@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

2013 Teams and Players to Watch

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2013 Teams and Players to Watch

Post  NHbaseballdad13 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Observer, what makes you put spaulding into the top 5? And who would be your fifth, if you dont include Londonderry twice?

NHbaseballdad13
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

My 5 is Timberlane.

Spaulding is up there because they only lost Dow, their lone big gun. They can hit and will have experience. I just have a feeling about them Wink

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHbaseballdad13 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm

I would have to agree. Timberlane has a solid offense and pitching, but needs some work in the field. Seems to me like this year has no "favorite" with a top team, but thats what makes it better, right?

NHbaseballdad13
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 am

The season starts today! Good Luck to all the teams in New Hampshire!

Pray to Mother Nature that the snow passes over!!!

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHbaseballdad13 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on Merrimack and Wojciak?

NHbaseballdad13
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Here is the link to the Division 1 schedules for all teams: http://www.nhiaa.org/sport_schedules.cfm?CID=5&SID=1&TG=Boys&CD=I

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Matt Wojciak is big, I hear he is getting stronger, and he has a big upside...a left hander who can strike people out. How will he deal with being a #1? He has his catcher, Gasper, returning. He has his shortstop, Black, back. His first baseman, Cushman, played some last year when Hudon was on the hill. How does the rest of the defense play out? You don't want Wojo TRYING to strike out 21 batters per game. It's going to be an interesting year in NH baseball.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Seacoast players

Post  baseball23 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am

I saw a lot of high school games on the seacoast last year and the player I'd throw in the mix is Winni junior lefty Connor McHardy (sp?). big kid, throws hard in upper 80's. I think he won 4 games as a Soph including a cg win over Concord when they were still undefeated and a cg win over memorial. I heard he outpitched McCarthy of BG in their playoff game. Joyce (exeter), Holt (ports), Lupi (dover) and McHardy are the pitchers to watch over here.

baseball23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 am

Not surprisingly the baseball "family" isn't as vociferous on this site as the basketball "crowd" Very Happy

Day 1 of the season had North and Exeter played 13 innings of scoreless baseball - that's amazing... Perhaps it's a good thing it was played at Exeter and not Holman where there's lights.... If you like pitching - it must have been awesome to watch. If you like hitting, well you probably fell asleep. Not sure when things will be picked up...

Of most surprise to me was Concord beating Trinity and Spaulding beating Timberlane... both on the road no less. The Union Leader sports page has the "coverage"

Concord/Trinity: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130408/SPORTS21/130409145/1042/SPORTS
Spaulding/Timberlane: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130409/SPORTS21/130409110/1042/SPORTS

Alvirne and BG both breezed to victories.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball23 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm kicking myself for not going to the Exeter-North game Friday. What a way to start off the year for them. Anyone else get the sense that there is great parity in D1 this year, that most anyone can beat most anyone on any given day? I think this will be fun, a season of close games and surprises.

baseball23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree about parity - like hoops I think there's probably 8-10 teams that each has a #1 that will make games boring to hitting enthusiasts... The #1's on the remain 6-8 teams are probably at best #2's. The key for the #1's - keep your pitch count low. Avoid the dreaded walks. For Trinity, G got into the 7th, but had 100+ pitches (in April no less), so in comes the reliever and there goes the lead.

BTW: For those hitting enthusiasts - every other game could be a slugfest! North & Exeter clearly have 2 pitchers (either that or neither team can hit the #2's).

I'm going to be BG/Dover tonight at Holman (7PM) - should be Lunn and Lupi which should be a good pitching matchup. I'm assuming Lupi will be going as Dover didn't play on Monday.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:39 pm

In respect to the North-Exeter game, North has McCarthy and Mike Robert both good pitchers, and they will be tough on any team especially when they combine for 22 Ks which is the rumor I heard. On the Exeter front, I would tend to air on the side that they have Joyce for pitching and thats it. North doesn't have much offense so they wont score a lot of runs.

I don't think there are 8-10 pitchers that will shut down lineups consistently. I think G, Morais, Lunn, McCarthy, and Joyce are the best is D1, but it depends on the team they face. Maloney (Londonderry) may be in the conversation but I'm not a fan. I think a lot of teams will have trouble against the lineups of Londonderry, Timberlane, BG, and Alvirne. But as always lets see what the season brings us.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 am

I've probably butchered the spelling of a few - apologize in advance.

To go with your list of:

McCarthy/Robert - North
Giampetruzi - Trinity
Morais/Lunn - BG
Joyce - Exeter

Consider:
Partridge - Concord (he pitched against G)
Lupi - Dover
Wocjiak - Merrimack
Maloney/Corey - Londonderry
Brown - Alvirne
Damphousse - Timberlane
??? - Spaulding that beat Timberlane
Morin - Salem
Penkala - South
Herlihy - Pinkerton

While not all perhaps considered the same as the first group - they still can shut down opponents and yes I know it depends on who they pitch against and whether the team behind them makes the plays. You don't have to throw 85-90... Just need to get 21 outs (or less if your offense comes alive). I've seen teams throw pitchers that result in 15 ground ball outs because the batters cannot adjust to a slower speed or junk offerings. Also Maloney has a scholy offer in hand so someone is a fan...

I have no idea of who is the #1 from the rest, but it seems they did not stop their opponent in game 1...

? - Keene
? - Winny
? - Memorial
? - Central
? - Bedford

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 am

Moloney is definitely in the top tier of pitchers. Maybe he has to pitch well against BG to recieve credit on this forum?! Smile
Anyone who has a D1 scholarship belongs in any conversation with top pitchers in NH. It isn't like we have a lot of D1 players as it is.
To say otherwise is just insane. IMHO

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball23 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 am

Winni has to be sick over their loss to South yesterday 5-4 in 8 innings. Defense killed them- 8 errors led to 4 unearned runs. Can't win many games with fielding like that. Interesting to see how they do vs. North Monday night at Holman if McHardy pitches vs. McCarthy

baseball23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am

nhball9 wrote:Moloney is definitely in the top tier of pitchers. Maybe he has to pitch well against BG to recieve credit on this forum?! Smile
Anyone who has a D1 scholarship belongs in any conversation with top pitchers in NH. It isn't like we have a lot of D1 players as it is.
To say otherwise is just insane. IMHO

He's already done that (pitch well vs. BG that is)... I think he's been out there since Freshman year, too. I think the Observer remarked about not being a fan which I hope wasn't taken as a knock on ability/placement in the top group. He certainly deserves to be in the conversation though!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball23 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am

Portsmouth's loss to Oyster River Monday in D2 shows how the Clipper program is in for some growing pains after all the success they have had. Travis Hackett (headed to Franklin Pierce) is a great lefty for OR but has been having arm issues. He out dueled Ricky Holt so that's saying something.

baseball23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 pm

We are all entitled to opinions. But I have to agree that the short list of 6 needs to be stretched a bit... To leave Wojciak, Maloney, and even Lupi out of any conversation as to who is the best D1 pitcher is ridiculous. They have done it in the past. I am predicting that they will do it again this season. But that's my opinion.
Now I know some on this thread will argue "what does last year have to do with anything" be it All-State selection or big game performance, but Wojciak did it in 2012 and was rightfully rewarded, All-State 1st team. The line for his opening day victory, 5 innings 9 K's over Timberlane is nothing to sneeze at. Maloney has been in the conversation for a few years. Not sure if he threw in Londonderry's opening day victory yesterday. Some great high school sports coverage by the Union Leader, but that's another discussion as to why a high school game gets 25 words and the Boston pro teams 25,000 words. St.A's and SNHU barely get a shout. If you told me the local papers were dropping high school and college coverage, (and adding another photo of Rory McElroy and his tennis playing girlfriend) I would never buy the thing. Back on track, I have been impressed with Lupi since I first saw him "pitch." Love the lefthander.
Let's enjoy the next 2 months.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  DBack on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm

I get a kick out of some of the posts on this site. The "Observer" obviously has a big agenda against Moloney from Londonderry. I saw this kind of thing on the basketball site too. What happened? Did he strike your kid out last year or something? Is this jealousy? Just because YOUR kid probably won't go Div 1 doesn't mean you have to hate. Last year I saw Moloney outpitch Tom Hudon against Merrimack. Yes, Merrimack won the game, but those who saw it know they won the game 2-1 after the defense allowed 2 late unearned runs. This took nothing away from what was a tremendous pitching performance by Moloney. From what I understand, when he lost games last year, he only lost in this fashion. I'm guessing there aren't many division one college coaches out there looking at these sites, but if there are, I beg you to come into this site and give a harsh dose of reality to some of these dads, and let them know what separates kids like Ryan Moloney and Matt Fortin (and some others) from Division 2 & 3 candidates. Some jealous parents will have a difficult time accepting that their kid just doesn't have what these kids (and some others) have. No shame with Div 2 or 3.

DBack
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 pm

baseball23 wrote:Portsmouth's loss to Oyster River Monday in D2 shows how the Clipper program is in for some growing pains after all the success they have had. Travis Hackett (headed to Franklin Pierce) is a great lefty for OR but has been having arm issues. He out dueled Ricky Holt so that's saying something.

Both starters left the game after five full innings with their pitch count getting up there. The score was 1-1, with each pitcher giving up an unearned run. Both bullpens faltered, with Portsmouth's faltering more. Hackett did look good; he had some good pop, and lefties are always hard to hit. I agree that Portsmouth will see some growing pains this year. Depth of pitching (especially if they run into extra 3-game weeks due to weather) will be key for them.

Someone else tweeted (can't remember who) that it's been a long time since Portsmouth and St. Thomas both lost on the same day. I think D-2 is going to be everyone chasing Goffstown. Pembroke is also off to a good start.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Whether players go DI, DII or DIII - each do so for a variety of reasons. Some for talent, scholarship offers, others for cost & family affordability, others for academics or proximity, etc. The list is endless.
As for people's opinions, they are just that, opinions. We all base them on the number of opportunities we've had to see these different players. I didn't think negative of any comments on here with respect to players, I realize its based on the limited times they've seen all players. I enjoy reading the insight into all the players that I am not familiar with. Thanks to The Observer, baseball4ever, JAF and Seacoast Dad for getting this thread going. Look forward to positive, constructive and informative input. Here's to a great WARM baseball season. Let's see if there will be any Friday games this week.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 am

I do not have any kids for starters DBack. Second, I am a coach so I may have a bit of expertise in this area, but as you guys may know each coach has their own preferences and styles so keep that in mind. I have nothing personal against Maloney he is a good pitcher, but I just have not seen the dramatic improvement that should come from a kid that plays varsity for 4 years. Plus, I'm not a big fan of hype. BTW, What D1 school is he going to? Everyone says he is going D1 but seems not to mention where.

On another note, the season is already shaping up to be interesting already with the rain this week. Can everyone say 4 game weeks as we move through the season. The teams with depth are separated from all the rest.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Justgivemethefacts on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:15 am

Interesting read on players to watch...

Baseball is a cruel sport and pitchers are a rare breed. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball, coach baseball, played baseball. April's "hero" often become June's "also ran". I applaud any kid that wants the ball in his hand, standing on the bump. So many factors beyond the pitchers' control often determine if he's a hero or the goat. Simply throwing hard doesn't secure a low ERA and high school pitchers must be able to "pitch", show mental toughness and rely on some run support, rely on his teammates to make routine plays behind him, hope his catcher is on the same page with him and, oh yeah, convince the boys in blue behind the dish that he is pounding the strike zone enough that he gets the close calls in the 5th, 6th, 7th innings of work. Considering all the factors that are beyond the pitchers control, I wonder why any kid would want the ball, standing on the bump for all the world to critique. Like I said, baseball can be a cruel sport, pitchers should receive grief counseling, but count me, there is no more fascinating game to watch.

Justgivemethefacts
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

As CasualFan points out - it's opinions folks.

DBack: Be careful of what you assume or "read into" a post. Since you read the basketball posts you know things get nasty and personal quick at times. When they do Eliot steps in. Don't make it personal. I don't know how you can interpret "not a fan of" as "obviously has a big agenda against Moloney".

Observer: Remember that others may take your opinions the wrong way. I know there's a huge difference between saying "I'm not a fan of" and "I don't think he's good", but others may not perceive it that way. In any case, Ryan has a UMass Amherst scholly, see (search on his last name):

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/19989/local-national-letter-of-intent-signers

Another place to look for HS players college choices is:

http://showcaseleague.com/alumni/

The whole thread of recruiting deserved it's own topic - so I split everything from here to there, see:

http://www.nhsportsforum.com/t1346-recruiting

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: