@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Division I Boys Prelims

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Division I Boys Prelims

Post  baseball4ever on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 pm

T and F,

Yes, Merrimack's frigid hand to start the game was a deciding factor in the Exeter's upset. When a handful of shots rimmed in and out, the home team was looking for answers. There weren't too many inside. Exeter's length in the 3-2 zone was imposing. They can give Spaulding more than they can handle unless McGregor's jump shots fall. Should be an exciting game in Rochester on Friday.

Exeter seemed well-prepared for the rubber match of their 3-game series with the defending champions. Holmes's team does a nice job varying their defensive looks--3-2, man, box and 1, 1-2-2 3/4 court trap. But ultimately they didn't need much more than the 3-2 last night. Their man to man offensive sets are difficult to defend. Spaulding might use a zone of their own. If which case the score will be in the 40s.

A key possession in the game came at approximately the 2 minute mark when Merrimack had clawed their way back, and I believe were trailing 41-40 with the ball. A pass into the paint off a curl was fumbled and the turnover resulted. That was pretty much the end for Mack.

The game was physical but somehow Merrimack only shot about a half dozen free throws making only one. Their misses included a key front end of a 1 and 1 down the stretch.

By the way, the technical foul was a result of something said to the Exeter player who threw an elbow on a dead ball. The Merrimack player bent to pick up the dead ball to hand it to the official and the Exeter player threw the elbow. He then picked up the ball. I suppose the elbow went unseen by the official.

Dover's upset of Memorial must have been something to see. That's two straight years Mike Romps' team has pulled a major 1st round upset. Can anyone say COY?

Best game Friday night?
Central v. BG. Could be rock fight. I think Central will find a way.
South v. Dover Two upsets in a row on the road? Dover couldn't pull it off against Merrimack last year? I think South is a lock. South v. Trinity in the semi's will be a good one.
Trinity v. Bedford I like Trinity. Bedford was 5-4 on the road. ...Trinity advances pulling away by 12.
Spaulding v. Exeter We need one upset don't we? Will we see seeds 1-4 at Durham? Lots of people hope so. Exeter's 2nd trip to Spaulding results in a 3-point victory this time. Exeter lost on the road to Central by a few. Nice spot for a Cinderella upset.
Exeter vs. South in the finals. Just hoping.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Yes, the technical 12 seconds into the 2nd quarter was a strange one, in that you hardly ever see one given on a dead ball without a call or physical play that had just transpired in live action. Maybe, a dead ball elbow was missed, but at this time of year a player has to hold their tongue or actions. It's too easy to say a referee might miss the first action/verbal, but catch the retaliation, but once again it's so true. Ask North how a retaliation technical changed their season last year in the Quarterfinal against Spaulding. I'm not comparing the North technical to the Mack technical because the North dead ball technical against Spaulding was a game changer. All I'm saying is stuff happens on the court. The players are competitive and want to win. Not every thing is seen or heard by the officials. Players have to remember that or be coached in this sense to control their emotions or actions. The difference in a playoff game can be miniscule in terms of shots rimming out, going in or a player or coach not controlling their emotions.

Good points on the Exeter Zone which they played for about 75% of the game. The more Mack missed the more entrenched the Blue Hawk zone became. One would think the Exeter zone will be prevelant at the RCC on Friday. Points will be tough to come by. Spaulding won 43 to 40 in the regular season. An 8 - 2 run or something near it might be the difference in this one. Exeter's length will give Spaulding trouble if they don't shoot the ball well.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm

You are so right. Basketball seems to be a game that can turn on the smallest mistake.... physical or, as in this case, mental. I do believe that games lost in January are very vital to games lost in March...seedings etc., but the one's in March are unforgiving. Every play, every miss is magnified. How important were 3 or 4 missed free throws in the 1st half by Merrimack? Assume they were all made. Merrimack is winning instead of behind by one with 2:00 left in the contest. How about the basket that ended the half? I believe Merrimack had the ball with under a half-minute. A turnover results in a last second Exeter score that sends the teams to the locker with an 8-point spread. The swing was BIG with that mistake.

If you are looking for Cinderella, Exeter might be a good choice. They have length. They have some strength with their mid-sized players. They can shoot it fairly-well. They are well-coached by Holmes, who uses his bench to the max. Should be an exciting, low-scoring contest that could turn on the smallest mistake.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Jeff Holmes = probably the best thing ever to come out of the Keene High basketball program.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  bball101 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

spaulding was very impressive last night vs keene hitting 12 three pointers and paradis had 12 on 4 threes and macgregor had 18 and impacted the game in many ways. spaulding is looking good and i believe they are the number 2 team behind trinity.

keenes taylor sarette had 19 and played very well and brian boulay also had nice game with 16 points

bball101
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

12 3-pointers is a recipe for a state championship. Can Holmes and Exeter slow that down?

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I cant talk enough about David Dunham performance last night, with Jack Preston in foul trouble last night, and Dan Auger out with a concussion in the beginning of the8 points to start the 4th, Durham just said we are not losing tonight big rebounds, big shots, down 3 under minute left ties it up, in OT down 3 hits three, the rebounds and go ahead basket with a under a minute left in OT on a Tim Preston missed lay up and then two more foul shots up 1. He also rolled his ankle with about 2 minutes left in the 4th with the game tied.
24 points and well over ten boards, for this kid that that as 7th grander threw up in my class he was afraid to raise his hand to ask to leave. It is so fun to see these kids grow up and have huge games like this.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

@goldenbear - Not to diminish what Dunham did and he is a very good player, but Lunn had a more impressive night. Lunn had 25 pts and 25 boards....and dominated the whole game and carried the team in all phases at different times in the game. Dunham is a great player and the X Factor if South is going to make a run.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bball101 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I think Lunn will have a huge came vs central because central is undersized but if bg wants to pull out a win CJ Boykins or someone on BG has to emerge as 2nd scorer and score 12-14 points and im interested in who Boykins will guard Hansen or Dickson

bball101
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:36 am

Observer not to argue but in my opinion your flat out wrong, Dunham game was by far the biggest of the night, Lunn 25 and 21 was huge and he had the better overall year but you most likely were not at the South game so you did not see the game he had and under the circumstances he had the game. Dunham 24 and close to 20 as well,( I dont keep stats) along with the clutch shots, he hit 4 huge shots counting ft in the last 2 minutes plus OT. I knew if I posted something one of the BG fans would argue it is pretty funny stuff.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Golden Bear

Post  rwvogeley on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am

I agree with you about Dunhams game. It was nice to see him shine as he has been inthe background, publicity wise, for much of the season. The more he powsts up, which is where he did his damage, the more likely the 3 ball will be there.
However, I thought the best part of the game the other night , was the defense that Trevor Knight played on Ruffen. Ruffen is a nice player, I like him better than Paradis at Spaulding,but Trevor played real good deny defense.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 am

We can discuss all day long which player had the better game. Measuring basketball performance can be very subjective, especially when we only compare points and unofficial rebound totals.

I have seen players have outstanding games, the kind of games where their team would have probably lost had they been not on the court. They shared the ball, hit the open man, played great defense both on the ball and helpside, made deflections of passes their opponents threw...most of this stuff doesn't make the high school box score. If they didn't shoot, you wouldn't even know that they existed. They make valuable CONTRIBUTIONS. Many times these players even go unmentioned when a coach has a minute or two on the radio Saturday morning. Those are the kids that measure their performance by wins and losses. In New Hampshire basketball you need a bunch of these guys on your team or you compete night after night. Let's admit it. There are not many superstars in the NHIAA.

So was it Lunn or Dunham? I don't know. It was difficult to be at both games. I do know that any coach would want these boys on their roster. Which performance was the biggest of the night?

The South game went to overtime...Dunham had to be big? Simply looking at the #s.......24 points in a 59-55 overtime win. That's impressive. Lunn 25 in a 66-57 win. Also impressive.

Who had the better defensive game? I've seen players score 20 and their man scores 22. Again, I was not at either game. I do not know what defensive sets were used by anyone. I do not know who covered whom. I only know that Tyler Livingston scored 29 with only three 3s in his team's loss to BG. Also impressive. I ask myself was Lunn covering Livingston?

Now, someone from Dover could get involved in this discussion. Billy Carroll scored 29 of the 61 points his team scored in their 1-point upset of 5-seed Memorial. That looks great in the box-score. I'm know somebody better pay attention to him Friday. I will go out in a limb and say Dover doesn't win without him. However, I also believe that there may have been one or two players in Coach Romps' rotation Tuesday night that don't stand out in the box scores......players who contributed greatly to Dover's second upset in as many years.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Bedford

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 am

Just a note regarding Bedford turning a 3-point half time deficit into an 18-point victory. 5 players in double figures scoring. Grande and Thomas leading the way with 12. Talk about team contributions.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 am

After letting a couple of days settle in one would say the Carroll performance at 1 Crusader Way was the night's biggest. You have the #12 beating the #5 at their gym. Carroll scores nearly half of Dover's points. Not much was expected in the tournament from Alvirne and Salem, who were BG and South's opponents respectively. Memorial was thought to be a team that at least could make it to the Final Four and with their heads firmly placed on their shoulders perhaps a D1 Champion this season. Carroll has the huge game in leading #12 to a huge victory over #5.

After contemplating the various factors. Billy Carroll gets my player of the night or PON for the Prelim night.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

T & F,
I agree. Big victory for Dover. Memorial had been considered a final four team for most, if not all, of the season. Billy Carroll took that away from them. PON.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 pm

I did see Dunham in the 2nd half, actually. Great ball player. I was able to see some video of the BG game as well to compare. I dont disagree with you (@goldenbear) that he had a great performance, but I would argue it was only great because of the clutch factor, that it was great. I'd have to see Dunham whole performance to compare the two, but they very well could be equal. That also means that the X-factor for both of South and BG are these players.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Clutch means everything to me, that is why I loved his game

and speaking of defense on Ruffin, if you watched close every time he ran baseline and tried to come out Dunham side he got bumped and bumped hard, that was a thing of beauty which helped knight get out on him to help contain him.

Trevor knight is just a pure athlete and his hustle and his work on d is also fun to watch.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum