vote, back and forth and back and forth. I started with Tim Preston, the best point guard in D1. He handles the ball and runs the show with what could be arguably the best starting 5 in D1. He can distribute or take it upon himself to take over a game. I then put Mabor Gabriel in the top slot, who had a consistently solid year with scoring, blocked shots, rebounding and mental and physical shot alterations (maybe a new stat in the near future). Even though Mabor was not Tunji Awojobi, he had a very good season in leading Trinity to the top spot. I then went to Troy Pelletier and saw that since the start of the new year he was consistently great. In the last 3 losses for Central he scored 27, 25 and 20 respectively. My last determining factor in putting Pelletier in my top All State slot/POY vote... Take Pelletier, Gabriel and Tim Preston off their respective teams. How many more losses would each team have without these 3 players. I submit to you Trinity would have about 3 to 4 more losses without Gabriel. South would have 3 to 4 more losses without Tim Preston. Central? Well, in my humble opinion or IMHO as today's crowd calls it, I feel confident in saying Central would have 5 to 6 more losses if they didn't have Troy Pelletier on their team. Lest we forget Central losing Isaiah Joseph for the year, at the start of the season, which put even more pressure on Pelletier to carry the Little Green. Central would be a .500 team or just above it if they didn't have Pelletier. Troy Pelletier consistently carried Central all year long and into a Top 4 seed. Troy Pelletier POY for 2013.

Coach of the Year: Tim Cronin of Spaulding:

They finished 3rd. People had their doubts mid way through the season. People kept on saying wait until their last 4 games. Well, they went 4 - 0 in their last 4 games including huge road victories over South and Memorial. They lost to Trinity by 2 at Trinity. They lost to Salem by 4 at Salem. They lost to Central by 10 at home which was a much closer game. Spaulding was consistently solid from December through March. This Rochester team doesn't benefit from the Transfer Shuffle like some other programs do. Coach Cronin just builds a solid program year after year and this season might have been his best coaching job in recent memory.

2nd Place: Mike Fitzpatrick of Bedford - I thought Bedford would go 9 - 9 this season. They finished 12 - 6. The Bulldogs lost quite a bit due to graduation and prep from last season and went into the D1 Hot Coals. They lost 5 out of their first 8 games and were getting burned by some of those D1 hot coals. They have now won 9 of their last 10 including a big Mo W against Central in the last regular season game.

3rd Place: Nat Mazz of South - Even though South was supposed to have a good year they still have to play 18 games and produce. They not only produced, but became a team every one had very high regard for. Their 4 losses were by a combined 15 points. When you engage with South on the court it stretches the mental and physical capacity of your team. Mazz is the head of this mental and physical structure in this South program.

1st Team All State:

Troy Pelletier
Tim Preston
Mabor Gabriel
Eric Gendron
Dominic Paradis
Jack Preston

2nd Team All State:

Jeff Lunn
Carmen Giampetruzzi
Kaleb Marquis
Tyler Livingston
Kabongo Ngalakulondi
Nick MacGregor

Honorable Mention:

Tong Akot, Rich Ruffin, Jordan Lates, Tyler Russ, Brian Boulay, Cam Meservey, Billy Carroll, David Dunham, Brett Hanson and Zoubel Iradakunda.

An Honorably Honorable Mention to sunny sunny Pat Mahoney sunny sunny of Timberlane, so there aren't a plethora of new threads started on why he should be on All State. I just gave him his due in shining lights, so please, NO separate Pat Mahoney threads on the Forum !!!!

With apologies to the following players who just missed the cut: Andrew Ruffen, Taylor Sarette, Dawson Dickson, Josh Cote, Tyler Brown, Alec Yoksh, Sam Knollmeyer, Max Medley, Luke Testa and Cam Welch (Heh Pinkerton has 1 million basketball players. I have to at least mention a couple of them)

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: POY, COY and All State Teams by T & F

Post  Tulliver on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

A wise forum-ite told you Cronin would be COY though - correct? and Pelletier for POY?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

really and who would that be?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Check your phone with the picture you texted me of OUR individual picks!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 am

T&F

Might want to put Billy Carroll up onto 2nd team after shredding Memorial almost by himself tonight! He was extremely impressive and got the Game Winner!

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 am

DeafPanther: Sorry to say, but my picks are based on regular season, just like the actual coaches vote. The post season performances do not sway my picks as they don't sway the coaches picks. This is why I posted my picks today before the playoffs. The coaches had to have their ballots in by this past weekend.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 am

Ok, thats fine!

Def on my shortlist for Playoff MVP than...we'll see how far Dover goes!

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 am

They do have an All Tournament Team and Tournament MVP at UNH when the games are concluded. The players that make up this team are always from the 4 semi final teams. There are never any players on the All Tournament Team from any team that DOESN'T make it to the Final Four.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am

So...... After a long day of work, hoops and writing I receive a quiet little text message from some one named Jeremy. It was a question:

"Jeff Holmes the COY after the big Exeter playoff victory tonight or you still sticking with Cronin?"

You know this is where the saying, "A good fence makes a good neighbor." If Jeremy was my next door neighbor I would definitely have one of those 8 foot high pretty white fences surrounding my property so when Jeremy knows how I feel on this subject.......

"I'm fully expecting Jeremy and a couple of others to post they should wait until the playoffs are done to vote for all these awards. I'm still waiting for the US Government to tax me less, so I can put more gas in my car, food on my table and $$ into my savings account. All these things, including waiting until the playoffs are over for the HS basketball awards to be presented, will never happen in Jeremy's or T & F's lifetime."

......... And we both go to the mailbox at the same time and he's nagging me about how playoffs should determine the POY and COY, I could quickly slip behind my 8 foot fence surrounding my property and drown out the echoes of Jeremy........ Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I talked to a coach and after watching the South game he wished he had his vote back,because of David Dunham performance. So there are coaches that think we should wait.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Here's some selection thoughts. Just thinking out loud.

If I were picking a team today to play the NHIAA D1 schedule. I would probably be very sure about the top 5, but unsure of the 6th spot. The NHIAA schedule gives the fans only 2 games per week. Tough to get your scouting fix satisfied. However, the benefit of waiting a couple of days helps, and in regards to COY, looking back on the recent resume can't hurt.

1st Team All State:
Troy Pelletier
Tim Preston
Carmen Giampetruzzi
Eric Gendron
Dominic Paradis
*Jack Preston
*Mabor Gabriel
*Jeff Lunn
*I can't make up my mind, so, pick one and move two down.

2nd Team All State:
Tyler Livingston
Kabongo Ngalakulondi
Nick MacGregor
Billy Carroll (I can't forget about the Memorial upset)
*Add two players from above

Coach of the Year
Mike Romps......lost his best player to injury. Lost LeBlanc to prep. Still alive in the final 8. 2nd major playoff upset in as many years. What's not to respect.
Tim Cronin....final four last year. Had a chance for a huge round of 8 upset at BG in 2011 when a point blank shot rolled off the rim. BG goes on to win the title with McClung and Green.
Tim Goodridge....did anyone pick 13-5 for his squad this season? Did anyone believe they would upset Trinity? Merrimack #1 last season (helped by Dover's upset of #2 Salem) However, two tough upsets in 2011 and 2010. One at the buzzer to Alvirne and another to Londonderry. One of the top D1 records over that 4 year span.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

My team.

Post  GNG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:08 pm

POY - Paradis. Four year stud. End of story.

Tim Preston. Love his game. Only a junior.
Troy Pelletier. People speak highly of him both on and off the court. That goes a long way with me.
Eric Gendron. See Pelletier. That's two juniors on my squad.
Carmen G. What a sick athlete. Basketball is his third best sport. That makes three juniors.
Lunn. Much like Pelletier a leader both on and off the court. Showed this young team the right way to play.

COY- Cronin. I always like how his team plays.

Runnerups- Migs and Goody tied. Both 13-5. Very few saw that coming.

Not for nothing, but there is a ton of kids coming back next year. You think it was hard coming up with a squad this year. Wait a year. There will be 20 kids in this discussion next year. That's good for NH hoops. Basketball

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  TooClutch on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm

GNG who do you have for honorable mention?

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  amcman7 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Player of the Year: Troy Pelletier

1st Team:
Troy Pelletier –He is the best all-around player in D1, and his team would be .500 or less without him. He plays better as the games get bigger, and he makes everyone around him better. He rarely forces shots, and his efficiency is amazing. He is not just a scorer for his team, on any given night, he may cover the opposing team’s best player, lead the team in rebounds, or lead the team in assists. He is the most unselfish, best scorer I’ve seen this year.

Mabor Gabriel – He is long, athletic, and a nightmare for any team to have to cover in the post. He doesn’t have great strength, but he has a unique ability to force himself into the right position on the block whenever he wants. Mabor is a great shot blocker, and his length also allows him to guard smaller players without getting beat easily off the dribble.

Eric Gendron – Gendron is right there with Pelletier. Both have similar builds, can get the rim when desired, and can shoot the jumper. Gendron is always able to get easy baskets at the rim, and he has that “I want the ball attitude all the time.” He wants to be the person who leads his team.

Tim Preston – He is the best point guard in the state. There are other great point guards, but I will take Preston any day. He has a good looking outside shot, and this makes it very difficult to stop him from penetrating the lane and finishing through contact, or finding his brother. He sees the court very well and is not afraid to make the tough pass.

Dominic Paradis – He is a four year varsity player for Spaulding, and that is a huge accomplishment in high school. At times, I’ve seen him dominate a game with his versatility, but I’ve also seen him make sure his teammates get involved. He has both a great outside shot and good skill set in the post. He’s a tough matchup for centers because of his outside game, and he’s a tough matchup for smaller guys because of his length.

Carmen Giampetruzzi – He is a magnificent athlete, and has a great frame. He started out slow but came on strong as the season continued, and he gave Trinity a much needed second scorer. He plays great defense and is a strong force to deal with on the boards.

2nd Team:
Jack Preston
Jeff Lunn
Kaleb Marquis
Tyler Livingston
Kabongo Ngalakulondi
Tong Akot

Honorable Mention:
Zoubel Iradakunda, Brett Hanson, Nick MacGregro, Jordan Lates, Rich Ruffen, Cam Meservey, Billy Carroll, Tyler Russ, Brian Boulay, (Can’t Decide on a 10th player)

Coach of the Year:
Mike Romps (See baseball4ever)

amcman7
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  TooClutch on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I like yoyr picks and for your 10th man on honorable mention either David Dunham or Taylor Sarette

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  TooClutch on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

For the POY Id go with Gendron, Hes the number 1 scorer in the state and who thought Merrimack would go 13-5. This award goes to the most valuable player and most productive player, the production is there and without Gendron Merrimack doesnt even make playoffs this year. Gendron POY

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

POY, COY and All State Teams

Post  nhkickzgod on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 am

Here's my All State, POY and COY picks for the 2012/2013 Season.

Player of the Year: Dominic Paradis Spaulding
4 year starter, can control the game without scoring, which is pretty difficult for a forward to do. He never seems to get “frazzled” and plays very cool. I have been watching him since his freshman year and he just keeps improving his game. He will not win because of coaching bias throughout the state (certain coaches are close friends and vote to include/ exclude players). Gendron is a close runner up. Pelletier will win (see bias). Dom has been the prime building block of the creation of one of the best and classiest programs in the state. Not many people could say that about Spaulding basketball before Cronin arrived. Dom should also be Mr. Basketball.

Coach of the Year: Jeff Holmes Exeter
Everyone predicted that Exeter would win 1 or 2 games this year and have no shot at the playoffs. Instead he got them to the quarterfinals against Spaulding, where they shot 6-22 from the FT line & lost by 5. Exeter was in every game this year except one (early in the season), which is pretty difficult to do considering they lost their top player to prep school. His team is plays great defense and does a nice job controlling the tempo of the game. Runner up should be Cronin. He has built the best program and he did it his way. Both coaches are classy, ethical and well respected, but will not win. My bet would be Goodrich wins, lost a lot of talent from last year, but still has one of the top two players in the state (Gendron).

1st Team All State:
Dominic Paradis
Eric Gendron
Jeff Lunn
Carmen Giampetruzzi
Tong Akot
Troy Pelletier

2nd Team All State:
Nick MacGregor
Tim Preston
Mabor Gabriel
Tyler Livingston
Kabongo Ngalakulondi
Zoubel Iradakunda

Honorable Mention:
Brian Boulay,
Billy Carroll
Andrew Ruffen
Jack Preston
Dawson Dickson
Brett Hanson
Sam Thomas

nhkickzgod
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 am

I don't know much about the voting and politics involved in POY, COY and AllState Teams… but if what @nhkickzgod says is true, then its very disheartening. These kids go out there and play their hearts out, night after night. Many of these top players, find ways to make a difference every night even when one aspect of their games aren't working.

If I had to choose POY and Mr Basketball, one of each should go to Dominic Paradis and Jeff Lunn. For what they've done for their team, how they lead their teams, and character.

COY - Not sure who I would pick here. Many coaches deserving this year… Cronin, Migneault, Goodridge.

All-State 1st Team: Paradis, Lunn, T.Preston, Pellitier, Gendron, Giampetruzzi

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 am

Looking forward to Dave's season ending review, and what's ahead for next season. ALWAYS a good read. study

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  dj5hoop on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 am

Nobody should be surprised about politics playing a part in the All State selection process. Why would it be any different from real life? Politics plays a huge role in everything we do. Always has and always will.

The truth is there are a number of candidates worthy of winning POY and COY. I know the voting takes place before the playoffs which never made much sense to me. Let it all play out and then coaches can make their picks. We all get tunnel vision regarding the player we like and have watched all season. The top candidates are all hard working great kids so it's easy to get caught up in thinking our guy should win. As for coach of the year, Migs would get my vote followed by Fitzy from Bedford and Jeff Holmes from Exeter. All three of those guys have exceeded expectations. Coach Keefe has had a great season as well. When your team is expected to contend the coach can sometimes be overlooked. Even though Trinity is where everyone expected them to be, it still requires proper navigation to guide the ship.

dj5hoop
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 am

It still amazes me people think the COY and POY should be voted on after the playoffs. In the 4 major sports the MVP and COY is based on the regular season and not the playoffs. Always has, always is and always will be. In HS basketball since GNG was knee high to a Grasshopper the COY and POY has been based on the regular season.

If they extended the vote to include the playoffs think about the scenario you would have. The coaches of the 4 teams that don't make the playoffs probably really wouldn't care about the playoff performances, playing and coaching, because they are knocked out and their interest would wane. The coaches of the 8 teams knocked out in the prelims would have, for the most part, a similar waning attitude with regards to filling out a ballot. At that point you would have 12 of the 20 coaches sending in a less passionate vote than during the regular season.

This is why MVP, COY and POY voting in HS basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL are based on the regular season. I just think it's wasted breath to try to change it to have the voting based on playoffs also. Always has, is and will be based on regular season for the rest of our lives.

I guess when Jeremy's children and other children of some of our Forum members bring this argument up in another 15 to 30 years AND THE AWARDS ARE STILL BASED ON REGULAR SEASON and not playoffs I will just look at the postings and just smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  dj5hoop on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

I see your point and you are right about the system being in place forever and in all other sports as well. They are two seperate seasons and probably should be judged as such. I guess I have always placed too much emphasis on the teams that go the deepest in the playoffs. The regular season is about preparing your team for the playoffs. From a coaching aspect the body of work at the end of the season is ultimately how you should be judged. If you run the table and get knocked out early you are no different then the 9-9 team that does the same thing. Maybe COY makes more sense to judge when the season is over. It's always been an interesting argument and I understand it will never change.

dj5hoop
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Definitely an interesting argument. It never gets tired because circumstances change from year to year.

Your scenario dj, go 18-0, get knocked out in the first round... would be a monumental disappointment for any coach to swallow. So I have questions. What kind of league was it? Was it balanced? Was the 18-0 team tested on a nightly basis? Could anyone have rolled the balls out and won those 18? If the standings show a 16-2 team, a 15-3, two 14-4, and the TEAMS PLAYED EVERYONE IN THE LEAGUE (that's a hint NHIAA) then the undefeated team was tested, and regardless of the 1st round loss, maybe the coach should be COY. Wouldn't the league coaches understand that. Upsets happen. Ask Salem last year. Memorial this...

Maybe it's better to wait? Watch the coach who gets it done in post-season....I do see the argument. But I tend to side on the way it's always been done.

Coaches choose at the conclusion of the regular season. Let the newspapers and the sports reporters wait. They can afford to look at the complete body of work...opening night to the last whistle. The newspapers in NH, however, don't seem to care much about D1 vs D2 etc. Don't they just lump it all together? But newspaper's coverage of HS sports is a discussion for another time.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: POY, COY and All State Teams

Post  amcman7 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Supposedly, All-State was announced; has anyone heard?

amcman7
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  RRBHGAL on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 pm

As has COY.............. Mad

RRBHGAL
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down