New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

2013 Teams and Players to Watch

+12
baseball23
NHbaseballdad13
BoscoD39
nhball9
Baseball Fan
nhsportsfan8901
JAF
mmartineaunhti2015
baseball4ever
NHSPORTS22
The Observer
Pastime714
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2013 Teams and Players to Watch Empty 2013 Teams and Players to Watch

Post  Pastime714 Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 pm

The 2013 High School baseball season will soon be upon us. I think it will be an interesting season with some new teams along with new coaches and players to watch. Does anyone have any insight on the upcoming season?

Pastime714
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

2013 Teams and Players to Watch Empty Re: 2013 Teams and Players to Watch

Post  The Observer Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:14 pm

In D1 the top teams will be Concord, Spaulding, and BG. Each team can hit very well, and has pitching depth. North will struggle without Henderson coaching the team, and they lack offense around maybe the best player in the state. Bedford will also struggle with the jump to D1 after losing a lot of seniors. Timberlane, Londonderry, and Merrimack are some teams that may jump into the upper echelon this season, but a lot will have to go right. A dark horse team may be Pinkerton who has a new head coach, Campo, who will turn that program around, how quick depends on the talent he gets.

As for player to watch throughout the season just to name a few:

Nick Reed OF - South
Anthony Lupi LHP - Dover
Kyle McCarthy LHP - North
Matt Fortin C - North
Brendan Martin SS - North
Jeff Lunn P/1B/3B - BG
Matt Morais P/3B - BG
Eric Damphousse OF - BG
Jake Damphousse - Timberlane (no relation to above)
Ethan Joyce SS - Exeter
Matt Wojciak P - Merrimack
Carmen Giampatruzzi P/OF - Trinity

There are many other kids that will have breakout years, or that are not on this list, but in D1 these are some "sleepers" and big names to watch.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

2013 Teams and Players to Watch Empty Listen Buddy....

Post  NHSPORTS22 Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm telling you right now Timberlane is in the "Upper Echelon" already... They were 14-4 last season and return all but THREE starters! They return two stud pitchers and a lineup to make your knees shake. Timberlane will be the team to beat. lol!

NHSPORTS22
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Timberlane was good last year, but had A LOT of 1-2 run wins. There is no doubt they will be good, but its consistency with every team that will be the determining factor.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSPORTS22 Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't think you can say that when the team goes 14-4 they must of had more than a couple two game win streaks they were in the top five. I don't care if they win once every five games if you end up 14 and 4 you end up 14 and 4. The owls are ready to leave the nest and take that team all they way

NHSPORTS22
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

NHSPORTS, I believe OBSERVER was saying Timberlane won a bunch of 1-2 run wins...not winning streaks. I didn't realize the were 14-4. I saw them once and they had a nice young lefty. I don't remember his name. 14-4 was a strong showing. I don't remember much about what happened to them in the playoffs.

In D1, no doubt BG is going to be good. I saw Lunn, McQuarrie, and Kernan in the Showcase league and they all performed well.

North has McCarthy and Matt Fortin. Don't know Brendan Martin that well, but I seem to remember a decent, young shortstop in their program. I've seen McCarthy pitch a few times, he is capable. Strength up the middle is a good thing.

OBSERVER,
Speaking of strength up the middle Merrimack is right there. Aside from All-state 1st team Wojciak, they have switch-hitting Jr. Mickey Gasper, a 2nd team all-atate selection behind the plate and Taylor Black returning at SS. Both had great Fall seasons in the GSBL. I believe Black is poised for a break-out senior year. Yes, the team lost a lot to graduation...the question is can they STAY in the upper echelon? With a new manager Nick Jaskolka, we will see.

Londonderry with Maloney, some may argue the best right-hander in D1, is always solid. He will be joined by Rob DelSignore, whom I believe may be a sleeper left-hander. Add Jake Cassidy who is always a pest, a tough out. Londonderry is tough.

There are a bunch of lefties in D1, Anthony Lupi from Dover is one. Watching him pitch is a lot of fun. I won't forget his performance against North last season....a 1-0 loss I believe vs. Mellin. Giampetruzzi from Trinity is one you can not leave off.

Josh Partridge a senior from Concord is another southpaw who will be a sleeper.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

What about Manchester Central?

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

w/r/t Timberlane:
I think they will be better than the Observer believes. Also the Damphousse's are cousins. The core of that group I've seen since we played them in AAU - they were the Hornets and were always competitive.

w/r/t BG:
Sure they have a good core, but there's also quite a few that haven't seen Varsity pitching. Everyone knows there's a big difference. They have a rather young group beyond Lunn and Morais. Sure Damphousse and McQuarrie saw quite a bit of Varsity time. I think they'll be good, but I have green tinted glasses too!

w/r/t: Merrimack
That'll be a good team. Jaz knows how to win too. As long as Woj can keep the walks down and the emotions in check - he'll be dominant. That's another group that's been together since they were 10 winning state titles in Cal Ripken.

w/r/t: Londonderry
Missed out on one more pitcher - Corey - he's pretty good. I've seen Maloney up and down - too inconsistent for me, but he's got a D1 scholarship and I don't :-)

re: Central/MJM:
I dunno, you tell us :-)

North:
Good up the middle... Martin is the SS they brought with them to the championship game last year. It'll be interesting to see if this is still Henerson's team or if Harvell will have more influence

South:
Could be a rough go... Jury is still out on whether Roper can make a difference. Tough to take over from BJ

Concord:
Always tough - good feeder program from Big Blue

Alvirne:
Mike Lee usually has them ready to go. They'll go as far as their pitchers can take them. The Brown's are good athletes.

Trinity:
Always solid - they have big G going for them once a week. A BC scholarship in hand... still a JR

Memorialt:
Who knows anything here?

Keene:
Always a tough baseball team to play

Pinky:
New coach w/ Campo - he'll work them hard. The catcher is pretty good, but I think they'll be young

Salem:
Always competitive - solid program.

Winnicunnet, Exeter, Spaulding, Dover:
Not much insight here. Dover does have Lupi and a core that went to the NE regionals for Jr Legion

Bedford:
That jump to D1 will certainly test them and they don't have those stud pitchers like they used to have.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Central has a new coach in Kevin O'Leary. that is all I know. I know a couple kids on the varsity team like Plentzas, Makris, and Duffley were on the jv team last year.

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:33 pm

On Merrimack:
@ baseball4ever No doubt they will be good, but the adjustment to a new coach will be key. I am not that well versed in the Merrimack talent pool, but Gasper and Black do ring a bell. They will be a tough scrappy team, and should be top 8.

On Timberlane:
As I said lots of close wins (could care less about streaks) and made many mistakes (field/baserunning) last year, but being young last year gives them experience this year. 14-4 is nothing to shake a head at; creates a winning culture.

On Londonderry:
They will be young. Maloney will be good again, but he has been playing varsity for 4 years, and the improvement has not been there, coaches know how to attack him. they lost a catcher as well to BG.

On BG:
@ JAF yes they have a good core (Morais, Lunn, McQuarrie), but they have a good mix of youth. As for starters behind Lunn and Morais, I know they had a few sophomores test the varsity waters in some key games (Mizerwa, Williams, and Dipasqualie, probably butchered those names). Damphousse is their best outfielder, their transfer catcher can stroke the ball, and they will be good defensively. In addition, Scott Painter has instilled a winning culture back at BG with back to back winning seasons.

On North:
They got McCarthy and Robert on the hill. Martin up the middle, and Fortin behind the plate. They are supposed to have depth in the program, but they lost at least 9 seniors so there will be lots of youth. They will be a wild card cause they know how to win. Harvell was a surprise choice from my perspective was not impressed by him at the JV level, but lets see how he does.

On South:
They are going to be in disarray. Roper is running the program into the ground. Reed is the lone star on that team that lost a lot of seniors last year, and it will be a rebuilding year for the Panthers.

On Concord:
They always hit, and they usually have good pitching depth. Filling the losses of Dionne and McIntyre will be key. Won states last year, and will be tough again.

On Memorial/Central:
No idea on either of them. Memorial was a surprise last year making it to the final four, but I believe they lost a lot of talent, and I would assume a rebuilding year. Central should be good, but I do not know about their talent level. Central will also have an adjustment with a new coach.

On Salem/Keene:
No big names to my knowledge, but always tough to play against. Especially going to Keene. But no doubt these teams will be playing coming June.

On Winny/Exeter/Dover:
All of these teams are the same level. Exeter will be the best of all of them, Joyce is very good. Exeter did not lose too much talent, and will have experience but pitching is an issue. Winny is a good hitting team but lacks pitching and defense, but year to year things can change. Dover is solid in the field, and is deep on the mound with Lupi leading the way. Offensively they will struggle but they gave North a run for their money in the 1st round last year.

On Pinkerton
Campo is a hell of a coach and will motivate those boys. @JAF - I do not think they are as young as they were last year, but depends on how Campo picks his team. Could be a sleeper, and Campo will win them 2 or 3 games.

On Spaulding:
They will be solid. They have experience, and to my knowledge the biggest loss is Dow. Spaulding can hit and field; pitching is their big question mark. I can not remember much else about them besides last year they were young and they were good then, passed my eye test.

On Bedford:
They do not have an ace that is known, as JAF alluded to, but who knows what is in the wings for this team. THey will be very young, and the jump to D1 will be tough, but let us see how they do.

Feels good to be talking baseball again.

I also have a grievance with baseball in the state: Why are Gofsftown and Portsmouth still down in Division II? They dominated last year, and Portsmouth is always good. I know the petitioning and school size requirements, but at what point does a school need to humiliate others before they get forced up. Similar to BG and Exeter in football.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Goffstown is going to be very tough in D2. Arguably a year that they could have challenge for a D1 championship. Barss is legit. Consistent low 90's. University of Rhode Island next year. Putnam threw well in the Legion tourney. They have another Jr. right-hander whose name escapes me, pitched varsity last year. Routhier can swing it. He will be at FPU in 2014. It would have been nice to see them in a restructured D1 where they play a home and home with say BG, Merrimack, Concord, Trinity...

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

It be great to see them play in D1. The year before they dropped down they went to the final four, they are playing down. Same goes for Portsmouth.

Barrs is legit saw him as a sophomore and he threw hard then.

But what can we do.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportsfan8901 Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

baseball4ever wrote:Goffstown is going to be very tough in D2. Arguably a year that they could have challenge for a D1 championship. Barss is legit. Consistent low 90's. University of Rhode Island next year. Putnam threw well in the Legion tourney. They have another Jr. right-hander whose name escapes me, pitched varsity last year. Routhier can swing it. He will be at FPU in 2014. It would have been nice to see them in a restructured D1 where they play a home and home with say BG, Merrimack, Concord, Trinity...

Not only will Barss be legit, but also look for Nick Massa of Kennett, Sacred Heart commit David Drouin of MV, and UNH football commit Ricky Holt of Portsmouth to help pitch their teams into contention this year. Drouin spun a gem in last year's American Legion state tournament against Portsmouth (including Jordan Bean and Winnicunnet's Ben Gareau) and will be pitching for the Seacoast Mavericks this summer. Despite that, here are my questions for D1 and D2 this year:

Does Saint Thomas have what it takes to repeat? They lost 14 players including Gatorade Player of the Year Bean.

Will Portsmouth be able to stay near the top despite the loss 12 seniors? They have one of the best pitchers and overall players in NH coming back in Holt but who will pitch behind him and who else could be contributors for Portsmouth?

Will Bedford be able to compete in D1? They have a very good catcher in Andrew Lalonde, but how about their surrounding cast?

I am very excited for this season to unfold and I also agree @Baseball4ever about how there should be out of division games.

nhsportsfan8901
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

2013 Teams and Players to Watch Empty Others

Post  Baseball Fan Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 pm

You missed quite a few names in your players to watch. The Brown kid at Alvirne is already being looked at by Northeastern. The Luopa kid in deciding on NE-10 schools or Eckerd in Florida. Heard Danny Moylan is the new coach at Keene too. That makes them much better and they might be young but they will compete!

Baseball Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Forgot about the Brown kid. He is a good ball player. And I am sure there are many more kids that we missed....

I am sure that Keene will compete they always do regardless of the coach.

Baseball is the toughest sport to predict because any team can beat anyone on an6y given day, and the factors that go into winning a game are so vast that it is so difficult to postulate who will be good and who "won't".

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 am

Let's start with returning D1 all-state players, their current grade, and school. Then go from there with Teams and players to watch in 2013.
Hopefully, no spelling errors or omissions.

1st team:
Matt Fortin 12 North
Ethan Joyce 12 Exeter
Nick Reed 12 South
Jake Damphouse 11 Timberlane
Matt Wojciak 12 Merrimack

2nd team:
Alex Grey 12 Spaulding
Cam Hauze 11 Winn
Mickey Gasper 11 Merrimack
Carmen Giampatruzzi 11 Trinity
Jack Cassidy 12 Londonderry
Jake Cameron 12 Timberlane
Joe Lemenager 12 Salem
Kyle McCarthy 12 North
Ryan Maloney 12 Londonderry
Matt Morais 12 BG

3rd team:
Rob Del Signore 11 Londonderry
Pat Emanuelson 12 Alvirne
Cody Ferns 12 Concord
Ben Gareau 12 Winn
Jeff Lunn 12 BG
Mike Ryan 10 Londonderry
Kyle Sewards 12 Dover

As been said on this blog before these lists may or may not be a complete snap-shot of who is a contender for Concord's D1 crown. Also, Andy LaLonde coming with Bedford was 1st team D2.

# of players per team returning
Londonderry 4
BG, Timberlane, North, Winn, and Merrimack 2
South, Dover, Concord, Exeter, Trinity, Bedford, Alvirne, Salem, and Spaulding 1
Based on the numbers above it's Londonderry the clear favorite. Just kidding.

Coach to watch (with no players on the list) Steve Campo, Pinkerton.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm not sure how this list says anything about 2013. We are talking about high school athletes and how much things can change in a year make this reasoning moot.

going along with this thread my top 5 are (in no order) 1. BG (very tough pitching, hitting a question) 2. North (pitching and defense should be there, again questionable hitting) 3. Londonderry (similar to first two except better offense) 4. Trinity (same as top two) 5. Timberlane (one really good pitcher and decent offense).

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I think it says some coaches are better than others at convincing other coaches who the top players are Laughing (it's a joke - don't take me literally - although I'm not really a fan of the voting process).

Did Lupi (Dover, lefty) really not get a top 3?

Pitching and defense, pitching and defense... I think teams with depth at pitching could fare well during the season. It's a short season perhaps made shorter by the time teams can get on their fields. One need only look out the window today to be reminded of that (although I'm in Sunny FL watching my older son play, so I'm missing out on that - it's 70 and very sunny today sunny )

There could be quite a few 4 game weeks on the horizon. Curious to see if/how the playoff pitching rules change this year. It's also a condensed playoff season of 2 weeks rather than the 3 we had last year, see http://nhiaa.org/PDFs/4495/SpringTournament201213.pdf .

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Now that he is a cult hero in the basketball forum, people should know Pat Mahoney of Timberlane is a better shortstop than a shooting guard. I'm sure the Pat Mahoney tributes will continue through the spring.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:33 pm

NHball9,

In sports what does a fan or an analyst base speculation and predictions on? Past performance? Or watching someone warm up before the game. Past performance usually helps in handicapping. However, I'm not so naive to believe that studying past performance is sure-fire. I have lost a few horse races.

But...lets take a look, anyway. I would think that someone who picks BG to be a competitive force in D1 because of their pitching would have seen Lunn and Morais, I have. Therefore, their selections by the coaches to All-state seem to be accurate. And I agree that BG will contend. North is also mentioned below as a contender because of pitching and defense. McCarthy and Fortin....they were All-State by the coaches. I have seen them both, and agree. North will win their share of baseball games. Londonderry, with 4 players on last year's all-state team was selected as a possible #3. The will certainly win more than they lose.

By no means are coaches perfect. Maybe Tom Diskin, a freshman at Pinkerton last season, DID deserve to be all-state as was promoted in certain NH Baseball blogs last June. Maybe his coach was absent when the coaches met. I'm not sure if I heard that. I may have. No other Pinkerton players were recognized, and at least 3 were all-state selections in 2011 as juniors.

Yes, maybe other players were left of the list. Maybe other players were deserving. Maybe, a player follows up an all-state year with an off year. Maybe. Maybe the numbers don't match-up and one player is chosen over another equally deserving one. I know in basketball 6 is a small #. That's all the coaches are allowed. 6 picks for 1st team, 6 for 2nd, and a handful for honorable mention. Baseball has 3rd team. Somewhere near 60 are selected for the 3 teams.

JAF, I know Anthony Lupi is a good pitcher. I have seen him throw a dozen times. His performance against North last spring was masterful. He was a stud in the GSBL fall showcase. Were politics involved in his omission? I don't know.

I do believe that most coaches take things seriously. Since they are not allowed to vote for their own players, I would like to believe they are sincere in their selection of the opposition. Not conspiring with other coaches "I will pick your guy if you pick mine."

So, I do believe the all-state list is an indicator as to what a team or a player MAY do the following season. Is it a guarantee of anything? No.

I don't know everyone. That's why I look at indicators. Last year's all-state, GSBL statistics, and/or coaches previews. Because I don't really know what kind of work, how much work, or who did the player work with over the winter.

Concord, 2012 defending state champion, had 3 underclassmen on 1st and 2nd team all-state in 2011, Dionne, McIntire, and Emmerson. All key players. Runner-up Merrimack had 2. (Hudon and King) Although indicators such as the the previous seasons all-state selection are not concrete indicators of performance. They are not moot. They are relevant.

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

All State in/for baseball is a bit different than basketball. The process to choose is certainly more geared towards what a specific player did against your team. I don't think coaches exchange game films in baseball like they do in football. Basketball is another one where there's tons of film. So for baseball a vote or not for a player is I think more subjective. The process makes me think about all those LL coaches sitting in a room deciding who the best 12 players in their town are and all the shenanigans that are rumoured to take place in that process Very Happy

I do believe, for the most part every year the list is 95% spot on. You just wonder about the 5%. Some people concern themselves too much with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team - really who cares. Out of 250-300 players at D1 - if you're top 50 - that's still pretty good. No one outside the coaches really knows what separates a pitcher from team1 vs. team2 - it's just perception of that game and word of mouth. I still think too many coaches are wrapped up with velocity vs. effectiveness and sometimes they don't get to see leadership qualities or lack thereof. The kids know who the better players are and one wonders why they don't get a say in the process - think about it. Batters know which pitchers they don't want to see and pitchers know which batters they would prefer to work around.

Oh well - I'm just glad we're talking and thinking baseball!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

My Top 5:

1. BG
2. Londonderry
3. Spaulding
4. Concord
5. Londonderry

North will be around the top but besides McCarthy they do not have much pitching. Mike Robert is good, but not a starter. Fortin can not play every position either, but they will be a tough team.

On the all state selection topic, the list from last year means little or is mute because kids only get picked if their coach shows up to the all-state meaning. There are no South or Alvirne players on that list if you look. Reed and Brown both were 2nd teamers at least last year, so that just shows how selfish that process is.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Didn't mean to spark a discussion on the allstate teams. while I think it can be tweaked I wouldn't go so far as to call it selfish. any coaches out there want to give some input on this? Like JAF says it is usually about 95% on and nothing is perfect. BTW you must really like Londonderry, you list it twice Very Happy

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 pm

when i say selfish I more mean the coaches only want their players to make it, but they do get it right.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 pm

JAF,

I agree with everything. It is great to be talking baseball even when the snow falls in New Hampshire.

95% is pretty good. I wish i had that percentage in what I believe.
Nothing is perfect.

Observer ,
You say....On the all state selection topic, the list from last year means little or is mute because kids only get picked if their coach shows up to the all-state meaning. There are no South or Alvirne players on that list if you look. Reed and Brown both were 2nd teamers at least last year, so that just shows how selfish that process is.

I'm not sure what list you are speaking about. Reed was 1st team all-state. He made it as a sophomore as well. Also, Alvirne had Emmaulson on the 2012 all-state list.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : error)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next